[soc.feminism] Reading List

feit@acsu.buffalo.edu (Elissa Feit) (11/23/90)

In article <1990Nov11.213911.848@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.EDU ("J. Eric Townsend") writes:

>What men's liberation movement are you talking about?  Any journals
>or books you'd care to cite?

Brod, Harry (ed.) (1987), The Making of Masculinities: The New Men's
Studies (Boston: Allen & Unwin).

also the journal

Changing Men: Issues in Gender, Sex and Politics,  a semi-annual
pro-feminist journal whose address is
    Changing Men
    306 N. Brooks
    Madison, WI 53715

And you may care to check out the book:

Men & Intimacy, editted by Franklin Abbott (1990), (Freedom CA.: The Crossing
Press)

On the other side:
There ARE a bunch of non-feminist "men's liberation" writers around,
but I WON'T recommend them due to their tendencies to blame women for
men's powerlessness when very often it's various rigidities in the society
which are holding us ALL down ...

[ E.g., Hillel pointed out (previous post) that men STILL live shorter
lives, and says (~) therefore feminism HASN'T changed men's lives ...
ok, but that is because we haven't gone FAR enough - not because we've
gone anywhere at all. ]

I think no-one can be free until we all are...

Elissa Feit (feit@cs.buffalo.edu // {rutgers,uunet}!cs.buffalo.edu!feit)
               I know it's over, and it never really began,
               but in my heart it was so real - The Smiths