[soc.feminism] Who gets to look

fester@wolf.cs.washington.EDU (Lea Fester) (11/19/90)

In article <1990Nov17.155213.23767@arris.com> uunet!arris!rshapiro@ncar.ucar.EDU (Richard Shapiro) writes:
>What's the relevance of this? The point is: the position of being a
>spectator is, like most social positions, gendered. This is not to say
>that only men can be spectators; it is to say the spectator position
>has long been a "masculine" position. Even a cursory look at classic

Right.  In daily life, this is abundantly obvious any time I walk
around with men - most of them compulsively and blatantly check out
every attractive woman we pass by.  (I say 'compulsively' because I
think, they do it so much, it must be unconscious behavior.  But I
could be wrong.) I think of this as the "I LOOK, THEREFORE I AM
(male)" mindset.

>There's an undeniable social fact, at least in this country: women are
>FAR more conscious of their appearance than men are of theirs. The
>gendered nature of spectacle helps to explain why this should be so,
>and also suggests that this is important ground for feminism. Ending
>women's status as objects rather than subjects, the object seen rather
>than the seeing subject, must involve consideration of women's own
>self-identity, insofar as that identity is formed according to
>gendered positions of spectator and spectacle.

Another option is to render men objects as much as they are subjects.
(I differentiate this from simply making women subjects, that is, not
seen.)  This gives women the option of being an objectifier rather
than an object.  Or rather, since one cannot choose to not be an
object, treating men like objects as well at least brings parity into
the world.

I don't like the second alternative, but it IS within our power,
unlike the first.  (I.e. we can treat men like objects, although we
cannot make them not treat us as such.)  I tend to do it only in
retaliation, i.e. to people who deserve it.  When I see some man
looking up the length of my body, I wait until he is looking at my
face so that he sees me looking at him, then I stare at his crotch.
The results generally prove that although men protest that looking at
women is harmless and uninsulting, they feel differently when they are
being objectified.

LeaF

ag1v+@andrew.cmu.EDU ("Andrea B. Gansley-Ortiz") (11/21/90)

What is objectifying?  Is it simply the gazing upon a human being that
causes them to be objectified, or is it the thought processes of the
spectator that actually cause the objectifying?

I look at men in a lusty manner.  I enjoy it.  I have never seen any
of them notice that they were being watched.  I doubt that they felt
objectified.  Were they?  By my looking I am certainly not trying to
degrade them.  I never do catcalls as I do consider that degrading and
this is not my intention.

Now, by the definitions I've seen on here I was definitely degrading
each man I looked at and shouldn't do it.

But are they really degraded?  Do they feel degraded?  If not, who are
we to say that they are?

There are women who enjoy being looked at.  Not all women do.
Something that can work in the long run, but takes a lot of courage is
to tell the spectator that you don't appreciate thier glances and
would like them to stop.  Believe me, this doesn't work all the time.
Lea Fester's method of staring at a man's crotch when you know they've
been looking at you and they know you're now looking at them
definitely drives the point home that there are ways to make men also
feel degraded.

It feels good to put yourself in such a position of power that you can
actually do that to another person without saying a word to them.  Is
that a good way to do it?  I think that people have to decide that for
themselves.  But if you feel that you are being degraded by someone,
either in their eyes or in your own, don't do nothing about it.  Use
Lea's method. Use mine. Use something so that whoever is doing the
objectifying knows that this is how people percieve what they are
doing and that they should stop.  You might get laughed at using my
method.  But if they were objectifying you or someone else to begin
with how much do you really value their opinion anyway?

Something that women need to work on is not allowing those things
which they consider degrading to happen to them.  Any kind of small
protest whether it is in your mind or to the world will help it stop.

Think of it this way.  If women in general don't feel degraded by
being looked at by men, then they aren't being degraded.

There is a difference between actions and thoughts.  Usually people
think before they act (hopefully).  If people start changing their
thought processes then other changes will come in time.

Just food for thought.

Andrea

Thomas.Farmer@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (11/21/90)

   I feel I should mention a contra example when it comes to men

   Recently I saw a women dressed all in black. Unlike most people who

   The point of the story?  The woman gave me a very hostile look

   Then I realised that she thought I had been ogling her body! A

Thomas.Farmer@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (11/22/90)

[This is a resend of the earlier mangled article (due, I think, to
line noise on my modem).  Since neither of us managed to save it, this
is a paraphrase of the original article.  --CLT]

Some people were commenting about how men 'ogle' women.

I just had one contra example...

Recently I saw a woman dressed completely in black. I don't mean she
was wearing mainly black clothes. This was ALL black!

I scanned my eyes up and down her body - looking for the smallest hint
of colour - a label perhaps. Nope. This was all black.

Then I was surprised to see that this woman was looking at me in a
very hostile way. I then realised that she thought I had been ogling
her body or something and was therefore offended.

I don't know about you lot, but it seems to me that the more we expect
to be offended, the more offended we get, even by innocent actions.

rshapiro@arris.com (Richard Shapiro) (11/23/90)

In article <13781@june.cs.washington.edu> Lea Fester <fester@wolf.cs.washington.EDU> writes:
>[Richard Shapiro wrote:]

>>Ending
>>women's status as objects rather than subjects, the object seen rather
>>than the seeing subject, must involve consideration of women's own
>>self-identity, insofar as that identity is formed according to
>>gendered positions of spectator and spectacle.

>Another option is to render men objects as much as they are subjects.
>(I differentiate this from simply making women subjects, that is, not
>seen.)  This gives women the option of being an objectifier rather
>than an object.  Or rather, since one cannot choose to not be an
>object, treating men like objects as well at least brings parity into
>the world.

I'm not sure this would help, This kind of reversal tends to come off
as a kind of parody, something not to be taken seriously (like
Playgirl magazine or male strip joints).

You're probably right that there's little to be done in the short term
to end this gendered spectatorship. But there may be actions we can
take that will be useful in the longer term:

  -  Education.  Many people don't even realize that this is an issue
     at all, or if they do realize it, they discount it. It helps (I
     think) to show people just how pervasive this set-up really is,
     and to theorize what its effects are. I believe that this is a
     crucial aspect of the oppression of women that is completely
     untouched by the liberal economic approaches: equal pay, equal
     job opportunities, etc. Not the latter are unimportant. But on
     their own, they will never be sufficient.

  -  Self-criticism. That's a loaded term, I know. But it is important
     to recognize the self-image component of the gendered spectator.
     There was a report about a year ago in which it was found that,
     at the age of 5 (or so), girls and boys had more or less
     identical notions of self-image and self-worth. By the age of 10,
     girls had become overwhelmingly concerned over their appearance
     (whether they were "pretty") whereas boys became concerned over
     their relative strength (or how "tough" they were). In other
     words, women oppress themselves as much as men oppress them.

>When I see some man
>looking up the length of my body, I wait until he is looking at my
>face so that he sees me looking at him, then I stare at his crotch.

This might be called "phallocentric". Since the disappearance of the
cod-piece, male genitals have ceased to be much of a spectacle in day
to day life. So your action isn't really the converse of his action,
but something else altogether. I'm not sure you really want to put
such an emphasis on the guy's penis. Compare "length of my body" with
"his crotch". Your entire body is on display, whereas only a tiny
piece of him is (and it really isn't unless he's naked or wearing
peculiar clothing).  There's an elaborate theory of the central
signifying role of the phallus as the primary signifier of gender. I
don't want to try to get into that here, except to say that you may be
encouraging this, unintentionally.

Also, men would have to be subjected to this every day, for most of
there lives, by a significant number of women, for this strategy to be
effective. They would have to see themselves completely on display
throughout public and private life. This would result in a kind of
equality, and you may be right that it's more feasible than ending the
female spectacle. I find that a depressing thought, but it may be a
realistic one.