[soc.feminism] Sexual Attraction

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (10/30/90)

-----

In article <26364.272c0370@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, huxtable@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
> ... If we don't work for a society where these perceptions are
> different we probably won't get such a society. ...
>
> I don't expect your feelings to be under your conscious control. ...
> But you can influence your feelings by your thoughts and you can
> influence your thoughts by your actions. And yes, it takes time, is
> subtle, and is only marginally voluntary.

Before one puts effort into this time consuming process in return
for some subtle effects, it might be appropriate to ask what
one's goal is in doing so, and in particular, why it is important
to society.  There are some things that are obviously worthwhile
to the individual.  At the conscious level, there is the
recognition that not everyone has the same tastes, and that one's
own tastes set no objective standard.  At a more subtle level,
one (hopefully) learns that some tastes are superficial and
others have deeper import.

But where is the social goal?  Ms Huxtable wants us to "work for
a society where these perceptions are different".  Different how?
Where people's tastes are the same?  Where appearance is totally
irrelevant to sexual attraction?  (Really?)  And how is this
social goal, whatever it is, tied to feminism?

Russell

huxtable@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/31/90)

In article <26364.272c0370@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, I wrote:
words about changing one's perceptions.

In article <14097@cs.utexas.edu>, turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) writes:
> Before one puts effort into this time consuming process in return
> for some subtle effects, it might be appropriate to ask what
> one's goal is in doing so, and in particular, why it is important
> to society.  There are some things that are obviously worthwhile
> to the individual.  At the conscious level, there is the
> recognition that not everyone has the same tastes, and that one's
> own tastes set no objective standard.  At a more subtle level,
> one (hopefully) learns that some tastes are superficial and
> others have deeper import.
>
> But where is the social goal?  Ms Huxtable wants us to "work for
> a society where these perceptions are different".  Different how?
> Where people's tastes are the same?  Where appearance is totally
> irrelevant to sexual attraction?  (Really?)  And how is this
> social goal, whatever it is, tied to feminism?

I agree with Russell.  One should always consider one's goals.  What I
am after is a society where each individual is treated as a unique
individual, rather than as a set of deviations from some putative
norm.

Obviously, people have different criteria from each other for sexual
attraction.  This won't change and I don't think it *should* change.
But if we have a society where we each recognize that every other
individual has hopes, aspirations, abilities, and limitations and that
these may have little in common with our own and that this is not a
bad thing then I hope we would have a society I would prefer living in
to this one.

If you can parse the above sentence, I nominate you for the
pseudo-intellectual of the year award.  I talk like that in (what
passes for) real life.  Isn't that scary?

--
Kathryn Huxtable
huxtable@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

morphy@truebalt.cco.caltech.EDU (Jones Maxime Murphy) (11/01/90)

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) writes:

>In article <1990Oct26.170150.9341@nntp-server.caltech.edu> morphy@truebalt.cco.caltech.EDU (Jones Maxime Murphy) writes:
>>> [...] In my native Caribbean and in Latin America, I find men much
>>> more open-minded about what's "attractive" in female bodies. [...]

>But where is the social goal?  Ms Huxtable wants us to "work for
>a society where these perceptions are different".  Different how?
>Where people's tastes are the same?  Where appearance is totally
>irrelevant to sexual attraction?  (Really?)  And how is this
>social goal, whatever it is, tied to feminism?

There is a definite double standard between the genders as far as the
percentage of each gender that matches its "ideal body type". The
ridiculously lean image of feminine beauty leads to dire consequences.
Excerpted from Time's new issue on women--twice as many women ages
30-64 as men think they're overweight. In a UC study, 58% of
17-year-old girls said they were overweight; only 17% actually were.
This farcical situation leads to low self-esteem and unneccessary
dieting.

Forget feminism for a second, how about common sense and good health?

Jones
Physics Department
California Institute of Technology

gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) (11/16/90)

In some article morphy@truebalt.cco.caltech.EDU (Jones Maxime Murphy) writes:

>30-64 as men think they're overweight. In a UC study, 58% of
>17-year-old girls said they were overweight; only 17% actually were.
>This farcical situation leads to low self-esteem and unneccessary

The pressures on men to be a *success*, and other cultural influence,
kill men faster than the cultural pressures (that you are so worried
about) that kill women.

Actually, on average, women live 10% longer than men...

>Forget feminism for a second, how about common sense and good health?

If you want to forget feminism and talk about health then I think that
would be a good idea to try solve the bigger problem (pressures that
kill men) too; since the subject has little to do with feminism I
direct the follow-up to soc.men

kenm@maccs.DCSS.McMaster.CA (...Jose) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Oct31.165320.15137@nntp-server.caltech.edu> morphy@truebalt.cco.caltech.EDU (Jones Maxime Murphy) writes:

>There is a definite double standard between the genders as far as the
>percentage of each gender that matches its "ideal body type". The
>ridiculously lean image of feminine beauty leads to dire consequences.
>Excerpted from Time's new issue on women--twice as many women ages
>30-64 as men think they're overweight. In a UC study, 58% of
>17-year-old girls said they were overweight; only 17% actually were.
>This farcical situation leads to low self-esteem and unneccessary
>dieting.

From my own, purely subjective, viewpoint, I have gotten the
impression that it is much easier for a woman to be considered as
physically/sexually attractive than a man.  Men can be attracted to a
broad range of physcial types: some like very thin, others more
volumptuos forms, some prefer women who are definitely plump.. some
men like small breasts, others find large breasts attractive, some
like narrow hips, others prefer rounded.  With the archetype of the
physically attractive male, it seems to be less varied: trim and
muscular, with varying degrees of muscularity.  The point is, that it
would actually take more effort (physical) for a man to fit the beauty
archetype than a woman.  This, of course, does not consider that women
may be less concerned that their man fit into the beauty archetype
than men are (about their women).  Basically, I think that men have a
more difficult/narrower ideal to conform to, but less pressure to
conform to it.

Of course, as a man, I only feel the societal pressure placed on me as
a man... a woman might argue the exact opposite to what I have said,
given her subjective experience, based on the societal pressure she
feels.

".sig quotes are dippy"|Kenneth C. Moyle          kenm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
 - Kenneth C. Moyle    |Department of Biochemistry     MOYLEK@MCMASTER.BITNET
                       |McMaster University       ...!uunet!mnetor!maccs!kenm

davej@yang.earlham.edu (David A. Jeroslow) (11/23/90)

Here's a quote I heard on television.

"Women learn to find attractive the man they love, whereas men learn to
love the woman they find attractive."

This goes well with what I've been taught since a child.  "Women care
more about who the man >is< rather than how they look."  I have even
heard this said by women my age.

Yet I find increasingly that these women are trying to paint a picture
for how they would >like< to be.  Too often I've seen intelligent
women, who are also feminists go out with some total asshole... with
a nice set of grabbable buns.  Yes, I've found women who "think with
their penis."

This doesn't bother me as much as the fact that these same women feel
that men should stop defining who women are, because men don't know
women.  Men overpower women because men are innately frightened of
women.  This is because women are "innately better than men."  "We
aren't so selfish and self-centered.  We like men who are smart and
nice first.  We don't think with our penis."

Just how true is this?

bloch%thor@ucsd.EDU (Steve Bloch) (12/08/90)

davej@yang.earlham.edu (David A. Jeroslow) writes:
>Here's a quote I heard on television.
>
>"Women learn to find attractive the man they love, whereas men learn to
>love the woman they find attractive."
>Just how true is this?

I don't find it particularly true.  I don't think I've ever fallen
seriously in love with a woman I'd been drooling over (figuratively,
privately :-) first, but on several occasions I've gradually become
physically attracted to a woman after becoming good friends with her.
I first noticed this in highschool, and thought it was a nice way for
the world to work.

Of course, a confounding factor is that at some subconscious level I
probably assume women who match societal norms of beauty are the least
interesting as people.  This is of course an unfair prejudice, and I
can counteract it consciously, but it's there.

--
"The above opinions are my own -- but that's just MY opinion."
Stephen Bloch

synth@yenta.alb.nm.us (Synth F. Oberheim) (01/02/91)

bloch%thor@ucsd.EDU (Steve Bloch) writes:

>I don't think I've ever fallen
>seriously in love with a woman I'd been drooling over (figuratively,
>privately :-) first, but on several occasions I've gradually become
>physically attracted to a woman after becoming good friends with her.
>I first noticed this in high school, and thought it was a nice way for
>the world to work.

I know a lot of people that should have your philosophy, but don't.
Instead they're locked into assuming that instant physical or sexual
attraction is the same thing as emotional attraction (love), and dive
into a relationship with someone they don't even really know ...

>Of course, a confounding factor is that at some subconscious level I
>probably assume women who match societal norms of beauty are the least
>interesting as people.  This is of course an unfair prejudice, and I
>can counteract it consciously, but it's there.

Actually I think that people who blindly follow societal norms *in
general* are less interesting and intelligent.  But you're right,
assuming it is a prejudice.  Sadly, though, I see this too much from
unintentional observation alone, so I've found having a prejudice
isn't necessary :-).

    :: :: :: :: ::     Synth (F. Oberheim)  yenta unix pc  (((((In Stereo)))))
 :: :: :: :: :: :: ::  synth@yenta.alb.nm.us  Albuquerque    where available
There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and
 that is not being talked about.  -- Oscar Wilde