[soc.feminism] another woman killed while jogging

rainbow@Eng.Sun.COM (queen of infinite space) (12/07/90)

HI -

I listen to Pacifica radio here in California (KPFA),
and this morning's program discussed the high increase
of violence against women.  They spoke of another woman
jogger out at Inspiration Point in Tilden Park who was
killed in daylight by her assailant.  Women are no
longer safe leaving their houses, and some would add that
we're not even safe _in_ our houses.

There are marches this weekend nationwide to commemorate
the massacre in Monstreal one year ago.  The one in
San Francisco is called "Take Back the Night" and is
for women-only.

I pass this on to you, without comment:

Reproduced without permission from _On Lies, Secrets,
and Silence: Selected Prose
1966-1978_, by Adrienne Rich.

This culture of manipulated passivity, nourishing violence
at its core, has every stake in opposing women actively
laying claim to our own lives.  Of all issues on which women
around the world are currently moving, the demand for
abortion rights has most often been used to distort and
distemper the meaning of our movement.  Abortion ... is a
concrete issue; hardly _the_ issue women would have chosen
to symbolize our struggle for self-determination, but one
which has been perhaps more mystified, more intellectualized
and emotionalized, than any other, and which glares out from
the complex spectrum of issues surrounding women's claim to
bodily ... integrity.  Sexual harassment on the job;
women-beating; rape; genital mutilation; pornography;
the use of dangerous and/or pacifying drugs on women;
equal pay for equal work; the rights of lesbian mothers;
the erasure of women from the history ... - these
are some of those issues; and most certainly the violent
seizure of poor and Third World women's uteruses by the
agents of enforced sterilization.  I think it is no accident
that for all the issues that our movement has been addressing,
abortion has become the most visible and emotionally charged
of all our efforts to speak for ourselves and defend our own
lives.  This process, named murder, has been selected to
represent the radical feminist struggle as antilife,
irresponsible, or ruthless ... .  A pornography of
antiabortion literature and imagery exists: the fetus who
will never disturb a mother's sleep; the fetishism of tiny
fingers and toes; the image of the callously death-dealing
mother.  Feminists have responded to this obscene campaign
by demonstrations with coat-hangers, reminding the public of
the thousands of women -- mostly poor women and women of
color -- who have died and will die of self-abortion or
botched illegal abortion.  But the imagery of violence
persists, whether as inflicted by a women on a fetus or on
herself.  The institutional and physical violences against
women which lead to an abortion decision, which force us to
exert our moral and political energies on this issue at all
instead of on ways to create a world more livable for the
living, remain unnamed and invisible in the rhetoric of the
opposition.  Philisophical, juridical, and Jesuitical
debates over the morality of abortion have long filled the
legal and theological casebooks, the texts of medical ethics.
Meanwhile, in churches and on the steps of legislatures the
issue is aired with the self-righteous emotionalism
which once marked the casting out of the unwed mother from
the community.  Both these forms of the debate are
framed in terms of a morality, an ethic, a social conscience
which is manmade and male-defined.  The questions raised
thereby (At what point is a fertilized egg a person? When
does the soul start to exist? Shall abortion, if legal, be
federally funded?) are inevitably male questions, poised in
a world view and an ethical system which has persistently
denied moral and ethical value to women, viewing us always
as marginal, dubious, or dangerous, and in need of special
controls.  It is time that we frame our own questions on
this as on every other issue...

In a world dominated by violent and passive-aggressive men,
and by male institutions dispensing violence, it is
extraordinary to note how often women are represented as the
perpetrators of violence, ... In reality, the feminist
movement could be said to be trying to visualize and make
way for a world in which abortion would not be necessary; a
world free from poverty and rape, in which young girls
would grow up with intelligent regard for and knowledge of
their bodies and respect for their minds, in which the
socialization of women into heterosexual romance and
marriage would no longer be the primary lesson of culture;
in which single women could raise children with a less
crushing cost to themselves, in which female
creativity might or might not choose to express itself in
motherhood.  Yet, when radical feminists and
lesbian/feminists begin to speak of such a world, when we
begin to sketch the conditions of a life we have collectively
envisioned, the first charge we are likely to hear is a
charge of violence: that we are "man-haters."

We hear that the women's movement is provoking men to rape;
that it has caused an increase in violent crimes by women;
and when we demand the right to rear our children in
circumstances where they have a chance for more than mere
physical survival, we are called fetus-killers.  The beating
of women in homes across this country, the rape of daughters
by fathers and brothers, the fear of rape that keeps old --
as well as young -- women off the streets, the casual male
violence that can use a car to run two jogging women off a
country road, the sadistic exploitation of women's bodies to
furnish a multibillion-dollar empire of pornography, the
decision taken by powerful white males that one-quarter of
the world's women shall be sterilized or that certain
selected women -- poor and Third World -- shall be used as
subjects for ... contraceptive experiments -- these
ordinary, everyday events inevitably must lead us to ask:
who indeed hates whom, who is killing whom, whose interest
is served, and whose fantasies expressed, by representing
abortion as the selfish, wilful, morally contagious
expression of _woman's_ predilection for violence?

--
"whichever way your pleasure tends,
   if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind"

Rainbow  --- Sun Microsystems ---  rainbow@sun.com

cam@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Chris Malcolm) (12/10/90)

In article <3895@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> rainbow@Eng.Sun.COM (queen of infinite space) writes:

>and this morning's program discussed the high increase
>of violence against women.  They spoke of another woman
>jogger out at Inspiration Point in Tilden Park who was
>killed in daylight by her assailant.  Women are no
>longer safe leaving their houses, and some would add that
>we're not even safe _in_ our houses.

What are the comparative statistics? I thought that the most likely
category of person to be assaulted or killed on the street was a teenage
male, by a VERY considerable factor. It's certainly the case in the UK,
and I thought it was in the US too.
--
Chris Malcolm    cam@uk.ac.ed.aipna   +44 31 667 1011 x2550
Department of Artificial Intelligence, Edinburgh University

BS1HSANU%MIAMIU.BITNET@ohstvma.ircc.ohio-state.EDU (12/18/90)

I just saw a chart the other day.  Black males are far and away the most
killed group in America.  White females were at the bottom of the list I
believe.

[This was a chart in this week's (or last) Newsweek showing the *rate*
of death by murder among black men, black women, white men, and white
women.  The rate has remained constant for the last three groups over
the last (one or two) decades; it has climbed almost exponentially for
black males.  Drugs, especially crack, appear to be the main reason. --CLT]

RA04@Lehigh.UCAR.EDU (01/02/91)

An article in Newsweek last year said that a "boy born in Harlem today
has a lower life expectancy than a boy born in Bangladesh."  I think
the expectancy is in the 40's.  I suspect that such boys have worse
chances to live than average American women, but I wonder . . . what's
the expectancy of a black girl born today in Harlem?  is anyone doing
research like this with sex included as well as geography?