[soc.feminism] Feminism, Masculism?

persons@evax.arl.utexas.EDU (Mike Persons) (01/07/91)

In article <1991Jan2.211619.22870@ora.com> jdravk@speech2.cs.cmu.edu (Jeanette Dravk) writes:
>In article <9012052040.AA03770@decpa.pa.dec.com> baranski@meridn.enet.dec.com writes:
>
>>There are some things feminists object to about men, and perhaps some
>>of them can or should be changed, but not without consensus with men.
>					^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>I have to question your definition of a feminist.  Are you saying that
>only females can be feminists?  I know several men who consider themselves
>feminists.  So, since they're men does that mean they can't be feminists?
>By whose authority?  And if they *are* feminists and are still considered
>men, then doesn't that mean that any redefinitions of society that feminists
>propose are done so with the consent of both men AND women?
>
>Consider this.  Only a relatively small fraction of the population actively
>considers itself feminist.  That fraction consists of both men and women.
>Therefore, one must assume that that fraction is working towards a goal
>that will satisfy them *regardless* of their sex.  Drawing lines and saying
>that its a case of "men against women" or "feminists against men" is pointless.
>First of all, you can't define two opposing sides by gender when there are
>both sexes present on both sides.  That's patently ridiculous.
>
>>Likewise there are some things many men would like to see changed
>>about women, which they must be allowed to have their voice in, but
>>again consensus with women is needed.

[much relevant debate reluctantly deleted due to space constraints - I hate
 rereading the entire article so I won't force it on you]

Can only females be feminist?  This is a question I have pondered and
after much cogitation have come up with my own pet theory.

My broad definition of "Feminism": A philosophy (maybe not the best
word) of attempting to guide society to change so as to be more humane
to women.

This brings to my mind another definition:

Masculism: A philosophy (maybe not the best word) of attempting to
guide society to change so as to be more humane to men.

I propose this definition because I believe that both men and women
are stuck in (maybe too strong, "guided to" perhaps) roles that are
assigned to us.  These roles have worked to a great extent; our
society has survived.  But as times change, roles must change, and
that is what (I believe) "ism"-type groups are for - to effect these
changes.  Keeping these definitions in mind, I believe that men can be
feminists, just as women can be "masculists" - we can be legitimately
concerned about helping the other sex have a better life.

However, I think that each sex should focus primarily on their own
"ism".  Not that it's wrong for me to support feminism, it may even be
necessary.  But I don't think either sex can be "free" (whatever that
means) until the other is "free" also, so focusing on women won't
work.  Which link in a chain is most important?

Perhaps men that criticize feminism feel left out and jealous, with
the idea that "Those women are getting some good stuff, and we
aren't."  If men had a "masculist manifesto" perhaps they'd have
better things to do than bash feminism.  Of course I can hear the
replies from men who don't think they need "liberating", that things
are fine as they are.  To them I say, it may be so for you, but it
isn't for a lot of us.  A lot of men (in my opinion) are starting to
believe that the old ways aren't working anymore.  Rather than put
down feminism, I think we should be inspired by what they are trying
to do.

I think that "masculism" is a good term and should be used more often.
I have never seen it used anywhere, even in the "men's liberation"
publications.  Gosh, could I have invented it?  :-)

Well, whaddaya think net.land?  Time for soc.masculism?  :-)

Mike
--
Michael P. Persons             |  % grep grep grep
persons@evax.utarl.edu         |  grep

muffy@remarque.berkeley.edu (Muffy Barkocy) (01/08/91)

In article <1991Jan4.041605.23467@evax.arl.utexas.edu> persons@evax.arl.utexas.EDU (Mike Persons) writes:
> [...lots deleted...]

> Masculism: A philosophy (maybe not the best word) of attempting to
> guide society to change so as to be more humane to men.

> I propose this definition because I believe that both men and women
> are stuck in (maybe too strong, "guided to" perhaps) roles that are
> assigned to us.  These roles have worked to a great extent; our
> society has survived.  But as times change, roles must change, and
> that is what (I believe) "ism"-type groups are for - to effect these
> changes.  Keeping these definitions in mind, I believe that men can be
> feminists, just as women can be "masculists" - we can be legitimately
> concerned about helping the other sex have a better life.

> However, I think that each sex should focus primarily on their own
> "ism".  Not that it's wrong for me to support feminism, it may even be
> necessary.  But I don't think either sex can be "free" (whatever that
> means) until the other is "free" also, so focusing on women won't
> work.  Which link in a chain is most important?

Fine up to here, but why should people focus on their own?  If a man
feels that the problems of women are more severe and more important,
why shouldn't he focus on those problems?  Also, why should these
problems be separated?  In general, they are intertwined, or "two
sides of the same coin."  For example, children are often raised in
stereotypical gender roles.  Some person might feel that this is an
important problem.  Which of your "isms" does it fit into?  And,
finally, why should any one person work on all the problems of their
"ism"?

One of my concerns about feminism is that some feminists think a
person has to accept their whole agenda and ideology to be a "real"
feminist.  I think people should be free to work on whatever problems
they are concerned about, and it's good if they can join a larger
group that is working on those problems, both for the support that
such a group can provide (not feeling like they're the only one
working on/concerned about a problem) and because larger groups
generally have a better chance of changing the world/society.  It is
quite unfortunate when people are excluded (or even discouraged) from
such a group due to their gender or impure ideology (although I'm not
talking about groups which are gender-exclusive for some other reason;
that's another discussion).

Muffy

lunde@casbash.acns.nwu.edu (Albert Lunde) (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan4.041605.23467@evax.arl.utexas.edu>
persons@evax.arl.utexas.EDU (Mike Persons) writes:
> My broad definition of "Feminism": A philosophy (maybe not the best
> word) of attempting to guide society to change so as to be more humane
> to women.

I would suggest that feminism is a collection of ideologies
distingushed by recognizing the oppression of women and being shaped
and informed by the *experience of* women.

Different brands of feminism may be interpreted as being benificial to
men and women or to women only. In any case the position of men is
marginal since they learn about the experience of women second hand.
(I like to think of myself as a feminist, but other may disagree.)

Men may or may not benifit from feminism in some narrow sense, but we
have something to learn from it, perhaps different things than women
most need to learn.

I would like to call to people's attention the tenth anniversary issue
of "Changing Men".

It looks like the "Men's Movement" is generating some serious
self-reflective (& pro-feminist) thought which goes beyond the new
stereotypes and grumbles that developed in its onset.  (I've followed
it intermittently and am impressed by the changes.)

One article talked about the definition of a form of "men's studies"
that would be complimentary and supportive of "women's studies". (This
distingushed it from the sort of "men's studies" that are the bulk of
the academia.)  As I recall, the idea was looking at the social
costruction of men's roles; as"women's studies" looks at the social
construction of women's roles.

Another interesting item were multiple reviews of "Refusing to be a
Man" by John Stollenberg (?).