[soc.feminism] Sexual Harrassment at the workplace

mary@mizar.usc.EDU (Mary Froehlig) (12/31/90)

I am new to this newsgroup, but really need input from the net here.

A couple of weeks ago, my office hired a temporary employee from a
reputable agency.  Unfortunately, the guy was very odd, and we found
out that he made really inappropriate remarks to one of my student
workers.  This girl is 18 (just turned) and didn't know how to respond
to his question, "so, you went to a girls' school...are you a nun or a
slut?"  I told him we didn't need his services anymore after this came
out, and after he made remarks to me about the woman he was taking a
phone message from.

Now he wants to "clear this all up" because the agency (who knows what
he said) isn't sending him out on job assignments any more.  I thought
he was basically weird but harmless, but I found out that my student
worker was _afraid_ of him (that he would do her physical harm) and my
SO, who has met this guy, has also said never to be alone at the
office if the guy says he will "stop by."  On evaluation, I have to
somewhat agree with their observations.

So, I'd like to know how you all would view this situation.  I'm
obviously not going to give him a recommendation, or an easy way out.
I would also prefer that he never set foot in the office again.
However, he does intend to come by (today) to return a magazine that
he borrowed from one of the other workers in the office.

I'd appreciate your views and input as to how to deactivate this
situation.  It would be best for the office if he just didn't call and
knew he was not welcome to do so.

Thanks for all your help. Please send e-mail.

cowpatti@ncar.ucar.EDU (Patricia Mae Anthony) (01/02/91)

In article <29057@usc> mary@mizar.usc.EDU (Mary Froehlig) writes:
>I am new to this newsgroup, but really need input from the net here.
>he said) isn't sending him out on job assignments any more.  I thought
>he was basically weird but harmless, but I found out that my student
>worker was _afraid_ of him (that he would do her physical harm) and my
>SO, who has met this guy, has also said never to be alone at the
>office if the guy says he will "stop by."  On evaluation, I have to
>somewhat agree with their observations.

Follow your instincts in this situation.  The price of a magazine or
two isn't worth the possible harm, emotional and physical, that has
and might still come from this situation.  It's not worth it to worry
about who's feelings you might or might not be hurting.  Tell the
agency you don't want him back in the office, and ask THEM to get the
magazines back for you or buy new ones.  A call to the police
department might not be a bad idea.  Agencies don't usually check
things like that.  The police could find out if he was new to this
area, and what he may have been involved in, if anything, where he
previously resided.  This guy needs to get the message LOUD AND CLEAR
that his behavior is inapporpriate, and if he IS a potential offender,
needs to know that you people aren't playing roulette with your
safety.

Patricia

stabler@athena.cs.uga.EDU (David Stabler) (01/02/91)

In article <29057@usc> mary@mizar.usc.EDU (Mary Froehlig) writes:

>A couple of weeks ago, my office hired a temporary employee from a
>reputable agency.  Unfortunately, the guy was very odd, and we found
>out that he made really inappropriate remarks to one of my student
>workers.  This girl is 18 (just turned) and didn't know how to respond
>to his question, "so, you went to a girls' school...are you a nun or a
>slut?"  I told him we didn't need his services anymore after this came
>out, and after he made remarks to me about the woman he was taking a
>phone message from.
>
>Now he wants to "clear this all up" because the agency (who knows what
>he said) isn't sending him out on job assignments any more.
>
>I'd appreciate your views and input as to how to deactivate this
>situation.

My solution would be to arrange a meeting with the temp guy, the
student worker, yourself, and 1 or 2 other managers.  In advance of
the meeting, make a list of exactly what he did that you thought
merited "firing" him, and discuss this with the student worker and the
other manager(s) so there will be no surprises.  Then meet with the
guy and tell him why he was dismissed.  Send a letter to the temp
agency explaining why he was dismissed.  If he gives you any flak,
just tell him sexual harassment is not tolerated at your office,
period.
--
Sexism is a social disease.

Kathi Mills - stabler@athena.cs.uga.edu

RFM@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (01/03/91)

Does your school have a office that handles sexual harassment allegations?
What about your local gov't/state agency?  Have the co-ed file a formal
complaint with one/all.  Maybe part of the settlement would be
therapy for this guy?  Maybe he's got a "record," and temp agency didn't
check him out thoroughly... maybe coed can SUE!....

Bob M., PSU-Harrisburg

greg@ncar.ucar.EDU (Greg Bullough) (01/03/91)

In article <29057@usc> mary@mizar.usc.EDU (Mary Froehlig) writes:
>I am new to this newsgroup, but really need input from the net here.
>
>A couple of weeks ago, my office hired a temporary employee from a
>reputable agency.  Unfortunately, the guy was very odd, and we found
>out that he made really inappropriate remarks to one of my student
>workers.  This girl is 18 (just turned) and didn't know how to respond
>to his question, "so, you went to a girls' school...are you a nun or a
>slut?"

Lest you have any doubts, that's clearly way out of bounds, and
indicates a deep-seated attitude problem. Even if it wasn't sexual
harassment, it was still bloody rude and insensitive, ESPECIALLY to an
eighteen-year-old "kid."

>        I told him we didn't need his services anymore after this came
>out, and after he made remarks to me about the woman he was taking a
>phone message from.

Good for you! A temporary employee is just that. It isn't your job to
try and straighten him out.

>Now he wants to "clear this all up" because the agency (who knows what
>he said) isn't sending him out on job assignments any more.  I thought
>he was basically weird but harmless, but I found out that my student
>worker was _afraid_ of him (that he would do her physical harm) and my
>SO, who has met this guy, has also said never to be alone at the
>office if the guy says he will "stop by."  On evaluation, I have to
>somewhat agree with their observations.

I think that you have a good consensus of opinion on the matter. I
think it's especially powerful since you have a male opinion which
confirms yours.

If you want to be truly charitable, you could offer to meet with him
at the temp agency, or to meet individually with a representative from
the temp agency. That would be true charity, however. Depending upon
his personality, it might only get you into more difficulty. On the
other hand, if he is just terribly misguided, as opposed to dangerous,
he might be able to learn from this incident (let's face it, some
folks have got no 'up-jerking').

>So, I'd like to know how you all would view this situation.  I'm
>obviously not going to give him a recommendation, or an easy way out.

I think that his loss of your recommendation is no great loss to him,
and that won't bother him. I also think that you are perfectly
justified in telling him to settle it with the temp agency. That's
what they get paid for.

>I would also prefer that he never set foot in the office again.

You have a perfect right to feel that way, and to have that request
honored.

>However, he does intend to come by (today) to return a magazine that
>he borrowed from one of the other workers in the office.

That's why god invented the postal service. It's okay to say "no."

It COULD be an honest desire or it could be an excuse.

>I'd appreciate your views and input as to how to deactivate this
>situation.  It would be best for the office if he just didn't call and
>knew he was not welcome to do so.

A perfectly valid and common opinion of ex-employers. Nothing wrong with
it.

From the point of view of a male who feels that the sexual harassment
thing sometimes gets overblown or out of hand, I feel that you are
entirely justified in your feelings and actions. And I applaud your
courage in dealing with the situation swiftly and decisively.

I think that you stand the best chance of not having any further
problems with him if you make it clear that you just can't abide that
kind of behavior, however it might have been meant. And that he is no
longer welcome to visit your workplace, and that you consider the
discussion to be closed.

And I hope that you hear no more of it.

Greg

operator%saturn@ucselx.sdsu.edu (The Dump Daemon) (01/15/91)

In article <29057@usc> mary@mizar.usc.EDU (Mary Froehlig) writes:
> A couple of weeks ago, my office hired a temporary employee from a
> reputable agency.  Unfortunately, the guy was very odd, and we found
> out that he made really inappropriate remarks to one of my student
> workers.  This girl is 18 (just turned) and didn't know how to respond
> to his question, "so, you went to a girls' school...are you a nun or a
> slut?"

It is a rather widely held (albeit dubious) belief that those who
attend an "all-girls" school are more likely to have devious sexual
proclivities.  This belief is not restricted to men, nor to criminals.

Is this sexual harassment?  What if another "girl" had made this
statement?  What were the circumstances under which he made this
statement?  Was it as a response to an equally offensive comment by
the girl?  Is her innocence presumed because she is a girl?  And his
guilt because he is a man?

>I told him we didn't need his services anymore after this came out

The recommended course of action would usually be to tell him that
such comments are unacceptable in the professional environment and
that any further specific complaints brought against him would be
grounds for dismissal.

The proper course of action should be based on a much much much much
more in-depth explanation of the circumstances than the one you have
provided - the one on which most of your replies will have been based.

> I thought he was basically weird but harmless, but I found out that my
> student worker was _afraid_ of him (that he would do her physical harm)

Does the student worker's reaction fundamentally change the nature of
the actions taken by the temporary employee?  Would it make him less
guilty, or even innocent, if she were not afraid?  Is her fear of
physical harm justified solely by the comment he made which you have
quoted above?

> and my SO, who has met this guy, has also said never to be alone at the
> office if the guy says he will "stop by."

That's a very strong statement.  Very strong to be submitted in your
posting without any supporting evidence at all.  Very strong to be
submitted by someone whose objectivity is questionable.

> So, I'd like to know how you all would view this situation.

The amount of relevant information provided in the original posting is
less than ten sentences.  Much of the information is vague and
essentially amounts to what would rightly be considered hearsay.  A
situation in the workplace should be treated with the utmost
professionalism and fairness.  Hearsay and other unsupported
accusations are intolerable (in theory).

It is impossible to make a fair judgement based solely on the evidence
you have given in your original posting.

The career and therefore life of a human being is at stake, and it is
within your power to significantly and permanently damage it.  Would
you choose to have your future decided by essentially anonymous and
thoroughly subjective reactions to a two paragraph accusation made
against you from which you had no opportunity to defend yourself?

I wouldn't.

-Larry

cjsst12@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Carl J Stone) (01/15/91)

In article <29057@usc> mary@mizar.usc.EDU (Mary Froehlig) writes:

>I'd appreciate your views and input as to how to deactivate this
>situation.  It would be best for the office if he just didn't call and
>knew he was not welcome to do so.

He sounds like a goof ball to me.  He is probably dangerous.  Follow
your instincts.  Nobody makes a "Nun or Slut" comment if they are
normal.

Carl