[soc.feminism] Sex in videos

lputnam@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (03/02/91)

In article <1991Mar1.101138.12962@mailer.cc.fsu.edu> oconnor@evax10.eng.fsu.edu (OCONNOR) writes:
>In article <1793@philmtl.philips.ca>, vo@philmtl.philips.ca (Vladimir Orlt) writes...
>
>What is so gross-disgusting,sickining about sex!!!!????!!!
>It's god's way of keeping his creations around for a long time.
>He made sex feel so good that no one or nothing could resist it!
>Its what keeps the world going 'round.
>SSSSHHHEEEEEEEESSSHHH!!!!!!!

I don't think that the original poster was saying that sex is bad or sick. He
was saying, I think, that there seems to be an increase in using females as
sexual objects in videos. Men are rarely portrayed that simplisticly. For
example: the new version of the video for that Chris Issak (sp) song, "Wicked
 Game." In the video there are two people on the beach. One is Chris. Since
 it's his song, we see him singing. That is his voice. That is how he talks.
 The woman, though, does not sing. She does not talk with her voice. She talks
 with her body. Continuously running her hands over various parts of her body.
 I won't babble more about this portrayal, I'll let you think about it. It's
 something we've seen in Countless videos. Can't people think of anything
 else to film/sing/write about?

muffy@remarque.berkeley.edu (Muffy Barkocy) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar1.220724.22726@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> lputnam@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu writes:
   I don't think that the original poster was saying that sex is bad or sick. He
   was saying, I think, that there seems to be an increase in using females as
   sexual objects in videos. Men are rarely portrayed that simplisticly.
   [...]

I read an article in the Sunday SF Examiner/Chronicle a week and a half
ago which discussed the "new trend" in rock music.  According to the
article, it is no longer expected/accepted that (male) rock musicians be
either emaciated or overweight.  The trend now is for them to be in very
good shape, and to then display their bodies in concerts, videos, etc.
The article went on to say that all the things which had been done with
women in terms of marketing their bodies, displaying them in "sexy"
ways, etc, was now being done with men.

A point about this, the article I'm replying to, and other things I've
noticed lately.  People have certain ideas about the way things are in
the world, such as "women are exploited for their bodies in rock
videos."  These things are often true and relevant.  The thing I've
noticed, though, is that people often therefore seem to imply or assume
that the symmetrically opposite thing must be true, such as "men are not
exploited for their bodies in rock videos."  Related to this, I was in a
discussion with someone who claimed that women were paid less because
companies knew that, statistically, they would take more time off for
pregnancy, so they would cost more to the company.  At one point in the
discussion, he sent me an article that said that, actually, men took
more time off due to health problems, had a greater tendency to problems
with alcohol which interfered with their work, etc.  So, the initial
belief was "women take off a lot of time to have children (so they are
more expensive to employ)."  The opposite belief which this seemed to
engender was "men don't take as much time off from work as women (so
they cost less to employ)."  The article contradicted this, but it seems
that most people I talk to accept/believe the pregnancy argument
(although they don't feel that women should be paid less because of
that, for the most part).  Where do these ideas, some correct, some
incomplete, some incorrect, come from?  And why do people assume that if
A is true for women, it must not be true for men (like the video
exploitation)?

Muffy

wjf@mvuxn.att.com (William J Fallon) (03/08/91)

I don't object to the Isaak video 'cuz it shows the two embracing and
enjoying each other in a one-to-one situation.  True, in one sequence
the woman does a lot of sexy gesturing but she's looking right at one
guy who SHE presumably wants to attract.  I also don't object to
videos BY women showing women enjoying some sexually oriented
experience like "My Side Of The Bed" by Susanna Hoffs or "I Touch
Myself" by Divinyls especially if, like these songs, they are in the
context of a one-on-one relationship.

The stuff I don't like is the David Lee Roth type of thing which shows
a succession of large breasted women in bikinis doing chest presses
sort of displaying themselves for anybody who might happen by.
Certainly there's too much of that going on.