[soc.feminism] Scholarly objective evaluations of AA

gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) (03/08/91)

#Do you try to claim that your "scholarly objective evaluations of AA", is
#more valid, with respect to "white ethnic males", then their experiences?!

In article <1991Feb24.192139.1421@xanadu.com> nadja@xanadu.COM (Nadja Adolf) writes:

>I would agree with Lurkette that scholarly studies are probably more
>accurate than the perceptions of ethnic males;

I wonder what you will say after "scholarly studies" will tell you
that women are better off when they have to sit at home and raise
kids...

(And *please* read in "The Feminine Mystique" about the situation when
the "scholarly studies" said so, before you answer.)

Hillel                                                   gazit@cs.duke.edu

"When I do it to you it's sexism,
when you do it to me it's feminism."

jdravk@speech2.cs.cmu.edu (Jeanette Dravk) (03/09/91)

In article <667506522@lime.cs.duke.edu> gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) writes:
>In article <1991Feb24.192139.1421@xanadu.com> nadja@xanadu.COM (Nadja Adolf) writes:

>>I would agree with Lurkette that scholarly studies are probably more
>>accurate than the perceptions of ethnic males;

>I wonder what you will say after "scholarly studies" will tell you
>that women are better off when they have to sit at home and raise
>kids...

Hmm... so I guess *men* would be better off staying at home raising the
kids too, right?  So why don't we _all_ just sit at home and watch the
little ones crawl around?

I suppose that's ridiculous?

About as ridiculous as saying that only one gender would benefit from
being a homemaker more than the other.  Feh!

>(And *please* read in "The Feminine Mystique" about the situation when
>the "scholarly studies" said so, before you answer.)

Yah, and while you're at it, don't forget to keep up on the studies on
depression (documented to be more common in women) in which one of the
leading causes is _boredom_.

I'll post the study group that recently got published on this if I can find
the clipping (I _hope_ I save it!).  :)

j-

--
#*#*#*#*#*#	Transient Creature of the Wide, Wild World	#*#*#*#*#*#*#*

   "Time is not linear to me, it is a nebulous web of existential freedom."

gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar8.195502.12099@ora.com> (Jeanette Dravk) writes:
>Hmm... so I guess *men* would be better off staying at home raising the
>kids too, right?  So why don't we _all_ just sit at home and watch the
>little ones crawl around?

Two women claimed that affirmative action for women is good for men,
and used some studies to justify their position.  Would you, or them,
or the rest of net.feminists will think about reversing the argument
and claiming that affirmative action for "white ethnic males" will be
good for a woman?

I guess that being a woman who is looking for revenge and/or a
feminist means that you can reverse the sexes only in one half of the
examples...

muffy@remarque.berkeley.edu (Muffy Barkocy) (03/28/91)

In article <668543857@lear.cs.duke.edu> gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) writes:

   #I would agree with Lurkette that scholarly studies are probably more
   #accurate than the perceptions of ethnic males;

   $I wonder what you will say after "scholarly studies" will tell you
   $that women are better off when they have to sit at home and raise
   $kids...

   In article <1991Mar8.195502.12099@ora.com> (Jeanette Dravk) writes:
   >Hmm... so I guess *men* would be better off staying at home raising the
   >kids too, right?  So why don't we _all_ just sit at home and watch the
   >little ones crawl around?

   Two women claimed that affirmative action for women is good for men,
   and used some studies to justify their position.  Would you, or them,
   or the rest of net.feminists will think about reversing the argument
   and claiming that affirmative action for "white ethnic males" will be
   good for a woman?

Sure, I'll think about it.  So, what would an AA program for men be
like?  The point for minorities is to hire them "fairly," generally by
proportion of the population, right?  Okay, so if we instituted a
program to hire white ethnic males in the same proportions as they
appear in the population, what would happen?  ($think, $think) Hey!
There will be more jobs for women, since less men will be hired!  Wow!
It would benefit women!

   I guess that being a woman who is looking for revenge and/or a
   feminist means that you can reverse the sexes only in one half of the
   examples...

*laugh*...nah, guess again.

Muffy

gazit@cs.duke.EDU (Hillel Gazit) (03/30/91)

In article <MUFFY.91Mar13071236@remarque.berkeley.edu> (Muffy Barkocy) writes:

>Sure, I'll think about it.  So, what would an AA program for men be
>like?

Just like what AA programs for women have been claimed to be: between
all candidates of equal qualification pick the "white ethnic male."

>The point for minorities is to hire them "fairly," generally by
>proportion of the population, right?

For some reason the term "affirmative action program"
causes you to think about quotas.

Would you mind to explain why?