[soc.feminism] Nancy Drew: Girl Role Model

rogue@uunet.uu.net (04/09/91)

hrdoucet@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Heloise Doucet) writes:
>So, if you could name ALL these mystery movies with aggressive female
>sleuths and prove me wrong I will be willing to admit the mistakes in
>my assumptions.

As a television show, I'm not sure whether you'll want to qualify it,
but I always thought Stephanie Zimbalist was the best part of
Remington Steele.  Other television qualifiers: Cagney & Lacey, Mudrer
She Wrote, and Mrs. Columbo.

As far as movies go, however, you've got me stumped.

muffy@remarque.berkeley.edu (Muffy Barkocy) (04/10/91)

   hrdoucet@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Heloise Doucet) writes:
   >So, if you could name ALL these mystery movies with aggressive female
   >sleuths and prove me wrong I will be willing to admit the mistakes in
   >my assumptions.

For movies, there are the Miss Marple movies (she is more aggressive
in the movies than in the books, too).  You might count the "Thin Man"
movies; the man characters Nick and Nora Charles - Nick is a detective
who doesn't want to detect and Nora is always pushing him to and
getting involved in things, although he's always the one who solves
the case.  Back to Agatha Christie, there are Tommy and
Tuppence...similar to Nick and Nora except that Tuppence figures out
more of the mystery.

Muffy

hrdoucet@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Heloise Doucet) (04/11/91)

In article <MUFFY.91Apr8130700@remarque.berkeley.edu> muffy@remarque.berkeley.edu (Muffy Barkocy) writes:

>   hrdoucet@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Heloise Doucet) writes:
>   >So, if you could name ALL these mystery movies with aggressive female
>   >sleuths and prove me wrong I will be willing to admit the mistakes in
>   >my assumptions.
>
>For movies, there are the Miss Marple movies (she is more aggressive
>in the movies than in the books, too).  You might count the "Thin Man"
>movies; the man characters Nick and Nora Charles - Nick is a detective
>who doesn't want to detect and Nora is always pushing him to and
>getting involved in things, although he's always the one who solves
>the case.

Sorry, doesn't count.

> Back to Agatha Christie, there are Tommy and
>Tuppence...similar to Nick and Nora except that Tuppence figures out
>more of the mystery.

Good try Muffy.
BUT what good are they if I haven't heard of ANY of them! :-(
I have heard of the  Miss Marple and Agatha Christie books but not the movies.

I haven't even seen them in the video store but I'll take another look.
Hey, maybe I'll see them and give a review. :-)

I should have added 'popular' to my list of requirements.

Heloise

       I may be a dumb blonde but at least I'm a natural dumb blonde!
     I'm sure that if you feel my arguments are wrong you'll correct me.
	       	   I love mail -- and my boyfriend :-)
	(should I be telling people this?) Oh well, just send it to
               hrdoucet@cgl.waterloo.edu ((H)eloise Doucet)

denio@beno.CSS.GOV (Dennis O'Neill) (04/13/91)

hrdoucet@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Heloise Doucet) writes:
> So, if you could name ALL these mystery movies with aggressive female
> sleuths and prove me wrong I will be willing to admit the mistakes in
> my assumptions.

Not movies, but books:

  o  Sue Grafton's series with the protagonist Kinsey Millhone, a
     very self-sufficient, agressive PI.  Setting is mostly a fictional
     California small town called Santa Teresa (let's hear it for
     small towns).

  o  Sara Paretski's (sp?) series on V.I. Warshawski, whose supposed
     specialty is financial crime but whose cases always seem to turn
     into murder mysteries.  Setting is Chicago (amazing - the US away
     from the East and West coasts).

Just a plug for the books - I enjoyed them greatly, everyone should go
out and buy them and make the authors wealthy.  Besides, if Grafton's
and Paretski's works sell tons of copies, betcha Hollywierd would
notice and think about making movies of the books.

As far as movies go, though, I think Heloise is probably right.  Seems
to me that Dorothy Sayers' character Harriet Vane was pretty strong
and aggressive, but was definitely a character of the 20's, and was
not the main character of Sayers' novels.

--
Dennis O'Neill (denio@seismo.css.gov)

ishizaki@hplred.hpl.hp.com (Audrey Ishizaki) (04/24/91)

Re: Sara Paretskys' V.I. Warshawski novels

I, too, recommend Paretsky's books.  The protagonist is a competent
(but not a superwoman, by any means) private investigator.  She's
smart, sensible (never goes out "sleuthing" in high heels) and tough.
PLUS, this year, the movie, "Warshawski" is being released, starring
Kathleen Turner as the famous V. I. Warshawski (I saw it mentioned in
a list of movies to-be-released that was in rec.arts.movies).

Read the books, check out the movies (when it comes out)!

audrey ishizaki

twain@milton.u.washington.edu (Barbara Hlavin) (04/24/91)

In article <9210001@hplred.HP.COM> ishizaki@hplred.hpl.hp.com (Audrey Ishizaki) writes:
>Re: Sara Paretskys' V.I. Warshawski novels
>
>I, too, recommend Paretsky's books.  The protagonist is a competent
>(but not a superwoman, by any means) private investigator.  She's
>smart, sensible (never goes out "sleuthing" in high heels) and tough.
>PLUS, this year, the movie, "Warshawski" is being released, starring
>Kathleen Turner as the famous V. I. Warshawski (I saw it mentioned in
>a list of movies to-be-released that was in rec.arts.movies).
>
>Read the books, check out the movies (when it comes out)!

I too like the V.I. Warshawski books.  But I must say that what
I find tiresome in these books is how bad-tempered everyone is.
People are always yelling at each other and saying disagreeable
things with very little (or no) provocation.  I find chronic
irascibility a poor substitute for character development.

On the other hand, I've never lived in Chicago... maybe everyone
*is* irritable there.  :-)

--Barbara

--
Barbara Hlavin			Death has always been a negative life style
twain@milton.u.washington.edu	change nobody thought could be sold, but I