[soc.feminism] sports where men/women compete

mjm@ahimsa.intel.COM (04/24/91)

>From: Marjorie Panditji <mjm@ahimsa.UUCP>

[This came up in response to my comment some time back that target
shooting was the only sport in which men & women were not segregated.
CTM]

> That's what I heard.  I can tell you right off that equestrian events
> are segregated (presumably because of weight differences).

I guess the lower class events I was in (at ages 10-14) do not count,
but they were not segregated.  I admit that this was at a pretty low
level of competition.  I also remember watching some events for the
adults that were not segregated.  It was a long time ago, so I don't
remember details or even the names of the events.

Another sport I can think of is horse racing.  I'm sure that there are
women jockeys.  Any weight differences (whether it is men or women who
weigh less) are made up by weights that the jockey has to carry (on
the saddle?  I'm not sure where).  I know that there is a weigh-in
before the race for all jockeys.  I can't think of the names of any
women jockeys, but I know I have read articles about them.

And how about drag racing?  I'm sure that the famous woman racer
(forgot her name, but they made a movie about her) would consider that
a sport.

Hey, now that I think about it, the Iditarod, the famous dog sled race
run in Alaska every year, has been won by Susan Butcher 5 times in a
row (or is it 6?  did she win this year?).

I'm sure that if you restrict the sport to human powered only (no
machines or animals involved) there would be fewer instances where men
and women compete.  But even with this restriction, I can think of one
sport: rock climbing.  I have watched a few of these events on cable
and women and men competed equally.  As a novice ex-rock climber, I
used to hang out with other climbers in college.  The novice women
would often advance more quickly than the novice men because they had
to learn to use balance and finesse instead of relying on upper body
strength.
--
Marjorie Panditji, Intel Corporation, (503) 696-2197
mjm@ahimsa.intel.com  -or-  uunet!intelhf!ahimsa!mjm

shore@theory.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Melinda Shore) (04/26/91)

> That's what I heard.  I can tell you right off that equestrian events
> are segregated (presumably because of weight differences).

Not so.  All the Olympic equestrian events have men and women
competing equally, although the women riders typically carry more lead
to even out the weight in the speed and endurance phases of 3-day
eventing.  Weight is considered irrelevant in dressage and show
jumping.

--
                    Software longa, hardware brevis
Melinda Shore - Cornell Information Technologies - shore@theory.tn.cornell.edu

bine@gmdzi.uucp (Sabine Hubrig-Schaumburg) (04/26/91)

what about motor races / rally (Michelle Mouton...)  or parachuting ?

--
Sabine Hubrig-Schaumburg, 5202 Hennef, Germany               bine@zi.gmd.dbp.de
       "The goal of science is to build better mousetraps.

bsstrs@gdt.bath.ac.uk (T R Stickland) (04/26/91)

In the round the world yacht race (can't think of proper title, sorry)
the all-women crew did pretty damn well, I think.

(Just to throw in another eg).

--
 #       Tim Stickland  *  Anarcho-Ecologist  *  World's slowest VFR750       #
 #        School of Biological Sciences, University of Bath, Bath, UK.        #