[soc.feminism] opportunities

pad6516@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (DANN, PA) (05/02/91)

	Before I make any of the comments that I am about to make just
let me say Please do not flame the shit out of me. These are just thoughts
that I am looking for answers to. I do not want an attack, Ideas!

	GENERALLY SPEAKING The way I see society is that it is based
on the discoveries, inventions, and ideas of the male species. The
freedom that we as Americans have is basically the result of the men.
With that, much of the death and War is because of the male species.
I think the reason for such male domination is that men have not let
women even participate in these areas. What would society be like if men
had let women be equals from day one? I think the added benefit are
incomprehendable. Would a woman invented the plane say 20 years before
the first man did? Very possible!

	I think male domination is the result of the old physical labor
based society. It started out like that and only in the last, lets say,
50 years has society began to change to a more intellectual based society.
That is people make a living based on intellect rather than physical
strength. And everyone knows that males are stronger physically than
females. But the way society is today anyone can do anything they want
almost enitirely base on brain power. (there are still
exceptions-chauvinists(sp)) But I see women having more opportunities than
ever.

	Is anyone familiar with Romantic and Classic ways of thinking?
Well females tend to think romantically and males classically. A classic
way of thinking is how a male looks at the beauty of a car. The engine and
its parts, what makes it go fast, its pistons, and spark plugs, and fuel
injection. While a female looks at the color and the interior and whether
it matches. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with that,
so don't get pissed! I think we all could benefit if males and females could
have a mix of both. But of course this way of thinking is a result of
upbringing from childhood, because I am sure we all know women who are into
the workings of cars and males that are interior decorators. I am speaking
as a wholeAnd vice versa. Women are generally not into that. Well I suspect
that I will get killed for my ideas on the subject but I would like to
know what other people think. Please do not tell me I am wrong because
everyonge is entitled to there opinion and I would like to hear other
peoples opinions! In fact to all you feminists out there I think the
socitey could benefit greatly if men would let women get more involved
in it. It is changing but it takes time!

	With this in mind its pretty logical as to why men invent cars that
go faster or space shuttles that don't blow up anymore, that is what they
are into. It also shows the reason why music is generally male dominate

ptgarvin@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (PTed Garvin) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May1.175906.5106@isc.rit.edu> pad6516@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:

>	Before I make any of the comments that I am about to make just
>let me say Please do not flame the shit out of me. These are just thoughts
>that I am looking for answers to. I do not want an attack, Ideas!

Courtesy and flaming don't mix.

>strength. And everyone knows that males are stronger physically than
>females. But the way society is today anyone can do anything they want

Things "everybody knows" are often false.  I know some women who are
MUCH stronger than I.  It's often not how much you have, but how willing
you are to use what you have.

>Well females tend to think romantically and males classically. A classic
>way of thinking is how a male looks at the beauty of a car. The engine and
>its parts, what makes it go fast, its pistons, and spark plugs, and fuel
>injection. While a female looks at the color and the interior and whether
>it matches. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with that,

I'd say this was a stereotype.  I certainly don't think that way.  What
goes through my mind when I look at a car is how gas efficient it would be,
how much it pollutes the environment, etc.  Come to think of it, maybe
I think classically after all (but then, so do many women).  Maybe a new
category should be used, like "practical" thinking.

>upbringing from childhood, because I am sure we all know women who are into
>the workings of cars and males that are interior decorators. I am speaking

Disclaimer noted.

>are into. It also shows the reason why music is generally male dominate

Hunh?  I always thought of music as feminine, for some reason.  Must be
that classical Greek muse stuff.

--
"...just when I had you wriggling in the crushing grip of reason, too..."
ptgarvin@aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu / ptgarvin@uokmax.UUCP | Wassail!        O

Julianne.Coleman@ebay.sun.COM (Julianne Coleman) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May1.175906.5106@isc.rit.edu> pad6516@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:

>	Before I make any of the comments that I am about to make just
>let me say Please do not flame the shit out of me. These are just thoughts
>that I am looking for answers to. I do not want an attack, Ideas!
>
>	GENERALLY SPEAKING The way I see society is that it is based
>on the discoveries, inventions, and ideas of the male species. The
>freedom that we as Americans have is basically the result of the men.
               {...}

>	I think male domination is the result of the old physical labor
>based society. It started out like that and only in the last, lets say,
>50 years has society began to change to a more intellectual based society.

One flaw in your "ideas" is the statement that the basis
for male dominination was the physical work done by men
up until the last 50 years.

If you go far far back, you will find, in many cultures
that women did all the planting and cultivating which
provided 80% of the sustenance for the family.  Women
built the huts and did all the housework.  Men more
likely hunted and had time for religion and the like.

Taking this track, society became male dominated because
men were only in the social arena and didn't do work,
real physical work.

Granted, I am talking only about several ancient tribes,
but even in the pioneering west women HAD to work in
the fields and tending to a home was not simple.

The argument that women are weaker doesn't hold much
water with me.  I understand that on average women
do not have as much arm strength as men, but absolutes
mean just about nothing.

What you need to look at is what people are capable of doing.
In many situations women HAVE to acheive some level
of strength, they have no choice and they accomplish
it.  Have the same situation with a "stronger" man, and
the man takes the task/is asked to take the task and
he accomplishes it.

You are very right that society today is different because
strength is not as important.  Also, maintaining a home has
become less physically demanding, we dont make soap we buy
it, we dont hand wring clothes the washer does.  In this
way what women have traditionally done has been changed
and women are "free" to do other things.

What hasn't happened, and needs to, is that men have to
have the same types of changes and opportunities.

Julianne Coleman
julianne.coleman@ebay.sun.com

jeffb.bbs@shark.cs.fau.EDU (Jeffrey Boser) (05/08/91)

pad6516@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (DANN, PA) writes:

[part of quotes deleted for brevity]
> 	Is anyone familiar with Romantic and Classic ways of thinking?
> Well females tend to think romantically and males classically. A classic
> way of thinking is how a male looks at the beauty of a car. The engine and
> its parts, what makes it go fast, its pistons, and spark plugs, and fuel
> injection. While a female looks at the color and the interior and whether
> it matches. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with that,
> so don't get pissed! I think we all could benefit if males and females could
> have a mix of both. But of course this way of thinking is a result of
> upbringing from childhood, because I am sure we all know women who are into
> the workings of cars and males that are interior decorators. I am speaking
> as a wholeAnd vice versa. Women are generally not into that. Well I suspect
> that I will get killed for my ideas on the subject but I would like to
> know what other people think. Please do not tell me I am wrong because
> everyonge is entitled to there opinion and I would like to hear other
> peoples opinions! In fact to all you feminists out there I think the
> socitey could benefit greatly if men would let women get more involved
> in it. It is changing but it takes time!

I think your ideas have possibilities, and it is not my intention to
flame them.  I would like to offer an alternative: that men and women
function differently mentaly.  I am not saying a huge difference, but
even a 5% difference over so huge a time scale can be overwhelming.

Like the original posting, these are indicators of general patterns:

The sci-fi/fantasy field tends to be dominated by women.  Which is
weird, as there are women in it, the oportunities exist, but few women
are major players in the field.  Every single woman I know does not
like to read it as a general rule, while many men I know live on the
stuff.

When men talk about sex, the majority of it is vague, leaving much to
the imagination, hinting and indicating.  I have listened to women
talk about sex, and the majority of it is detailed, leaving little to
the imagination.

A man gets revenge, a woman hates...

I realize that these might be exaggerations, but I think that men and
women handle abstractions and symbols differently.  I think that
oppression does not explain the huge dominence that men have in some
fields...  it might have encouraged it, but I do not think it is the
whole answer...  It might have to do with their raising, but then
again, it might only have encouraged it.

.....jeff
jeffb.bbs@shark.cs.fau.edu
"Make something an idiot can use, and only an idiot will use it" -RAH
  Like a Bible, maybe?

lunde@casbah.acns.nwu.EDU (05/08/91)

"Anonymous was a woman"

(DANN, PA) writes:
>         GENERALLY SPEAKING The way I see society is that it is based
> on the discoveries, inventions, and ideas of the male species. The
> freedom that we as Americans have is basically the result of the men.
[... goes on at length...]

The problem with this line of argument is that men are much more
likely get historical credit for anything they do.

It is worth looking at what a little historical digging by historians
and anthropologists with alternate viewpoints have found.  Documented
examples of suppressed and forgotten history get harder to
substantiate as one goes further back, but there are definite trends.
Being male, christian, european, heterosexual or upper-class each tend
to make one's acts better recorded in the times and cultures leading
to ours.

Read "The Dinner Party" or "Gay American History" or "Orginial
Blessing" or histories of Islam tracing its contributions to europe
... almost anything that starts from a different norm, and you will
find parts of history that are largely ignored. Scholars may know of
it but it's not in the dominant mythos.  Read "How To Suppress Woman's
Writing" by JoAnna Russ.

If you argue that in X culture there was a division of labor between
men and women doing Y and Z, it is still likely that women made
inventions in their spheres of activity.

Another source of historical bias that may be related is that
inventions and cultural traits that serve imperialism are spread by
cultural conquest.

dnettles@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David E Nettles) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May1.175906.5106@isc.rit.edu> pad6516@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:

>	Before I make any of the comments that I am about to make just
>let me say Please do not flame the shit out of me. These are just thoughts
>that I am looking for answers to. I do not want an attack, Ideas!
>
>	GENERALLY SPEAKING The way I see society is that it is based
>on the discoveries, inventions, and ideas of the male species. The
>freedom that we as Americans have is basically the result of the men.
>With that, much of the death and War is because of the male species.
>I think the reason for such male domination is that men have not let
>women even participate in these areas. What would society be like if men
>had let women be equals from day one? I think the added benefit are
>incomprehendable. Would a woman invented the plane say 20 years before
>the first man did? Very possible!

	...Seems quite reasonable...

>	I think male domination is the result of the old physical labor
>based society. It started out like that and only in the last, lets say,
>50 years has society began to change to a more intellectual based society.
>That is people make a living based on intellect rather than physical
>strength. And everyone knows that males are stronger physically than
>females. But the way society is today anyone can do anything they want
>almost enitirely base on brain power. (there are still
>exceptions-chauvinists(sp)) But I see women having more opportunities than
>ever.

	YES!!! Very true!!!!  Severly physically handicapped
	persons can even compete well in today's society!
	Muscles and strength are virtual non-issues.

>	Is anyone familiar with Romantic and Classic ways of thinking?
>Well females tend to think romantically and males classically. A classic
>way of thinking is how a male looks at the beauty of a car. The engine and
>its parts, what makes it go fast, its pistons, and spark plugs, and fuel
>injection. While a female looks at the color and the interior and whether
>it matches. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with that,
>so don't get pissed!

	But this "different" way of looking at things is
	much more the result of social presure put upon
	us as children AND as adults.

	For instance, while growing up girls could describe
	a flower using the word "pretty" and boys had
	to use other words (or none at all) else be labelled
	a sissy.

	Oh... I'm not pissed... (trust me, if I have sons
	and daughters they will know how to appreciate it
	all.  It's more fun that way!)

> I think we all could benefit if males and females could
>have a mix of both. But of course this way of thinking is a result of
>upbringing from childhood, because I am sure we all know women who are into
>the workings of cars and males that are interior decorators. I am speaking
>as a wholeAnd vice versa. Women are generally not into that. Well I suspect
>that I will get killed for my ideas on the subject but I would like to
>know what other people think. Please do not tell me I am wrong because

	Yeah, but it is more society than biology.

>everyonge is entitled to there opinion and I would like to hear other
>peoples opinions! In fact to all you feminists out there I think the
>socitey could benefit greatly if men would let women get more involved
>in it. It is changing but it takes time!

	VERY TRUE!!!  It's more fun knowing people when you
	knoq the field is even and fair... knowwhatImean?

>	With this in mind its pretty logical as to why men invent cars that
>go faster or space shuttles that don't blow up anymore, that is what they
>are into. It also shows the reason why music is generally male dominate

	--- David Nettles

	"JUSTICE: It's what comes _before_ the law!"
			- me