[soc.feminism] "Bread and Roses" lyrics wanted

jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) (05/02/91)

i have just joined a housing co-operative named bread and roses.

i am told that the name comes from a feminist protest song (40's or 50's).

does anyone have the lyrics?

thanx

--
[ Jim Mercer  jim@lsuc.On.Ca  || ...!uunet!attcan!lsuc!jim    +1 416 947-5258 ]
[ Educational Systems Manager - Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, CANADA  ]

shore@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Melinda Shore) (05/02/91)

In article <1991May1.204611.27379@lsuc.on.ca> jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) writes:
>i am told that the name comes from a feminist protest song (40's or 50's).

It comes from a song written for a garment worker's strike in the, uh,
'20s or so.  "We strike for bread, but we strike for roses, too," or
something like that.  The gist of it is that quality of life is
important, also.
--
                    Software longa, hardware brevis
Melinda Shore - Cornell Information Technologies - shore@theory.tn.cornell.edu

heidi@wolf.unet.com (Heidi Wolf) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May1.204611.27379@lsuc.on.ca> jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) writes:

>i have just joined a housing co-operative named bread and roses.
>i am told that the name comes from a feminist protest song (40's or 50's).
>does anyone have the lyrics?
>thanx

The version posted below is from Peter Seeger's book CARRY IT ON!, "a
history in song and picture of the working men and women of America,"
copyright 1985.  Seeger includes the tune and the guitar chords as
well as the lyrics.

[Note:  I've also heard this sung, with minor variations from the lyrics
posted here, by Mimi Farina and Joan Baez on the album BREAD AND
ROSES.]

"BREAD AND ROSES" ** -- Words by James Oppenheim; music by Mimi Farina
                       (Joan Baez's sister).  Copyright 1976, Farina Music.

** Based on a sign carried by a striker in the 1912 Lawrence, MA, textile mill
   strike:  WE WANT BREAD AND WE WANT ROSES TOO.]

As we go marching, marching
In the beauty of the day,
A million darkened kitchens,
A thousand mill lofts gray