[soc.feminism] Feminism and S&M

turpin@cs.utexas.EDU (Russell Turpin) (05/10/91)

-----

In article <673742644@lear.cs.duke.edu> gazit@duke.cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) writes:
> Here is a quote from "Against Our Will" by Susan Brownmiller: [omitted].
> ... the bottom line is obvious: to achieve women's liberation
> feminists like Brownmiller should decide what is the Politically
> Correct way for gay *men* to have consensual sex.

-----

Partly in response to the book "Coming to Power", edited by
Samois (a now defunct lesbian S&M organization), a group of
feminist writers wrote some essays and collected these together
with some existing ones under the title "Against Sadomasochism:
A Radical Feminist Analysis", ed. Robin Ruth Linden, et al, ISBN
0-9603628-3-5, published (1982) by Frog in the Well, P O Box
170052, San Francisco, 94117.  Some passages from the
introduction are excerpted below.

     Since at least 1976, there has been debate among feminists
     about the politics of sadomasochism. ...

     Throughout "Against Sadomasochism", it is argued that
     lesbian sadomasochism is firmly rooted in patriarchal sexual
     ideology, with its emphasis on the fragmentation of desire
     fromthe rest of our lives and the single-minded pursuit of
     gratification, sexual and otherwise. ...

     The editors and contributors to "Against Sadomasochism" do
     not dispute sadomasochists' right to engage in what sexual
     practices they choose.  It is not our wish to limit them by
     legislative or juridicial means.  Instead, we believe that
     the ideological grounds of the defense of sadomasochism are
     invalid.

     The feminist defense of sadomasochism pivots on the apparent
     consensuality of sadomasochistic sexual encounters. ...
     However, I take the view, along with other feminists who
     oppose the practice of sadomasochism, that the psychological
     reality of "consensual" sadomasochism is so abstracted from
     the actual social and historical conditions that shape human
     relationships and erotic desire as to be virtually
     meaningless. ...

The book includes essays by Ti-Grace Atkinson, Alice Walker,
Robin Morgan, and Susan Griffin.  There is one essay by a former
sadomasochist who writes about S&M much as an ex-alky does about
demon rum.  Ms Griffin contributes a literary criticism of "The
Story of O".  For humor, the book includes a short piece on
hankerchief codes, complete with cartoon.

It has been a couple of years since I read most of the essays,
but to my recollection, the substantive ones build on the themes
adumbrated in the introduction: S&M is either the result of
unfortunate personal history or the integration of sick societal
structures, and its practice tends to propagate the problems that
give rise to it.  In my opinion, the substance is thin, and
occasionally uninformed.  Nevertheless, if one is interested in
feminist writing against S&M, this is probably the book to have
on your shelf.

Russell