[soc.feminism] Feminist texts

fg7@cunixf.cc.columbia.EDU (Farshid Guilak) (05/10/91)

I was recently telling a friend of mine about a movie I saw in a class
I took on "Women and Film".  My friend is a foreign graduate student, and
she asked me what feminism is.  I tried to explain best I could, but I
think there are too many definitions and branches of feminism for me to
be really accurate or clear to her.

Does anybody know of a good book - a primer of sorts - on feminism ideals
and beliefs.  I think she would be interested in reading it (after I'm
done with it, of course).

Thanks....

farmerl@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (lisa ann farmer) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May8.232741.14731@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> fg7@cunixf.cc.columbia.EDU (Farshid Guilak) writes:
>Does anybody know of a good book - a primer of sorts - on feminism ideals
>and beliefs.  I think she would be interested in reading it (after I'm
>done with it, of course).

It is hard to think of one book that explains/describes feminism.  I jumped
right in with a book by Sonya Johnson - I definitely don't recommend that!
A few suggestions that I have:

Sisterhood is Powerful: An anthology of writings from the women's liberation
movement.  Edited by Robin Morgan.
  This gives a pretty wide range of subjects and would be good for understanding
how wide spread feminism is.  The only drawback is that it is a bit dated...

Women's Reality: An emerging female system in a white male society. by Anne
Wilson Schaff.
  This doesn't address the issue of feminism directly but it gives a good over-
view of American society and women's (and minorties') place in it.  I did a lot
of Aha-ing in this book and it is easy reading.

In Search of our Mother's Gardens.  by Alice Walker.
  Walker is fairly easy to read and doesn't put one on the defensive.  I don't
know if this particular book is the one to recommend but any collection of
essays by Walker is worth reading (as are her poems and novels!).

I hope this helps.
Lisa
farmerl@handel.cs.colostate.edu

"If people want to make war they should make a colour war and paint each other's
cities up in the night in pinks and greens." Yoko Ono (_Louder than Words_)

noe@sunc5.cs.uiuc.edu (Roger Noe) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May8.232741.14731@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> fg7@cunixf.cc.columbia.EDU (Farshid Guilak) writes:
>Does anybody know of a good book - a primer of sorts - on feminism ideals
>and beliefs.  I think she would be interested in reading it (after I'm
>done with it, of course).

I recommend "Issues in Feminism:  A First Course in Women's Studies" by
Sheila Ruth.  Houghton-Mifflin, 1980, ISBN 0-395-28691-3.  Yes, it's
due for updating (if the author hasn't brought out a new edition yet)
but it has the right scope that you're looking for.  Very accessible,
clearly written basic text.
--
Roger Noe                            roger-noe@uiuc.edu
Department of Computer Science       noe@cs.uiuc.edu