[soc.feminism] Dealing with harassment

lwalton@polar.bowdoin.EDU (Lisa Walton) (05/02/91)

I have to disagree with Joan Peckham's advice to her undergraduate
student.  Humiliating or angering one's boss is always risky,
especially if you are young, new, and not well established in the
company's hierarchy.

I am a petite woman who always looks younger than I really am (I'm 27
and am frequently asked when I plan to graduate from college).  I have
faced this problem many times in both a professional/business and
academic environment.

I discovered (the hard way) that any show of emotion (embarrasement,
anger, amusement, or even a good come-back) just encourages some men
to keep it up.  My best defense was to keep my cool and be very polite
and professional all the time (hard to do when someone touches you or
pulls your hair).  If you don't react, it just isn't "fun" anymore.

The other thing to be careful of is dressing and behaving properly in
the office.  Many young women (myself included) made the mistake of
joking around with new co-workers like they were friends.  Sometimes
this works, other times it gives people the wrong impression.  Wearing
clothes that emphasize your youth can be another problem.  You need to
establish yourself as a serious professional, and that is
unfortunately often more difficult for women than men.

Sometimes there isn't anything short of creating a major fuss that
will stop the harassment.  At that point a woman just has to decide
how important her job really is to her.  It is not usually an easy
choice.

I have always managed to find a diplomatic solution, and I think in
most cases there is one.  I wish Joan's student the best of luck.
Hang in there!  This problem will only really be solved when more
women have more positions of authority and can "change the
establishment" from the inside.

-Lisa Walton

tty1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Timothy T Yuan) (05/04/91)

Actually, Tim's wife.  I had this same problem once many years ago,
please! just turn to your boss next time he touches you and say "This
is sexual harassment and if you don't stop I'm going to file a
complaint." Then laugh in his face.  Don't let this go on and don't
feel like you must alter your behavior or dress, it's his problem.
Also follow through with the threat.  I found this to be quite
effective and still maintained a good friendly relationship with my
boss for several years after.  Good luck.

Katie
(tty1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu)

scholl@uvmark.uucp (Kathryn Scholl) (05/08/91)

In article <9105012345.AA27996@polar.bowdoin.edu> lwalton@polar.bowdoin.EDU (Lisa Walton) writes:

>I discovered (the hard way) that any show of emotion (embarrasement,
>anger, amusement, or even a good come-back) just encourages some men
>to keep it up.  My best defense was to keep my cool and be very polite

I definitely agree with this approach.  It works especially well with
jokes.  Anytime a male (or female for that matter), makes some
off-colored or sexual joke, I just stare at them with no emotion
whatsoever.  Many times they think it "went over my head", but at
least it makes them think that I'm just not into it, have no sense of
humor, boring, whatever.

And I don't particularly care. It gets them away from me.
(..sometimes they even shrink away embarrassed, the greatest reaction
of them all.)

--
Kathryn Scholl
..uunet!merk!uvmark!scholl

rivero@dev8g.mdcbbs.com (05/08/91)

In article <9105012345.AA27996@polar.bowdoin.edu>, lwalton@polar.bowdoin.EDU (Lisa Walton) writes:
> Hang in there!  This problem will only really be solved when more
> women have more positions of authority and can "change the
> establishment" from the inside.
>
> -Lisa Walton

Lisa

  I have been watching the "establishmentment" through my eyes, and
through those of several close female friends. My observation is that,
for all the talk about women "banding together to change the world"
that the female in a position of power is far more ruthless than the
male, even in competing with other women. I believe this tendancy has
been documented in some recent studies published in Psychology Today,
but confess I do NOT have a ready reference (perhaps some kind
net.lander can help).  I don't agree with females being discriminatory
any more than I agree with males being discriminatory. Both are
destructive of co-operative effort in the workplace, a much needed
commodoty in the post-80's reality.

Michael

P.S. Working on a .sig

markh@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Mark William Hopkins) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May03.184143.65677@uvmark.uucp> scholl@uvmark.uucp (Kathryn Scholl) writes:
>I definitely agree with this approach.  It works especially well with
>jokes.  Anytime a male (or female for that matter), makes some
>off-colored or sexual joke, I just stare at them with no emotion
>whatsoever.

Why are sexual jokes wrong?

This sounds a lot like the oppressive sexual taboos of the Dark Ages (i.e.
before 1964), that we've supposedly evolved away from, rearing its ugly head
again ... to claim that it is self-evidently wrong.  Not just wrong, but
self-evidently wrong.

Next, we'll be hearing that saying "thigh" and "breast" (even in reference to
chicken) shall be immoral...

throop@cs.utexas.edu (David Throop) (05/12/91)

  There have been several suggestions about how to deal with a boss
who has become to personal and who ignores requests to desist.  Having
watched several friends go though this, I'd observe:

  No effective method is risk-free.  The worker has to judge for
herself whether she's dealing with a hardcore MCP or just a guy who
needs some gentle guidance; she also has to judge for herself whether
the company will back her up if it actually comes to a formal
complaint.

 But there is one thing that one should *always* do, and that is to
create a documentation trail.  Keep a diary of offensive remarks, and
of your response to them.  Keep copies documentary evidence (like, if
the harrassment happened in a meeting, keep a copy of the memo that
announced the meeting.)  Even if you don't plan to take it to court,
just the fact that you have evidence which *would* stand up in court
can make a difference in how the thing is handled.

  I recently saw a case fall apart for lack of documentary evidence.
The boss had been pressuring the woman to go to bed with him for many
months.  She had originally told him "no" quite clearly, and he backed
off and was well behaved for a couple months.  Then when the
harrassment started again, she had no way of substantiating the
orignal, clearer harassment.  When she finally did make a complaint,
the only things she could solidly substantiate were either trivial or
could be explained away as innocent (she might have believed they were
innocent if it wasn't for the previous behavior.)

So keep records.   In your home, not your desk.

In passing, I'd note that this is good advice for handling *any*
grossly inappropriate behavior, not just sexual harassment.

David Throop

scholl@uvmark.uucp (Kathryn Scholl) (05/15/91)

>In article scholl@uvmark.uucp I write:
>>I definitely agree with this approach.  It works especially well with
>>jokes.  Anytime a male (or female for that matter), makes some
>>off-colored or sexual joke, I just stare at them with no emotion
>>whatsoever.
>
>Why are sexual jokes wrong?
>
>This sounds a lot like the oppressive sexual taboos of the Dark Ages (i.e.

I guess I meant "sexist"?

Some "sexual" jokes really capture the essence of relationships, love,
etc., and those, to me, are humorous.

But some jokes that aren't considered "sexist" have subtle, sexist
references (to me).  Those are the ones that gnaw at me.

Maybe this discussion has come up before, but what are the major, *and*
subtle differences between "sexual" and "sexist"?  Or is it simply
subjective?

Curious.

--
Kathryn Scholl