[soc.feminism] Book Review: Against Our Will

tittle@ics.UCI.EDU (Cindy Tittle Moore) (05/08/91)

Review by Cindy Tittle Moore
May 6, 1991

This article may be reproduced only in its entirety; which includes
preserving the author's name, this notice, and all addresses given at
the end.  It is freely redistributable as long as all recipients are
entitled to do so likewise and no profit is made.

Copyright (C) 1991 by Cindy Tittle Moore

  Against Our Will
  by Susan Brownmiller
  Bantam Books
  ISBN 0-553-25895-8 (paperback)
  Library of Congress: not given

  All page numbers given are from the Bantam paperback version.

Against Our Will by Susan Brownmiller is a disturbing, contradictory
work.  It is misrepresented both by feminist and anti-feminist camps;
feminists lauding it as a quintessentially accurate portrayal of rape,
the anti-feminists denouncing it as a virulently anti-male piece of
propoganda.  The book is neither.

I had heard so much contradictory commentary on this book; commentary
I was unwilling by and large to address since I had not read the book,
that I was hesitant about reading this.  I was surprised to find, for
example, that a substantial portion of the book is composed of
compiling a history and background to rape.  There is a solid amount
of documentary evidence collected here to illustrate the history of
rape.  At the same time, the outrageous quotes that
anti-Brownmillerians trot out at every opportunity are present, and
not taken too much out of context.  It is worth noting, however, that
the bulk of the outrageous quotes are found in the first chapter and a
half of the book.  There are a few more isolated outrageous quotes
after the first chapter, but they are few and far between.  The end
effect is that of a personal polemic tacked on to the beginning of an
otherwise solid piece of work.

I have serious qualms about portions of this book (which I will, of
course, expound on ;-), but I am willing to express admiration overall
for this book, which was a book written on rape published over 15
years ago.  As such, it is a landmark work and the influence of its
thought appears in much of today's debates, even among those who most
ferociously denounce her.  It is therefore an important book and
should be read.  However, as we will see, it is not without serious
flaws.

The first two chapters discuss the ``mass psychology of rape'' in
which Brownmiller assesses the effect that the existence of rape has
on our society.  As I have previously mentioned, this chapter is
riddled with outrageous generalizations.  Even taking into account
that she is necessarily talking in generalities because she is
expounding on the overall effect of rape in our society, comments such
as

  * ``[Rape] is nothing more or less than a conscious process
    of intimidation by which *all men* keep *all women* in a
    state of fear.'' (pg 5)
    [Then again, ``That *some* men rape provides a sufficient threat
    to keep all women in a constant state of intimidation...'' (pg 229),
    is in contrast to the page 5 quote.  Italics are hers.]
  * ``...one of the earliest forms of male bonding must have
    been the gang rape of one woman by a band of maurauding
    men.'' (pg 5)
  * ``Female fear of an open season of rape, and not a natural
    inclination toward monogamy, motherhood or love, was probably
    the single causative factor in the original subjugation of
    woman by man, the most important key to her historic dependence,
    her domestication by protective mating [that is, mating with a
    chosen male to protect her from the rest of the males]'' (pg 6)

are clearly beyond the bounds of generalizations.  In the rest of the
second chapter she discusses the history of laws pertaining to rape,
showing how the definition of rape has remained very narrow, even, in
some ways, up to now.  She also discusses what the various penalties
were.  There are a number of interesting points brought up here,
unfortunately marred by the polemic so evident in these two chapters.

However, in successive chapters, Brownmiller devotes her time to
documenting the occurrences of rape under various circumstances.  She
discusses rape during wartime, showing the extent of rape in war and
how it fits into the general paradigm of ``the conqueror''.  She also
shows the extent to which rape is sidelined in these same histories:
the defeated side will have always been the one that raped (a good
example is the characterization of the Germans in the early parts of
WWI and WWII), or how the charges of rape were used for propoganda
purposes, or how historians commenting on the wars will ignore or
trivialize reported cases of rape (the time it took to actually verify
the ``Rape of Nanking'' by the Japanese and that its verification was
something of an accident anyway).  Rape in the contexts of
revolutions, pogroms, and riots are explored.  The function of rape in
slavery and in subjugation of the American Indians are also discussed.
All of which makes for intriguing reading.  There is still a tendency
to generalize, but in these chapters, it is overwhelmed by the sheer
amount of data she brings to these discussions.

In addition, Brownmiller details a profile of the ``typical rapist'',
a discussion of gang rape, and the function of rape in prison.  A
point that Brownmiller is at pains to illustrate throughout her book,
that rape is a crime of *violence* and not sex, is beautifully made in
this section.  For example, in prison, the systematic raping of smaller
and more vulnerable men exactly parallels raping of women in society
at large.  In gang rape, Brownmiller descends again into her anti-male
polemic, but an essential point is made: rape is very often committed
by two or more men on one woman and as such is very often planned
(debunking the myths of a single passion-inflamed man raping on the
spur of the moment).  She discusses group dynamics in this section:
points are made here that I've seen elsewhere such as how it is easier
to commit violent acts as a group (think of the Rodney King/LA police
incident). Another point that she hammers home is that rapists are not
depraved, mentally ill, exceptional individuals.  They are ordinary
men who are used to using violence to achieve their ends.  Given that
society as a whole encourages violence in men (as opposed to women),
this has serious implications.  A number of other myths about rape are
discussed in the sixth chapter and are exploded with the precise aid
of various studies done on rape and observations of police and other
statistics.

I considered the most interesting part of the book to be the
discussion on the way rape ought to be treated in court.  She first
argues that we need a simple, straightforward *gender-free* definition
of rape, including but not limited to forcible genital copulation (pg
425).  She argues that the victim's prior sexual history is
irrelevant.  She does admit that the victim's prior sexual history
with the defendant may be relevant.  She argues that a prior sexual
history should not be considered as carte blanche for later sex (e.g.,
that marital rape can occur).  She then goes on to say:

  ``A modern perception of sexual assault that views the crime
  strictly as an injury to the victim's bodily integrity, and not as
  an injury to the purity or chastity of man's estate, must normalize
  the penalties for such an offense and bring them in line more
  realistically with the penalties for aggravated assault, the crime
  to which a sexual assault is most closely related.'' (pg 425)

Even though up to this point, she had made it clear that rape fell
somewhere between aggravated assault and robbery in terms of the
amount of violence used, I was not expecting this.  She goes on to
argue that the severity of the penalty should be based on:

  * the severity of objective physical damage
  * the manner in which the assault was accomplished (e.g., with a
    gun, the number of rapists)
  * any permanent physical damage or lasting phsycological damage

She also discusses how rape should be handled with children and with
the tricky ages between childhood and adulthood.  All of this is a
gem; I would happily distribute copies of pages 422 to 439 as far and
wide as I could if there weren't copyright laws.

Pornography is attacked in this book, as one would expect.  This has
been a long and continuing point of discussion in feminist circles;
this book was certainly one of the earliest that detailed the case
against pornography.  I'm not particularly convinced by the argument
given here, but then I'm in the ``pornography is just a symptom, let's
concentrate on real problems'' camp.  S&M is likewise attacked here; I
disagree with her argument because she does not consider nor discuss
*real*, consensual S&M.  I have no quarrel with the objection to
non-consensual S&M, but this is not the whole story of S&M.

A definite lack in this book is the consideration of non-traditional
rape: she dismissed female-on-male rape even though that does happen
(under the purview of coercive rape) because the only authoritian view
she subscribes to is that of male over female, even though there are
situations, especially adult over child, where the female will be in
authority.  She also discussed male-on-male rape only in the context
of prison.  Female-on-female rape is not even considered.

There are so many good points brought up in this book that I've had to
leave them some of them out for room's sake in this review.  To
summarize, the book is worth reading; she even explodes some of the
myths about *herself* in it, but you have to pick through a certain
amount of dross.  I would assign the book historical importance.
Certainly there is much in the book that it could do without: if you
took out the polemic, you would be left with an excellent book.

There is no king who has not had a       | INTERNET: tittle@ics.uci.edu
slave among his ancestors, and no slave  | BITNET: tittle@uci.bitnet
who has not had a king among his.    __  | UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucivax!tittle
  -- Hellen Keller                   \/  | USNAIL: POB 4188, Irvine CA 92716

gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) (05/08/91)

In article <4298.673580348@blanche.ics.uci.edu> (Cindy Tittle Moore) writes:

>the anti-feminists denouncing it as a virulently anti-male piece of
>propoganda.  The book is neither.

In *your* opinion.

>that I was hesitant about reading this.  I was surprised to find, for
>example, that a substantial portion of the book is composed of
>compiling a history and background to rape.
             ^^^^^^^
*Selective* history.

>not taken too much out of context.  It is worth noting, however, that
>the bulk of the outrageous quotes are found in the first chapter and a
>half of the book.

*I* found them all over the book.  I did not quote anything from the
first two chapters in my answer - to demonstrate this point.

>years ago.  As such, it is a landmark work and the influence of its
>thought appears in much of today's debates, even among those who most
>ferociously denounce her.

I'm excluded.

>It is therefore an important book and should be read.

Agree.

>The first two chapters discuss the ``mass psychology of rape'' in
>which Brownmiller assesses the effect that the existence of rape has
>on our society.

>discusses rape during wartime, showing the extent of rape in war and
>how it fits into the general paradigm of ``the conqueror''.

Let's quote her:
#When men are men, slugging it out among themselves, conquering new land,
#subjugating new people, driving toward victory, *unquestionably* there
#shall be some raping.

The thesis in this chapter is, in *my* opinion, that
"When men are men, ...  *unquestionably* there shall be some raping."

Brownmiller has no fucking idea what war really means, for *men*,
and what kind of hell it is, for *men*.  Her claim is:

#War provides men with the perfect psychologic backdrop to give vent
#to their contempt of women.  The very maleness of the military - the
#brute power of weaponry exclusive to their hands, the spiritual
#bonding of men and arms, the manly discipline of orders given and
#orders obeyed, the simple logic of the hierarchical command - confirms
#for men what they long suspected, that women are peripheral, irrelevant
#to the world that counts, passive spectators to the action in
#the center ring.

To me, most feminist "analysis" of men seems as stupid as Freud's
analysis of women.  In both cases the refusal to treat the other
sex as quite similar human beings, and not as a n alien entity,
is the real message of the "analysis".

>She also
>shows the extent to which rape is sidelined in these same histories:

This is *selective* editing of history.

She does not bother to give a background of what went around.
The USSR lost 15-20 million people in WWII, most of them men,
but Brownmiller really believes that one can give an analysis
of rape in that war without explaining how massive death influences
men.  She has no idea what being drafted, being forced to fight,
being in death danger on regular basis, seeing your best friends
dying and seeking revenge influence men.

Her idea of understanding men is "put them under *heavy* pressure,
count all the bad things they do (while ignoring everything else),
and then call it `typical men's behavior.'"

If one wants to know what really happened in WWII then he should read
real history books, or witnesses *full* accounts like the uncensored
version of "Babii Yar" or Ka Tzetnik books.

If one wants to *ignore* the background and pick only the facts that
fit the feminist theory then she should read "Against Our Will".

>the defeated side will have always been the one that raped

Also killed.

For some reason a large number of dead men does not bother
Brownmiller and Cindy as much as a large number of raped women.

The traditionalists and the feminists have a similar view on that matter.

Anyway, take a look in Brownmiller's refusal to
participate in anti-war demonstrations:

#As a woman totally committed to the feminist cause I received several
#requests during this time to march, speak and "bring out my sisters"
#to antiwar demonstrations "to show women's liberation solidarity with
#with the peace movement," and my response was that if the peace movement
#cared to raise the issue of rape and prostitution in Vietnam,
#I would certainly join in.

Just think about the situation:
Young men are *afraid* of being drafted and being sent to death (since
"Against Our Will" had not been published, they did not know that
war is good for them...), they organized demonstration.  Brownmiller
refused to help because she thought that there were other issues that
should have the same important to these scared young men -
prostitution in Vietnam.

I think that it shows "I don't give a damn about men" attitude,
Cindy does not even bother herself to mention such issues.

*I* think that the book is very Politically Correct in the meaning
it has today.  The young men who are in a danger of death are "bad
guys" but there is plenty of understanding to the "right" minorities.

E.g. when the rapes in Congo went on:
#When Congolese forces began celebrating independence in July, 1960,
#by raping Belgian women, including nuns, and a few scattered accounts
#appeared in the papers, my attitude was one of disbelief.  I chalked
#up the stories to fraudant rumors, basically racist, designed to
#embarrass the cause of Patrice Lumumba, hero and martyr of Congo
#self-determination.
#..., and my views remain unchanged as far as Lumumba is concerned.
#I still believe that he was the hope of Congo.

The point is that a person takes control, rapes happens under his
control and he does not really try to stop them; Brownmiller
is looking for excuses for him because he belongs to the
"good people" by some Politically Correct standard.

Similar thing we see in her description of Scottsboro.
A white woman gave a testimony, under an oath, in several trials,
that some black men raped her.  She lied, but Brownmiller
does not blame a *woman* for something like that:

#It was a white man's game that was played out in the Scottsboro trials,
#with black men and white women as movable pawns, and white men judged
#iterracial rape according to their own particular property code.

The women lied, and men were sentenced to death because they lied,
but Brownmiller just looking for excuses for them.  The same woman
who expects all men to have high moral values after years of *fear*
in war and army, looking for excuses for a damn liar of
the appropriate sex.

>a discussion of gang rape, and the function of rape in prison.  A
>point that Brownmiller is at pains to illustrate throughout her book,
>that rape is a crime of *violence* and not sex, is beautifully made in
>this section.  For example, in prison, the systematic raping of smaller
>and more vulnerable men exactly parallels raping of women in society
>at large.

In *my* opinion the issue in prison rape is not so much violence as
control.  The state can stop (or greatly reduce) prison raping, but
it does almost nothing.  It is a *good* tool to terrorize men and to
cause them to be really scared from jail, but Brownmiller or Cindy
just can't see it that way.  I wonder if any of them have ever
*talked* with a man who was *scared* of jail because of rapes.

>the tricky ages between childhood and adulthood.  All of this is a
>gem; I would happily distribute copies of pages 422 to 439 as far and
>wide as I could if there weren't copyright laws.

I wonder if her down-play of men's fears of false accusation or

#The case against pornography and the case against toleration of
#prostitution are central to the fight against rape, [page 438]

bothered you even a little.

>against pornography.  I'm not particularly convinced by the argument
>given here, but then I'm in the ``pornography is just a symptom, let's
>concentrate on real problems'' camp.

Willingness to cut other's people freedom of speech to achieve your goals
is a real problem, in *my* opinion, but it does not bother Cindy.

>S&M is likewise attacked here; I
>disagree with her argument because she does not consider nor discuss
>*real*, consensual S&M.

Cindy, what you say is *not* true.
Why can't you check "sadomasochism in the index before you give such claim?

#Within the current Gay Liberation Movement there is a boisterous
#minority contained within the outposts of leather bars that would
#like to see consensual sadomasochism, including the paraphernalia of
#whips and handcuffs, accepted as a civil-libertarian right,
#Hardly by accident, sadomasochism has always been defined by male
#and female terms.  It has codified by those who see in sadism a
#twisted understanding of their manhood, and it has been accepted
#by those who see in masochism the abuse and pain that is synonymous
#with Woman.  For this reason alone sadomasochism shall always
#remain a reactionary antithesis to women's liberation.

Aside from all the lies, the bottom line is obvious:
to achieve women's liberation feminists like Brownmiller should decide
what is the Politically Correct way for gay *men* to have sex.

This is just one more example of the propaganda tools in the book.
First show how bad rape is, and then give zillion demands that
should be accepted to stop rape.  If someone rejects them then
he is pro-rape.

>A definite lack in this book is the consideration of non-traditional
>rape: she dismissed female-on-male rape even though that does happen

It is not a lack, it is part of the thesis:
What do you think that Brownmiller means when she says:
#Pornography, like rape, is a male inversion. [Page 443]

Saying that women can rape (or enjoy porno) is just an anti-thesis
to the traditional-feminist-sexist view of women as pure people.

>Certainly there is much in the book that it could do without: if you
>took out the polemic, you would be left with an excellent book.

If you took out the junk almost nothing will left, in *my* opinion.

I prefer to move this discussion to a non-moderated forum.
Follow-up is directed to soc.men,

>There is no king who has not had a       | INTERNET: tittle@ics.uci.edu

Hillel                                          gazit@cs.duke.edu

"WAVMP has yet to make any public statements in support of gay rights, sex
education in schools, birth control and abortion, children's right to sexual
information and freedom, decriminalization of prostitution or civil rights of
sexual minorities.  They continue to grow larger to grow larger, more powerful
and more pro-censorship and antisex in their positions.  Few members of the
liberal press will risk opposing or criticizing them because they travel under
the protective, self-applied label `feminist'.  It is obvious that no one in
the conservative press will oppose them, either - unless they get too public
about having a large lesbian membership."
   --  ("AMONG US, AGAINST US the new puritans", Pat Califia)

tittle@zola.ics.uci.edu (Cindy Tittle Moore) (05/10/91)

I have only one thing to say and this is it: I stopped debating with
Hillel Gazit quite some time ago; my refusal to respond should not be
taken as tacit agreement or disagreement with him.

--Cindy

nadel@aero-c (05/10/91)

I agree that Cindy should not attempt to debate Hillel over whether or not
Hillel's comments are correct - Hillel should simply provide his own review
of the book rather than trying to engage Cindy in a shouting match.

I genuinely doubt that Hillel has read the book, and I will admit that I
haven't, so there is no question in anyones mind.  If he has, he is
certainly free to provide a -review- rather than some ranting about what
is wrong with Cindy's review.

"Against Our Wills" is a highly touted book, and based on any objective
review, isn't worth the effort to read.  There are many better examples of
feminist literature where the author isn't attempting to further some
agenda that all men are evil.

The issue that I concern myself with in this case is the agenda of the
author.  There are many valid points to be made about rape, and certainly
the author is well read on these.  But she clearly (from the reviews and
exerpts that I have read) misses many very crucial points.  The first is
that the vast majority of men find rape to be repulsive and that the vast
majority of men are simply not rapists.  The second is that the image of
`woman as victim' is not empowering.  Any case of `date rape' that is not
as violent as `real rape' is, IMHO, clear evidence that women are taught
by society that they are there to be victimized.  The message I see is
"Don't resist, don't struggle, you are supposed to be a victim", and as a
survivor of sexual abuse and violent abuse by my ex-spouse, de-programming
yourself from the role of the victim is the first step in ceasing to be
one.

Brownmiller begins by creating this image of men as hordes of wandering
rapists, and spoils any chance for an objective discourse on the causes
of preventions of rape.  The notions that come out of `men as rapists'
modes of thinking include such absurdities as men crossing the street
when they see a woman coming, lest her insecure fears be brought to the
surface.  The message is not one of self-confidence and self-assertiveness
for women, but rather fear and loathing of men.

There are men and women alike that are expressing their existence by
the ways that they have been made into victims.  Certainly there are
oppurtunistic women and men that prey on such people, but that doesn't
make all men or all women either victims or oppressors.  Brownmiller and
others create this image that all men are oppressors and all women are
victims, even in the face of evidence that men and women are individuals
falling somewheres on a continuum between victim and oppressor, with all
manner of twists, quirks, and psychological behaviors inbetween.  The
bin I put Brownmiller, et al, into is `oppressor as victim', where the
oppressor justifies their behavior based on their perception of themselves
as victims.  "You did it to me, now I get to do it to you."

I appreciated Cindy's review, because it does provide me with further
evidence that the box isn't worth the trouble to read.  I didn't
appreciate Hillel's response; if he wants to provide us with reasoned
thoughts, fine.  Let's see the Hillel Gazit version of the book.  This
time, sans personal attacks and petty arguments.

dhw@iti.org (David H. West) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May15.144955.22072@aero.org> John Haugh writes:
>[...] the image of `woman as victim' is not empowering.

This is very important, IMO.   A radical feminist (her term) that I
knew, who now teaches Women's Studies at a large university, used to
drive me crazy with her strong commitment to the view that, in some
(universal?) sense, women "are" (as opposed to "too often are/were")
victims, oppressed etc.   It may be possible that such a belief could
serve as a useful source of energizing anger, but I don't see how it
can be the basis for a coherent vision of ongoing improvement.

-David West        dhw@iti.org

farmerl@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (lisa ann farmer) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May15.144955.22072@aero.org> John Haugh writes:

>author.  There are many valid points to be made about rape, and certainly
>the author is well read on these.  But she clearly (from the reviews and
>exerpts that I have read) misses many very crucial points.  The first is
>that the vast majority of men find rape to be repulsive and that the vast
>majority of men are simply not rapists.  The second is that the image of

I think that most men find "stranger" rape repulsive but date rape is a
different matter.  According to a study done by Dr. Mary P. Koss, a good per-
centage of the men surveyed believed certain things could be expected if they
paid for dinner, etc.  There were questions designed in such a way that would
find out if the men had raped without using the word rape.  They would answer
yes to these questions but no to the questions containing the word rape.  I
would direct you to the book _I never called it rape_ by Robin Warshaw for
more info on this study.
Lisa
farmerl@handel.cs.colostate.edu

"If people want to make war they should make a colour war and paint each other's
cities up in the night in pinks and greens." Yoko Ono (_Louder than Words_)

zrra07@ncar.UCAR.EDU (Randall R. Appleton) (05/18/91)

In article <14915@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, farmerl@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (lisa ann farmer) writes:

|> I think that most men find "stranger" rape repulsive but date rape is a
|> different matter.  According to a study done by Dr. Mary P. Koss, a good per-
|> centage of the men surveyed believed certain things could be expected if they
|> paid for dinner, etc.  There were questions designed in such a way that would
|> find out if the men had raped without using the word rape.  They would answer
|> yes to these questions but no to the questions containing the word rape.  I
|> would direct you to the book _I never called it rape_ by Robin Warshaw for
|> more info on this study.
|> Lisa
|> farmerl@handel.cs.colostate.edu

Do you know any men who have, even once, engaded in data-rape but don't call it that?  I bet you have known many men (50 or 100 or so) over your life, but I *guess* that not one of them has ever date-raped someone without realizing it.

I mearly point this out for the following reason.  If *you* don't know any men who do this, and *I* don't know any men who do this, then they must not be as common as you seem to think.

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen (really, I`m not).  I am just saying that men who unknowingly date-rape are not as common as you seem to think.

-Randy

ge@mcnc.org (George Entenman) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May15.144955.22072@aero.org>  writes:

 > "Against Our Wills" is a highly touted book, and based on any objective
 > review, isn't worth the effort to read.  There are many better examples of
 > feminist literature where the author isn't attempting to further some
 > agenda that all men are evil.

It's been over 10 years since I read Susan Brownmiller's Against Our
Wills.  There may be newer books that are better, but I would like to
say why this book was worth reading at the time and what I learned from
it.

For me the book makes two very important points:

1.  Most contributers to this newsgroup seem to agree that rape
is a crime of violence, not sexuality.  I would submit that we
would not believe this if Brownmiller had not written that
long, horrible chapter about rape in the military and in
prison; about the rape of old women; etc.  If the book did no
more, it's historical value would be undisputed IMHO.

2.  Brownmiller establishes that the social function of rape is
to control women.  This point was most clearly made in the
chapter on popular fiction, where she analyzes pulp novels,
men's magazines, comic books, etc.  Rape is the punishment that
women "deserve" if they are not subservient to their husbands and
boyfriends.  This does not mean that the husbands or boyfriends
do the raping.  It is the rapists, the "shock troops" who do
that.

John Haugh also says that:

	>Brownmiller and others create this image
	>that all men are oppressors and all women are victims,
	>even in the face of evidence that men and women are
	>individuals falling somewheres on a continuum between
	>victim and oppressor....

I think that Brownmiller is perfectly aware of this continuum.
In my opinion, the point she is making is *not* that all men
are rapists, but that all men *benefit* from the actions of
rapists.

I'm sure that most of the men reading this newsgroup would
never rape a woman or force her to have sex in any way.  We're
nice guys.

But I submit that we all *benefit* from rape, whether we wish to
or not.  We have no more choice in the matter than those of us
who are white benefit from living in a racist world.

It's not hard to imagine how we "nice guys" benefit.  Women
need us to escort them at night or in dangerous areas.  We
fantasize about rescuing grateful women from a rapist (and here
I would ask the male readers of this newsgroup to look honestly
at themselves).  We get to post understanding articles to this
newsgroup and to feel accepted and needed by women.  And many
men benefit from having wives and girlfriends who are not free
to move about at night, for example.

In summary, Brownmiller's invaluable contribution was to show
that rape is violence and that violence is used to keep women
"in their place."  The criticisms that I have seen in this
newsgroup tend to focus on *individuals*, on how "we are not like
that", either not afraid (as women) or not rapists (as men).
But if we think of Brownmiller as someone who has helped us
understand the *social* function of rape, then I believe that we
will appreciate her contribution more and feel less threatened
as individuals by her book.

#                         George Entenman (ge@mcnc.org)                  #
# Besta e tu'             5 Bartram Drive                                #
# Se voce' na~o viver     Chapel Hill, NC 27514-4405			 #
#   neste mundo....       919/942-5858					 #

carroll@cs.uiuc.edu (Alan M. Carroll) (05/22/91)

In article <7906@alvin.mcnc.org>, ge@mcnc.org (George Entenman) writes:
> In my opinion, the point she is making is *not* that all men
> are rapists, but that all men *benefit* from the actions of
> rapists.
>
> But I submit that we all *benefit* from rape

I disagree with this claim.

> It's not hard to imagine how we "nice guys" benefit.  Women
> need us to escort them at night or in dangerous areas.

This is a benefit to the male? That's like saying I benefit from
robbery because I get to pay to put extra locks on my door.

> We
> fantasize about rescuing grateful women from a rapist.

Irrelevant. First, it's a fantasy, and doesn't count in reality.
Second, if there weren't rapists, we'd fantasize about rescuing them
from a robber / killer / etc. Third, how many of the male homosexuals
reading this have such fantasies?

> We get to post understanding articles to this
> newsgroup and to feel accepted and needed by women.

This is bogus. Most net males don't post such notes, and therefore
clearly do not get this "benefit". Others have no need to be accepted
or needed by "women" (there's only 1 woman I need any acceptance
from).  Still others can be accepted and needed by "women" without
having to resort to comforting them about rape.

> And many
> men benefit from having wives and girlfriends who are not free
> to move about at night, for example.

Again, this is a _benefit_? I find dealing with this for my wife a
burden that I would be rid of without a moment's hesitation. It's like
paying insurance premiums - a costly necessity.

--
Alan M. Carroll          <-- Another casualty of applied metaphysics
Epoch Development Team

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (05/23/91)

-----
In article <7906@alvin.mcnc.org> ge@mcnc.org.UUCP (George Entenman) writes:
> ... In my opinion, the point she [Brownmiller] is making is
> *not* that all men are rapists, but that all men *benefit*
> from the actions of rapists.

It would be more accurate to say that those who enjoy the
attitudes fostered by prevalent rape benefit from it, even if
they would never commit it.  But this does *not* include all men,
nor does it exclude all women.

> ... I submit that we all *benefit* from rape, whether we wish
> to or not.  We have no more choice in the matter than those of
> us who are white benefit from living in a racist world.
>
> It's not hard to imagine how we "nice guys" benefit.  Women
> need us to escort them at night or in dangerous areas. ... We
> get to post understanding articles to this newsgroup and to
> feel accepted and needed by women.  And many men benefit from
> having wives and girlfriends who are not free to move about at
> night, for example.

What the above analysis misses is that some men (and not all
women) view the above social aspects of rape as detriments,
rather than benefits.  *Some* men may like the fact that their
wives' and women friends' freedom of movement is constrained as
described above, but others of us dislike this.  Indeed, I
suspect that one reason many of my activities take place in
mostly male enclaves, to my dismay, is precisely the social
inhibitions on women, which are enforced in many more ways than
rape.

A similar point can be made with regard to Mr Entenman's comments
on racial discrimination.  Whatever comparative advantage I enjoy
through this, I believe that we would all be better off if
everyone could better exploit their abilities in the economic
realm.  In this, I include both blacks from poor inner cities in
America, and also those of all races who live in less developed
countries.  (It never ceases to amaze me that some who go to
every extreme to help the former also go to extremes to maintain
comparative advantage for ourselves over the latter.)

Russell

tom@fibermux.com (Tom Dietz) (05/23/91)

In article <7906@alvin.mcnc.org> ge@mcnc.org.UUCP (George Entenman) writes:

>I think that Brownmiller is perfectly aware of this continuum.
>In my opinion, the point she is making is *not* that all men
>are rapists, but that all men *benefit* from the actions of
>rapists.
>
>I'm sure that most of the men reading this newsgroup would
>never rape a woman or force her to have sex in any way.  We're
>nice guys.
>
>But I submit that we all *benefit* from rape, whether we wish to
>or not.  We have no more choice in the matter than those of us
>who are white benefit from living in a racist world.
>
>It's not hard to imagine how we "nice guys" benefit.  Women
>need us to escort them at night or in dangerous areas.  We
>fantasize about rescuing grateful women from a rapist (and here
>I would ask the male readers of this newsgroup to look honestly
>at themselves).  We get to post understanding articles to this
>newsgroup and to feel accepted and needed by women.  And many
>men benefit from having wives and girlfriends who are not free
>to move about at night, for example.

 I guess the problem I have with your argument is that I see the attitudes
which you have viewed as perpetuating both racism and rape.  The logic that
I am using here is; if I feel something benefits me, I am all for it, I
think that I, as with all people, am selfish, and therefore react positively
to things that benefit me.

I do not feel that racism benefits me as a white person. I feelt that racism
hurts me and society in general. An example would be economic (from a
capitalist POV); if a group is discriminated against through hiring and
un-fair pay, they do not have money to spend on products and services. The
affect is to stiffle the market potential, therefore lowering everybody's
standard of living.

As for rape, I do not see how having women living in fear of men benefits
me, "nice guys", or any other men. If women are afraid of men (in general),
does that not also mean women distrust men? and then does it not follow that
it is more difficult to build friendships and relationships (assuming this
was the benefit to the "nice guys" mentioned); these being built on trust?

If the direct victims of racism and rape use the argument that these acts
benefit the race and gender that the racist and rapist belong to, how can
they expect the support of that group? A much better tactic would be to
enlist the support of the (mis)perceived benefactors, through showing
how these acts do not benefit them, but harm them.

>##########################################################################
>#                         George Entenman (ge@mcnc.org)                  #
># Besta e tu'             5 Bartram Drive                                #
># Se voce' na~o viver     Chapel Hill, NC 27514-4405			 #
>#   neste mundo....       919/942-5858					 #
>##########################################################################

Tom

P.S. it was my intent in this response to show how, from a purely selfish
point of view, racism and rape harm individual (white men in this case)
interest. It was not my intent to dismiss other arguments on the subject.

gazit@cs.duke.EDU (Hillel Gazit) (05/23/91)

In article <7906@alvin.mcnc.org> ge@mcnc.org.UUCP (George Entenman) writes:
>But I submit that we all *benefit* from rape,
>whether we wish to or not.

I reject this claim.

I prefer to sleep with a woman because she wants my body,
not because she wants my protection.

Rape causes women to be more frighten, more hostile and less
friendly.  It becomes harder to start a conversation,
with a woman especially in the middle of the night.

Add to that the fact that women who were raped tend to
avoid sex for extended periods of time.

The bottom line is that rape reduces the quantity and the
quality of friendly sex which is available to men (and women).

The follow-up is directed to talk.rape.

[As long as the subject is on discussion of feminist analysis of rape
(eg, whether or not men benefit from rape), it is appropriate here.
Followups that start to stray off from that should go to talk.rape.
Those wishing to discuss specifically with Gazit should probably go to
talk.rape whether or not the subject stays on topic for soc.feminism.  --CTM]

jfh@cs.utexas.edu (John F Haugh II) (05/25/91)

In article <7906@alvin.mcnc.org> you write:
>In article <1991May15.144955.22072@aero.org>  I wrote:
>	>Brownmiller and others create this image
>	>that all men are oppressors and all women are victims,
>	>even in the face of evidence that men and women are
>	>individuals falling somewheres on a continuum between
>	>victim and oppressor....
>
>I think that Brownmiller is perfectly aware of this continuum.
>In my opinion, the point she is making is *not* that all men
>are rapists, but that all men *benefit* from the actions of
>rapists.

All men most certainly do not benefit from rape.  Rape places on men's
shoulders this imagined burden of protecting women from an unlikely
event.  Yes, I do understand that roughly 1 in 4 women will be raped
or sexually abused in their lifetimes.  However, a similiarly large
number of men will be the victims of violent crimes, as well as victims
of sexual abuse.  As others have pointed out, aggrevated assault is 10
times more frequent than rape, and most of the victims are male.  And
not that surprising, is that men stand a 1 in 6 chance of being sexually
abused.

I have been the victim of numerous violent crimes, including sexual
abuse, spousal abuse (battered husband), mugging, armed robbery, etc.
What stopped the pattern of abuse for me was to stop viewing myself as
a victim - the last violent act ever commited against me was by a
young man that tried to steal my car, with me in it.  At that point I
decided that I had been a victim long enough, and fought back.  He is
now serving 14 years (unless he has been parolled) in prison.  The
entire experience, of confronting my attacker and winning, through to
the trial and his conviction, empowered me to stop being a victim.

Except for the sexual abuse and the spouse abuse, all of the violent
acts against me were commited by blacks.  Should I say that "all blacks
benefit from violence against whites" since whites tend to stay away
from inner city areas?  Since my sexual abusers were homo- or bi-
sexuals, should I say that "all homosexuals benefit from sexual abuse
against heterosexuals"?  How about "all women benefit from husband
battering"?

Some men do benefit from rape, some women benefit from rape as well.
If you have ever been a habitual victim, you might understand this.
Think of all the attention you can get if you can just this once get
beaten up =really= bad.  How much more sympathy could you get if you
only got two black eyes instead of one?  The first act of violence
against your person should be the last act.

A young woman at the local corner store was recently beaten by her
boyfriend.  I told her my experience, and tried to provide some
emotional support, much as any concerned friend might.  I would
ask her from time to time if she was doing OK.  After some time she
seemed to be doing perfectly well - but she is back with this same
guy all over again.  Who is benefitting from this cycle?  The people
around her that are encouraging her to get away from this abusive
boyfriend, or the woman who is getting the sympathy and attention of
her friends?  I would say that some of each - the friends get to play
the concerned friend and the woman gets to be the poor victim.

In any victim/oppressor situation like the above, unless you actively
seek to break the cycle of abuse, you are at least passively supporting
it.  The real friends are the ones that build up her self-confidence
so she sees that she doesn't have to associate with this guy, not the
ones that pat her on the head and tell her how terrible her boyfriend
is.  In the case of any violent crime, the best thing the individual
can do is avoid genuinely dangerous situations (such as any location
called "Rape Alley"), and spread the word that violence will not be
tolerated, then take steps to provide for a credible deterance.  Get
a gun, take a self-defense class, and be vocal about it.

mcg@phobos.cis.ksu.EDU (05/29/91)

In article <1991May17.231746.23508@trc.amoco.com> uunet!apctrc!zrra07@ncar.UCAR.EDU (Randall R. Appleton) writes:

>In article <14915@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, farmerl@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (lisa ann farmer) writes:
>|>
>|> I think that most men find "stranger" rape repulsive but date rape is a
>|> different matter.  According to a study done by Dr. Mary P. Koss, a good
>|> percentage of the men surveyed believed certain things could be expected
>|> if they paid for dinner, etc.  There were questions designed in such a
>|> way that would find out if the men had raped without using the word rape.
>|> They would answer yes to these questions but no to the questions
>|> containing the word rape.  I would direct you to the book
>|> _I never called it rape_ by Robin Warshaw for more info on this study.
>|> Lisa
>|> farmerl@handel.cs.colostate.edu
>

>Do you know any men who have, even once, engaded in data-rape but
>don't call it that?  I bet you have known many men (50 or 100 or so)
>over your life, but I *guess* that not one of them has ever date-raped
>someone without realizing it.

>I mearly point this out for the following reason.  If *you* don't know
>any men who do this, and *I* don't know any men who do this, then they
>must not be as common as you seem to think.

>I'm not saying that it doesn't happen (really, I`m not).  I am just
>saying that men who unknowingly date-rape are not as common as you
>seem to think.

>-Randy

I know of a man at least once who engaged in date-rape and refuses to
call it that. He's my neighbor and still is.