[soc.feminism] Sexism vs. Men's Oppression

obermark@symcom.math.uiuc.edu (Jon Obermark) (05/14/91)

        This notesfile seems to see lots of contention about whether it is
possible to be sexist toward a man, and I am finding myself so confused at
the moment that I am wondering what this has to do with feminism.
        Most folks here seem to be of one of two opinions regarding this
issue, either they believe that men are not oppressed *as* men, or they
believe that somehow the oppression of men offsets the oppression of women to
some degree, and that feminism must concern itself with addressing all
oppression based upon the division of sexes.  I find myself reacting rather
violently to both of these positions, and reading the information that
supposedly supports either of them usually only convinces me of the writer's
lack of understanding of the opposite sex's oppression.
        Let me first explain my use of the term oppression.  To be oppressed,
one need not have an oppressor, only have others consistently act on untrue
assumptions about you based on some irrelevant criterion in a way which harms
you and alienates you from them.  When there is an oppressor this is easy to
identify.  The oppressor spreads lies which "defend" their harmful actions and
alienate them from the oppressed so that they don't have to deal with the
direct effects of those lies or those actions.  But this is not the only
mechanism for oppression.
        Men are in fact needlessly hurt by our society in ways that women, in
general, are not.  We are trained in violence early and are expected to treat
each other brutally, without sympathy (I have never seen girls forced to
wrestle, or allowed to "fight out" an argument that could easily be addressed
otherwise "because it is good for them.")  We are expected to be completely
self-sufficient in all ways except emotionally (I have seen *many* more 16
year old boys thrown out on the street than 16 year old girls, and three-
quarters of the homeless are men.)  We are used as tools, with no concern for
our willingness or personal safety (contact sports, dangerous industries, and
military service are domains where men predominate currently.  And in the past
hunting and warfare have been *mandatory* parts of "manhood."  The work
required of women at the same time may have been as hard or harder, but was
generally less dangerous.)  We are indoctrinated into a compulsive,
performance-oriented sexuality... And I could go on, but a tally of men's woes
is not my point, and doesn't belong in soc.feminism anyway.  This list is only
to show that things happen which hurt men *as a class*.
        But if you investigate men's oppression you note that seldom are women
its source.  And though individual women can use it to their advantage, so can
individual men.  So that women *as a class* gain nothing from its existence.
The oppression creates "handles" that allow men to be used as efficient,
dispassionate, expendable tools without any obligation of actual human contact
on the users part.  But these handles are open to male hands as easily as to
female hands, and men tend to abuse them more often than women do.
        The oppression of women is of a different order.  It creates a
definite privilege state for men and works largely, though not exclusively,
through male hands.
        Using a definition of sexism which lumps these two together creates
major problems by hiding the completely different natures of the two styles of
oppression.  So I use "sexism" only in the sense of the oppression of women by
men, because this form involves the creation of a power imbalance between the
sexes, parallel to the power imbalance racism creates between races.  And I
understand feminism to be concerned only with sexism in this definition.
        Men often choose the compound definition of sexism, however, because
it puts them in a better light.  They can claim that sexism is somehow
"equally unfair all around."  This is obvious bullshit, but it floats down
this stream quite often.  And discouragingly enough, it seems to be the
conviction of some of the folks writing here.
        On the other hand, the problem *does* exist.  And feminist writers
often disbelieve in the oppression of men as a class.  The only feminists I
have read who think men are hurt at all by the division of the sexes label
men's oppression as a side effect of the oppressor role, denying that men can
be hurt as a class other than by themselves. (Sorry, I just thought of an
exception -- Barbara Deming.  The generality fails, but the trend remains.)
This is blaming the victim, and leads to a complete disregard for the truth of
men's lives and the limits on their power.
        My position is that men are oppressed, but that that is a separate
issue from feminism.  Feminists should not contribute to this oppression, but
they need not confuse it with their own goals, or allow it to side-track
their thinking.  Women have no obligation to deal with men's problems or to
purposely skirt issues that may cause conflicts with men.  On the other hand,
actively insisting that women are "the ones oppressed" and that men's
oppression is either self-inflicted or trivial is buying into the oppression
of men, which is just as real as sexism.

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (05/14/91)

-----
In article <1991May13.194337.3494@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> obermark@symcom.math.uiuc.edu (Jon Obermark) writes:
> Men are in fact needlessly hurt by our society in ways that women,
> in general, are not. ...

Notably absent from Mr Obermark's list are the facts that men are
expected to be the family provider, the chief family intermediary
with the economic world, and that in the area of romance they are
expected to be the pursuer who must "prove his worthiness" to
have a sexual relationship.  These would provide some challenge to
his conclusion:

> But if you investigate men's oppression you note that seldom
> are women its source.  And though individual women can use it
> to their advantage, so can individual men.  So that women *as
> a class* gain nothing from its existence. ...

The above items are ways that men are oppressed for the benefit
of women, not other men.  It would be fair to say that the ways
men as a class benefit from the sexism in our society is greater
than the ways women as a class benefit from it, and that (in
general) it works to give men greater social status.  But it is
NOT the all and nothing division that Mr Obermark paints.  I
think some of the posts to which Mr Obermark reacts were written
by people who were reacting to precisely this inaccurate picture.

> Using a definition of sexism which lumps these two together
> creates major problems by hiding the completely different
> natures of the two styles of oppression. ...

By Mr Obermark's own definition, men also suffer from the kind
of oppression which he thinks deserves the label "sexism".

> On the other hand, the problem *does* exist.  And feminist
> writers often disbelieve in the oppression of men as a class. ...

Most feminist writers I have read have been quite sympathetic
to this oppression (providing the reader is sympathetic in
interpreting their writings).  Some emphasize the asymmetry
between the sexes in the results and amount of sexism that
oppresses them, but I think there is good reason they do so.
One can consistently (and accurately) point out that men also
suffer from sexism, but that women have gotten the short end
of the stick.

> ... The only feminists I have read who think men are hurt at
> all by the division of the sexes label men's oppression as a
> side effect of the oppressor role, denying that men can be
> hurt as a class other than by themselves. (Sorry, I just thought
> of an exception -- Barbara Deming. ...

Let me herald another exception: Marilyn French.  No one reading
"Beyond Power" can doubt that she is concerned with both sexes,
and that she condemns aspects of our social system rather than
either gender.

Russell

dgross@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Dave Gross) (05/14/91)

According to obermark@symcom.math.uiuc.edu (Jon Obermark):
	<overall a good summary of arguments about sexism & oppression>

>        But if you investigate men's oppression you note that seldom are women
>its source.  And though individual women can use it to their advantage, so can
>individual men.  So that women *as a class* gain nothing from its existence.
>The oppression creates "handles" that allow men to be used as efficient,
>dispassionate, expendable tools without any obligation of actual human contact
>on the users part.  But these handles are open to male hands as easily as to
>female hands, and men tend to abuse them more often than women do.

	Here I start to disagree with you.  If you take, for example,
	the use of men as military pawns, often (in the case of the
	draft) against their will, I would argue that women *as a
	class* do benefit from having men be the only ones on the
	front lines.  In an egalitarian society, a good chunk of
	the infantry would be women, so in this non-egalitarian
	society, their places on the front lines and therefore in
	Arlington National Cemetary are being taken by men.  A woman,
	because she is a woman, knows that she has no risk under our
	current system of being drafted, and furthermore she knows
	that should she decide to join the military she will not be
	assigned to a combat position (this may change soon)

>        The oppression of women is of a different order.  It creates a
>definite privilege state for men and works largely, though not exclusively,
>through male hands.

	Saying that the few people who benefit from the oppression of
	men and women happen to be mostly men is a lot different from
	saying that there is "a definite privilege state for men."

>        Using a definition of sexism which lumps these two together creates
>major problems by hiding the completely different natures of the two styles of
>oppression.  So I use "sexism" only in the sense of the oppression of women by
>men, because this form involves the creation of a power imbalance between the
>sexes, parallel to the power imbalance racism creates between races.  And I
>understand feminism to be concerned only with sexism in this definition.

	There are those of us who sincerely believe that the popular
	feminist comparison between the subjugation of women and the
	subjugation of blacks just doesn't hold water.

	Many of us are men who don't hold any particular power in
	society, and look around to see that the vast majority of our
	brothers do not hold any power either.

	You can look at Congress, or the White House, or the CEOs of
	the Fortune 500, and see a whole lot of male faces there.  It
	is fundamentally inaccurate, however, to reverse the statement
	"most of the powerful are men" into "most of the men are
	powerful."  It just doesn't work that way.

>        My position is that men are oppressed, but that that is a separate
>issue from feminism.  Feminists should not contribute to this oppression, but
>they need not confuse it with their own goals, or allow it to side-track
>their thinking.  Women have no obligation to deal with men's problems or to
>purposely skirt issues that may cause conflicts with men.  On the other hand,
>actively insisting that women are "the ones oppressed" and that men's
>oppression is either self-inflicted or trivial is buying into the oppression
>of men, which is just as real as sexism.

	My position is that sex roles are oppressive, and that feminism
	ought to consider this fact the absolute root of their movement.
	Feminists should neither contribute to this oppression, nor deny
	inconvenient aspects of it.  Women have no obligation to deal with
	men's problems, nor vice versa, but people who are concerned with
	ending oppressive sex roles should take on this task nonetheless.

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- dgross@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"The reemphasis on feminine values...led to a shift in the mode of argument

jan@oas.olivetti.com (Jan Parcel) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May13.194337.3494@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> obermark@symcom.math.uiuc.edu (Jon Obermark) writes:

>        This notesfile seems to see lots of contention about whether it is
>possible to be sexist toward a man, and I am finding myself so confused at
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>the moment that I am wondering what this has to do with feminism.
>        Most folks here seem to be of one of two opinions regarding this
>issue, either they believe that men are not oppressed *as* men, or they
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Without getting into some of the excellent points you made, such as
the difference between being oppressed because of gender vs. independently
of gender, (and other points from the net, such as areas where men *are*
oppressed *as* men, at least according to any definition that doesn't try
to take the sum total of priviledge as priviledge was defined in 1950),
I'd like to point out my discomfort with using sexism or other *ism as
synonyms for oppression.

I see a big difference between *isms, stereotyping according to *, vs.
oppression.  For instance, I have met at least one African-American who
was at least mildly racist against whites, in that she believed  the
"blue-eyed-devil" theory that white people are inherently more *ist
_for_ _genetic_ _reasons_ than other people.  But oppression requires
a power structure, and, with the possible exception of a VERY small
town, or a household closed to the world, I do not believe that
white people can (yet) be oppressed by black people.

The confusing of these two issues seems to me to be a degradation of
the language, such as back when everyone started saying "I mean, he
*literally* killed me!!,"  or when people use "Christian" to mean
"educated" or "fair", and "educated" to mean "mannered," etc.  Such
strange uses of words cause much confusion, IMHO.

That *professors* are doing this upsets me a bit...could the poster
from X posts back, who started this thread, ask his/her prof what
she meant? (a little late, aren't I....)

~~~ jan@orc.olivetti.com   or    jan@oas.olivetti.com  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We must worship Universal Consciousness as each of the 5 genders in turn
if we wish to be fully open to Yr glory.
						-- St. Xyphlb of Alpha III

gannon@MDI.COM (Alden Gannon) (05/15/91)

In article <49629@ricerca.UUCP> jan@oas.olivetti.com writes:
>I see a big difference between *isms, stereotyping according to *, vs.
>oppression.  For instance, I have met at least one African-American who
>was at least mildly racist against whites, in that she believed  the

This is MILD racism???  Sounds worse than the Afrikaaners to me...

>"blue-eyed-devil" theory that white people are inherently more *ist
>_for_ _genetic_ _reasons_ than other people.  But oppression requires
>a power structure, and, with the possible exception of a VERY small
>town, or a household closed to the world, I do not believe that
>white people can (yet) be oppressed by black people.

Oppression requires *power.*  Whether it comes from a "structure," from
a religious conviction that sways people, or from the ability to evoke
fear in others doesn't matter.  Any time a person has power over another
person, oppression can result.  If I may paraphrase Susan Brownmiller, she
makes the argument that men, as a group, oppress women, as a group,
with the fear of rape.  Where does she get this idea?  Undoubtedly, she
refers to crime statistics that indicate that a disproportionate number of
rape convicts are men.  This fact evokes fear in women, so that even if they
are never raped, they are still oppressed by their fear.  I can use this
same argument to claim that blacks oppress everyone, because a disproportionate
number of violent crime convicts are black.  I choose not to use this
argument, because I refuse to be oppressed by fear (and I don't believe
conviction rates are a good metric), but those who use it in reference to
oppression of women must accept that it may be used in reference to oppression
of any group.
Alden B. Gannon, a.k.a. Zarathustra. INTERNET: gannon%mdi.com@uunet.uu.net
"Gotta find a woman be good to me,     USENET: ..uunet!mdi.com!gannon
Won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea." --Grateful Dead.

farmerl@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (lisa ann farmer) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May13.194337.3494@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> obermark@symcom.math.uiuc.edu (Jon Obermark) writes:

>self-sufficient in all ways except emotionally (I have seen *many* more 16
>year old boys thrown out on the street than 16 year old girls, and three-
>quarters of the homeless are men.)  We are used as tools, with no concern for

I thought I read in Time magazine near Christmas 1989 that men being the
plurality of homeless people was a myth.  In fact (if I am remembering the
article correctly) women and children were a definite majority of the homeless.
I know this doesn't really have much to do with the original posting but I was
just curious as to what the latest figures/facts are.
Lisa
farmerl@handel.cs.colostate.edu

"If people want to make war they should make a colour war and paint each other's
cities up in the night in pinks and greens." Yoko Ono (_Louder than Words_)

oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu (Sharon L. O'Neil) (05/18/91)

In article <282f3194.17a3@petunia.CalPoly.EDU>, dgross@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Dave Gross) writes:
> According to obermark@symcom.math.uiuc.edu (Jon Obermark):
> 	<overall a good summary of arguments about sexism & oppression>
>
>>        But if you investigate men's oppression you note that seldom are women
>>its source.  And though individual women can use it to their advantage, so can
>>individual men.  So that women *as a class* gain nothing from its existence.
>>The oppression creates "handles" that allow men to be used as efficient,
>>dispassionate, expendable tools without any obligation of actual human contact
>>on the users part.  But these handles are open to male hands as easily as to
>>female hands, and men tend to abuse them more often than women do.
>
> 	Here I start to disagree with you.  If you take, for example,
> 	the use of men as military pawns, often (in the case of the
> 	draft) against their will, I would argue that women *as a
> 	class* do benefit from having men be the only ones on the
> 	front lines.

	You make a good argument for an egalitarian draft that includes
women, but you must realize that here, women are NOT AT THE SOURCE of this
male oppression.  Women did not make the decision that only men should be
drafted.  Men made this decision.  If you think that this should be changed,
I suggest that you write your congressional representatives (who, more
than likely, will be male, since there are still few female congressional
representatives.)

>       A woman,
> 	because she is a woman, knows that she has no risk under our
> 	current system of being drafted, and furthermore she knows
> 	that should she decide to join the military she will not be
> 	assigned to a combat position (this may change soon)

 	First of all, let's remember that NO ONE has been drafted since
the mid-seventies.  Certainly, only men right now are being required to
register with selective service, but I think that if push came to shove,
that our congress would actually begin to draft women.  I know that on
January 16, when the war began, this was a worry of mine, just as it was
a worry of my male friends.  We spent a lot of time talking about the
possibilities.  In the end, no one got drafted.  Instead, both male and
female reservists were activated.  And, if you're all upset about women
not dying in combat, then please go and check and see if any women died
in the Middle East during the war.  I'm sure you'll find that even though
women did not "officially" serve in combat, many did actually serve in
positions that could be considered "combat."  Some were taken prisoner.
Some died.

	Also, according to my family's recent copy of the Air Force Times,
the first major barrier to women serving in combat has been removed.  So,
what are you going to do to effect an egalitarian position for women once
women are draftable and eligible to serve in combat.  Let me tell you, if
I'm draftable and eligible to serve in combat, I damn well want ALL my
equal rights.

>>        My position is that men are oppressed, but that that is a separate
>>issue from feminism.  Feminists should not contribute to this oppression, but
>>they need not confuse it with their own goals, or allow it to side-track
>>their thinking.  Women have no obligation to deal with men's problems or to
>>purposely skirt issues that may cause conflicts with men.  On the other hand,
>>actively insisting that women are "the ones oppressed" and that men's
>>oppression is either self-inflicted or trivial is buying into the oppression
>>of men, which is just as real as sexism.
>
> 	My position is that sex roles are oppressive, and that feminism
> 	ought to consider this fact the absolute root of their movement.
> 	Feminists should neither contribute to this oppression, nor deny
> 	inconvenient aspects of it.  Women have no obligation to deal with
> 	men's problems, nor vice versa, but people who are concerned with
> 	ending oppressive sex roles should take on this task nonetheless.

	Interesting.  I went to hear Gloria Steinem speak a few months ago
and something that she was very sincerely concerned about was the fact that
the feminist movement has ignored men for so long.  Her contention was very
similar -- that we have to focus on the problems of men if we are going to
ever solve the problems of women.  Feminism involves giving /both men and
women/ the ability to make their own choices and live with those choices.

 Sharon L. O'Neil | Internet: oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu | Bitnet: oneil@unoma1

gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) (05/22/91)

In article <14905.2833d44d@zeus.unomaha.edu> (Sharon L. O'Neil) writes:

>	Interesting.  I went to hear Gloria Steinem speak a few months ago
>and something that she was very sincerely concerned about was the fact that
>the feminist movement has ignored men for so long.

1) Why is she suddenly so concerned about the subject?

2) What did she offer to men, aside from her "very sincere concern"?

Hillel                                                    gazit@cs.duke.edu

"It's because he's "concerned," George -- which in today's Esalen-
Speak means he's going to be a good liberal and show that he is
aware, no disgusted, by these things, but he just can't be bothered
to do anything about them.  Concerned.  That's what it means."  --  Clay Bond

gannon@MDI.COM (Alden Gannon) (05/23/91)

In article <14905.2833d44d@zeus.unomaha.edu> oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu (Sharon L. O'Neil) writes:
>	You make a good argument for an egalitarian draft that includes
>women, but you must realize that here, women are NOT AT THE SOURCE of this
>male oppression.  Women did not make the decision that only men should be
>drafted.  Men made this decision.  If you think that this should be changed,
>I suggest that you write your congressional representatives (who, more
>than likely, will be male, since there are still few female congressional
>representatives.)

I've followed this thread for some time, and I still can't see why
this is a gender issue.  Whether women or men cause discrimination
based on sex doesn't matter.  The fact that only men must register
with the selective service is a *law*, not a gender issue.  Who cares
whether the legislature that drafted this law was composed of men,
women, or 3 toed sloths?  In South Africa, ANC supporters in Soweto
are being murdered by radical Black Zulus.  Is this violence somehow
justifiable because it's Black on Black, and would only be condemned
if the Afrikaaners were doing the killing?  The draft is a
discriminatory policy, and should be changed.  Seaching for a group to
"blame" for the policy seems like wasted effort.

>I'm sure you'll find that even though
>women did not "officially" serve in combat, many did actually serve in
>positions that could be considered "combat."  Some were taken prisoner.
>Some died.

So, how many women died in the Gulf War?  How many out of the seventy-
something total U.S. deaths?

[Sharon says]
>        My position is that men are oppressed, but that that is a separate
>issue from feminism.  Feminists should not contribute to this oppression, but
>they need not confuse it with their own goals, or allow it to side-track
>their thinking.  Women have no obligation to deal with men's problems or to
>purposely skirt issues that may cause conflicts with men.

[Then says]
>	Interesting.  I went to hear Gloria Steinem speak a few months ago
>and something that she was very sincerely concerned about was the fact that
>the feminist movement has ignored men for so long.  Her contention was very
>similar -- that we have to focus on the problems of men if we are going to
>ever solve the problems of women.  Feminism involves giving /both men and
>women/ the ability to make their own choices and live with those choices.

Are you saying that you don't agree with Gloria Steinem?  If not, how
do you reconcile these positions?

oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu (Sharon L. O'Neil) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May21.221824.5781@MDI.COM>, gannon@MDI.COM (Alden Gannon) writes:

>> In article <14905.2833d44d@zeus.unomaha.edu> oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu (Sharon L. O'Neil) writes:
>> [Context: I argue that it is not fair to justify discrimination against women
>> on the basis that they cannot be drafted or because they cannot serve in
>> combat because 1) No one has been drafted since the mid-seventies, male or
>> female 2) the decision to force men to register with selective service was
>> made by congress, a body composed mostly of men and 3) despite the fact that
>> women do not serve combat, this could change very soon, and is pretty much
>> a moot point, since many women did serve in the Gulf War in combat areas in
>> jobs that were not combat and 4) many women did perform duties which were
>> pretty damn close to combat.

Alden Gannon then replies:
> I've followed this thread for some time, and I still can't see why
> this is a gender issue.  Whether women or men cause discrimination
> based on sex doesn't matter.  The fact that only men must register
> with the selective service is a *law*, not a gender issue.

	I thought I made that clear.  I merely take offense with those who
	would argue that women are justifiably denied their equal rights on
	the basis of 1) not being drafted and 2) not serving in combat.
	Women are not drafted and they do not serve in combat because a
	bunch of congressmen in Washington D.C. are afraid that it will
	cost them their political careers.  None of them want to be
	characterized by their political opponents as "the guy who sent
	your daughter to be raped by Iraqi soldiers."  In essence, we women
	are being told that we should accept our lot because we do nothing
	to protect our way of life, but then, we /are/ being denied the
	ability to fight in combat or being drafted.  To me, it doesn't
	make sense.  There are plenty of women (and gays and lesbians for
	that matter) who are willing to serve, but cannot.

> Who cares
> whether the legislature that drafted this law was composed of men,
> women, or 3 toed sloths?  In South Africa, ANC supporters in Soweto
> are being murdered by radical Black Zulus.  Is this violence somehow
> justifiable because it's Black on Black, and would only be condemned
> if the Afrikaaners were doing the killing?  The draft is a
> discriminatory policy, and should be changed.  Seaching for a group to
> "blame" for the policy seems like wasted effort.

	I'm not arguing whether the draft is good or bad.  I'm not
	making a judgement about the draft one way or another.  I'm
	merely saying that the justifications used by many to oppress
	women are not institutionalized by women.  Women did not choose
	to not be drafted or not serve in combat.  Someone else chose
	that for us.  Whether or not the draft is right or wrong has
	nothing to do with this debate.

	As set up, the draft is a discriminatory policy, but too many
	people are blaming women for the inherent sexism (against men)
	in the draft -- but that blame is misdirected.  Why punish women
	(and gays and lesbians) for not serving in combat and for
	not being drafted -- that is what I'm concerned about here.

> So, how many women died in the Gulf War?  How many out of the seventy-
> something total U.S. deaths?

	A small number died.  I can't remember the exact number -- I have
	a list of all who died in the Gulf War.  The number /was/ less than
	five, but /of course/ we have to remember that women did not serve
	in combat positions.  Or, at least, most women did not serve in
	combat positions.  One of the pilots who died, I believe, was serving
	on a mission that was not classified as a combat mission, but
	essentially /was/ a combat mission.  Do you see what I am saying now?
	We're talking numbers here, but those numbers are skewed because woman
	are denied the ability to serve in combat.  If you argue that less
	than five women died in the Gulf War and if you argue that that is
	justification for denying women equal rights, then can't you see that
	the cards are stacked against women in the first place.  (You can't
	get a job if you don't have any experience, but how do you get
	experience if you can't get a job is a poor analogy.  But do you
	see where I am coming from?)

In article <674858563@lear.cs.duke.edu>, gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) writes:
> In article <14905.2833d44d@zeus.unomaha.edu> (Sharon L. O'Neil) writes:
>
>>	Interesting.  I went to hear Gloria Steinem speak a few months ago
>>and something that she was very sincerely concerned about was the fact that
>>the feminist movement has ignored men for so long.
>
> 1) Why is she suddenly so concerned about the subject?
>
> 2) What did she offer to men, aside from her "very sincere concern"?

	Since you ask, Hillel, I'll be glad to answer.  I believe that
	she is "suddenly so concerned about the subject" because -- and
	I can't provide quotes here or even paraphrases because the talk
	was quite some time ago -- because in essence, men are victims of
	sexism just as women are.  If women are supposed to be weak, then
	men are supposed to be strong and this is not necessarily a fair
	demand.  Sexism denies men the pleasure and enjoyment of being
	nurturing, of caring for their children and being involved in
	the household.  In essence, from what I understood of her talk,
	sexism stereotypes men just as it stereotypes women.

	What did she offer besides her "very sincere concern" -- I'm having
	to stretch way back into my memory because I don't want to represent
	her out of context -- I believe that the agenda that she was calling
	for that night was essentially focused upon women, but with the
	belief that if we truly did establish an egalitarian society, it
	would be as beneficial for men as it would be for women.  I believe
	that she was focusing mostly upon encouraging nurturance and other
	such qualities in men.  She concentrated a lot upon the home
	environment.  Of course she talked a lot about pro-choice.  To be
	honest, this was primarily a "cheer-leading" event.  She didn't
	discuss anything too terribly new, as we are out in the sticks.  But
	I believe if you read Ms., you would find those views pretty much
	reflected in her talk.

	I just think it is unfair to characterize Gloria Steinem as a total
	man-basher.  I didn't get that impression /at all/.

 Sharon L. O'Neil | Internet: oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu | Bitnet: oneil@unoma1

muffy@remarque.berkeley.edu (Muffy Barkocy) (05/29/91)

In article <282f3194.17a3@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> dgross@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Dave Gross) writes:
>  According to obermark@symcom.math.uiuc.edu (Jon Obermark):
>   <overall a good summary of arguments about sexism & oppression>
>>        But if you investigate men's oppression you note that seldom are
>>women its source.  And though individual women can use it to their
>>advantage, so can individual men.  So that women *as a class* gain nothing
>>from its existence. The oppression creates "handles" that allow men to
>>be used as efficient, dispassionate, expendable tools without any
>>obligation of actual human contact on the users part.  But these handles
>>are open to male hands as easily as to female hands, and men tend to
>>abuse them more often than women do.

> Here I start to disagree with you.  If you take, for example,
> the use of men as military pawns, often (in the case of the
> draft) against their will, I would argue that women *as a
> class* do benefit from having men be the only ones on the
> front lines.  In an egalitarian society, a good chunk of
> the infantry would be women, so in this non-egalitarian
> society, their places on the front lines and therefore in
> Arlington National Cemetary are being taken by men.  A woman,
> because she is a woman, knows that she has no risk under our
> current system of being drafted, and furthermore she knows
> that should she decide to join the military she will not be
> assigned to a combat position (this may change soon)

Why do you assume that this it is a benefit to women to be
discriminated against by the military?  I know of at least two women
of my acquaintance who were upset that they were not *allowed* to be
involved in the combat in the Gulf.  The women who do choose a career
in the military are not given the same opportunities, rights, etc. as
men.  This certainly isn't a benefit to them.

In addition, I and my female friends do not sit around and gloat/feel
secure/whatever because we cannot be drafted, any more than I suppose
most men sit around and gloat over how they ("as a class") get paid so
much more, on average, than women.

Discrimination against women, even to "protect" them, is not of benefit
to them.  The point is not that women are in a "privileged" position
because so many fewer of them die in combat, but that they are not
allowed to make that choice for themselves, so they are kept in a
subordinate/"child"/protected position.  We don't benefit from the
government making decisions "for our own good."

I don't want to see anyone drafted, or anyone serving in the military or
in combat, but if people are/do, I think that women should be treated
equally with men.

Muffy

oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu (Sharon L. O'Neil) (05/29/91)

Alden Gannon says that I said:
> [Sharon says]
>>        My position is that men are oppressed, but that that is a separate
>>issue from feminism.  Feminists should not contribute to this oppression, but
>>they need not confuse it with their own goals, or allow it to side-track
>>their thinking.  Women have no obligation to deal with men's problems or to
>>purposely skirt issues that may cause conflicts with men.

And compares this with what I know I did say:
> [Then says]
>>	Interesting.  I went to hear Gloria Steinem speak a few months ago
>>and something that she was very sincerely concerned about was the fact that
>>the feminist movement has ignored men for so long.  Her contention was very
>>similar -- that we have to focus on the problems of men if we are going to
>>ever solve the problems of women.  Feminism involves giving /both men and
>>women/ the ability to make their own choices and live with those choices.

	Now, maybe I did say the first quote.  If I did, I need to know
	the context in which I did say it.  I went back and looked at the
	last post I made to this newsgroup, which included the first post
	as a third generation quote but it's not clear who said it.  If I
	/did/ say it, I need to know the context in which I said it.

	Well, I do believe that men are oppressed and that oppression is
	a result of the oppression of women.  But I think that men will stop
	being oppressed when they stop oppressing women.  I don't think I've
	ever oppressed a man.  If he's felt oppressed -- I think it is more
	the result of society's oppression of me as a woman than it is
	because I, personally, have oppressed him.  Case in point: if a man
	feels oppressed because social convention dictates that he hold the
	door open for me, then it is the sexist social convention which
	is oppressing him.  Not me.  I don't insist that any man hold the
	door open for me.  (I used to be upset when a man held the door open
	for me, but if he chooses to oppress himself through social convention,
	then that's his choice.)

	I don't remember the context of the first quote, but I think that
	it is reconcilable with the second.  The first says that women need to
	be concerned with their own empowerment first and men's empowerment
	second.  That's not saying that men are inferior or less worthy of
	consideration.  Men /do/ hold the power in this society and therefore
	women do have to be concerned with gaining equality first.  If men
	/feel/ oppressed by feminism, that is because men are unwilling to
	give up their unfair share of power.  I think that the whole <PC
	Controversy> was invented by men who feel intimidated by women who are
	truly outspoken and empowered.  Some men have realized that the
	accusation of discrimination can indeed be powerful and have begun to
	use this very powerful rhetoric in order to silence women and
	effectively keep them in their place.

	I personally would idealistically call myself a humanist, but I
	realize that for humanistic principles to take over -- where
	men and women are equal -- there has to be more take on the part
	of women and more give on the part of men because I believe women
	have been doing a lot more giving and men having been doing a lot
	more taking.  If men did more giving, they would be more emotional
	and nurturing, and then they would enjoy what Steinem was talking
	about in the second quote.

 Sharon L. O'Neil | Internet: oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu | Bitnet: oneil@unoma1

gannon@MDI.COM (Alden Gannon) (05/30/91)

In article <15266.283c2ad5@zeus.unomaha.edu> oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu (Sharon L. O'Neil) writes:
>In article <1991May21.221824.5781@MDI.COM>, gannon@MDI.COM (Alden Gannon) writes:
[I present 2 quotes that I attribute to Sharon and challenge as contradictory]

>	Now, maybe I did say the first quote.  If I did, I need to know
>	the context in which I did say it.  I went back and looked at the
>	last post I made to this newsgroup, which included the first post
>	as a third generation quote but it's not clear who said it.  If I
>	/did/ say it, I need to know the context in which I said it.

Whoops!  I guess I don't really know if Sharon said the first quote.  My
apologies.

>	Well, I do believe that men are oppressed and that oppression is
>	a result of the oppression of women.  But I think that men will stop
>	being oppressed when they stop oppressing women.  I don't think I've
>	ever oppressed a man.  If he's felt oppressed -- I think it is more
>	the result of society's oppression of me as a woman than it is
>	because I, personally, have oppressed him.

Based on my experiences, and those of many other men, men do not feel
oppressed by women per se.  In fact, oppression is prehaps too strong a term.
Men feel *disadvantaged* in at least the following areas in society:

1.  The draft (this one is more like oppression).
2.  Parental choice (Women have it, men don't).
3.  Alimony, child support, and custody.
4.  Rape and domestic abuse law.
5.  Affirmative Action for only women and minorities.
6.  Hate crimes against gay men (this one *is* oppression).

I challenge Sharon to produce a list of ways women feel oppressed and show
how alleviating that oppression will also address the above six points.  As
for being the *cause* of these inequalities, consider the "liberal"
Afrikaaners that say they are not the cause of the systematic oppression of
Blacks.  Sharon lives in this country and enjoys many of its benefits.  By
not actively standing out against these inequalities, Sharon tacitly
supports them.  Indeed, without supporters of the status quo, the opposition
would easily rectify the imbalance, but this country's policies are dictated
by the will of voting constituencies (*not* men) consisting of a majority of
women.  Any time you vote for someone who favors free choice for women and
*no* choice for men, you are contributing to the oppression of men, whether
you are a man or a woman.

>	Case in point: if a man
>	feels oppressed because social convention dictates that he hold the
>	door open for me, then it is the sexist social convention which
>	is oppressing him.  Not me.  I don't insist that any man hold the
>	door open for me.  (I used to be upset when a man held the door open
>	for me, but if he chooses to oppress himself through social convention,
>	then that's his choice.)

It sounds like *you* were oppressed by your anger.  Perhaps he was rewarded
by his act of charity (that you didn't want) with warm feelings.  When I
hold a door open for someone, I consider it a common courtesy that I would
like returned if *I* was carrying an armload of groceries.  Being courteous
is not being oppressed.

>	I don't remember the context of the first quote, but I think that
>	it is reconcilable with the second.  The first says that women need to
>	be concerned with their own empowerment first and men's empowerment
>	second.  That's not saying that men are inferior or less worthy of
>	consideration.  Men /do/ hold the power in this society and therefore
>	women do have to be concerned with gaining equality first.  If men
>	/feel/ oppressed by feminism, that is because men are unwilling to
>	give up their unfair share of power.  I think that the whole <PC
>	Controversy> was invented by men who feel intimidated by women who are
>	truly outspoken and empowered.  Some men have realized that the
>	accusation of discrimination can indeed be powerful and have begun to
>	use this very powerful rhetoric in order to silence women and
>	effectively keep them in their place.

If men hold the power, where did I get my six points?  Why is it in the
interests of men to create AA, or sexist abuse laws?  Men do *not* hold
sovereignty (in the Rouseauian sense).  It is held by powerful voting
constituencies; one of which is NOW.

On the subject of the <PC Controversy>, Sharon must be speaking of a
different issue than I do when discussing this topic.  The main thrust
of the anti-PC argument is that PC people and institutions (most notably
academic ones) strive to *silence* opposing viewpoints.  I, being a
member of that camp, encourage empowerment and outspokeness of any
minority view, and in this forum, that includes Sharon's.

>	I personally would idealistically call myself a humanist, but I
>	realize that for humanistic principles to take over -- where
>	men and women are equal -- there has to be more take on the part
>	of women and more give on the part of men because I believe women
>	have been doing a lot more giving and men having been doing a lot
>	more taking.  If men did more giving, they would be more emotional
>	and nurturing, and then they would enjoy what Steinem was talking
>	about in the second quote.

It's hard to debate this academically, because Sharon doesn't provide
an example of just what is being taken and given.  However, Sharon does
seem to equate emotional and nurturing with good.  There is no reason
to catagorically assume this.  Hitler was an emotional man.  Being
nurturing isn't necessarily good, either.  A species that protects its
weak members to the unneeded danger of its strong members will inevitably
face extinction.  Is extinction a good?

gazit@cs.duke.EDU (Hillel Gazit) (05/30/91)

In article <15266.283c2ad5@zeus.unomaha.edu> (Sharon L. O'Neil) writes:

#ever solve the problems of women.  Feminism involves giving /both men and
#women/ the ability to make their own choices and live with those choices.

Sure...

>	more taking.  If men did more giving, they would be more emotional
>	and nurturing, and then they would enjoy what Steinem was talking
>	about in the second quote.

All of this from the woman who posted an article why "young boys"
[sic] should have no choice in case of birth control failure.

I don't think that y'all want a situation where men will have
a choice to do what they want; you prefer that men will only
have a choice to do what *you* want.

In article <15264.283c2534@zeus.unomaha.edu> (Sharon L. O'Neil) writes:

>	Women are not drafted and they do not serve in combat because a
>	bunch of congressmen in Washington D.C. are afraid that it will
>	cost them their political careers.

The one who renew men's registration for draft was Carter - the same
guy who pushed affirmative action so hard and got feminist support.

NOW had nothing to say about that *when* it could matter, (before
1980 election) and it does not speak about the subject now.

>       None of them want to be
>	characterized by their political opponents as "the guy who sent
>	your daughter to be raped by Iraqi soldiers."

Especially when 53% of the voters are women...

In article <MUFFY.91May24155156@remarque.berkeley.edu> muffy@remarque.berkeley.edu (Muffy Barkocy) writes:
>Discrimination against women, even to "protect" them, is not of benefit
>to them.  The point is not that women are in a "privileged" position
>because so many fewer of them die in combat, but that they are not
>allowed to make that choice for themselves, so they are kept in a
>subordinate/"child"/protected position.  We don't benefit from the
>government making decisions "for our own good."

Excuse me?  And men have a better choice?  I can simply choose not to
participate in a war, huh?

Men cannot choose for themselves whether they want to kill people and be
killed in some foreign land.  Women cannot choose for themselves whether
they want to stay home and tend victory gardens.  So who has the better
deal "for their own good?"

muffy@remarque.berkeley.edu (Muffy Barkocy) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.183550.484@MDI.COM> gannon@MDI.COM (Alden Gannon) writes:
   Men cannot choose for themselves whether they want to kill people and be
   killed in some foreign land.  Women cannot choose for themselves whether
   they want to stay home and tend victory gardens.  So who has the better
   deal "for their own good?"

So, to carry this line of argument further - it is obviously better to
not work (= not be in combat positions) than it is to go out and deal
with the stress of working (= be in combat positions).  So, the
government should make laws that women can't hold jobs (= combat
positions).  This will benefit women, right?  While they're at it, they
can make some more laws to benefit women.  For example, it is obviously
very dangerous on the streets at night - lots of violent crimes.  So, it
is better for women if there are laws to prevent them from going out on
the street at night.  Heck, it's better if they don't go out at all,
since *some* crimes are committed in the daytime.  So, how about some
laws that women can't go out of the house?  After all, now that they
can't work, why would they need to?  Also, most foods are pretty
dangerous to your health.  Ice cream has all that sugar and fat.  Coffee
is full of caffeine.  Meat is full of chemicals, antibiotics, and such.
Cooked meat can also be carcinogenic.  So, how about laws for what women
can eat?  It's surely "better for them" not to eat potentially dangerous
foods.

Muffy

gazit@cs.duke.EDU (Hillel Gazit) (05/31/91)

In article <15263.283c1f6f@zeus.unomaha.edu> (Sharon L. O'Neil) writes:

>	Since you ask, Hillel, I'll be glad to answer.  I believe that
>	she is "suddenly so concerned about the subject" because -- and
                ^^^^^^^^
>	I can't provide quotes here or even paraphrases because the talk
>	was quite some time ago -- because in essence, men are victims of
>	sexism just as women are.

That has always been true, but why *SUDDENLY* Steinem is so concerned?

>	for that night was essentially focused upon women, but with the
>	belief that if we truly did establish an egalitarian society, it
>	would be as beneficial for men as it would be for women.

Since you will never establish an egalitarian society, you can
always give promises for the future...  I asked what she has
to offer to men *now*.

>	environment.  Of course she talked a lot about pro-choice.

Did a person who is so "deeply concern" about men has a single word
to say about choice-for-men in a case of birth control failure?

Where's the beef?

>	I just think it is unfair to characterize Gloria Steinem as a total
>	man-basher.  I didn't get that impression /at all/.

I'd not use the term "men-basher"; "don't care about men" will be
a more accurate term, even if she expressed "her deep concern"...

> Sharon L. O'Neil | Internet: oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu | Bitnet: oneil@unoma1

Hillel                                                   gazit@cs.duke.edu

"In her ground-breaking new book, "The Demon Lover: On the Sexuality of
Terrorism," Robin Morgan advances an analysis of terrorism in which the soldier
(the State's hero) and the terrorist (the Revolution's hero) are mirror-image
expressions of male nature, not human nature.  A feminist writer who was once
involved in small, pre-Weathermen, "armed propaganda" groups, Morgan opens a
window of thought and action that lets us move out of a male-centered politics
of Thanatos - the romance of death - into a feminist politics of Eros, a loving
life force."  --  Ms. magazine, March 1989

oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu (Truth or Dare?) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May29.183550.484@MDI.COM>, gannon@MDI.COM (Alden Gannon) writes:
> In article <MUFFY.91May24155156@remarque.berkeley.edu> muffy@remarque.berkeley.edu (Muffy Barkocy) writes:
>>Discrimination against women, even to "protect" them, is not of benefit
>>to them.  The point is not that women are in a "privileged" position
>>because so many fewer of them die in combat, but that they are not
>>allowed to make that choice for themselves, so they are kept in a
>>subordinate/"child"/protected position.  We don't benefit from the
>>government making decisions "for our own good."
>
> Excuse me?  And men have a better choice?  I can simply choose not to
> participate in a war, huh?
> Men cannot choose for themselves whether they want to kill people and be
> killed in some foreign land.  Women cannot choose for themselves whether
> they want to stay home and tend victory gardens.  So who has the better
> deal "for their own good?"

	I agree BUT I think it is unfair to blame women for this.  As I
	have stated /over and over/ again: women did not choose not to be
	drafted.  Congress did.  If you have a problem with the way that
	current draft policy is set, then you really should call your
	congressman or state representative and make your feelings known.

	Patricia Schroeder is currently trying to get the armed forces to
	allow women to serve in combat.  I read a very, very interesting
	editorial in the May 30, 1991 USA Today by this woman who is also a
	member of the House of Representatives.  She argues that women
	should be able to serve in combat and that the rules excluding women
	are antiquated, especially when it comes to the Air Force.

	In the Gulf War, women were not allowed to fly combat aircraft, but
	they were allowed to fly unarmed, noncombat planes in enemy
	territory.  In other words, they did things like fly supplies in
	combat territory.  If a woman can fly a supply plane in combat
	territory, why can't she fly a combat plane?  As Schroeder points out,
	the plane doesn't know if a male or a female is operating the craft.

	Hillel points out that President Carter pushed a male registration
	in the seventies.  Yes, quite true, Hillel.  I remember that.  I also
	remember that there was some debate as to whether women would be
	included and I think that the reason Carter ended up pushing the male
	registration is because he knew that a male/female registration would
	never pass through Congress.  He wanted a registration and he took
	what he could get.

	Alden -- why aren't women going to be drafted anytime soon?  I'll
	tell you why.  I think that we are in quite a conservative backlash
	in this country, for one thing.  And I think that our society has a
	view of women that is much too patronizing and protective.  I agree
	with you that a Male Draft isn't fair.  I just don't think you're
	putting the blame for the situation on the right people.  Blame the
	politicians.  Don't blame the women.

> Alden B. Gannon, a.k.a. Zarathustra. INTERNET: gannon%mdi.com@uunet.uu.net

  Sharon Lindsey O'Neil  	  "I could be happy/I could be quite naive/
  Bitnet: oneil@unomai1		   It's only me and my shadow/Happy in our
  Internet: oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu 	make believe/Soon." -- Tears for Fears

gazit@cs.duke.EDU (Hillel Gazit) (06/01/91)

In article <MUFFY.91May29145633@remarque.berkeley.edu> muffy@remarque.berkeley.edu (Muffy Barkocy) writes:
>So, to carry this line of argument further - it is obviously better to
>not work (= not be in combat positions) than it is to go out and deal
>with the stress of working (= be in combat positions).

The issue is that it is better not to work then to work as a slave.

Somehow, the feminists who try (and sometimes succeed) to give women
more opportunities in the army have very little to say/do/change about
the men-only registration for draft.

tittle@alexandre-dumas.ICS.UCI.EDU (Cindy Tittle Moore) (06/01/91)

In <1991May29.182720.349@MDI.COM> gannon@MDI.COM (Alden Gannon) writes:
>If men hold the power, where did I get my six points?  Why is it in the
>interests of men to create AA, or sexist abuse laws?  Men do *not* hold
>sovereignty (in the Rouseauian sense).  It is held by powerful voting
>constituencies; one of which is NOW.

Let me make a minor point here.  I have never seen men stop themselves
from oppressing men.  In the last point you made, actual beating up of
gay men is done by men in probably 99% of the cases (I am *not*
dismissing the impact of female homophobia) -- when is the last time
you heard about a gang of women beating a suspected homosexual up?

My question then becomes, how do you attribute the causes behind your
six points TO WOMEN?  Or, more accurately, only to women?  Why is it
that the idea of men holding power means to you that *no* men will
suffer?  (Is it because you think that no women will suffer if women
hold power?)

--Cindy

In article <9105311127.aa07895@ics.uci.edu> tittle@alexandre-dumas.ICS.UCI.EDU (Cindy Tittle Moore) writes:
>Let me make a minor point here.  I have never seen men stop themselves
>from oppressing men.  In the last point you made, actual beating up of
>gay men is done by men in probably 99% of the cases (I am *not*
>dismissing the impact of female homophobia) -- when is the last time
>you heard about a gang of women beating a suspected homosexual up?

The point is different.

Gang members tend to be more hostile and violent when their
girlfriends are around.  Being oppressive toward other men
is a good way to give the girlfriends what they want.

gannon@MDI.COM (Alden Gannon) (06/01/91)

In article <9105311127.aa07895@ics.uci.edu> tittle@alexandre-dumas.ICS.UCI.EDU (Cindy Tittle Moore) writes:
>In <1991May29.182720.349@MDI.COM> gannon@MDI.COM (Alden Gannon) writes:
>>If men hold the power, where did I get my six points?  Why is it in the
>>interests of men to create AA, or sexist abuse laws?  Men do *not* hold
>>sovereignty (in the Rouseauian sense).  It is held by powerful voting
>>constituencies; one of which is NOW.
>
>My question then becomes, how do you attribute the causes behind your
>six points TO WOMEN?  Or, more accurately, only to women?  Why is it
>that the idea of men holding power means to you that *no* men will
>suffer?  (Is it because you think that no women will suffer if women
>hold power?)

Cindy did not read my post carefully.  Let me quote some relevant lines
from it:

"Based on my experiences, and those of many other men, men do not feel
oppressed by women per se."

"Any time you vote for someone who favors free choice for women and
*no* choice for men, you are contributing to the oppression of men, whether
you are a man or a woman."
          ^^^

I do *not* attribute the causes behind my six points to women.  I attribute
them to voters, many of which are homophobic, and see nothing wrong with
beating up gay men.  How do you think we got Jesse Helms in office?

Men do not hold power.  Women do not hold power.  Large groups of people
with similar opinions hold power.  Since 53% of the voters are women,
women have more potential for holding power than men.

According to Kokee Roberts' analysis on NPR's Morning Edition on May 30,
the ongoing debate on the Civil Rights Bill in the U.S. Congress is a
good example.  Democrats are trying to rally enough support to overturn
Bush's veto on the "Damages awarded to women in sex discrimination"
issue.  Kokee says that the opposition is falling apart because Democrats
are not receiving enough support from their constituents (Kokee went so
far as to say "from women") to justify the battle.  Dismayed democrats
were concluding that women just didn't care about discrimination, anymore.
So when Bush's veto is sustained, don't go blaming the white male
power structure.  Instead, WRITE YOUR CONGRESSPERSON!
Alden B. Gannon, the Chaste.         INTERNET: gannon%mdi.com@uunet.uu.net
"Become who you are!" - F. Nietzsche.  USENET: ..uunet!mdi.com!gannon

jcarson@june.cs.washington.edu (Janet L. Carson) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May29.182720.349@MDI.COM> gannon@MDI.COM (Alden Gannon) writes:

>Based on my experiences, and those of many other men, men do not feel
>oppressed by women per se.  In fact, oppression is prehaps too strong a term.
>Men feel *disadvantaged* in at least the following areas in society:

[List appears below]

>I challenge Sharon to produce a list of ways women feel oppressed and show
>how alleviating that oppression will also address the above six points.

Well, I'm not Sharon, and I *hate* it when men post some blah-de-blah
about men's oppression and "challenge the feminists to refute it"
because it always seems to lead to flame wars, but thinking about this
one led to some food for thought I'd like to share...

For each example of men's opression cited, there is a social norm to
which women are oppressed to conform, sometimes more strongly and
sometimes less strongly, depending on the situation, which is the
"other side of the coin," so to speak.

>1.  The draft (this one is more like oppression).

Women showing strength and agression are seen as "unfeminine" at best,
and dangerous/insane at worst.  Women who might otherwise exhibit such
behavior more often are oppressed by social stigma.

By changing the view of what types of behavior women can/should
exhibit, violent, agressive behavior by women will be seen as
possible, even normal in certain circumstances, and in fact, this type
of behavior can be *demanded* by the state in times of dire need.  As
long as society perceives women as incapable of doing the dirty work
of military service, it perceives men as the only ones worth drafting.

>2.  Parental choice (Women have it, men don't).

Actually, my response to this one is going in the opposite direction:
The current trend it to *take away* women's parental choice as much as
possible (e.g. recent supreme court decision, half a dozen states
considering anti-abortion laws to challenge Roe v. Wade, etc.)
Although the law says one thing (women have choice), social norms
still say the opposite (abortion is wrong, or at least of questionable
morality).

Society tries to enforce gender-based responsibilities w.r.t.
pregnancy.  As long as society feels that childbirth is of primary
importance, regardless of the situations of the parents, this will
continue.  When society begins to *really* accept the idea that
parenthood should be a free choice, not something that must be
enforced by the state for "society's own good", I think parental
choice will be the norm for both men and women.  Working towards
freely accepting choice for women will make the opportunity for men to
have choice possible: i.e. as long as women "have no choice" (and that
is what child support seems to assume), why should society consider
giving such choice to men?

["Choice for men" meaning a male has some sort of opportunity to
legally absolve himself of the financial and moral responsibilities of
parenthood during the same period that the woman could choose "no" and
have an abortion.  I'm not sure what exact form this would take.
Also, I cannot envision the time when a man can choose "yes" over the
objections of a woman choosing "no", because it is too great of an
invasion of individual privacy and freedom to force a woman to have a
child against her will.  But, perhaps someday babies can be grown in
incubators for these men?  Or it will be possible for them to hire
surrogate mothers who freely choose this occupation without being
coerced by economic desperation? I don't know.]

>3.  Alimony, child support, and custody.

Alimony and child support: are based on the male gender-role that they
are the only ones capable of dealing with business, are more rational,
are capable of hard work, etc.  Women are oppressed by this
gender-role when they are turned down for jobs which would "take them
away from their families" (even when they don't have children!) or
when female-dominated occupations are paid "pin-money" wages, while
male-dominated occupations are paid "family" wages.

Custody: based on the female gender-role that they are better able to
understand children's emotional needs and be more nurturning, etc.
These laws are simply ways of enforcing these roles.

Once again, by changing the gender roles, society will perceive men as
potential nurturers, and women as potential breadwinnders.  By
fighting the female-gender-stereotypes (and I freely admit many
branches of feminism *don't* fight the women-as-nurturers stereotype),
society will begin to rethink these laws.  Society only sees what it
wants to see: if it doesn't want to think that non-conformists exist,
they won't be reflected in the law.

>4.  Rape and domestic abuse law.

The law comes from the gender-roles of women-as-weak and
men-as-powerful, sometimes too powerful.  When the roles expand so
that men can be seen as sometimes vulnerable, and women as sometimes
too strong, as well, then the laws can be reconsidered and
legislatures can talk about women raping men.  Once again, due to
gender-roles which oppress both men and women, society only sees what
it wants to.

>5.  Affirmative Action for only women and minorities.

Like abortion, affirmative action is not something that is fully
accepted by society.  It's an attempt (like abortion law) to foster
change of roles.  i.e. to force people to reconsider the ideas of what
jobs are "appropriate" or "permissible" for women or minorities.  When
a woman uses AA to become a soldier (fighting the stereotype of being
weak and non-agressive), or a black person uses AA to become a police
officer (fighting the stereotype of blacks as criminals) -- this leads
to fighting stereotypes, and can put these people in a
less-than-bright spot in society.  This is at least partly responsible
for the controversy surrounding AA.

Another problem is that AA, as a law, must be enforced equally
throughout the land: in companies which are blatantly discriminatory
and companies which are trying their best to be fair, but feel
threatened by the possibilities of lawsuits.  If there were a way to
write the law to force change the discriminatory company without
threatening the non-discriminatory one, I would support it.  I believe
that our lawmakers have tried their best in this regard.  On the other
hand, I cannot support totally abolishing AA until the discriminatory
companies have been forced to truly change.

Eventually, AA will outlive its usefulness.  This will happen when
there is no gender-based and ethnic-based discrimination.  Feminism
and civil rights movements are clearly trying to end such
discrimination.

>6.  Hate crimes against gay men (this one *is* oppression).

Lesbians are also harassed in society.  This is an example of society,
if not the government, violently enforcing gender-roles.  By working
to loosen gender-based restrictions and permit a greater variety of
behaviors by men and women, feminists, gay rights groups, etc. are
trying to combat hate crimes.

>If men hold the power, where did I get my six points?

While I *do* believe that men hold power (because society-enforced
gender-roles have kept women from this power), I *don't* believe that
the gender-roles which underlie your 6 points were created solely by
men.

Most examples "men's oppression" (in quotes because I, too, believe
oppression is sometimes too strong a word) are the flip side of
"women's oppression" -- which is another way of saying "enforced
gender roles cut both ways."  As long as certain roles (e.g. being a
tough soldier, a primary breadwinner, etc.) are *denied* to women,
society must *force* these roles upon the men, by default -- and vice
versa, of course.  When feminism works to expand roles for women, and
thereby change the notions of gender roles, men benefit because they
are no longer forced to do everything that women weren't allowed to
do.  Similarly for certain men's movements changing notions of
masculinity allowing women to escape from roles they were forced into
because men weren't allowed into certain territories.

[I say "certain men's movements" because there are a lot of men's
movements, just as there are a lot of women's movements: I'm thinking
here of movements to *change* gender roles, not movements to
*reinforce* traditions and let men who are being 'emasculated' by
current changes "be men again".  While the term "feminist" does not
encompass reactionary women such as Right to Lifer's, I don't know of
a term which distinguishes progressive men's movements from regressive
ones.]

Sorry this was so long...

--Janet

--
Janet L. Carson
jcarson@cs.washington.edu

gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) (06/01/91)

In article <1991Jun1.034124.8157@beaver.cs.washington.edu>
jcarson@june.cs.washington.edu (Janet L. Carson) writes:

>versa, of course.  When feminism works to expand roles for women, and
>thereby change the notions of gender roles, men benefit because they
>are no longer forced to do everything that women weren't allowed to do.

This is a nice theory, but the data just doesn't support it.

In Carter's time there was choice for women in all the states, affirmative
action was enforced and state-ERA was passed in several states.  After
three years Carter renewed the men-only registration for draft.  NOW had
nothing to say about that because it did not care about men.

I have heard feminists' demands for a crack down on fathers who don't pay
child's support, no matter why they don't pay.  The fact the women have
had a choice for abortion the last 17 years makes no difference for
feminist organizations.  They also want the choice to take the father
to the cleaners, if they feel like that.

We hear from the same feminists a demand for affirmative action and a
demand for priority in child custody; they really feel that *women*
should "have it all."

As long as feminist organizations will be able to get what they want,
I don't think that they will support men's rights.  In a situation
like today, when they lose the fight for the "Civil Right Acts", they
may express "deep concern" as a way to get more men's support, but I
don't think that they have any intention to give up any of women's
extra rights.

>Janet L. Carson

Hillel                                             gazit@cs.duke.edu

"The continuation of earnings gap between men and women, the decimation of
affirmative action in order to protect white men from `reverse discrimination',
the rise of male victories in child custody cases - all of these attest to the
need for a way to galvanize women's opposition and women's power in the 1980s."
            --  ("Caught Looking", Kate Ellis, Barbara O'Dair & Abby Tallmer)

DOCTORJ@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Jon J Thaler) (06/04/91)

In article <1991May29.182720.349@MDI.COM>, gannon@MDI.COM (Alden Gannon) says:
>Based on my experiences, and those of many other men, men do not feel
>oppressed by women per se.  In fact, oppression is prehaps too strong a term.
>Men feel *disadvantaged* in at least the following areas in society:
>
>1.  The draft (this one is more like oppression).
>2.  Parental choice (Women have it, men don't).
>3.  Alimony, child support, and custody.
>4.  Rape and domestic abuse law.
>5.  Affirmative Action for only women and minorities.
>6.  Hate crimes against gay men (this one *is* oppression).

  [...stuff deleted...]

>If men hold the power, where did I get my six points?  Why is it in the
>interests of men to create AA, or sexist abuse laws?  Men do *not* hold
>sovereignty (in the Rouseauian sense).  It is held by powerful voting
>constituencies; one of which is NOW.

I think that the issue is more complicated than this.  For example, the
all-male draft is not seen by all men as oppressing men.  Many see the
opportunity to defend our country as a privilege and a duty -- one that
the presence of women in combat would make more difficult.
Similarly, not all men see AA as oppressing them.  They are willing
to give up something for the goal of equality (I'm not arguing here
whether AA is the right answer...just how it's perceived by some.)
Also, I think that it is easily demonstrable that the alimony,
child support, and custody laws predate the existence of NOW or any
other effective "women's" lobby.  They date from a time when women
were not supposed to be out working.

I'd be surprised if any supporter of women's and minority rights doesn't
oppose the poor treatment of gay men (and women, too).  But, again, some
of the most homophobic people around are men; you don't need NOW or any
other constituency to explain point 6.

sethg@athena.mit.edu (Seth A. Gordon) (06/04/91)

In article <675774990@lear.cs.duke.edu>
 gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) writes:
>...After
>three years Carter renewed the men-only registration for draft.  NOW had
>nothing to say about that because it did not care about men.

False.  NOW sued the Army in an attempt to make the draft co-ed --
arguing that being drafted was a Great Duty of American Citizenship, or
some such, and that it was demeaning for women to be excluded.

Source: the anthology _Women and Men's Wars,_ edited by Cynthia Enloe.

I can't stand intolerance.
: bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!sethg / standard disclaimer
: Seth Gordon / MIT Brnch., PO Box 53, Cambridge, MA 02139

gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) (06/04/91)

In article <91151.135451DOCTORJ@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU> DOCTORJ@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Jon J Thaler) writes:

>For example, the all-male draft is not seen by all men as oppressing men.

And the traditional "deal" for women is not seen by all women as
oppressing women, the anti-ERA women for example.

>Also, I think that it is easily demonstrable that the alimony,
>child support, and custody laws predate the existence of NOW or any
>other effective "women's" lobby.  They date from a time when women
>were not supposed to be out working.

Thanks for telling us that the federal mandatory child's support guideline
pre-dated NOW, I hope that you know when NOW was founded BTW...

Anyway, if feminism was a real equal rights movement then it would look for
ways for *equal* rights, not for excuses like "it happened before I came."

twain@milton.u.washington.EDU (Barbara Hlavin) (06/04/91)

In article <675774990@lear.cs.duke.edu> gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) writes:

>I have heard feminists' demands for a crack down on fathers who don't pay
>child's support, no matter why they don't pay.

And I have heard demands from the populace at large for a crack down
on those who kill -- whether the cause of death can be argued to be a
matter of self-defense, involuntary homocide, negligent homocide,
manslaughter, or murder for profit or revenge.

That's the nature of the legal system.  You investigate the merits of
the argument for the deviation from the existing law by examining
the particulars of the case.

You don't think the law is fair, Hillel?  Then what are you doing
to change it?

You're always quick to challenge those who complain or criticize
the status quo by asking what they're doing to make things better.
What are *you* willing to do?  --Aside from criticizing everyone
else, of course.

--Barbara

--
Barbara Hlavin			Mr Speaker, I smell a rat; I see him forming
twain@milton.u.washington.edu	in the air and darkening the sky; but I'll

In article <15651.2846517e@zeus.unomaha.edu> (Truth or Dare?) writes:

#	Hillel points out that President Carter pushed a male registration
#	in the seventies.  Yes, quite true, Hillel.  I remember that.  I also
#	remember that there was some debate as to whether women would be
#	included and I think that the reason Carter ended up pushing the male
#	registration is because he knew that a male/female registration would
#	never pass through Congress.  He wanted a registration and he took
#	what he could get.

NOW that talks so much about equal rights had nothing to say about that.

#	Alden -- why aren't women going to be drafted anytime soon?  I'll
#	tell you why.  I think that we are in quite a conservative backlash
#	in this country, for one thing.

The conservative backlash is, in *my* opinion, a result of a strong
disappointment.  The promised liberal paradise did not come, and people
are tired of all the excuses.

gazit@cs.duke.EDU (Hillel Gazit) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.224400.897@milton.u.washington.edu>
twain@milton.u.washington.EDU (Barbara Hlavin) writes:
>You don't think the law is fair, Hillel?  Then what are you doing
>to change it?

I don't think that "big changes" can come right now.  Opportunities
to make a *change* are quite rare, and the last one was in the
Vietnam war time.

For time being I point out problems I see and talk about possible
solutions.  The idea is to prepare the tools/ideas/goals for a
real equal rights movement, and to wait for the next opportunity
to come.

*IF* you have a better way, I'm willing to listen.

ben@cs.warwick.ac.UK (Ben Dessau) (06/04/91)

gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) writes:

>I have heard feminists' demands for a crack down on fathers who don't
>pay child's support, no matter why they don't pay.  The fact the women
>have had a choice for abortion the last 17 years makes no difference
>for feminist organizations.  They also want the choice to take the
>father to the cleaners, if they feel like that.

	How can you say, Hillel, that a woman would have a *choice* of
whether to have an abortion or not, in your senario of men being
relieved of their financial obligations if he wanted an abortion and
she didn't. The woman's *choice* comes down to: have an abortion or
keep the child and suffer major financial problems for a long time. In
the UK single mothers have the choice of leaving their child with
child - minders / creche, (which a lot of women don't want to do) or
live on government benefits which are  pitifully small.
	This seems to remove the *choice* aspect completely.
-Ben
 Q: "What do you say to people who      | Ben Dessau cs/res/ben Postgrad
 accuse you of blatant electioneering?" | ben@cs.warwick.ac.uk
 A: "VOTE FOR ME!!!"                    | +44 203 523523 ex 2368

gannon@MDI.COM (Alden Gannon) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun1.034124.8157@beaver.cs.washington.edu> jcarson@june.cs.washington.edu (Janet L. Carson) writes:
>In article <1991May29.182720.349@MDI.COM> gannon@MDI.COM (Alden Gannon) writes:

[I answered this article once already, and my machine crashed just as
I submitted the respose.  Since I didn't have a .article copy, I fear it
is in the bit bucket.  My apologies if these ideas appear twice]

>Well, I'm not Sharon, and I *hate* it when men post some blah-de-blah
>about men's oppression and "challenge the feminists to refute it"
>because it always seems to lead to flame wars, but thinking about this
>one led to some food for thought I'd like to share...

I challenged Sharon because I respect her opinion as a lucid supporter
of women's issues.  I neither partake in nor take responsibility for
flame wars.  Indeed, I found this article to be one of the most
insightful contributions made to this group in several weeks, with the
exception of the above paragraph.

>For each example of men's opression cited, there is a social norm to
>which women are oppressed to conform, sometimes more strongly and
>sometimes less strongly, depending on the situation, which is the
>"other side of the coin," so to speak.

Granted.

>>1.  The draft (this one is more like oppression).
>
>Women showing strength and agression are seen as "unfeminine" at best,
>and dangerous/insane at worst.  Women who might otherwise exhibit such
>behavior more often are oppressed by social stigma.
>
>By changing the view of what types of behavior women can/should
>exhibit, violent, agressive behavior by women will be seen as
>possible, even normal in certain circumstances, and in fact, this type
>of behavior can be *demanded* by the state in times of dire need.  As
>long as society perceives women as incapable of doing the dirty work
>of military service, it perceives men as the only ones worth drafting.

Quite true.  How do you propose to overcome these "social stigma?"

>>2.  Parental choice (Women have it, men don't).
>
>Actually, my response to this one is going in the opposite direction:
>The current trend it to *take away* women's parental choice as much as
>possible (e.g. recent supreme court decision, half a dozen states
>considering anti-abortion laws to challenge Roe v. Wade, etc.)
>Although the law says one thing (women have choice), social norms
>still say the opposite (abortion is wrong, or at least of questionable
>morality).

More precisely, I contend that our society supports a notion referred
to as "family values."  Tax law encourages marriage, child support and
alimony punish the divorced.  It is not just abortion that is scorned;
abandoning children is just as, if not more so, taboo.  I agree that
the systemmatic erosion of Roe v. Wade is very alarming.  I support
strengthening Roe v. Wade and adding companion legislation for men.

>Working towards
>freely accepting choice for women will make the opportunity for men to
>have choice possible: i.e. as long as women "have no choice" (and that
>is what child support seems to assume), why should society consider
>giving such choice to men?

I'm not sure I understand this.  How does the existence of child
support preclude the existence of choice for men?

>["Choice for men" meaning a male has some sort of opportunity to
>legally absolve himself of the financial and moral responsibilities of
>parenthood during the same period that the woman could choose "no" and
>have an abortion.  I'm not sure what exact form this would take.

The proposal I have supported works like this.  When a woman receives
a positive result on a pregnancy test, the medical examiner will be
required to inform the woman of her obligation of making a legal
disclosure of the pregnancy to the father.  This disclosure requires the
signatures of both parties and a legal representative.  At anytime within
30 days of disclosure, the father may legally waive his rights and
responsibilities of fatherhood with the signatures of the same 2 other
parties.

>Also, I cannot envision the time when a man can choose "yes" over the
>objections of a woman choosing "no", because it is too great of an
>invasion of individual privacy and freedom to force a woman to have a
>child against her will.  But, perhaps someday babies can be grown in
>incubators for these men?  Or it will be possible for them to hire
>surrogate mothers who freely choose this occupation without being
>coerced by economic desperation? I don't know.]

No, the father should not be allowed to choose "yes" over the objections
of a woman choosing "no."

>Once again, by changing the gender roles, society will perceive men as
>potential nurturers, and women as potential breadwinnders.  By
>fighting the female-gender-stereotypes (and I freely admit many
>branches of feminism *don't* fight the women-as-nurturers stereotype),
>society will begin to rethink these laws.  Society only sees what it
>wants to see: if it doesn't want to think that non-conformists exist,
>they won't be reflected in the law.

It does not necessarily follow that feminisim, by breaking the barriers
of gender roles for women, is providing a corresponding service to men.
The crux of my argument is that women have *legal* support in their
quest for equality, while the men's movement has rallied few, if any,
legal advocates.  Men who wish to become nurses have no AA to support
them.  Men who do not wish to assume parenthood have no legal
recourse.  In general, straight women and some minorities enjoy several
advantages not shared by gays, lesbians, Asians, and straight white men.

>>4.  Rape and domestic abuse law.
>
>The law comes from the gender-roles of women-as-weak and
>men-as-powerful, sometimes too powerful.  When the roles expand so
>that men can be seen as sometimes vulnerable, and women as sometimes
>too strong, as well, then the laws can be reconsidered and
>legislatures can talk about women raping men.  Once again, due to
>gender-roles which oppress both men and women, society only sees what
>it wants to.

Quite correct.  Again, how do you propose to alter these gender roles?

>>5.  Affirmative Action for only women and minorities.
>
>Eventually, AA will outlive its usefulness.  This will happen when
>there is no gender-based and ethnic-based discrimination.  Feminism
>and civil rights movements are clearly trying to end such
>discrimination.

I contend that AA will *never* outlive its usefulness.  A good study has
shown that hiring agents tend to hire and promote people of the same
race and gender as the hiring agent.  White men hire white men and black
women hire black women.  This indicates that discrimination is not *male*
nature, it is *human* nature.  I propose extending AA to cover white males
as well as other disadvantaged groups.

>While I *do* believe that men hold power (because society-enforced
>gender-roles have kept women from this power), I *don't* believe that
>the gender-roles which underlie your 6 points were created solely by
>men.

This may be our only real disagreement.  It is true that men hold a
disproportionately large number of legislative, judicial, and
corporate offices, most of which are elected positions.  They have
achieved these positions within the dictates of gender roles supported
by both men and women (if women did not accept these gender roles, our
government would be dominated by women).  As you most astutely point out,
it is the gender roles *themselves* that hold the power, and dictate
the lives of men as well as women.

>[I say "certain men's movements" because there are a lot of men's
>movements, just as there are a lot of women's movements: I'm thinking
>here of movements to *change* gender roles, not movements to
>*reinforce* traditions and let men who are being 'emasculated' by
>current changes "be men again".  While the term "feminist" does not
>encompass reactionary women such as Right to Lifer's, I don't know of
>a term which distinguishes progressive men's movements from regressive
>ones.]

Neither do I, but I'm also unfamiliar with this regressive men's movement
of which you speak.

gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.152009.1931@cs.warwick.ac.uk> (Ben Dessau) writes:
>	How can you say, Hillel, that a woman would have a *choice* of
>whether to have an abortion or not, in your senario of men being
>relieved of their financial obligations if he wanted an abortion and
>she didn't. The woman's *choice* comes down to: have an abortion or
>keep the child and suffer major financial problems for a long time.

1) She has one more choice - giving up the child for adoption.

2) It seems to you unfair that the women will "suffer major financial
   problems for a long time" because of her decision not to abort, but
   I've not heard you (feminists) complain because the *man* "suffers
   major financial problems for a long time" because of *her* decision.

   Somehow, expecting a woman to pay, like a man, the price
   for her choices is so un-feminine and un-feminist.

oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu (Truth or Dare?) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun1.034124.8157@beaver.cs.washington.edu>, jcarson@june.cs.washington.edu (Janet L. Carson) writes:

[Janet Carson writes in response to Alden's sixth point about men's
disadvantage in society -- that gay men are harassed.]

> Lesbians are also harassed in society.  This is an example of society,
> if not the government, violently enforcing gender-roles.  By working
> to loosen gender-based restrictions and permit a greater variety of
> behaviors by men and women, feminists, gay rights groups, etc. are
> trying to combat hate crimes.

	I'd also point out that I think that gay men get a lot more acceptance
	in this society than lesbians do.  This is probably because as a group,
	gay men are typically affluent, whereas lesbians are not.  Gay men are
	in a better position to "publicize" themselves in a positive light.
	Let's take television for an example, since television seems to
	influence -- if not /mold/ -- the opinions of many Americans.  It's
	quite the fashionable thing on television to have a gay male character.
	Even soap operas (As the World Turns) have had positive gay male
	characters.  But how many lesbian characters are there on television?
	Northern Exposure has had a gay male couple on the show, but has only
	mentioned lesbians.  CJ on L.A. Law is the only recurring bisexual
	female character.  L.A. Law's writers didn't feel comfortable making
	C.J. a lesbian.  (Although male and female bisexuals are probably among
	the most discriminated against in the Gay World, especially if they
	are out.)  It seems pretty obvious to me that the US public is not
	comfortable with gays but that it is a lot more comfortable with gay
	males than lesbians.

>> Alden writes: If men hold the power, where did I get my six points?
>
> While I *do* believe that men hold power (because society-enforced
> gender-roles have kept women from this power), I *don't* believe that
> the gender-roles which underlie your 6 points were created solely by
> men.

	I agree.  I believe that men hold the power for the same reason
	that Janet does.  However, this doesn't mean that ALL THE MEN hold
	all the power over ALL THE WOMEN.  Let's not speak in absolutes here.

> Similarly for certain men's movements changing notions of
> masculinity allowing women to escape from roles they were forced into
> because men weren't allowed into certain territories.

	Do we have any men from the more progressive men's movements around
	here on soc.women?  I'd be interested in hearing from these men --
	how do progressive men feel about these "six points" of Alden's?
	Are there men who feel that they have actually benefitted from
	feminism?

tittle@zola.ICS.UCI.EDU (Cindy Tittle Moore) (06/05/91)

In <675774990@lear.cs.duke.edu> gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) writes:

>In article <1991Jun1.034124.8157@beaver.cs.washington.edu>
>jcarson@june.cs.washington.edu (Janet L. Carson) writes:

>>versa, of course.  When feminism works to expand roles for women, and
>>thereby change the notions of gender roles, men benefit because they
>>are no longer forced to do everything that women weren't allowed to do.

>This is a nice theory, but the data just doesn't support it.

>In Carter's time there was choice for women in all the states, affirmative
>action was enforced and state-ERA was passed in several states.  After
>three years Carter renewed the men-only registration for draft.

Let me see if I understand this.

Janet says that when feminism expands roles for women, that helps men
in the sense that they are no longer forced to do what women couldn't
do before.

You then say that women had "choice" (which you don't clarify,
abortion rights?), that there was AA and state-level ERA's in Carter's
time, but he went ahead with the men only draft.  But this confuses me
because it doesn't address Janet's argument.

In Carter's time, indeed in all of American history, women have been
prohibited from combat roles if not from the military entirely.  How
can you institute an all-person draft if all of your draftees are not
potentially eligible for combat?  So you still haven't refuted Janet's
argument.  Women don't yet have combat roles in the military, so the
discrimination that men face in the military stands.  If women are
allowed into combat positions *and* the men-only draft registration is
*not* scrapped, then this would be a valid example to counter Janet's
argument.  But we have to wait and see what happens on that one, as
women are not yet allowed combat positions.

I think there are better examples to try and argue Janet's point.  I
would have pointed out, for example, that the expansion of women into
the work force has not resulted in men being freed from the pressure
or expectation to always be the breadwinner.  Or that women's
abilities to wear men's clothing has not translated into men being
able to wear what they want.  Women's expansion into traditionally
male professions (such as doctors, lawyers, etc) has not made it
easier for men to go into traditionally female professions.  Women's
expansion into taking on masculine characteristics has not made it
easier for men to display feminine characteristics.

>NOW had
>nothing to say about that because it did not care about men.

(Please note that I do not necessarily support NOW's positions, or
even that I know what all the positions are for certain.)

As for NOW, it would make no sense for it to attack a male-only draft
registration (because there are no or few women clamoring for a draft
to include them).  It would make every sense for it to attack the
refusal to allow women into combat roles in the military (because there
are women clamoring to get into those roles) -- as it indeed has.  I
bet that if there were a women+men draft registration, NOW would work
to end the draft registration.

NOW is an advocacy group for women; it seems silly to expect it to go
after male concerns.  And, for women, the draft is not (yet) a
concern.  Any "good" lobby listens to the concerns of its
constituents.  I think you should just say that you disagree with NOW
instead of expecting it to listen to other groups.  That sounds like
arguing that the Jewish Anti-Defamation League should listen to the
concerns of non-Jewish people ("You point out all the instances where
Jews are discriminated, well how about BLACKS or HOMOSEXUALS??  What
kind of organization is this that looks only at JEWS, huh?")...

--Cindy

--
``Gender is a category that will not go away.  As Goffman put it:
`it is one of the most deeply seated traits of man.' ''

In article <1991Jun3.223435.27185@athena.mit.edu> sethg@athena.mit.edu (Seth A. Gordon) writes:

>False.  NOW sued the Army in an attempt to make the draft co-ed --
>arguing that being drafted was a Great Duty of American Citizenship, or
>some such, and that it was demeaning for women to be excluded.

>Source: the anthology _Women and Men's Wars,_ edited by Cynthia Enloe.

1) Are you sure that *NOW* sued the *Army*?  (The registration for
   draft is not done by the army, you know...)

2) Did they sue before the 1980 election, when they could hurt Carter
   chances, or after the election when it made no difference anymore?

3) Was there any *political* pressure against Carter because of his
   decision?  (Weak presidents are very vulnerable before the election.)

DOCTORJ@slacvm.slac.stanford.EDU (Jon J Thaler) (06/05/91)

In article <675992114@lime.cs.duke.edu>, gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) says:

>Thanks for telling us that the federal mandatory child's support guideline
>pre-dated NOW, I hope that you know when NOW was founded BTW...

No, I don't know when NOW was founded.  But I bet it wasn't in the
nineteenth century.

gannon@MDI.COM (Alden Gannon) (06/05/91)

In article <15651.2846517e@zeus.unomaha.edu> oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu (Truth or Dare?) writes:

[Muffy bitches and moans about women not being drafted]
[I bitch and moan about men being drafted]

>	If you have a problem with the way that
>	current draft policy is set, then you really should call your
>	congressman or state representative and make your feelings known.

Hear hear!

>	Alden -- why aren't women going to be drafted anytime soon?  I'll
>	tell you why.  I think that we are in quite a conservative backlash
>	in this country, for one thing.  And I think that our society has a
>	view of women that is much too patronizing and protective.  I agree
>	with you that a Male Draft isn't fair.  I just don't think you're
>	putting the blame for the situation on the right people.  Blame the
>	politicians.  Don't blame the women.

Insightful and almost exactly correct.  Women do *not* deserve blame
for any of my now infamous 6 points, including the draft, but neither
would I place blame on the politicians.  Those offended by aimless
ranting and raving please skip the following paragraph.

<Flame on>

Who's responsible?  The morons who voted for a President that
appointed Supreme Court justices that have systematically eroded Roe
v. Wade.  The morons who voted for a state senator who supports
censorship and restriction of the NEA.  The morons who voted for a
President who thinks the greatest social issue in this country is flag
burning. The problem with this country is that the electorate is very
uncomfortable with the act of thinking, but very receptive to a 1
minute sound bite.

<Flame off>

rivero@dev8a.mdcbbs.com (06/07/91)

In article <676012995@lear.cs.duke.edu>, gazit@cs.duke.EDU (Hillel Gazit) writes:

> For time being I point out problems I see and talk about possible
> solutions.  The idea is to prepare the tools/ideas/goals for a
> real equal rights movement, and to wait for the next opportunity
> to come.

Sounds like a cop-out to me. In Vietnam (your example) nobody "gave"
anyone the opportunity to make change. There were enough people with the
courage to get off of their duffs to MAKE it happen!

Talk is cheap. The price of action is much greater. But actions are
what shape the world.

It may serve a purpose to "point out problems I see", but there are
already too many umpires. We need more people to actually carry the
damn ball down the field!

\\\\    Michael Rivero      | "I drank WHAT!" | "I favor population      |
\ (.    rivero@dev8a.mdcbbs | Socrates  -------------------  control, as |
   )>   DISCLAIMER:::       |-----------|Anyone who does  | long as it's |
  ==    "Hey man, I wasn't  |Looking4luv|not get 8 hugs a | with someone |
---/    even here then!"    |Settle4sex!|day is in trouble| else's kids!"|
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------------------+++++++++++++++

gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun5.141436.1@dev8a.mdcbbs.com> writes:

>Sounds like a cop-out to me. In Vietnam (your example) nobody "gave"
>anyone the opportunity to make change. There were enough people with the
>courage to get off of their duffs to MAKE it happen!

In the Vietnam war the Military-Industrial-Complex made many mistakes,
gave promises it could not keep and was in a desperate need to save
its ass.  It's pretty easy to win against an opponent that just tries
to survive, if you just don't make too many mistakes.

Compare the Vietnam era demonstrators to the demonstrators we saw
on TV six months ago.  They were *fully* prepared to the previous
war with their predictions about "20,000 dead" and how California
would become black if the Kuwaiti oil fields would burn.

Some people don't realize that methods that can work when you go down
the hill with a back wind don't work too well in different conditions...

E.g the feminists who got, in Congress, 90% support for the ERA in
the early 70's, but lost the fight in the early 80's have never
understood this simple rule, but the rule still exists.

>Talk is cheap. The price of action is much greater. But actions are
>what shape the world.

The CO of the last war pay a similar price to the CO
of the Vietnam war, but they make no real difference...

>It may serve a purpose to "point out problems I see", but there are
>already too many umpires. We need more people to actually carry the
>damn ball down the field!

If you carry the ball in the opposite way then you might feel that you
"do something," and be very happy about yourself, but somewhere down
the road you are going to lose, big.

>\\\\    Michael Rivero      | "I drank WHAT!" | "I favor population      |

Hillel                                        gazit@cs.duke.edu

"Not just effort need to be expended. The right effort need to be expended."
                                                   -- d'baba Duane M. Hentrich