[soc.feminism] Rape on bicycle path

n9020351@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (James D. Del Vecchio) (06/07/91)

[This has wandered in as a cross post between rec.guns and talk.rape.
It may be of interest.  --CTM]

osan@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (andrew.vida-szucs) writes:

Re:
Andy Freeman on the uselessness of CS mace and air horns against grown men.

>	Generally, I give them no choice but to cooperate.  BTW I got
>	blasted with one of those 'made to sell, not to be effective; devices
>	about 2 weeks ago.  It was nowhere near my ears and still I thought
>	I would shit.  I found it painful.  I don't think too many muggers
>	would not be at least momentarily stunned by a shot 6 inches from their
>	ear.  In that moment you run, stab the bastard, shoot him, take his
>	eyes or whatever.  All you need is that momentary lapse in his
>	concentration and the wherewithall to take proper advantage of it.

  The "anti-rape" techniques I've seen in some self protection books
are foolish and useless.  Noteable among these are the "eye myth" and
the "go for the crotch" myth.  As these are the most basic ideas, and
the first to occur to anyone, they are what the Rapist would never let
happen.  He will be on his gaurd for such attempts, and will disarm
them without a thought.  Also high on the stupid list, are plans to
defend oneself by stabbing with a hatpin, sharp umbrella or knife.
Even with a knife, it takes much skill to use effectively.  Knives
wounds are not stopping wounds, they are slow wounds.  A perp with a
lethal knife wound will linger for minuntes or hours, still able
continue his attack.
  The Rapist/mugger is likely a street fighter, and innured to pain.
Such a person is not likely to be disauded by the same things that
would stop you.  A man who has been through perhaps many severe
beatings is not going to be afraid of honking horns and sprays.
Dedicated criminals have bought their own mace and "stun shockers"
etc. to use on themselves and acclimate themselves to them.
  Also foolish is the idea that lessons in Judo, boxing, Karate etc.
will make a small woman a match for a large determined man.  It just
isn't so.

  Ironicly, the book I just saw yesterday reccomended that women _not_
carry the one self defense tool that has any chance of making a small
weak woman safe from an attacker: The handgun.

Go figure.

Jim Del Vecchio

tittle@glacier.ICS.UCI.EDU (Cindy Tittle Moore) (06/07/91)

This topic has been of interest to me for the last three years, and
especially in the last year, when I started learning how to shoot a
gun.

In <1991Jun6.032952.23195@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu> n9020351@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (James D. Del Vecchio) writes:

>  The "anti-rape" techniques I've seen in some self protection books
>are foolish and useless.  Noteable among these are the "eye myth" and
>the "go for the crotch" myth.  As these are the most basic ideas, and
>the first to occur to anyone, they are what the Rapist would never let
>happen.  He will be on his gaurd for such attempts, and will disarm
>them without a thought.

This really depends.  However, they *are* obvious targets and will be
well protected.  Other non-obvious targets, though, are always taught
in self defense classes.  For example, if I were to attack (in self
defense, of course) another person with a knife, I would never mess
with trying to stab the person, or go for the eyes or groin.  I'd
hamstring him, either behind the knees or the ankles.  The other
target is under the armpit -- it is fairly hard to raise your arm
afterwards (these are all slashing attacks, not stabbing attacks).  As
he points out below, stabbing attacks do not have an immediate effect
other than pain, which the person may be used to dealing with.  The
exception is, of course, if you get the knife up under the sternum and
into vital organs.  This is much more difficult to do than it sounds
though, as you have to be sure you get past the rib cage.

> Also high on the stupid list, are plans to
>defend oneself by stabbing with a hatpin, sharp umbrella or knife.
>Even with a knife, it takes much skill to use effectively.  Knives
>wounds are not stopping wounds, they are slow wounds.  A perp with a
>lethal knife wound will linger for minuntes or hours, still able
>continue his attack.

The key phrase here is "skill".  Do not ever think, whether female or
male, that you will be able to effectively defend yourself, with or
without a weapon, if you have never had any experience and training.
I could effectively defend myself with a knive, but this is because of
long martial-arts training.  It also helps that my SO has studied
fighting with cops and passed the training along to me.  I could
defend myself from a knife attack depending on the knife skill of the
attacker. (But again, it takes training to recognize a truely skilled
knife fighter from one who's just put together adhoc techniques.)

>  The Rapist/mugger is likely a street fighter, and innured to pain.
>Such a person is not likely to be disauded by the same things that
>would stop you.  A man who has been through perhaps many severe
>beatings is not going to be afraid of honking horns and sprays.
>Dedicated criminals have bought their own mace and "stun shockers"
>etc. to use on themselves and acclimate themselves to them.

If you think you can defend yourself by "beating up" the other person,
you are subscribing to a fallacious -- and personally dangerous --
assumption.  On the other hand, assuming that the attacker/rapist is
completely inured to counter attack is self-defeating.

[Of course, I have something of an advantage.  An ear-piercing horn
thingie can't be used against me... ;-)]

>  Also foolish is the idea that lessons in Judo, boxing, Karate etc.
>will make a small woman a match for a large determined man.  It just
>isn't so.

Here is where we get into true feminism relevance.  This is not
foolish at all -- it is only foolish if you subscribe to the notion I
debunked above.  In the first place, many martial arts techniques,
particularly defensive ones, are not designed to "beat up" the other
person.  They are designed to disable or control the person.  If a
large man attacked me, I would counter with disabling or potentially
lethal techniques -- because I know very well that any prolonged fight
is most likely to go badly for me.

This brings up the second point.  Serious study in self-defense is not
just a matter of learning how to punch someone.  It is also learning
how to recognize potentially dangerous situations.  It is learning to
think, seriously, of what you would try to do in certain situations.
It helps to lessen the fear of violence itself and focus on ways to
deal with it.  It helps you stop and think instead of panicking.  Most
men are taught or are expected to know these things, women are not.

Taking a six month course in self-defense will probably not turn you
into a self-defense marvel, and you shouldn't behave as if it had.
However, it should give you a good sense of what you *can* do, and how
to recognize potentially dangerous situations.  The attitude expressed
above is too much of a "small people, especially women, are always
going to be victims," and that is just not so.

As for long term martial arts study, I can make the following points:

  * There *are* good techniques for small people to use on large
people.  Many famous founders were small, delicate oriental men.  I
study Aikido, founded by Ueshiba Morehei, who was 140 and 5'3 or
thereabouts, especially when he was very old.  We saw a film taken of
him in the 40's (he died in the mid 60's in his eighties, this is a
new art) where they lined up a bunch of marines in a circle around him
and told them to go for him.  He picked out one person, swung the
person right past him (in effect switching places), and walked out of
the room.  The person he swung by got the brunt of the attack.  This
illustrates a couple of points.  First of all, that violence does not
need to be met with opposing violence.  Especially if you are smaller,
you will never be able to match or exceed with sufficent
counter-violence.  Second, you can succeed with simply escaping; you
don't necessarily have to stick around and continue with the struggle.

  * In any martial arts, there will be techniques that work better one
way or the other; when the attacker is smaller or larger than the
defender.  You very quickly learn which techniques work better for
you, and especially when training in free-for-alls, you learn to make
effective use of those techniques.  You also learn how to avoid
certain techniques being used on you.  For example, I really cannot
deal well with a two-handed grab (onto one hand).  I know the
techniques, and I can apply them to get out, but it is not easy.  So
that is one that I watch for, to counter before the grab takes place.

  * It takes a LOT of training.  If you stop and think about it, that
makes sense.  You're learning what your body can do, you are learning
what can be done to redirect the other person's attack, you're
learning how the different attacks are composed (one of the things I
did not expect to learn was to learn how to *attack* -- Aikido is
purely defensive -- but you have to execute a good attack on the other
person for that person to effectively learn the technique to counter
that attack.  Waving your arms in the general imitation of an attack
is not good enough.).  Learning all of these things is a very valuable
experience for me -- I've learned what I can do with my body, I've
learned effective techniques, and most of all I've learned to make
truely realistic assessments of my limitiations in potentially violent
situations, instead of being guided by fear and ignorance.  But it
takes a lot of time and effort.

As the saying goes, one of the hall-marks of a true black belt is that
she or he does not get attacked in the first place.  The confidence
borne of long training is readily apparent.  Street attackers choose
people who look like victims, who do not look like they know how to
defend themselves.  Trained people can spot and diffuse situations
before they escalate.

>  Ironicly, the book I just saw yesterday reccomended that women _not_
>carry the one self defense tool that has any chance of making a small
>weak woman safe from an attacker: The handgun.

Yes and no.  The gun is a true equalizer in some respects.  However,
the woman has to know how to handle it and has to be prepared to use
it, not just threaten with it.  Many people, men as well as women, are
not prepared for that.  You have to know how to handle it to present a
creditable threat; people who are afraid of guns, have never or rarely
handled them, and who have never shot a gun are obvious to spot.  If
you wind up having the gun taken away from you because you couldn't
shoot or because you couldn't handle the gun (an uncocked or
unchambered gun, for example, will put you in a real spot), you are in
trouble, needless to say.  However, it *is* an excellent self-defense
weapon, if you are prepared to use it.

--Cindy

"The last thing feminism is about is exclusion.  Feminists can be
defined as those women and men who recognize that the earth doesn't
revolve around anybody's son---or around any one group."
  -- Regina Barreca, _They Used to Call Me Snow White...But I Drifted_

oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu (Truth or Dare?) (06/08/91)

In article <9106061355.aa04157@ics.uci.edu>, tittle@glacier.ICS.UCI.EDU (Cindy Tittle Moore) writes:
> In <1991Jun6.032952.23195@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu> n9020351@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (James D. Del Vecchio) writes:

>>  Also foolish is the idea that lessons in Judo, boxing, Karate etc.
>>will make a small woman a match for a large determined man.  It just
>>isn't so.
>
> Here is where we get into true feminism relevance.  This is not
> foolish at all -- it is only foolish if you subscribe to the notion I
> debunked above.  In the first place, many martial arts techniques,
> particularly defensive ones, are not designed to "beat up" the other
> person.  They are designed to disable or control the person.  If a
> large man attacked me, I would counter with disabling or potentially
> lethal techniques -- because I know very well that any prolonged fight
> is most likely to go badly for me.

	I agree with Cindy.  There's a difference between taking a few
	lessons in Judo for self-defense and actual serious study of the
	martial arts. I do believe that actual, serious study of Judo does
	give a small woman the skill and strength to protect herself -- at
	least it gives her a better chance than she would have /without/
	that training.

	I also agree with Cindy when she discusses how serious study in
	the martial arts can help lessen fear.  One thing that I learned in
	the five years I have studied Judo is not to panic when there's a
	body on top of me.  I have learned how to escape from underneath a
	very large man because I know what points are the weakest and what
	parts are the strongest.

	I fully believe that girls should be encouraged to take Judo.  It's
	probably the best martial art that a woman could study.  Judo does
	entail a lot more physical contact than Karate or Tae Kwon Do.  In
	Judo, you have to learn how to deal with having a person right up
	next to you and it really is much more defensive than offensive.  It
	involves both standing and floor technique.  In fact, smallness can
	be an advantage in Judo -- when I'm going to throw a taller person,
	it's easier to position myself.  If I have to throw someone of my
	own height (not likely, since most of the time I work out with men and
	I'm only 5'2") it requires more effort.

	Not to mention the fact that when I'm actually able to devote time
	to Judo, I have the /best/ body I could ever want.  :-)

  Sharon Lindsey O'Neil  	  "I could be happy/I could be quite naive/
  Bitnet: oneil@unomai1		   It's only me and my shadow/Happy in our
  Internet: oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu 	make believe/Soon." -- Tears for Fears

jan@oas.olivetti.com (Jan Parcel) (06/08/91)

In article <9106061355.aa04157@ics.uci.edu> tittle@glacier.ICS.UCI.EDU (Cindy Tittle Moore) writes:
>This topic has been of interest to me for the last three years, and
>especially in the last year, when I started learning how to shoot a
>gun.
>
>In <1991Jun6.032952.23195@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu> n9020351@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (James D. Del Vecchio) writes:
>
>>  The "anti-rape" techniques I've seen in some self protection books
>>are foolish and useless.  Noteable among these are the "eye myth" and
>>the "go for the crotch" myth.  As these are the most basic ideas, and
>>the first to occur to anyone, they are what the Rapist would never let
>>happen.  He will be on his gaurd for such attempts, and will disarm
>>them without a thought.
[deletions]
>>  Also foolish is the idea that lessons in Judo, boxing, Karate etc.
>>will make a small woman a match for a large determined man.  It just
>>isn't so.
[deletions]
>As for long term martial arts study, I can make the following points:
>
>  * There *are* good techniques for small people to use on large
>people.  Many famous founders were small, delicate oriental men.
[deletions]
>  * It takes a LOT of training.  If you stop and think about it, that
>makes sense.

>>  Ironicly, the book I just saw yesterday reccomended that women _not_
>>carry the one self defense tool that has any chance of making a small
>>weak woman safe from an attacker: The handgun.
>
>Yes and no.  The gun is a true equalizer in some respects.  However,
>the woman has to know how to handle it and has to be prepared to use
>it, not just threaten with it.  Many people, men as well as women, are
>not prepared for that.  You have to know how to handle it to present a
>creditable threat;

One point made in _Armed_ and _Female_, is that interviews with criminals
reveal that swearing must accompany any talking one does on presentation
of a gun, as that is 'criminal-speak' for 'I'm serious'  (Quotes are for
emphasis, not to mark quotes from book)

She also points out that training is a must.

Having read on the net about _Armed_ and _Female_, I bought the book even
though I don't like guns.  There are several interesting personal stories
in the first section of the book, and a lot of eye-openers re: what we've
always been told about self-defense and about guns.

Interestingly, the author was one of the original gun-control advocates.

She gives a profile of who should and shouldn't own guns (I flunked), and
seriously addresses the issue of kids and guns.  It turns out (if I read her
correctly)  there are some models that can be mostly proofed against kids
too young to be trained in safety, although that is only a back-up to keeping
it locked out of reach in the first place.  She also gives a profile of kids
who shouldn't be trained in gun use, and my younger daughter also flunked this
list.  I find it interesting that my personal feelings about my own
situation weren't contradicted in the book.

But, a lot of things I thought I knew turned out to be just plain untrue.

Did MS. review this book?  If so, in what issue?  I can't find a back-issue
that has a review in it.  I think the stories in this book have a lot to
say to feminists, and it deserves more attention from the feminist community.

Is violence the answer to violence?  Rarely, according to the author.  But
feminists must not fall so much in love with women's preference for verbal
resolution of conflicts as to assume we can talk our way out of *anything*.
I have often read (in feminist magazines)  that women police officers are
often more skilled at defusing a situation verbally, but IMHO it is significant
that they still carry guns.

I don't want to get into a big thing about guns in this forum, but I think
the book is interesting, and I recommend reading it.  If the only people
who read it are those who think about guns enough to read talk.politics.guns,
(for instance, I don't), then IMHO too many people will be less informed
than they should be.

~~~ jan@orc.olivetti.com   or    jan@oas.olivetti.com  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We must worship Universal Consciousness as each of the 5 genders in turn
if we wish to be fully open to Yr glory.
						-- St. Xyphlb of Alpha III

dente@ecad-lead-site.electrical-engineering.manchester.ac.uk (Colin Dente) (06/10/91)

Note - the relevance of this to soc.feminism is getting a little
strained, but I do believe that this is a point of sufficient
importance to be worth making here.  I would suggest that any possible
ensuing discussion about the relative merits of the different arts
move to rec.martial-arts, though. - Colin

In article <16026.284f9dbe@zeus.unomaha.edu> oneil@zeus.unomaha.edu (Truth or Dare?) writes:

>In article <9106061355.aa04157@ics.uci.edu>, tittle@glacier.ICS.UCI.EDU (Cindy Tittle Moore) writes:
>>[About the usefulness of serious martial arts training]
>
>	I agree with Cindy.  There's a difference between taking a few
>	lessons in Judo for self-defense and actual serious study of the
>	martial arts.
 So do I...

>	I also agree with Cindy when she discusses how serious study in
>	the martial arts can help lessen fear.  One thing that I learned in
>	the five years I have studied Judo is not to panic when there's a
>	body on top of me.
I think that this is probably one of the most important things to
learn from the martial arts.

>	I fully believe that girls should be encouraged to take Judo.  It's
>	probably the best martial art that a woman could study.
Here I must disagree with you.  In the vast majority of cases, Judo
has become primarily a sport, with little emphasis on real fighting
(i.e. dirty stuff).  I would suggest that women (and men, for that
matter) who are serious about learning a martial art for its self
defence value would be best advised to look for a club offering either
Jiu Jitsu (the fighting art from which Judo was derived), Aiki Jitsu
(from which Aikido was derived), or one of the "harder" styles of
Aikido.  The reason why I suggest this is that these arts all stress
the importance of fighting methods that do not involve throwing, as
well as throwing.  I am 5'10", 180-ish pounds, and a blue belt in Jiu
Jitsu (effectively two belts below black belt), and I wouldn't
*consider* attempting to throw an attacker in a real situation - It's
just *too difficult*.

That said, I agree with most of what Sandra(? - sorry - I just deleted
your sig - perhaps I should call you Truth or Dare ;-)) says.

>	Not to mention the fact that when I'm actually able to devote time
>	to Judo, I have the /best/ body I could ever want.  :-)
Maybe if I train harder I can become the 170 pound lean-mean-fighting-machine
that I'd prefer to be ;-)

Colin

--
  Colin Dente                     | JANET: dente@uk.ac.man.ee.els
  Manchester Computing Centre     | ARPA:  dente@els.ee.man.ac.uk

cindy@solan.unit.no (Cindy Kandolf) (06/10/91)

i think i know why that book recommended not using a hand gun.  any
weapon you carry can be taken from you and used against you.  it
wouldn't be too hard for a large attacker to get a hand gun from a
"small, weak" woman, then use it to threaten or shoot her.  hence an
attacker who may or may not have been armed is now definitely armed.
this is why a lot of literature on protecting yourself tells you to
learn self-defense that can be done without weapons.

-cindy kandolf
 cindy@solan.unit.no
 trondheim, norway