[soc.feminism] The Draft

jym@mica.berkeley.edu (Jym Dyer) (06/11/91)

> Somehow, the feminists who try (and sometimes succeed) to give women
> more opportunities in the army have very little to say/do/change about
> the men-only registration for draft.

    Sheer fiction.

    I suspect I'm better read on feminism than Hillel Gazit, and I
can honestly report that I've not seen one feminist document that
supports a male-only draft.

    Radical feminism sprung out of the civil rights and anti-war
movements, and most radical feminists oppose the draft altogether.
Even so, most of them have made statements that if there is to be
a draft, it should include both sexes.

    Liberal feminists (the traditional types, like NOW) have been
mostly anti-war, but also agree that if there is to be a draft,
it should include both sexes.

    Cultural feminists are divided between the majority who view
war as a male venture and don't like the idea of having heavily-
armed men and oppose the draft altogether; and the minority who
think women should be just as heavily-armed as men and say, again,
that if there is to be a draft it should include both sexes.

    The issue was last brought up for the public at large when
Jimmy Carter re-enacted draft legislation.  At that time, all
three camps reiterated the above stances.
    <_Jym_>

gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) (06/11/91)

In article <JYM.91Jun10114025@remarque.berkeley.edu> jym@mica.berkeley.edu (Jym Dyer) writes:

>    I suspect I'm better read on feminism than Hillel Gazit, and I
>can honestly report that I've not seen one feminist document that
>supports a male-only draft.

They don't support male-only draft, they just don't care about the subject.

>    Radical feminism sprung out of the civil rights and anti-war
>movements, and most radical feminists oppose the draft altogether.

There was also a split between feminism and the anti-war movement,
but feminist literature from the 80's tend to forget about that...