[alt.restaurants] Palm Beach restaurants?

rbl@nitrex.UUCP ( Dr. Robin Lake ) (01/16/90)

In article <7576@pt.cs.cmu.edu> nsv@infos.ri.cmu.edu (Nicole Vecchi) writes:
|>A friend of mine has been making frequent business
|>trips to Palm Beach, and has been complaining that he
|>hasn't found any good restaurants yet.  The people
|>he's doing business with don't quite have the same
|>tastes as he does.
|>
|>Does anyone know of some good restaurants in the Palm
|>Beach area?
|>
|>Thanks!
|>
|>Nicole

In Palm Beach proper, there is Too Jay's, a deli in the Royal Poncianna
Plaza, at the bridge.  It's on the South side, invisible from the street.

There used to be a great hamburger place just North of Worth Ave., Hamburger
Heaven (heard it was sold and the name may have changed.).

There is a good fish place, of the fried persuasion as I recall, Proctor's
in West Palm Beach.  Take out window, too.  They were a bit too fussy
about our infant crumbling crackers on the floor, but that's their thing.

In West Palm, the best barbeque in the country is at Blue Front, Palm Beach
Lakes Blvd.  It is NOT your touristy clean place, but the take out window
allows you to eat in a more pleasant environment.

There is a Charlie's Crab on the beach just south of Palm Beach  --- pricey,
but decent.

Used to be a great coffee shop at the Sea Lord Motel, south of town in
Palm Beach.  Heard they were going to tear it down for condos  --- maybe not
yet.

Rob Lake
BP Research
uunet!nitrex!rbl

rwright@novavax.UUCP (Ronald K. Wright) (01/17/90)

nsv@infos.ri.cmu.edu (Nicole Vecchi) writes:

>Does anyone know of some good restaurants in the Palm
>Beach area?

The Breakers.  Their main dining room is a treat in 1920's elegance
and worth the price of admission at least once.  Stop at the ocean
side bar for a glass of wine before diner and watch the waves.
The Breakers is the Hotel on Palm Beach built by Flagler just before
his railroad empire collapsed.

Testa's on Poinciana on Palm Beach.  This is a seasonal resturant
which moves to Maine off season.  Breakfasts are quite superb.
American cuisine, moderately priced.  Eat at the sidewalk cafe part.
Fun to watch people who are amazingly rich.  This was a favorite of
Roxanne Pulitzer, her friends still eat here.

Heavenly Hamburgers on A1A just north of Worth Avenue, excellent
bookstore next door.  Pretty much what the name implies.

In West Palm on US1 just north of Belvedere Street, about 2 miles
south of down town.  US1 is oneway south here so you either have to
come from downtown or go North on US1 and double back the second or
third street (turn left west go two blocks turn left south) on your
right will be Procters.  Procters is a 50's resturant, the staff all
came there then and stayed.  It has the best fried fish, all you can
eat for 7.95 or so.  The tarter sauce is worth the price of admission.
Just a nice place for 50's American menu items.  Full of mostly old
folks who like the staff came in 1950 and stayed.

For five star (certainly in price if not quality) the Veal Maison in
Boca Raton  might be worth the trip and price.  I for one have not
been impressed.

For the best Barbeque and Southern Soul Food try Tom's Ribs in North
Boca Raton on Federal.  Said by the NY Times to be the best barbeque
sauce in the world.  Closed Sundays.  Closed August as is Procters.
Plan on a 1 hour wait if you come at 5:00 PM during season.
Oh yes Procters and Toms do not take plastic or checks.  US cash only.

Finally, in mid Boca on Federal the Seafood Connection.  Another
really good, moderate priced seafood resturant with a bit more
creativity and 80's architecture and decor, as compared to Testas.
Amazing waits.  They are open all afternoon and if you dont want to
wait hours, go a 4:00 PM or better 2:30.  Wait till May and the lines
are a lot shorter.

--
R. K. Wright MD JD                     | office: uunet!medex2!medexam!rkw
Chief Medical Examiner, Broward County | nova:   novavax!rwright