[aus.games] pool of radiance-suggestions?

scavanag@gara.une.oz.au (LIGHTCHILD) (10/15/90)

my characters are only 2nd or third level, and i'm going to attempt to kill
one of the spectres. are there any tricks to this, eg putting npc's up front
as spectre fodder and using magic & magical arrows? should i wait until i'm up a few levels?

alanf@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Alan Grant Finlay) (10/15/90)

In article <4243@gara.une.oz.au>, scavanag@gara.une.oz.au (LIGHTCHILD) writes:
> my characters are only 2nd or third level, and i'm going to attempt to kill
> one of the spectres. are there any tricks to this, eg putting npc's up front
> as spectre fodder and using magic & magical arrows? should i wait until i'm up a few levels?

Putting npc's up front is probably a good idea (never tried it myself).
The problem with high level undead is that you are very likely to have a
player drained a few levels.  Don't try it if you don't have any scrolls
of restoration.  Even if you do have restoration spells available they restore
characters only to the minimum points value for the levels attained so make
sure you have gained any levels you are entitled to and are not almost
ready to go up a level (or you'll waste a lot of previous effort).
Only characters next to the undead get drained hence your suggestion of
putting npc's up front is a good one.

Ordinary arrows won't work against high level undead - use magic missiles if
you can.