[soc.religion.christian] Historicity of Jesus.

ncramer@bbn.com (Nichael Cramer) (05/27/89)

In article <May.25.23.51.51.1989.3601@geneva.rutgers.edu> ss6349@leah.albany.edu (Steven H Schimmrich) writes:

>   I am interested in finding historical references to the existence of  Jesus
>as  an  historical  personage (i.e. sources which mention Jesus other than the
>New Testament.  I have heard some exist (Tacitus maybe?)  but  I'd  like  more
>information.  Also,  I'd  like  to  know  how  reliable scholars believe these
>sources to be (I know  it  probably  depends  on  the  scholar!).  Can  anyone
>recommend any reliable books? Thanks.

STEVEN

The moderator (as always) has given a very nice summary of the known
historical, non-biblical references to Jesus.  But to answer your specific
request for books, two sound works that give good overviews of the issues
involved in and the actual evidence of historicity are Thomas Sheehan's
_The First Coming_ and Joseph Fitmyers' _A Christeological Catechism_.
Both of these books give very good, popular statements of the current state
of scholarly NT studies and contain copious pointers for those interested
in delving deeper into the field; I heartily recommend both of them.

(Of course, if you want to start at a somewhat deeper level --or you're
having trouble sleeping-- you can always try your hand at Schillebeeckx's
_Jesus_ or _Christ_.  ;)

NICHAEL

bill@emx.utexas.edu (Bill Jefferys) (05/27/89)

I know of two books devoted to the historical references to Jesus
outside the NT. They are:

F.F. Bruce, _Jesus and Christian Origins Outside the New Testament_,
	Eerdmans 1974. Bruce is (was?) Rylands Professor of Biblical
	Criticism and Exegesis at the University of Manchester.

R. Joseph Hoffman, _Jesus Outside the Gospels_, Prometheus 1984.
	This one is useful for its extensive quotations from the
	documents in question.

Professor Bruce's book is out-of-print, but Hoffman's is still
available.

Bill Jefferys