[soc.religion.christian] sin, alcohol and spiritual advice

dhawk@lll-crg.llnl.gov (David Hawkins) (06/01/89)

In the referenced article, mls@mhuxu.UUCP (Michael Siemon) wrote:
>This poses the question rather abstractly.  Equally abstractly, one might
>respond that for many people, the greatest *barrier* to their "yielding
>to the Spirit" is the rigidity of the psychological and social structures
>in which they have been inculcated.

There are a wide number of addictions that can keep one from
developing a conscious contact with God.  Check out John Bradshaw's
_On the Family_ for a partial list.  For some people it's alcohol, while
for others it's religion or sex or overworking or tv  . . . - but
that's something that people have to determine for themselves.

Yes, religion can be a block and it's a real common one.  It's easy to
knock the Pharasees and practice exactly what they did.  The church
can be a great excuse to keep that rigidity that Michael mentions.
It's interesting to follow the discussions here and in
talk.religion.misc as folks develop guidelines that everyone should
follow.

What works for me it to practice love and acceptance first (I know
there's something in there about loving your neighbor).  Associate
with the sinners -- like Jesus did.

I was at a detox center last night and it sure clears away these
intellectual abstractions.  These were suffering people and I just sat
around and talked with them about what had happened to me (I'm a
recovering alcoholic in AA).

Alcohol is a block for me, but so is pride.  I haven't had a drink in
18 months, but I have to deal with pride on a daily basis.

Enough rambling for now . . .

later, david
--
David Hawkins       {apple,pacbell,hplabs,ucbvax}!well!dhawk
It is better to encounter one's existence in disgust than never