[soc.religion.christian] post if you like

socko.curt@uunet.uu.net (06/21/89)

In article <Mar.28.04.55.25.1989.8837@geneva.rutgers.edu> hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu writes:
>Theologically I am a Calvinist.  I believe in Original Sin.  This
>doctrine is taught in Gen, and I accept it.  ...
>... I find it very ironic that I, who believe the doctrine
>that is being taught in Gen, am told that I am rejecting the Bible's
>authority by so-called inerrantists who argue to their dying breath
>about the literal reality of the story, but who reject the whole point
>it is trying to make.  At least it has been my experience that most
>conservative Christians come from traditions that believe in free
                                                   ^^^
>will, and therefore reject the concept of Original Sin that is being
>taught here.  It appears that belief in the literal accuracy of
          ^^^
>Scripture is not enough to guarantee that people will accept what it
>is teaching.

Yes, yes, I heartily agree!  Many people on both sides get caught up in
debates about whether or not Genesis is literal history, and then
completely overlook the principles it teaches.

The thing that confuses me here is the marked phrase, which implies
that the concepts of Original Sin and free will are mutually exclusive.
Perhaps my definition of Original Sin is wrong...  I wrote down a
definition from another article posted fairly recently: "the corruption
that started with Adam and Eve is passed on such that each of us is
corrupt".  Free will is (at least as I've always heard it used) the
ability in a given situation to say to God, "Yes," or to say to God,
"No" (that is, to choose good or to choose evil).  Given these
definitions, I don't see that Original Sin and free will are mutually
exclusive.  In fact, they seem to deal with different things -- the
former with the inherent condition of man and the latter with his
capabilities for decision and/or action.

So, like, what's the deal?  Am I missing something?

------------------------
Curt McCorkle			JOHN 3:16!
uunet!littlei!socko:curt	 Go to hell
OR    littlei!donk!curt		 if you can't
				 take a gift	--T. Russack

[We've got yet another ambiguous term.  Free will has a number of
meanings.  In theological discussions it tends to be used in a
technical sense that excludes the concept of original sin.  The
classical Augustinian position is that original sin so corrupted the
will that it is impossible for the person to choose good.  Of course
he is physically able to do so.  But because his will has been
corrupted he never will.  It is not enough for God to offer salvation,
because the person would turn it down.  God must through grace restore
the person's will before he will even be able to accept anything God
has to offer.  This is the position that was taken by Augustine,
Luther, and Calvin.  (This particular wording is closer to Augustine
than to Calvin.  Augustine tends to emphasize that grace restores the
true power of choice, whereas Calvin and Luther tend to emphasize that
grace is "irresistible", not asking for any choice on our part.  I
think these accounts are consistent.  Augustine is emphasizing our
situation after grace has started acting on us, while Luther and
Calvin emphasize its initial action, while our will is still
hopelessly corrupt.)  The opposing position is either that there is no
original sin, or that it does not have quite this radical effect.
Unless you really go to the other extreme, as in Pelagianism, the
position is normally that our salvation depends entirely upon God's
grace, but this grace is offered to us and we do have the freedom to
accept or reject it.  This is normally what is meant by free will.
Depending upon the relative emphases on grace and human choice, this
position is known as semi-Augustinian or semi-Pelagian.  The more
polite term for semi-Pelagian is Arminian, since Pelagianism is an
extreme that everybody agrees is heretical.  There were great
theological battles in the 17th and 18th Century between the
Augustinians, who in that particular incarnation were generally
Calvinists, and the Arminians, whose most influential champion was
probably John Wesley (founder of the Methodists).  Early evangelicals
in the U.S. tended to be Calvinists, but at some point (18th Cent?)
this seemed to reverse.  This reversal is still visible in church
names such as "Free Will Baptists", the point being that early
Baptists were Calvinists.  It is certainly possible to conceive of
free will as meaning simply the fact that we are physically capable of
making a choice.  In that case it does not contradict even the
Augustinian concept of original sin.  Similarly it is possible to
conceive of an Arminian sort of original sin that leaves enough power
of choice for us to accept a grace which is merely offered.  Now that
the vicious arguments have died down, I think most Christians
recognize that grace is a paradox, and both sides of the paradox must
be maintained.  Thus ultimately it may be that we should use concepts
of original sin and free will that are compatible with each other.
However I don't think that's not the sense in which they have been
used historically.

--clh]

davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) (06/26/89)

In article <Mar.28.04.55.25.1989.8837@geneva.rutgers.edu> hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu writes:
>Theologically I am a Calvinist.  I believe in Original Sin.  This

I think we would better spend our time if we consulted the Word of
God, which is a guaranteed source of authority, rather than try to
gain what can at best be an infinitecimal understanding by trying to
merge the philosophies of a bunch of other sinful human minds.
Augustine, Luther, Calvan, and whoever else is under discussion most
definitely appear to have been used of God for His purposes in the
world, but we should never fall for the temptation to place their
teachings, i.e. the authority of man, above what the Bible actually
says, i.e. the infalable authority of God.

There can be no real question that we are all considered sinners
before God, and that this is a state which we have inherited from our
parents who have in turn inherited it from theirs. God tells us this
parabolically in Haggai 2:11-14 where He says "Thus saith the LORD of
hosts; Ask now the priests {concerning} the law, saying, If one bear
holy flesh in the skirt of his garment, and with his skirt do touch
bread, or pottage, or wine, or oil, or any meat, shall it be holy? And
the priests answered and said, No. Then said Haggai, If {one that is}
unclean by a dead body touch any of these, shall it be unclean? And
the priests answered and said, It shall be unclean. Then answered
Haggai, and said, So {is} this people, and so {is} this nation before
me, saith the LORD; and so {is} every work of their hands; and that
which they offer there {is} unclean.". We know from Genesis 3 that
Adam and Eve both sinned. Psalm 51:5 tells us that "Behold, I was
shapen in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.". Psalm
58:3-5 tells us that "The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go
astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies. Their poison {is} like
the poison of a serpent: {they are} like the deaf adder {that}
stoppeth her ear; Which will not hearken to the voice of charmers,
charming never so wisely.".

The Scriptures very clearly state that not only the unsaved but also
the saved (before God actually saved them) are absolutely in no way
interested in having anything to do with Him. Speaking of them, He
tells us through the apostle Paul in Ephesians 2:1-3 that "And you
{hath he quickened}, who were dead in trespasses and sins: Wherein in
time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according
to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in
the children of disobedience: Among whom also we all had our
conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the
desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children
of wrath, even as others.". He confirms this very emphatically in
Romans 3:10-18, sumarizing in Romans 3:23 that "For all have sinned,
and come short of the glory of God;".

Jesus tells us that the unsaved, and that's what we all start out life
being, most definitely do not have a free will to choose to follow God
on His own terms. In John 6:44 He tells us that "No man can come to
me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him:". Note that Jesus
did not say "no one WILL come", i.e. "no one will exercise the free
will to come"; He said "no one CAN come", i.e. "no one is able to
come". God, through the apostle Paul in Romans 9:15-18, tells us very
clearly that He, and in no way any one of us, has chosen those who are
to be saved by saying "For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on
whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have
compassion. So then {it is} not of him that willeth, nor of him that
runneth, but of God that showeth mercy. For the scripture saith unto
Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I
might show my power in thee, and that my name might be declared
throughout all the earth. Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will
{have mercy}, and whom he will he hardeneth.".

The only remaining question is whether or not a person whom God has
chosen to save has the free will to refuse the gift. God tells us in
Isaiah 55:11 that "So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my
mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that
which I please, and it shall prosper {in the thing} whereto I sent
it.". Jesus tells us in John 6:39 that "And this is the Father's will
which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose
nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.".

I would like to conclude with a statement of my own. 1 Corinthians
10:31 commands us "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever
ye do, do all to the glory of God.". If I wished to reserve for myself
the right to tell God that part of the reason that I am truly saved is
that I chose to accept His gift then I would still be doing just a
little something to the glory of myself. Since this is not to be, the
concept of us having a free will to either accept or refuse His gift
cannot be.

I am sure that there are several people who find themselves in
disagreement with what I have said. They may have many Scriptures that
would appear to contradict the position which I hold. In addition to
quoting those other Scriptures to disprove what I have said, I would
urge them very strongly to try to force those Scriptures which I have
used to fit into any other scenario. I, on the other hand, am willing
to take as much time as any one would like to show how all those other
Scriptures fit into this scenario. I am assuming, of course, that the
Bible is believed to be the one and only message from God to us, and
that it contains absolutely no errors or contradictions because it has
as its author an infinitely perfect and honest God who sincerely cares
for His creation.

Dave Mielke, 613-726-0014
856 Grenon Avenue
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
K2B 6G3

[I'm going to ignore the body of this posting, and comment on the
first paragraph:

  I think we would better spend our time if we consulted the Word of
  God, which is a guaranteed source of authority, rather than try to
  gain what can at best be an infinitecimal understanding by trying to
  merge the philosophies of a bunch of other sinful human minds.

Calvin is not exactly what you'd call a philosopher.  He was primarily
a Biblical scholar.  He considered his theological works to be mostly
expositions of Scripture.  By refusing to listen to other "sinful
human minds", you simply make it more likely that you will be misled
by another sinful human mind, namely your own.  Everyone brings along
preconceptions when he reads the Bible.  It is easy for these to cause
you to miss things or misinterpret them.  There is also factual
background, such as historical context and information about the
original Greek and Hebrew that may not be obvious from the
translation.  I find that people who dismiss all scholarship generally
end up unconsciously taking positions that they have inherited from
their parents, pastor, etc.  Only when you subject your understanding
to the test of comparing it with others can you hope to find these
hidden preconceptions.  As you will know if you have read other things
I have to say, I am not a great believer in "tradition".  I think in
the end the only authority we can depend upon in theological matters
is the Bible.  But I have a low enough view of my own abilities that I
am anxious to get all the assistance I can.  So I read widely what
others have to say.

In this particular case I cited Calvin mostly as a shorthand.  It is
quite common that in the process of looking at other views, one will
find some particular person or group of people more convincing than
others.  In that case, it makes sense to identify yourself
appropriately.  When I say that I am a Calvinist, it doesn't mean that
I accept Calvin as some kind of authority over and above the Bible.
Calvin himself would be horrified at that.  Rather, it is an attempt
to summarize my views briefly, so you will be more likely to
understand the context of what I am saying.  This particular posting
was dealing with a different issue.  Original sin came up only in
passing.  Rather than going into a lot of detail, I simply indicated
that I take a position close to Calvin's, whose views on that subject
are well known.

--clh]