[soc.religion.christian] inclusive language text

rgo@berlioz.nsc.com (Ronald Olshausen) (06/10/89)

The Lutheran church which I attend has rather recently adopted
what's referred to as 'inclusive language' text for the
traditional Lutheran service. This entails replacing
many gender-specific references, such as 'Father, Son
and Holy Spirit', with 'Creator, Redeemer, and Sanctifier'.

Though this practice really bothers me, many others in the
congregation don't seem to mind. Not only do I feel that some
of the foundations of Christianity are being somewhat
compromised, but I feel it does a disservice to the long tradition
of the Church. I've heard this is being done in the Episcopal
and Methodist churches, as well.

I believe that this is an attempt to water down the content
of the message. It is to me an attempt
to reach a bigger demographic group: a response to a
rapidly dwindling church-going populace. Did anyone else
read the Time article about the dramatic drop in attendance
in the so-called "mainstream" churches? According to the
article, attendance at the three largest denominations
in America has dropped 55% in the last 20 years.

I'd be interested in hearing from others who may have had
some experience with this, or who may have opinions on the
matter. To me, trying to please everyone sometimes produces
exactly the opposite effect.

Ron Olshausen
NSC-Santa Clara

hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu (06/10/89)

I don't agree with all of your criticisms.  Using inclusive language
is not "an attempt to water down the content".  Nobody says "our
Christianity is too strong, let's water it down."  Whether watering
down actually results as side effect is however an important question.
Similarly, there's nothing wrong with trying to reach a bigger
demographic group.  Christ calls us clearly to reach the whole world,
and it's also clear that Christianity is not supposed to have any
barriers due to sex.  So again, there can be no question of bad
intent.  The question is about the result.

First, let me say that there's one important issue on which I don't
have an answer.  That is whether traditional language actually creates
barriers for women, outside a few extremists.  That's not a question I
am equipped to answer.  Perhaps others will be able to.  Certainly if
a significant number of women feel that Christianity does not apply to
them because of male-oriented language, this is a problem that we have
to deal with somehow.  I'd be willing to pay some price in esthetics
if we make a more effective witness.  Wouldn't you?  Paul was willing
to be a Jew to the Jews and one outside the Law to those outside the
Law (I Cor 9:20-21). I think we can yield our favorite language if
it's really a stumbling block for others.

What I'd like to do is to draw the line between historical documents
and new things.  If it's important to do so, I guess I'd give in.  But
I'd like us to keep the ability to appreciate the faith of those in
other cultures, and not to demand that everything we read has been
predigested to remove all material that might show a different
background.  I believe in singing anthems with their original words,
even if they have theology that differs slightly from ours, as long as
it is a legitimate historical expression of the Christian faith.
Similarly, we should be able to say historic creeds, sing traditional
hymns, etc.  But most of what we say during a given service comes from
contemporary sources: the current liturgy, or prayers written by our
pastors for the occasion.  I see no reason why these things shouldn't
be done inclusively.

The point is that when you're doing something new, you choose wordings
that simply don't mention "man".  But when you take an old text and
try to adapt it, you end up doing things like global replace of "man"
with "person", and end up with what I consider objectionable wording.
If it does turn out to be necessary to reword existing texts, I'd
rather see major surgery, rather than simple global replacements.  We
recently sang "All people that on earth do dwell" in a non-sexist
version.  The second verse was "The Lord, you know, is God indeed.
Without our aid God did us make; We are the sheep which God doth feed,
And for a flock God doth us take."  This simply cries out LOOK AT ME.
I'M NOT SAYING HIM OR HIS.  I can't believe that this is any
improvement.  I'd rather have a complete rewrite than this sort of
mindless editing.

However the big issue is God as Father.  I wish I had a solution to
this.  I don't know any neutral replacement.  The recent tendency
seems to be to use creator instead of father.  I'll comment below on a
specific problem I have with "creator, redeemer, and sustainer".  But
aside from that, we're replacing something very personal with
something less so.  I think that's a step backwards.  The move from
thinking of God as an abstract creator to our father was a crucial
one.  We certainly can't abandon it.  One interesting possibility is
to try to mix male and female images.  Mindlessly alternating Him and
Her, or Father and Mother is likely to produce hideous results.  But
I'm beginning to see some very creative work with using female imagery
responsibly.  Andrew Greeley in his more recent novels refers to God
as both as Him and Her.  He manages to make this work.  He typically
uses the female form when he is trying to emphasize certain aspects of
God where it seems natural.  A particularly creative contribution to
this issue comes from Rebecca Pentz' contribution to the volume
"Encountering Jesus: A Debate on Christology", ed. Stephen Davis.  The
book is otherwise fairly boring, but she has a chapter "Can Jesus Save
Women?"  This chapter deals with a number of issues involving how
Christianity appears to women.  Many of them are important, and I find
her discussions innovative and sound.  The suggestion that is relevant
in this discussion is that we should think of God's actions using
female images.  In a section on the atonement she quotes Julian of
Norwich (14th Cent), who is famous for referring to "Mother Jesus".
Pentz seeings Jesus' death as an act of childbirth, suffering to bring
us to new birth.  She describes other aspects of both the Father's and
Jesus' way of dealing with us as mothering.  I'm afraid it's going to
be a long time before I am going to be able to listen to "Mother, Son,
and Holy Spirit" without a shudder.  Pentz does not suggest this, nor
do I.  However if we can start using images from women's experience as
well as men's, we can start moving to the point where such a thing
sounds more natural.  I do not suggest doing this simply as a
concession to feminism.  Rather, I think Pentz' suggestions bring new
insight into the way God works, and would be valuable even if the
current ferment did not exist.

The last issue I'd like to mention is a specific problem with
"creator, redeemer, and sustainer."  I have no problem with these
titles for God.  They certainly all apply.  However if they come to be
used in a Trinitarian context, I am afraid that they imply a heresy
called modalism.  Classical Trinitarian doctrine says that the
relationship among Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is an intrinsic aspect
of God. Even before there was a world, God had the relationship of
love within him.  Unfortunately, creator, redeemer and sustainer name,
not roles in this eternal relationship, but ways that God interacts
with the world.  They imply that the Trinity does not tell us about
God's actual nature, but just about how he deals with us.  This is not
what the Trinity is intended to be about.  It is true that creation is
often seen as in some sense particularly the responsibility of the
Father, redemption of the Son, and sustaining of the Spirit.  However
remember that there is only one God.  Creation, redemption, and
sustaining are all actions carried out jointly by all three Persons of
the Trinity.  They cannot really be used to characterize the Persons.
Again, I have no problem with the terms themselves, just with using
them as a replacement for Father, Son and Holy Spirit as ways to
characterize the Trinity.  If it is thought that Father can no longer
be used (or at least not alone), I think we're going to have to come
up with a different replacement.  I wish I had a good answer.  But I
am not prepared to accept something that replaces the traditional
language with something that fails to do justice to the concepts.  We
may either have to learn to live with Mother, or use the traditional
three words, but supplement them with images of God mothering us.

jygabler@ucdavis.edu (Jason Gabler) (06/14/89)

In article <Jun.10.01.38.40.1989.4171@athos.rutgers.edu> rgo@logic.nsc.com (Ronald Olshausen) writes:
>The Lutheran church which I attend has rather recently adopted
>what's referred to as 'inclusive language' text for the
>traditional Lutheran service. This entails replacing
>many gender-specific references, such as 'Father, Son
>and Holy Spirit', with 'Creator, Redeemer, and Sanctifier'.

First, to deal *quickly* with the Bible's (Pauls' ?) so-called mysoginism:
I do not believe that men or women are superior to one another.  However,
as a result of "the Fall", God put the male of the human race in the role as
leader and dominant figure.  Equal with different roles.

HOW ?:
This is a possible explanation why God put himself as "He" ..etc.. as opposed to
 "She...." .  If God were going to put the males of this world "in charge",
as an example , He would call himself a male.

WHY ?:
The example of Father,Son and Holy Spirit are excellent 'human language'
descriptions of the roles of the 3 persons of God.  They give many more
implications of the roles that Creator, Redeemer and Sanctifier.
Where is the love of the word Father (Abba, Daddy) in the word Creator?
How does the word Redemmer, also show the relationship between the Father and
the Son?  How does the word Sanctifier show the ability of a Holy SPIRIT capableof seeing, comforting and guiding all?

WHERE ?: (one example)
Remember The Father said "This is my Son, with which I am well pleased". Not
"..the Redemmer with which I am well pleased".  God had a definate set of
ideas He wanted to express, as well as fufilling prophecy.
Question: In these Lutheran texts, does Jesus call the Father, "My
Creator" ? as opposed to "My Father" ?

Also, we are the Bride of Chirst.  A Daughter or Redemmer has a hard time
being a Groom :) .

   ___    ___   __    ___  )___    __________________________________
  (   |  '__|  (__   /  /  /  /    |          Matthew 16:25         |
   \  |  (__)\  __) /__/  /  /     |"For whoever wishes to save his |
    \_| Internet: jygabler@ucdavis |life shall lose it; but whoever |
      | BITNET:   jygabler@ucdavis |loses his life for My sake shall|
      | UUCP:     ucdavis!jygabler |find it."                       |
                                   ----------------------------------

nlt@romeo.cs.duke.edu (N. L. Tinkham) (06/17/89)

Chuck Hedrick writes:

> First, let me say that there's one important issue on which I don't
> have an answer.  That is whether traditional language actually creates
> barriers for women, outside a few extremists.  That's not a question I
> am equipped to answer.  Perhaps others will be able to.

     I can't answer for all women, of course, but I can give some of my own
thoughts.

     I have, not surprisingly, mixed feelings about traditional vs. inclusive
language.  The traditional *roles* assigned to people according to gender
do create barriers for women, and I am happy to see Christianity at last
beginning to remove some of these barriers.  At the same time, I share Mr.
Hedrick's concerns for aesthetics, doctrinal correctness, and faithful
presentation of an artist's work as originally created.

     In some cases, language can be made inclusive very easily.  The
translation of the Nicene Creed in the 1979 Book of Common Prayer comes to
mind:  the earlier translation says that Jesus was incarnate "for us men
and for our salvation", while the newer translation has "for us and for our
salvation".  Omitting the word "men" does make the rendering slightly less
literal (the Greek has "anthropous"), but the meaning is still clear enough;
it is, in fact, clearer than the older phrase in asserting that *all* humans
are included.

     In other cases, inclusive language is awkward, as in the anthem Chuck
mentioned (avoiding all use of pronouns) and the names for the Persons of
the Trinity.  Christianity does have a collection of masculine metaphors for
God -- "Father", "King", "Bridegroom", for example; that is part of our
inheritance.  These do not necessarily have to become exclusive, as long as it
is kept carefully in mind that they are metaphors, a few of many possible
images for God:  God is in some ways like a father or husband or king, but God
is not male any more than he literally wears a gold crown.  Occasionally, the
"male" picture seems to be taken too seriously (as, for instance, in Jason
Gabler's article), and at those times some feminine metaphors, or an increased
use of gender-independent images, provide a welcome reminder that women too are
in the image of God.

     Renaming the Persons of the Trinity is probably as hard as trying to
translate the creeds into non-Platonic language, in that "Father" and "Son"
have become technical terms for the first and second Persons.  I suspect that
these titles are too integral a part of the wording of Christian theology to
be changed; as has been pointed out, the commonly-used alternative, "Creator,
Redeemer, and Sustainer" suggests modalism, and it may be difficult to find
a wording that does not contain some heresy.  Probably the best we can do on
this is to leave the traditional wording of the threefold Name in place, much
as we leave in place the creeds' now-puzzling language of "substance" and
"essence", and supplement with explanations and other images.

'They are "the opposite sex" (though why         Nancy Tinkham
"opposite" I do not know; what is the            nlt@cs.duke.edu
the "neighbouring sex"?)'   -D. L. Sayers        {decvax,rutgers}!mcnc!duke!nlt

davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) (06/17/89)

In article <Jun.10.01.38.40.1989.4171@athos.rutgers.edu> rgo@logic.nsc.com (Ronald Olshausen) writes:
>The Lutheran church which I attend has rather recently adopted
>what's referred to as 'inclusive language' text for the
>traditional Lutheran service.
I am in complete agreement with you. Another example of the kind of
rephrasing that they have done is the replacement of "Son of God" with
"man from heaven". They have done a great deal toward the removal of
many of the beautiful truths which the Word of God contains and which
people must know if they are to gain a correct understanding of what
salvation really is. Many church leaders these days have forgotten
that it is God, and not they themselves, who saves people. If they
stop using the words of God Himself then they cannot realistically
expect that any of those to whom they are talking will receive His
gift of salvation. It is wonderful, however, to remember at all times
that no matter what they do, with God all things are possible anyway.
The Scriptures are full of prophesies that this sort of thing would
begin to occur within the corporate church system near the end of time
as we know it, i.e. what God refers to as "the end times". Those who
are truly saved can relax, knowing that God is still in complete control
of everything, that these signs serve as a reminder to us of HIs
impecable accuracy in the fore-telling of future events, and that the
end, and therefore His return, is very imminent.

Dave Mielke, 613-726-0014
856 Grenon Avenue
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
K2B 6G3

wcsa@cbnewsc.att.com (Willard C. Smith) (06/21/89)

Nancy Tinkham writes:
>     I have, not surprisingly, mixed feelings about traditional vs. inclusive
>language.  The traditional *roles* assigned to people according to gender
>do create barriers for women, and I am happy to see Christianity at last
>beginning to remove some of these barriers.  At the same time, I share Mr.
>Hedrick's concerns for aesthetics, doctrinal correctness, and faithful
>presentation of an artist's work as originally created.

Recently I have been going over the Joesph Campbell and Bill Moyers
discussion, _The Power of Myth_, and in chapter 7 ("The Gift of the
Goddess'), there is a short discussion of the Father and Mother images
especially pertaining to the "Father Quest."

To quote Cambell and Moyers:

CAMBELL: Well, the mother's right there. You're born from your mother,
and she's the one who nurses you and instructs you and brings you up to
the age when you must find your father.

Now, the finding of the father has to do with finding your own character
and destiny.  There's the notion that the character is inherited from
the father and the body and very often the mind from the mother.  But
it's your character that is the mystery, and your character is your
destiny. So it is the discovery of your destiny that is symbolized by
the father quest.

MOYERS: So when you find your father, you find yourself?

CAMPBELL:  We have the word in English, "at-one-ment" with the father.
You remember the story of Jesus lost in Jerusalem when he's a little boy
about twelve years old.  His parents hunt for him, and when they find him
in the temple in conversation with the doctors of the law, they ask "Why
did you abandon us this way? Why did you give us this fear and anxiety?"
And he says, "Didn't you know I had to be about my father's business?" He's
twelve years old--that's the age of the adolescent initiations, finding who
you are.

End of quote (_The Power of Myth_,1988, p. 166).

Feminism aside, I question the damage being done in the name of equality,
wherein the "Spiritual Father Quest imagery" is ripped out with nothing of
equal force explicitly replacing it.

--
                   1100 E. Warrenville Rd., Naperville, IL
Willard C. Smith   (312) 979-0024

lab@crdgw1.ge.com (Lance Beckner) (06/28/89)

In article <Jun.10.01.38.40.1989.4171@athos.rutgers.edu>, rgo@berlioz.nsc.com (Ronald Olshausen) writes:
> The Lutheran church which I attend has rather recently adopted
> what's referred to as 'inclusive language' text for the
> traditional Lutheran service. This entails replacing
> many gender-specific references, such as 'Father, Son
> and Holy Spirit', with 'Creator, Redeemer, and Sanctifier'.

I think that an important question to ask is:  Why did God choose to
be called "Father" and why did He choose Jesus to be His "Son"?

I don't have the answer to this question, but it seems VERY significant
if we are going to consider changing the wording.

--
Lance A. Beckner                   INTERNET: lab@fibercom.com
FiberCom, Inc.                     UUCP: ...!uunet!fibercom!lab

credmond@watmath.waterloo.edu (Chris Redmond) (07/01/89)

In article <Jun.28.01.07.17.1989.22445@athos.rutgers.edu> fibercom!lab@crdgw1.ge.com (Lance Beckner) writes:

>I think that an important question to ask is:  Why did God choose to
>be called "Father" and why did He choose Jesus to be His "Son"?
>
>I don't have the answer to this question, but it seems VERY significant
>if we are going to consider changing the wording.

Those who are concerned about the "inclusive language" issue
believe that God did NOT choose this.  More accurately, we
believe that "Father" and "Son" are only a couple of the MANY
terms by which God wishes to be called.

In other words: we (well, me anyway) would not deny that God
is Father.  Or that Jesus is Son.  But we claim that it was
wrong for human beings to emphasize only these selected names
for a God who is so much more than that.

   credmond@watmath

jygabler@ucdavis.edu (Jason Gabler) (07/04/89)

In article <Jul.1.02.59.48.1989.17864@athos.rutgers.edu> credmond@watmath.waterloo.edu (Chris Redmond) writes:
>Those who are concerned about the "inclusive language" issue
>believe that God did NOT choose this.

Note Psalms 2:7 and 2 Sam 7:14 where God the Father refers to Himself
as the Father of a Son ... I believe these to be references to His
relationship with Jesus (So does the author of the book of Hebrews,
Hebrews 1:5)

>In other words: we (well, me anyway) would not deny that God
>is  Father.  Or that Jesus is  Son.  But we claim that it was
>wrong for human beings to emphasize only these selected names
>for a God who is so much more than that.
>
>   credmond@watmath

I do not see why the underlined portion is so "wrong".

The "Father" aspect of God is (in my view) the whole idea behind
our relationship with God as Christians.  It is the crux of His love,
His forgiveness of sin, the sending of the the Messiah to die.

The "Son" aspect of God (Jesus more specifically, I suppose we can say) is
most crucial to our vision of Jesus' relation to the Father.  It is the prime
example we have for our relationships with God  and many other relationships.

To press the fact that don't necessarily see this as "right" and other
views as "wrong":  The concepts of "Father" and "Son" have been most
beneficial in my relationship with the Lord and in understanding his
loove and concern for me.

After all though, I can see how the male implications can be offensive.
But complying with my above feelings, I belive this is one of those things
that need to be struggled with.  As an example: It took me a long time to undo
my "sophist" ideas and believe that the Lord wants me to do good for the
reward I will recieve.   :)

Jason Gabler

ccjason@castor.ucdavis.edu
jygabler@ucdavis