[soc.religion.christian] Know your saved

lab@uunet.uu.net (Lance Beckner) (07/06/89)

In article <Jul.4.05.30.52.1989.6589@athos.rutgers.edu>, ssc-vax!finney@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Ken Finney) writes:

> I  have always had problems believing that anyone can KNOW that they
> are saved.  I am confident that many more people believe that they
> are saved than actually are.  If you have any scriptural references
> for me, I would appreciate them.

> Ken Finney @ Boeing Arts & Entertainment

1 John 2:3
     Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His
     commandments.

1 John 2:5
     But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected
     in him.  By this we know that we are in Him.

1 John 2:29
     If you know that He is righteous, you know that everyone who
     practices righteousness is born of Him.

1 John 3:14
     We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love
     the brethren.  He who does not love his brother abides in death.

I would read all of 1 John.  I have heard it referred to as a "litmus test"
for believers.  Near the end of the epistle, John tells us why he wrote it.

1 John 5:13
     "These things I have written to you who believe in the name of
     the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life..."

You should compare your life to the examples that John has given.  Obviously
you will come up short in some areas.  That's why the words in 1 John 1:9
are so encouraging.

Our moderator writes:

>  [...stuff deleted...]                    We know that our salvation
> doesn't depend upon any work.  It is purely by faith.  So now the
> question comes: do we have enough faith?  Is it the right kind?  This
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> is turning faith right back into a work.  Faith isn't a particular
> attitude that you have to get right in order to be saved.  Faith
> simply means that you trust in God rather than yourself.  Your
> salvation depends upon him, and his promises are sure.

My Pastor uses a good example when he comes across people who are afraid
that they don't "have enough faith."  You take two people who have to get on
a plane to some destination.  The first guy gets on the plane with no fear,
no worries, no problem.  The second guy is literally TERRIFIED!  His stomach
is in knots, he is sweating profusely, and his legs are like jelly as he
boards the plane.  Both men had enough faith to get on the plane; therefore,
they both made it to their destination.

I spent the first year of my Christian life worrying about whether I was
truly saved.

As our moderator pointed out, we do not have to be sure of our salvation to
receive it.  Some people may never have that confidence but "it is better
for a man to go trembling on his knees into heaven, than to go marching boldly
into hell."  (a quote from someone famous, but I don't recall who at this
time)

--
Lance A. Beckner                   INTERNET: lab@fibercom.com
FiberCom, Inc.                     UUCP: ...!uunet!fibercom!lab