[soc.religion.christian] Rev 22:18-19

hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu (07/05/89)

This discussion of Rev 22:18-19 moved me to look it up in Greek.  Here
it is.  This is Alfred Marshall's literal translation, slightly
cleaned up from the Interlinear Greek-English NT published by
Zondervan.  It's pretty easy to verify that at least as it bears on
this discussion the translation is right.

  I bear witness to everyone hearing the words of the prophecy of this
  scroll: If anyone adds to them, God will add upon him the plagues
  written in this scroll; and if anyone takes away from the words of the
  scroll of this prophecy, God will take away his part of the tree of
  life and out of the holy city, of the things writte nin this scroll.

It seems pretty obvious that it is referring to Rev.

(1) First, the word which Marshall translates scroll.  In fact my
lexicon gives both scroll and book.  However it is used in Rev
elsewhere (e.g. 5:1ff, 13:8 - also 6:14, but there it is used
metaphorically) to refer to a specific prophecy.

(2) The passage itself refers identifies the scroll or book with "this
prophecy".  It mentions specific features of Rev: the plagues, the
tree of life, and the holy city.  Calling the whole Bible "this
prophecy" would be very strange indeed, since the Bible is far more
than just a prophecy.  And isn't it odd that the specific features
cited are those that occur in Rev?

(3) We should look at the whole of Chap 22.  This is not the first
mention of "the prophecy of this scroll".  See 22:10.  This is a clear
allusion to 10:4, an indication that it is referring to the part of
the visions reported in Rev. that are not to be sealed.

(4) There is the obvious historical fact that at this time the Bible
wasn't circulating as a single scroll or book.  It was too big for
that to be practical.  So even if we assume that the author considered
his book to be part of the Bible, this doesn't seem like the word he'd
use to refer to it.  See e.g. the terminology in II Pet 3:16.

I admit this is "human reasoning".  Greek is a human language, and
understanding it is a human process.  If someone has a revelation from
God that Rev is using words in a non-standard sense, of course there's
no way I can respond to that.  But I think a staightforward reading of
the text is that this passage is referring to Rev. itself.  I am
frankly insulted by the suggestion that people who read the words in
their obvious sense are smuggling in interpretations from elsewhere.

davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) (07/06/89)

In article <Jul.5.02.25.00.1989.10631@athos.rutgers.edu> hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu writes:
>(3) We should look at the whole of Chap 22.  This is not the first
>mention of "the prophecy of this scroll".
Revelation 22:7 tells us "Behold, I come quickly: blessed {is} he that
keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.". If we were to base
our Bible study solely on the book of Revelation we would have an
insufficient basis on which to be sure that we are recipients of God's
blessings because it is not self-explanatory. The book of Revelation,
as is true with any other book in the Bible, can only be adequately
understood when studied in conjunction with the rest of the Bible.
Jesus reminds us in Matthew 4:4 "But he answered and said, It is
written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that
proceedeth out of the mouth of God.". This tells us that we can only
be blessed if we live by the entire Word of God, i.e. the whole Bible.
Since this is impossible for man as we wallow in our imperfections, we
are greatful to learn from the Bible that "he is a rewarder of them
that diligently seek him." (the latter part of Hebrews 11:6). Since we
can only expect God's blessings if we live by His entire Word, the
phrase "the prophecy of this book" can only refer to exactly that, the
entire Bible. There is absolutely no reason to assume, just because we
might want to give ourselves the perception of our having obtained
more liberty by lessening the effect of what God is saying, that that
phrase as used in Revelation 22:18 means anything other than what it
must mean in verse 7 of the same chapter. We must never forget that
God has intentionally hidden His true meaning so that it can only be
gleaned by those whom He has chosen to assist. Proverbs 25:2 tells us
"{It is} the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings
{is} to search out a matter.".

Dave Mielke, 613-726-0014
856 Grenon Avenue
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada