[soc.religion.christian] Predestination and Judgement

hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu (07/08/89)

Unlike some other things I've written, this note does not describe any
final conclusions.  Rather, I'm putting down some reactions I have to
the discussion on predestination.  They certainly lead somewhere, but
I am by no means completely committed to go there.

I propose to deal with both judgement and predestination.  The major
problem with predestination is that it portrays God as judging people
in a way that looks unjust, so we have to look at what is said about
judgement.  I've just taken a glance through most of the NT.  I'm sure
I haven't found everything, but I've tried to get a feeling for what
the various authors had to say about the subject.  Most of the NT is
really rather straightforward: God has called us to a life of loving
obedience.  Those who do are saved.  Those who don't aren't.  Jesus is
unapologetic about talking about people who don't accept his message
ending up in hell.  Rev gives the by now classic portrait of those who
are not in the book of life being thrown into the lake of fire for
eternal torment.  There are some nuances that give slightly different
impressions.  Rev 20 is clear that those who are not saved are in for
eternal torment.  Mat 25 (specifically 41 and 46) says this as well.
Lk 20:27-40 sounds like it is implying that only those who are saved
are resurrected.  Some of Jesus' common reference to "destruction"
could possibly be taken this way as well.  One could (and I have from
time to time) argue that God doesn't punish anyone eternally.  They
either aren't resurrected at all, or they simply cease to exist.  But
I think the obvious reading of the NT is that judgement does involve
punishment.

But beyond this fairly straightforward view, we see signs of something
more complex.  I believe that predestination is tied up with these
concepts.  These things are clearest in Paul, but interestly enough
there are signs of it in Peter as well.  Paul has his share of the
standard preaching about judgement.  There are several lists of bad
actions, with statements that people who do them will never be saved.
But in Romans we see signs of something deeper.

Much of Romans is dealing with the relationship between the Jews and
Gentiles, and in particular with the problem that many of the Jews did
not accept Jesus.  The comments on predestination (centered around Rom
9) are in this context.  At this point Paul makes us privy to what he
says is a secret plan of God.  He says that the Jews decision to
reject Jesus is part of God's plan.  It is (1) his way to provide an
opportunity for the Gentiles to be saved, and (2) that God intended
all to disobey, in order that his mercy to all would be that much
clearer: "In the same way, because of the mercy that you have
received, the Jews now disobey God, in order that they also may now
receive God's mercy.  For God has made all people prisoners of
disobedience, so that he might show mercy to them all." (Rom 11:31-32)

The business about the pots and hardening people (Rom 9:10 ff.) must
be taken in this context.  First, Paul is not talking about hardening
in general, but specifically about the Jews.  And second, he describes
this as part of God's grand plan for saving everyone, including those
who were hardened.  He held off the Jews' salvation in order to get an
opportunity to graft in the Gentiles.  But in 11:25 he tells us the
secret that once this happens, all the Jews will be saved.  Now it is
not entirely clear what is meant by "all" in some of these passages.
It certainly means more than now.  At the moment God has hardened all
but a remnant of the Jews.  In the end this will be reversed, and
"all" of them will be saved.  It may mean all that are still alive at
that point, or simply that it will no longer be a small remnant, but
the whole people.  The point is that it does not necessarily mean
every individual Jew that has ever lived.  To the extent that Paul's
comments about hardening are taken in this context, we need not
necessarily say that Rom 9 teaches a general doctrine of double
predestination.  Rather, he is describing a specific episode of
hardening -- namely the Jews -- and for those specific people it
becomes clear in 11:25 ff. that it was temporary.

However I think if you put this section of Romans in the context of
some of Paul's other comments, you can apply them more generally.  Rom
11:32 is particularly suggestive.  When you take in it the context of
Paul's version of sola fide (from Rom. and Gal., primarily), it is
attractive to think of this as suggesting that his analysis of Jews
and Gentiles is simply a special case of the way God works as a whole.
In order to make it clear that salvation comes entirely from his
grace, God first hardens and judges everyone, and then he saves them.
Thus double predestination does not separate people into two groups,
but applies to every individual.  Everyone is both Esau and Jacob.
First they are convicted of their sin, in order that they can
appreciate that their salvation comes entirely from Christ.  (This is
Karl Barth's interpretation of Rom., by the way, and is also ably
defended by C.K.Barrett in his commentary on Romans.)

There are several passages in other letters that suggest that this
plan applies to all of mankind.  The clearest in I Cor 15:20 ff.
Remember that one common model that Paul uses for Christ is the second
Adam.  He says just as sin came to mankind from one man, so did the
remedy for sin.  But Adam's sin spread to *all* mankind.  Did the
second Adam's salvation?  In Rom 5:12 ff this is not entirely clear.
Paul certainly says that Christ more than makes up for Adam.  But one
could possibly view that he makes up in quality what he lacks in
quantity.  But in I Cor 15, it really seems likely that he meant the
parallism to be complete: "For just as all people die because of their
union with Adam, in the same way all will be raised to life because of
their union with Christ.  But each one will be raised in his proper
order: Christ, first of all; then, at the time of his coming, those
who belong to him.  Then the end will come; Christ will overcome all."
(I Cor 15:22-24) and it goes on to say that death will be defeated and
eventually everything will be united under Christ's headship.  It
sounds to me like eventually God will defeat evil and cleanse all
people.  Those who "belong to Christ" come first, but eventually he
will find a way to get to everyone.  Col 1:20 and Eph 1:9-10 also talk
about God's secret plan that eventually everything will come under
Christ's headship.

Some people believe that Christ's rule will be complete even if some
people end up in hell suffering their just desserts.  But I think Paul
has in mind a more complete victory. There are also hints of a similar
concept in I Pet 3:18-4:6.  This talks about what the Apostle's Creed
calls Christ's descent into Hell.  I Pet says that Christ preached to
those who were in Hell because they had rejected God.  They were given
in effect a second chance.  I Pet 3 mentions specifically the people
who were alive at the time of Noah and rejected God then.  I Pet 4 may
be interpreted more widely.

In conclusion, this analysis suggests two modifications of the ideas
of predestination.  One is to realize that it is not taught in the
abstract.  At least in Rom (which is the primary Biblical reference
for the concept) the hardening is done for a specific purpose, which
is merciful, and it is temporary.  Second is that one can see at least
some hints that Paul and possibly Peter saw a secret hope that God did
not plan for condemnation to be the last word.  Both I Cor and I Pet
suggest that a judgement does happen, and people who have not accepted
Christ do suffer some sort of punishment.  But there are signs that in
the end God finds a way to redeem them.  If this view is accepted,
then one can apply double predestination to everyone, realizing that
everyone is both judged because of sin and saved because of Christ.

davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) (07/13/89)

In article <Jul.8.05.50.28.1989.2595@athos.rutgers.edu> hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu writes:
>judgement.  I've just taken a glance through most of the NT.  I'm sure
One of the mistakes that we all make at one time or another is to fail
to treat the most authoritative thing we have, i.e. the very Word of
God Himself, with the greatest amount of respect which we can find
within ourselves to render. No statement of what God has said in the
Scriptures should ever be based simply on something as small as a
glance. This can lead to misconceptions that we would not tolerate if
others were to take the same approach when reading material which we
ourselves have written. We must compare Scripture with Scripture until
we are sure that we are going to declare something that is not
contradicted by any verse in the entire Bible. 1 Corinthians 2:13
instructs us "Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's
wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual
things with spiritual.".

>really rather straightforward: God has called us to a life of loving
>obedience.  Those who do are saved.  Those who don't aren't.
This may be true, however, without God intervening in our lives none of
us would ever do so. His analysis of us can be found in Romans 3:10-18
where He says "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
They are all gone out of the way, they are together become
unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one. Their throat
{is} an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the
poison of asps {is} under their lips: Whose mouth {is} full of cursing
and bitterness: Their feet {are} swift to shed blood: Destruction and
misery {are} in their ways: And the way of peace have they not known:
There is no fear of God before their eyes.".

>Lk 20:27-40 sounds like it is implying that only those who are saved
>are resurrected. ...
Jesus tells us in John 5:28-29 "Marvel not at this: for the hour is
coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection
of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of
damnation.". The passage in Luke that you refer to is speaking of the
"resurrection of life".

>there are signs of it in Peter as well.  Paul has his share of the
>standard preaching about judgement.  There are several lists of bad
>actions, with statements that people who do them will never be saved.
Unless, of course, one who has done any of them has been saved and God
no longer sees those sins as they have been washed away by the blood of
Christ. Anyone who analyzes himself with total honesty will find traces
of elements of any of those lists in his own life.

>... But in 11:25 he tells us the
>secret that once this happens, all the Jews will be saved.
This verse in no way tells us that all the Jews will be saved after the
Gentiles have been saved. Romans 11:25-26 says "For I would not,
brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be
wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to
Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. And so all Israel
shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the
Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:". Note that
verse 26 does not say "and THEN all Israel shall be saved"; it says
"and SO all Israel shall be saved". If one were to take the liberty of
expanding the language a bit it would read "and in this manner all
Israel shall be saved". This leaves us with what would appear to be a
bit of a contradiction, i.e. all Israel will become saved by keeping
them blinded to the truth. We must realize, therefore, that the phrase
"all Israel" cannot be referring to national Israel. This is confirmed
in Romans 9:6 where we are told "Not as though the word of God hath
taken none effect. For they {are} not all Israel, which are of
Israel:". Romans 2:28-29 tells us "For he is not a Jew, which is one
outwardly; neither {is that} circumcision, which is outward in the
flesh: But he {is} a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision {is
that} of the heart, in the spirit, {and} not in the letter; whose
praise {is} not of men, but of God.". Galatians 3:9 tells us "So then
they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.". Galatians
6:16 says "And as many as walk according to this rule, peace {be} on
them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.". A common misconception
is that God is referring to the earthly nation of Israel whenever He
says Israel, when, in fact, He is referring to His Spiritual Kingdom of
those whom He has saved. This is because the nation of Israel is
something that we can "see", i.e, it is tangible. whereas the Kingdom
of God is intangible. He did not establish earthly Israel and then name
His Kingdom after it; He, rather, set out to establish His Heavenly
Kingdom of Israel and named the earthly nation whom He used as a figure
of it after it.

>... it is
>attractive to think of this as suggesting that his analysis of Jews
>and Gentiles is simply a special case of the way God works as a whole.
>In order to make it clear that salvation comes entirely from his
>grace, God first hardens and judges everyone, and then he saves them.
Wouldn't it be nice if this were really the truth. Be careful never to
fall into the trap of being tempted to believe something merely because
it is attractive. This is Satan's method of luring people into sin.
Paul himself was well aware that what he was telling us was extremely
unpleasant. He tells us in Galatians 1:10 "For do I now persuade men,
or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should
not be the servant of Christ.".

>Thus double predestination does not separate people into two groups,
>but applies to every individual.  Everyone is both Esau and Jacob.
>First they are convicted of their sin, in order that they can
>appreciate that their salvation comes entirely from Christ.  (This is
>Karl Barth's interpretation of Rom., by the way, and is also ably
>defended by C.K.Barrett in his commentary on Romans.)
What an absolute mockery this attempt at an explanation makes of God's
righteousness! With a Gospel that teaches that God will really save
each and every person who has ever lived, He has absolutely no grounds
on which to command us to obey Him.

>There are several passages in other letters that suggest that this
>plan applies to all of mankind.  The clearest in I Cor 15:20 ff.
I suspect you are referring to 1 Corinthians 15:22 which says "For as
in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.". Note the
use of the word "all" in Luke 2:1 which says "And it came to pass in
those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all
the world should be taxed.". Caesar did not in fact tax the whole
world, yet that is exactly what the Scriptures say. God more often than
not uses the word "all" without explicitly qualifying exactly what He
means "all" of. We must search the rest of the Scriptures to resolve
the reference. Using parenthesized qualifications to the Scriptures I
shall illustrate what I believe God is really telling us in 1
Corinthians 15:22. "For as in Adam all (who are in Adam) die, even so
in Christ shall all (who are in Christ) be made alive.". We must be
extremely careful when we say that a given Scripture is the clearest
one that we can find on a given topic.

>Some people believe that Christ's rule will be complete even if some
>people end up in hell suffering their just desserts.  But I think Paul
>has in mind a more complete victory. There are also hints of a similar
>concept in I Pet 3:18-4:6.  This talks about what the Apostle's Creed
>calls Christ's descent into Hell.  I Pet says that Christ preached to
>those who were in Hell because they had rejected God.  They were given
>in effect a second chance.  I Pet 3 mentions specifically the people
>who were alive at the time of Noah and rejected God then.  I Pet 4 may
>be interpreted more widely.
1 Peter 3:18-20 says "For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the
just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death
in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and
preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient,
when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while
the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved
by water.". This Scripture indicates that the saving of those eight
people took place at the time of the flood. Even the writers of the
apostle's creed knew that Christ's descention into hell took place at
the crucifiction. The term "prison" can, therefore, not refer to hell
itself. The Scriptures do, however, describe the unsaved as being in
Satan's prison house. This Scripture is telling us that even back in
Noah's day, i.e. before the crucifiction, people were saved in the same
manner as they are now; they are taught by the Holy Spirit.

One final comment: Any doctrine that hints that a person has a chance
to get out of hell after he has been put into it is in grave violation
with the Word of God. Luke 16:26 tells us (hence refers to heaven and
thence refers to hell) "And beside all this, between us and you there
is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you
cannot; neither can they pass to us, that {would come} from thence.".

Dave Mielke, 613-726-0014
856 Grenon Avenue
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
K2B 6G3

hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu (07/13/89)

In some ways I wish I had passed on Dave Mielke's comments
anonymously.  I have very strong feelings about them, but it's not
entirely about Dave's posting.  His posting is typical of a genre, and
is just sort of the last straw.  My comments are really about the
genre as a whole, and Dave's happens to be the one lying in front of
me.

Certainly there's nothing unexpected or surprising about his
manner.  There is no sign of any uncertainty at all.  Recall that the
original posting was prefaced by a comment saying that I see these
tendencies in Scripture, but I'm not at all sure how far I want to
push it.  On any major subject, such as predestination, there is going
to be evidence on both sides.  Yes, we try to come up with ways of
reconciling it, and fitting everything together.  But there are always
a few pieces left over after we put everything together.  I'd like to
see just a little sign that people realize this.  That is, I'd like
to see some sign of humility in these interpretations.

>>I've just taken a glance through most of the NT. ...
>One of the mistakes that we all make at one time or another is to fail
>to treat the most authoritative thing we have, i.e. the very Word of
>God Himself, with the greatest amount of respect which we can find
>within ourselves to render. No statement of what God has said in the
>Scriptures should ever be based simply on something as small as a
>glance.

Anyone who has read my postings will know that I am quite serious
about these things.  I would appreciate it if people would give others
-- including me -- just a bit of the benefit of the doubt.  I said I
had just taken a glance through the whole NT, not because I knew
nothing about the topic before and didn't think it was worth study,
but because I had studied it so carefully that I had the crucial texts
almost memorized.  I was concerned that I might have lost the forest
for the trees, and wanted to get an overall feel for the approach of
the various authors.

Now for my major comment on Dave's response.  My primary problem with
it is that it follows the classic fundamentalist method of reading
things into the text.  Note by the way that I have seldom complained
about "literal interpretation".  My primary problem with
fundamentalists is that they are not literal enough.  All too often
they adopt interpretations that from my point change the text to say
something that doesn't challenge them.  My claim is that there are
some parts of the Bible that suggest that people will be punished for
ever and some that suggest that they will not.  I'm still not sure how
to reconcile them.  That's why I brought it up for discussion.  There
may be some deeper understanding that will do so.  But I don't think
interpreting away the difficulty is the way to do it.  Let's look:

Lk 20:35-36 says "but the men and women who are worthy to rise from
death and live in the age to come will not then marry.  They will be
like angels and cannot die.  They are the sons of God, because they
have risen from death."  I said that this might be taken to imply that
only the good are resurrected.  (Note by the way that this is a view
that ultimately I did not find convincing.)  Dave dismisses this by
comparing it with John 5:28-29 and saying that what was being referred
to was the resurrection to life, as opposed to the resurrection for
judgement.  This is an interesting distinction, but there is no sign
of it in this passage.  Here Jesus simply says that people are blessed
because they rose.

Next we go to Rom 11:25-26.  Paul says "And this is how all Israel
will be saved."  Again, Dave suggests that we should add a
distinction.  Not visible Israel, but only the spiritual Israel.  But
if this were true, why would Paul have agonized for a chapter over the
implication that the Jews have been rejected?  If we turn this into a
tautology (all of those who are chosen will be saved), it does not
answer Paul's problem.  I think I have to stick with what the text
actually says.  Namely that after all the Gentiles have been saved,
"The Savior will come from Zion and remove all wickedness from the
descendants of Jacob."

Next let's look at I Cor 15:22: "For just as all people die because of
their union with Adam, in the same way all will be raised to life
because of their union with Christ."  Dave suggests that there are
some implied insertions, which he supplies in parentheses: "For as in
Adam all (who are in Adam) die, even so in Christ shall all (who are
in Christ) be made alive."  Again, he has turned a difficult passage
into a tautology, by reading things into it.  We know from Romans that
Adam's sin spread to everyone, and that for that reason everyone dies.
I find it impossible to believe that Paul intended to confine the
damage of Adam's sin to only some people.  So it seems clear that he
also intends Christ's action to be universal.

There are a couple of other texts where the interpretationn depends
upon other details.  But it bothers me to see the regularity with
which a difficult passage is turned into a tautology by reading
something into it.  If I did that, I would (correctly) be lectured on
how lightly I am taking the Word of God.  I am particularly upset to
see no sign whatever of any uncertainty in these interpretations.  I'd
be willing to accept it if Dave admitted that these interpretations
weren't very attractive, but they were the only way he could see to
avoid contradictions.  But they seem completely obvious to him.

So the question remains, how do I deal with the apparent contradiction
between large portions of the NT where various people clearly teach
about a judgement, and these small hints of something else.  In my
opinion the only way to do this without butchering the text is to
maintain the tension.  In Rom 11:25, Paul calls God's final goal a
secret truth.  In my opinion, we must maintain that God will judge us.
The view that occurs in most of the NT has to be accepted.  I have
said in the past that I think it's very dangerous to adopt that view
that everyone is as a matter of principle saved.  It suggests that how
they live does not matter.  There will be a judgement.  And yet.  And
yet.  Somehow the hope remains as a small voice that in the end God
will still find a way to redeem people.  It will not be by saying that
sin is to be ignored.  It will no doubt involve him taking the
consequences onto himself.  There is no reason to think that Paul was
privy to the details of this.  So we're not going to get a nice neat
resolution that wraps up all the details consistently.  I'm not saying
that the Bible is self-contradictory.  I don't think it is.  But I do
think there is a tension there that is not completely resolved, and
probably will not be until we see things "face to face".

I think this is the real difference between me and those we call
themselves believers in inerrancy.  I can live with unresolved issues
in Scripture.  I am very wary of manufacturing an easy consistency by
clever interpretation.

Finally, I'd like to make an observation.  Dave says of the whole
approach I am suggesting: "What an absolute mockery this attempt at an
explanation makes of God's righteousness! With a Gospel that teaches
that God will really save each and every person who has ever lived, He
has absolutely no grounds on which to command us to obey Him."  ???
Are you saying that the only grounds he has to command us to obey him
is that he will throw us in Hell if we don't?  I am willing to listen
to the classic position that Hell is necessary because God has no
alternative.  It is a consequence of creating people with genuine
independence.  God can't simply ignore the fact that people reject
him.  But even if you believe that ultimately God will allow people to
choose hell, surely you believe that his primary call on us is love.
It is my hope that you were overreacting.

davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) (07/15/89)

In article <Jul.13.04.36.44.1989.28929@athos.rutgers.edu> hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu writes:
>Certainly there's nothing unexpected or surprising about his
>manner.  There is no sign of any uncertainty at all.
Perhaps you have not noted comments I have made in other postings
pertaining to the fact that no one of us can ever claim to have even a
near perfect understanding of the Scriptures. I am just as fallable as
anyone else when it comes to being able to correctly interpret every
portion of the Word of God because I, too, suffer from a sin infested
body and mind which can cause all sorts of false illusions. Each and
every one of us, and that does most definitely include myself, must be
very, very careful not to decide that God must have meant something or
other just because it is what we were hoping He would say, it is
something that makes us a bit happier, it is a conclusion that we could
arrive at easily, it seems so obvious, it is something that we couldn't
conceive of being any different, it is something that we don't think
God would or would not do, or it is something that has any other
characteristic other than that it is in complete agreement with
everything else that God has told us. We must never place our own
ability to think above God's ability to have an intention and explain
it to us using whatever terms that He, in HIs infinite wisdom, felt was
the most appropriate.

I am indeed very sorry if my writing style has offended you, or anyone
else for that matter, as my main intention was to be informative. I,
personally, find it fairly difficult to be anything other than emphatic
when I am trying to explain something that I have been overwhealmingly
convinced of because of the total consistency that I observe throughout
the entire Bible. I can feel no less than completely joyous when I have
finally arrived at a scenario that cannot be contradicted by any verse
that I am aware of. I would be very greatful if anyone were to point
out to me even one verse that shows that anything I have said cannot
possibly be true.

You seem to object to the way in which I ascribe meaning to certain
verses. Permit me to take a few moments to explain my rationale. Jesus
has instructed us to enter the Kingdom of God as little children. I am
prepared to believe that He was really referring to babies and not
merely to children who are fairly young. Assuming the attitude of a
baby must mean that we should find ourselves assuming a number of
attributes which, being a parent of six, I have had plenty of time to
boserve. We must, above all, realize that we are completely helpless on
our own, and absolutely incapable of achieving anything of value
through our own efforts. This tells me that I must never say that a
Scripture says either what I think it says or what I would like it to
say. I must, rather, determine exactly what God has meant by it, just
as a baby must learn to determine exactly what his parents are saying
when they begin to speak to him in what is at first a completely
unknown language. The baby must learn to associate words with meanings,
actions, objects, etc.

The Bible is a document that has been written by God Himself; He may
have used imperfect people to do the physical work of putting the
Scriptures together, but I can believe no less than that God would have
insured that His message to us which we are to live by would say no
more and no less than exactly what He intended to say to us. Surely a
God who is capable of putting together this whole universe is capable
of insuring that what He has told us is what He meant. For this reason
I am most certainly one of those believers in the inerrancy of the
Scriptures.

Since God is spiritual in nature, and since He tells us that He is
really primarily concerned with spiritual matters, I must believe with
my whole heart that although the Bible is written in physical language
it must really be telling us spiritual truths. I must therefore
conclude that each physical word, full of all the various limitations
that physical things have, may well be being used in a different way
from that which I, as a physical being, am used to. If this were not
true than God would be unable to even attempt to explain matters of
infinite depth with finite methods. I, therefore, assume the attitude
of a baby even more when reading the Scriptures. An adult might ask
"what does this say", but a baby asks "what are you saying to me" and
doesn't even expect to fully understand the answer to that question.
Each time I come across a word I must not jump to the conclusion that I
know what God meant by it; this approach would limit me to only knowing
the various physical truths which may be behind it. I must do exactly
what a baby does and find out precisely how my Father used that word in
every other instance to insure that I am correctly interpreting Him. An
earthly example of this might be if I, speaking English, heard a French
person say the word "oui". With my English ear I would hear the word
"we" and interpret what he said as a first person plural subjective
pronoun when in fact he meant a word equivalent to the English word
"yes". An English baby eventually learns that the word whose sound is
"we" means "we" whereas a French baby eventually learns that the word
whose sound is "we" means "yes". This is only done through endless
reverifications of what he thinks might be the true meaning of the
word. I was only able to find total consistency throughout the whole
Bible when I started using this approach.

You have objected to my sounding rather emphatic and probably feel that
the preceeding paragraphs have displayed the same attribute. Permit me
to explain that although I have used the word I as though I have some
magic ability to do this sort of thing, that is really not what I
meant. The Scriptures are God's Word and can only be understood by
those whom He has chosen to reveal them to. He also chooses to reveal
only certain Scriptures to certain people at certain times. Each of us
must be immensely thankful to Him for that which he has been granted
the ability to understand. God despises arrogance and any of us who
finds himself displaying this attitude really ought to seriously
question his perceived salvation. My use of the word I was merely a
convenient abbreviation to what would otherwise be a rather long
preamble to every sentence. Although it may be what I do, it is really
what God recommends; I did not make up this approach on my own.

It is also impossible to accurately find spiritual truths in the
Scriptures without constantly praying God for the wisdom and
understanding to do so. Failure to do so would be an attempt to claim
the glory for the acquired understanding for oneself. If this were the
attitude of the Bible reader then he can be assured that God will
likely prevent him from figuring anything out. He may even permit him
to become grossly mislead.

Please permit me to give you another angle with which you can see
consistency within a couple of the verses under discussion. John
5:28-29 speaks of all, both the saved and the unsaved, being raised
from the dead. Luke 20:35 speaks of those who are raised and end up in
heaven. I would like to suggest that John 5:28-29 is speaking of
physical resurrection (it speaks of those who are in the grave),
whereas Luke 20:35 speaks of spiritual resurrection (it speaks of those
who have been counted worthy). God does teach that both types of death
and subsequent resurrection are a reality and we must be careful not to
jump to any conclusions as to how to qualify the terms "death" and
"resurrection" before we are sure that our conclusions are entirely
consistent with the rest of the Scriptures.

Dave Mielke, 613-726-0014
856 Grenon Avenue
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
K2B 6G3

[I didn't mean to accuse you of arrogance.  Just of having a no doubt
unconscious tendency to bend the meaning of texts to produce
consistency.  I can live with it.  --clh]

jamesa@amadeus.la.tek.com (James Akiyama) (07/19/89)

After reading the articles on "Predestination and Judgement" I feels that
more needs to be added.  First, Mr. Hedrick says:

> My primary problem with it is that it follows the classic fundamentalist
> method of reading things into the text.

This, in my opinion, is wrong.  Some fundamentalists may read things into
text, but it is wrong to assume that all do.  I believe in doctrinal inerrancy
and therefore clasify myself as a fundamentalist.  Yet, I'm am perfectly
willing to accept that there are things which are not yet known.  1 Corinthians
13:9-10 says:

    For we know in part, and we prophesy; but when the perfect comes the
    partial will be done away (New American Standard).

1 Corinthians 13:12 continues:

    For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in
    part, but then I shall know fully just as I also have been fully known
    (New American Standard).

In fact, I can't see how a fundamentalist can believe that he can comprehend
everything unless he believe that the perfect has already come (I don't believe
it has).

The distinction "fundamentalist" does not imply "knowing all of Scriptures" but
rather "inerrancy in all of Scriptures as originally penned".  I think this
is key.

Now I realize that some do read things into text.  I do know that from my
limited contact at Western Conservative Baptist Seminary and Multnomah School
of the Bible, both "fundamentalist seminaries", they often times qualify
statements with, "as we understand", or "in my opinion".

With this said, let's look at the passages in question:

First, LUKE 20:35-36

    But those who are considered worthy of taking part in that age and in the
    resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage, and
    they can no longer die; for they are like the angels. They are God's
    children, since they are children of the resurrection (New International
    Version).

Here I read that "the resurrection" is the resurrection of Christ (since "the"
implies "one" or "first" in this context).  Thus, I believe, "children of the
resurrection" is equivalent to the "children of Christ".

Next, in ROMAN 11:25-26

    I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers, so that you may
    not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full
    number of the Gentiles has come in.  And so all Israel will be saved, as it
    is written: "The deliverer will come from Zion; he will turn godlessness
    away from Jacob (New International Version).

This one is more difficult for me.  I agree with Mr. Hedricks that the passage
must be refering to the nation Israel (not the spiritual Israel).  This seems
apparent since the previous passages are clearly referring to the nation
Israel.

One thing I've noted in Scriptures (clearly in the OT; somewhat in the NT) is
Gods love for the people of Israel.  They were, and possibly still are, his
chosen people.  Sure, He's letting Gentiles in, but still there seems to be
something special about Israel and the Jews.  Simply reading Revelations, and
the end times will show that God still bestows a special relationship with
the nation Israel.

I believe that here Christ means that "all of (the nation) Israel will be
saved".  I believe, however, that this does not necessarily imply all of the
people of Israel but rather a large enough portion, so that Israel, as a whole,
will be saved as a nation.

To me, this is no different that in the OT when God mentions Israel as His
chosen, and yet, many were not saved.  Were the unsaved people still His
chosen?  I do not believe so.  Rather the nation itself was chosen; nation
referring to the people as a whole and not individually.

Finally, 1 Corinthians 15:22:

    For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.

On this passage I tend to agree with Dave Mielke more.  I think here, what is
important, is what is meant to be "in Adam" and "in Christ".  I believe all
are "in Adam" being born of the flesh.  To be "in Christ" one must be born
again in the Spirit.   Thus the term "all" is qualified in the first as those
"in Adam" (which includes all of us, since we were all born from flesh to
flesh), while the second includes all born in of Spirit to spirit.  For, what
I believe, a relevent passage:

JOHN 3:6

    Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.

Again, I don't claim to know everything.  This is just my interpretation of
some rough passages.  When reading these, I often times think of a quote made
by Einstein:

   "I see a pattern but my imagination cannot picture the maker of that
    pattern.  I see a clock but I cannot envision the clock maker.  The human
    mind is unable to conceive of four dimensions--how can it conceive of a
    god, before whom a thousand years and a thousand dimensions are as one?"

James E. Akiyama
jamesa@amadeus.LA.TEK.COM
UUCP: ....!tektronix!amadeus.LA.TEK.COM!jamesa
ARPA: @RELAY.CS.NET:jamesa%amadeus.LA.TEK.COM

tytso@athena.mit.edu (Theodore Ts'o) (07/19/89)

In article <Jul.15.04.51.59.1989.610@geneva.rutgers.edu> davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) writes:
>The Bible is a document that has been written by God Himself; He may
>have used imperfect people to do the physical work of putting the
>Scriptures together, but I can believe no less than that God would have
>insured that His message to us which we are to live by would say no
>more and no less than exactly what He intended to say to us. Surely a
>God who is capable of putting together this whole universe is capable
>of insuring that what He has told us is what He meant.

Please do not take for granted this belief that the Bible was "written
by God Himself," as there are many Christians who would take serious
issue with this statement.

I cannot believe that he could insure that the Bible was inerrant ---
because if He could do that, He could also make sure that no one could
ever do any evil.  I cannot see at all how you can reconcile your
statement with my belief that God gave us a free will.  This means that
if one of the Biblical authors really wanted to include a particular
point of dogma, God could not have stopped him.

For example, suppose that Paul was wrong about homosexuality; that one
of his human failings was the fact that he was extremely homophobic.
Even if his views were completely uncharitable and exetremely
distasteful to God, what could He have done?  Well, the Holy Spirit
would have moved within Paul to omit those passages.  But unless the
Holy Spirit is really a Holy Brainwasher, the final choice _must_ lie
with Paul alone, or he would have no free choice in the matter.  I'm
using homosexuality as an extreme example, but the principle holds no
matter what the issue is.

So we see that God could not possibly have influenced the Authors of the
individual books.  Again, his Holy Spirit could have moved within the
hearts of those that chose which books were to be canonized.  But again,
even if there were books that were spiritually and theologically
perfect, if the early Church Fathers decided to include an imperfect
book into the Canon, it would not be possible for God to stop them
without violating their free choice.

In the end, it boils down to whether or not you think the (human,
physical) authors of the books of the Bible and the Church Fathers who
chose which books belonged in the canon are human or not.  In order to
believe that the Bible is inerrant, you either have to believe that they
were infallible --- in which case you are doing the same thing which
most non-catholics abhor: believing that human, finite persons could be
infallible --- or, you have to believe that God raped those peoples'
minds and forced them to write something which was spritually perfect
and without error, in spite of the finitude and human failings.
Unfortunately, I cannot believe either.

(I wish I could!  It would mean that I could turn off my brain and just
blindly follow printed words.  Unfortunately, this means that while the
words of the Bible invaluable --- possibly more valuable than any other
spiritual work --- they still require reason and intelligence to read
and filter and apply them.)
Theodore Ts'o				bloom-beacon!mit-athena!tytso
3 Ames St., Cambridge, MA 02139		tytso@athena.mit.edu
   Everybody's playing the game, but nobody's rules are the same!

[Alternatively, it may be that he *could* have assured that the Bible
was inerrant, just as he *could* have assured that no one would sin,
but for reasons of his own decided not to.  Those who deny inerrancy
don't always do so because they think God was incapable of making the
Bible inerrant.  --clh]

davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) (07/21/89)

In article <Jul.19.02.25.08.1989.16621@athos.rutgers.edu> jamesa@amadeus.la.tek.com (James Akiyama) writes:
>I believe that here Christ means that "all of (the nation) Israel will be
>saved".  I believe, however, that this does not necessarily imply all of the
>people of Israel but rather a large enough portion, so that Israel, as a whole,
>will be saved as a nation.
This comment is referring to Romans 11:25-26 which says "For I would
not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye
should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened
to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. And so all
Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion
the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:".

This cannot be true. I suggest that you have a very close look at
Romans 9:27 which says "Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though
the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a
remnant shall be saved:".

Dave Mielke, 613-726-0014
856 Grenon Avenue
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
K2B 6G3

[The problem with using 9:27 in this context is that may be referring
to the present situation, also described in 11:7-10, where most of
Israel is hardened.  11:25-27 is referring to some time in the future
when God will reverse this.  So I don't think that 9:27 alone will
solve our problem.  Exegesis of 11:25-27 is going to have to be made
on a broader context and understanding of what Paul meant.  --clh]

jhpb@garage.att.com (Joseph H. Buehler) (07/23/89)

Theodore Ts'o wrote:

   In the end, it boils down to whether or not you think the (human,
   physical) authors of the books of the Bible and the Church Fathers who
   chose which books belonged in the canon are human or not.  In order to
   believe that the Bible is inerrant, you either have to believe that they
   were infallible --- in which case you are doing the same thing which
   most non-catholics abhor: believing that human, finite persons could be
   infallible --- or, you have to believe that God raped those peoples'
   minds and forced them to write something which was spritually perfect
   and without error, in spite of the finitude and human failings.
   Unfortunately, I cannot believe either.

You are assuming a relationship between grace and free will here that I
don't find reasonable.

Why can't God have someone infallibly do something without violating
their free will?  Why should He have to violate the nature of His
creatures in order to guide them to their destination?

gross@dg-rtp.dg.com (Gene Gross) (07/23/89)

In article <Jul.13.04.36.44.1989.28929@athos.rutgers.edu> hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu writes:

>On any major subject, such as predestination, there is going
>to be evidence on both sides.  Yes, we try to come up with ways of
>reconciling it, and fitting everything together.  But there are always
>a few pieces left over after we put everything together.  I'd like to
>see just a little sign that people realize this.  That is, I'd like
>to see some sign of humility in these interpretations.

I didn't want this to be taken as a personal attack--so I deleted your
comments about a previous poster.

I have long been amazed at some of the provincial thinking that passes
for theological thought.  Yet when I read the Bible I can understand
some of it.  IMHO, it comes from within the human being.  There seems
to be a need to be Right regardless, so people use our Lord and God and
the Bible as weapons of their righteousness.  God says!  The Bible says!
are the shouts heard.  And if others don't agree, then they must be
blind or worse.

Had I not gone through this myself, I probably wouldn't be sensitive to
it.  Nor would I now have a strong desire to share with other Christians
in a search for a better understanding of Scripture and our Lord and
God.

I deleted a lot of the discussion only  because I have not had the
time to sit down and study the quoted passages in depth.  Also, the only
passages I have are the ones from this post.  I would like to know what
other passages you mean when you said there are others.

>So the question remains, how do I deal with the apparent contradiction
>between large portions of the NT where various people clearly teach
>about a judgement, and these small hints of something else.  In my
>opinion the only way to do this without butchering the text is to
>maintain the tension.  In Rom 11:25, Paul calls God's final goal a
>secret truth.  In my opinion, we must maintain that God will judge us.
>And yet.  Somehow the hope remains as a small voice that in the end God
>will still find a way to redeem people.  I'm not saying
>that the Bible is self-contradictory.  I don't think it is.  But I do
>think there is a tension there that is not completely resolved, and
>probably will not be until we see things "face to face".

One thing that has really struck me is that the Jews seemed to generally
not understand that eventually the Church would come.  We can look back
and in light of the NT and see the Church in the OT.  To the Jews, this
was a "secret truth."  Thus, to me it seems reasonable that we,
Christians, don't know the whole of God's plan.  We often want to think
we do, but as Paul points out "we see through a glass darkly."

As for salvation, I think one of the greatest passages is the one that
tells us that it was faith that saved even the OT folks--not the
sacrifices offered.  Yet, this was only hinted at in the OT--"You do not
delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in
burnt offerings.  The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken
and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise." (Psalm 51:16, 17)

I don't want to over interpret the above passage, but the point remains
that sacrifices were not what saved the Jews--it was their faith in God.
The same holds for us today--our faith in Jesus Christ saves us.  What
does this say for the future and for those you are concerned with in
this posting.  I understand your concern and see how difficult are the
passages you quoted (esp. Luke).   But I see God at work throughout the
history of mankind trying to bring us back to Him.  Therein rests my
hopes for all, that God will continue to work and strive to bring all to
Himself.

Yes, I am aware of the passage that says that God will not always strive
with man to save him.  But when will God quit striving?  5 years from
now?  50 years from now?  1000 years from now?  1,000,000 years from
now?  Does anyone dare to tell God when He will stop striving?

Further, if the Gospel we believe is one of Love and Hope, isn't that
also a key factor here.  I think it is.  So far God has demonstrated His
great Love for mankind through Jesus, and I take Hope from this that God
will work all things together in such fashion as to continue drawing
mankind to Him.  How?  Here I can only fall back on Paul's secret truth.
Maybe not the most satisfactory of defenses, but I simply don't know how
God intends to work everything out.  But I am quite willing to let God
do His thing--my calling isn't to be God's advisor.

If I have caused anyone hurt by the above, I apologize and ask you to
forgive me.  I didn't do deliberately.  If any of you think I'm wrong,
I'm willing to accept such counsel and teaching as you are willing to
give.  My sole desire in all of this is to share what I understand and
to share the Love with you who are called Christians.

>I am very wary of manufacturing an easy consistency by
>clever interpretation.

Is that what I have done?  I hope not.

I recall listening to a man give his testimony one time.  Seems he had
been heavily involved in worshipping Satan.  He found it amusing when
Christians told him that if he didn't change his ways he was going to
Hell.  He found it amusing because as a Satan worshipper that is exactly
where he wanted to go.  What drew him to Christ was the Love.  It was
something he could not understand, why would Jesus love me when I am one
of His biggest enemy?  Now he understands and that is the emphasis of
his ministry.

Peace,

Gene

tytso@athena.mit.edu (Theodore Ts'o) (07/31/89)

[Context:  My claim that you must accept the fact that the authors of
the bibles must either have no free will or were infallible.]

Joeseph Buehler wrote:
>You are assuming a relationship between grace and free will here that I
>don't find reasonable.
>
>Why can't God have someone infallibly do something without violating
>their free will?  Why should He have to violate the nature of His
>creatures in order to guide them to their destination?

If I or anyone else resist His grace, there is no way God can do
anything through that person, let alone something infallible.
Unfortunately, there is no way for anyone but God to know whether or not
a person has perfectly submitted him or herself to His Grace.

Because of this, I refuse to raise to Divine status anything which
depends on anybody's perfect submission to grace --- even my own!  (I
imagine many of the butchers of the Inquisition were convinced they were
doing God's will and full of grace.)  And so I refuse to take as
infallible either the Bible or Pope --- to me, they are the same
expression of the universal desire to have something which finite to be
absolute and beyond question.

Joey Paul has said that without some solid anchor, there would be chaos
in our lives.  I submit that it is this universal fear which causes
people to idolize the Bible.  What then do I use for my authority?
Well, I pray, study the Bible, consult other Christian writers, ask my
pastor for advice, and many other things.  I will readily admit that
this requires much more anguish and soul-searching than blindly
believing some verse just because it can be found in the pages of a book
that happens to be labeled ``The Bible''.

As for the danger Joey pointed out of raising ourselves as idols because
we have to make judgements on what is reliable and what is not:  This is
very true.  However, it is also possible to approach the scriptures with
a humble heart and an awake brain.  ("Let us be as innocent as doves,
and as wise as foxes")  Of course, it goes without saying that you
should also ask the Holy Spirit to help guide you to the truth.  I try
not to introduce my biases into my bible studies, but at least I
recognize that they might exist.  If it is a group bible study, I draw
comfort from the promise that when two or more are gathered in Jesus's
name, there he is amongst us.
Theodore Ts'o				bloom-beacon!mit-athena!tytso
3 Ames St., Cambridge, MA 02139		tytso@athena.mit.edu
   Everybody's playing the game, but nobody's rules are the same!

hwt@watmath.waterloo.edu (Henry Troup) (07/31/89)

It seems to me that the argument that the Bible is inerrent is a tale-
chasing one.
I have easy access to three translations - the King James, the Revised
Standard, and the New English.  The preface to the New English notes that
it is based on a new compliation of Greek and Aramaic sources to the New
Testament, and contains over two thousand changes (from the Revised Standard)
that change the sense of the passage they appear in.

So - what is inerrant? The Greek New Testament - it is the 'original' - but
which physical document - there are many, and they vary.  The King James -
but it is contradicted in places by the New English. The New English - but it
contradicts the King James.

There is no such thing as 'The Bible'. There are books that Roman Catholics
take as canonical that the King James treats as apocrypha - meaning that they
are venerable and worthy of study but not to be taken as the word of God.

Equally, the argument of inspiration is hard for me to swallow.  If God
has inspired every single translator and copyist, then there should be no
conflicting version.

Further, I would then have to submit to the authority of the Pope, who claims
to be infallible (in certain designated pronouncements) because he is inspired
by God - and knows it.

As an Anglican, I do not think that God has exerted very much direct
intervention since 35 A.D.  To believe that God directs everything that
happens, day to day, is hard for me, not because God could not, but because
there is too much that is random, or evil done by man.  To believe that if
good comes from evil, then the evil is God's will is foolish.

utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hwt%bnr-public | BNR is not 	| All that evil requires
hwt@bnr (BITNET/NETNORTH) 	     | responsible for 	| is that good men do
(613) 765-2337 (Voice)		     | my opinions	| nothing.

[The normal definition is that the Hebrew and Greek originals are
inerrant, not any particular edition or translation.  This does
complicate things slightly, since it means that there is an inerrant
Bible, but we don't have it.  However I don't know of any serious
theological issue whose outcome is materially affected by textual
problems.  So in practice it probably doesn't make any difference.
--clh]