[soc.religion.christian] More than just good works

tbvanbelle@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Terry Van Belle) (08/02/89)

In article <Jul.30.22.00.56.1989.962@geneva.rutgers.edu> bnr-fos!bnr-public!hwt@watmath.waterloo.edu (Henry Troup) writes:

>Exactly.  Much of the practice of Christianity, whether it be scripturally
>prescribed or not, is that of a mystery religion.
>
>I find it hard to reconcile those aspects of Christian religion with my
>personal beliefs.  Much wrong has been done in this world by sincere
>Christians, such as the Inquisition, and its successors, right up to
>today.  Medieval inquisitors killed freely, believing that if they saved
>souls, nothing else mattered.

I'm having a lot of trouble with this because it seems to suggest that those
who practise a certain religion define the religion.
If people kill in the name of Christianity, am I forced to reject Christianity,
since I disagree with them?
If you use this as a policy, your beliefs will always be on shaky ground, no
matter what you believe.

>Essentially, I hold that the proper exercise of Christian life is to follow
>God's will on earth, and not to be overly concerned with the next life.  I
>think the parable of the talents could be cited to defend that point of view.
>We are not commanded by Christ (nor even by Paul) to cloister ourselves,
>preserving our souls by isolation but to go forth and work in the world.

I agree with you in essence, but belief in the next life *shouldn't* conflict
with our responsibilities here.  Rather, the promise of heaven should *enhance*
our actions.

>This means that 'liberation theology' is right;

I don't see that this follows.  I'm not terribly familiar with the liberation
theology debate, but I can't see anyone objecting to someone helping their
fellow man.  Isn't the objection in using force to obtain peace?  Any L.T. pros
and cons out there?

						 the duty of Christians is
>to right social wrongs, not to go to church on Sunday and take communion.

Or maybe to do both?

We are Christians because Jesus saved us.  We help our fellow man because Jesus
saved us.  If you lose sight of this, why bother calling yourself a Christian?
You may be a great and compassionate person, but being Christian is something
plus.

Terry Van Belle
tbvanbelle@watcgl.Waterloo.edu
...watmath!watcgl!tbvanbelle