[soc.religion.christian] David Hume and the Fish

muttiah@cs.purdue.edu (Ranjan Samuel Muttiah) (07/23/89)

What were David Hume's arguments against miracles and the age of the
Bible ?

Why did the Greeks call Jesus Ichtus (sp ?) (fish)?

[ichthus is an acrostic in Greek.  It is the initial letters of Ieous
Christos, Theou Uios, Soter (more or less -- I don't guarantee that I
got the spelling right).  Ch and th are single letters in Greek (chi
and theta).  This is Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior.  I don't know
that anyone actually called Jesus that, in the sense of being used as
a name or title.  However certainly the fish was used as a Christian
symbol from the early days.  Someone else will have to answer about
Hume.  I looked through the only Hume I have -- Dialogues Concerning
Natural Religion -- and found no direct answer to your questions,
though I could probably make some pretty good guesses...  --clh]

lisa@mips.com (Lisa Smith) (07/31/89)

In article <Jul.22.18.26.06.1989.26420@athos.rutgers.edu> muttiah@cs.purdue.edu (Ranjan Samuel Muttiah) writes:

>Why did the Greeks call Jesus Ichtus (sp ?) (fish)?
>
>[ichthus is an acrostic in Greek.  It is the initial letters of Ieous
>Christos, Theou Uios, Soter (more or less -- I don't guarantee that I
>got the spelling right). --clh]

Unless I am mistaken, the fish sign for Jesus Christ was first used
by early Christians during the time of persecution.  They were
imprisoned, and figured out that they could make an acrostic of the word
"ichthus."  By drawing a fish, they could let other Christians know who
they were, and find other Christians without fear of persecution.  I
could be way off, but that's what I've heard.  Of course, now you only
see the fish on the back of cars (traveling witness)!

Mike

[I've heard this as well.  As far as I know, it is purely speculation.
Anybody have hard evidence? --clh]

nlt@macbeth.cs.duke.edu (N. L. Tinkham) (08/04/89)

Ranjan Samuel Muttiah asks:

> What were David Hume's arguments against miracles and the age of the
> Bible ?

     The strongest of Hume's arguments in section X ("of miracles") in
_An_Inquiry_Concerning_Human_Understanding_ is as follows:

     1)  "A wise man...proportions his belief to the evidence."  When
attempting to discern the truth of some proposed statement of fact, one must
base belief on the evidence of the senses.  Such evidence is not infallible;
one will accept or reject the truth of statements with a certain probability,
that probability being based on the amount of evidence supporting the statement
as contrasted with the amount refuting it.

      ( As a note, while this is a plausible description of the role of
experimental evidence in verifying scientific theories, it is not the only
such description; Karl Popper's model, for instance, comes to mind as an
alternative. )

     2)  The use of human testimony in support of belief should follow similar
guidelines:  our expectation of a given person's testimony being true should
be based on our past experience of testimony and truth occurring together under
similar conditions in the past.  "Evidence" here would include evidence of the
truthfulness of human testimony in general and of this person's reliability in
particular, the degree to which the event being testified to is in accordance
with other evidence we have about the world, and so on.

     3)  "A miracle is [by definition] a violation of the laws of nature; and
as a firm and unalterable experience has established these laws, the proof
against a miracle, from the very nature of the fact, is as entire as any
argument from experience can possibly be imagined."  That is, since a "law
of nature" is the name we give to events that always (or almost always), in
human experience, occur together, if we define "miracle" to be a conjunction
of events contrary to such a pattern, then *by definition* there is very
powerful evidence against any miracle.

     ( I can think of alternative ways to define "miracle", but Hume's is
indeed one that I hear frequently, including in Christian circles, so he is
not attacking a straw man. )

     Therefore, 4) "If the falsehood of [a witness' testimony] would be more
miraculous than the event which he relates, then, and not till then, can he
pretend to command my belief or opinion."  The obvious implication is that
Hume is not holding his breath awaiting such a flawless witness.

     To summarize, since belief should be held in proportion to evidence, and
since miracles are by definition events which occur contrary to overwhelming
evidence of past events, justified belief in a miracle based on human testimony
would require that that testimony meet an impossibly high standard of
reliablity.

     Hume does not here argue that miracles are impossible, merely that I have
insufficient reason to believe others' testimony of them.  It is worth noting,
for instance, that if we ask "but suppose that a miracle *did* occur, and I
didn't see it, and someone told me about it?", if I follow Hume's advice, I
will make the error of disbelieving the report.  Even so, given that certain
religions (mine, for instance) relies heavily on testimony of witnesses to
miracles, the argument raises points worth considering.

"If you've done six impossible things this morning,     Nancy Tinkham
 why not round it off with breakfast at Milliways,      nlt@lear.cs.duke.edu
 the Restaurant at the end of the Universe?"            rutgers!mcnc!duke!nlt