[net.music] use of Fairlight

gtaylor@lasspvax.UUCP (Greg Taylor) (08/05/85)

In article <1411@peora.UUCP> jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) writes:
>I don't think this is true. (For one thing, I don't believe the Fairlight
>CMI has a sequencer per se, in the sense that pre-digital synthesizers did
>(although you will note from some recent comments in here that many of the
>synthesizer "experts" out there have never used an analog synthesizer).)

So sorry, but the Fairlight has a very *nice* sequencer option called
"Page R" (it's been a while since I've fooled with it, but I think that's
the name....either that or that's the name of the sampler option and the
other one is Page (something).

I'm assuming that a sequencer here is something that can "memorize" and
output a sqeuence of control parameters. Mine has knobs, theirs doesn't.
But it *do* the same thing.

Back to the KB blather already in progress.
I recognize no method of living that I know/I see only the basic materials I mayuse./If you ask me, I may tell you/It's bee this way for years. -David Sylvian
USENET:		{cmcl2,decvax,ihnp4}!cornell!lasspvax!gtaylor
ARPANET:	gtaylor@lasspvax.arpa
BITNET:		gtaylor@crnlthry.bitnet
Gregory Alan Taylor:162 Clark Hall:Cornell University:Ithaca,NY 14850:USA

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (08/08/85)

> So sorry, but the Fairlight has a very *nice* sequencer option called
> "Page R" (it's been a while since I've fooled with it, but I think that's

Well, what I meant here, actually, was that the Fairlight does the
"sequencer" function under control of a computer (an inherently sequential
device!).  I was referring to the ancient sequencers that simply output
a control signal sequentially on one of a whole row of control jacks, one
after the other, which you then connected to the control inputs on various
synthesizer modules on this massive array of modules to cause it to do
something at the prescribed time.
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (08/12/85)

>>So sorry, but the Fairlight has a very *nice* sequencer option called
>>"Page R" (it's been a while since I've fooled with it, but I think that's

> Well, what I meant here, actually, was that the Fairlight does the
> "sequencer" function under control of a computer (an inherently sequential
> device!).  I was referring to the ancient sequencers that simply output
> a control signal sequentially on one of a whole row of control jacks, one
> after the other, which you then connected to the control inputs on various
> synthesizer modules on this massive array of modules to cause it to do
> something at the prescribed time. [ROSKOS]

That's exactly what a computer-based digital synth sequencer simulates.
It just uses "virtual" patchcords instead of wires cluttering up your
living room.  And thank goodness for that!!!
--
"to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best night and day
 to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human