[soc.religion.christian] Was:DOES GOD Hate Sinners, Now: Esau

COSC2U2@uhvax1.uh.edu (08/19/89)

The moderator writes:
>   . . .
> Rom 9:13 does quote Mal 1:3, where the
> Lord says he hates Esau.    --clh]

Actually, the Lord doesn't hate Esau. Esau WAS NOT a total washout.
The Lord PREFERRED Jacob to Esau ! (This is a Hebraism used to express
preference) [Yes, I am yanking a quote out of context, but I have a
good reason.]

What did Esau inherit? He was the grandfather of Kennaz, father of the
Kennazites, the most famous of which was Caleb. Caleb became the father
of the Carmelite Jews. Esau also fathered the nation of Edom, whose
members had the right to join an assembly of Yaweh (The Egyptians
had to wait 3 generations, were not nearly so favored). True, Esau
had his dark side, and fathered the Amelekites who had to be anihilated.
By an large, Esau/Edom was not particularly cursed until Obadiah. Even
then, God promised that a remnant of them would be spared near the end
of Amos (Be careful here, some Septuagint-based translations will say
instead that a remnant of Mankind will be spared. I am very fond of the
Septuagint, but I think the context will make it clear that it errs here).
The Edomite Royal line marries the single surviving female of the Macabee
High Priestly line. With the represenative of the Davidian Royal line
being deported shortly after and probably because of Haggai several
decades before, the Herodian descendants become the Kings of Israel.
Yes, Esau even inherits the Kingship of Israel, albeit a wicked dynasty.
Of course, the Herods force assimilation of the Edomites by the Jews,
ending the Edomite nation. Nothing was recorded of them after Titus.

What is the point? The blessings of a man in Esau's time period, aside
from possesions, etc., were the fortunes of his descendants. Esau came up
loser relative to Jacob. Esau, when compared to other people, comes up winner.
When compared to Reuben or Simeon, what happens? Reuben, who committed incest
with his half-mother, looses the Priesthood (which goes to Levi), the double
share of property (which goes to Joseph), the Leadership Authority (which goes
to Benjamin for a time, and eventually to Judah and Joseph), and the Messiah
(to Judah). Reuben will always be first, but never foremost. Reuben is the
first to be deported (I Chronicles 5), and remains near a river in Armenia where
"he still remains". If Reuben is to be first, this did not confer any
benifit to the persecuted Armenians (assuming that the Reubenites became
Armenians, not really a necessary article of faith) in World War I, possibly
foreshadowing the Jewish Persecution of World War II, but not being foremost
may be a blessing in these circumstances. Even less good, though fortunately
less evil, came of Simeon. Simeon, with his brother Levi, massacred a whole
town, where Billy the Kid would have been content just to panic a town. The
descendants of Simeon were scattered throughout Judah. Their only blessing
is to survive submerged in the tribe of Judah. Simeon lost everything that
Reuben lost because of his murders, i.e., property, Priesthood, etc.

Next time you hear Esau being harshly judged, remember that he did forgive
his brother when his brother had difficulty forgiving himself. Granted,
he did not value his birthright above a bowl of lentil soup. Still, he does
not deserve total contempt for this. Did he not get more consideration than
two of the sons of Jacob? Is not Forgiveness essential to the Christian
Religion?

--ceb