[soc.religion.christian] Marriage as Model

iba@ics.uci.edu (Wayne Iba) (09/01/89)

I would like to make two points pertaining to the ongoing discussion of
husbands, marriage, and submission.  Both are prompted by a recent posting
from Peter Berghold.  His points were well taken but I would like to go
a few steps further with them.

In article <Aug.29.03.22.22.1989.21089@athos.rutgers.edu> plb@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (peter.l.berghold,hr,) writes:
>					.   If the husband is doing his
>part then the wive's part in this SHOULD happen automatically.

In an earlier posting of mine, I said something to the effect that "if the
husband is truely practicing the command in Eph 5:25, then the wife's
submission _will_not_be_a_stumbing_block_.  I believe we must be careful
not to think that things will magically work out.  God loves us with a
perfect Love and yet how often do we refuse to submit, reject his love,
and go our own way, etc.

Of equal importance, we must note that this does not just apply to husbands
loving their wives.  It seems to be a symptom of the times we are in, but
I see _many_ more godly wives loving their husbands who are flakes than
the other way around.  The point is that one's love for another will not
necessarily bring the other around to a right place in God.  But it will
allow Christ to reign in our lives which is the ultimate purpose anyway.

>To the folks out there that object to the wording "submit", I feel that you do
>not understand how it is meant.   It does not mean to give up your rights as a
>human being.  It does not mean to become a slave or less of a person.
>
> { Good points on submission and joint heirs in Christ deleted }

My second point relates to the use of the term rights in the above statement.
I believe that _as_christians_ we need to give up our rights (let alone as
partners in marriage).  Christ did not consider equality with God to be
grasped but humbled himself, giving up all his rights and dieing on the cross.
We are not hired workers for God but bond-servants, giving up all rights
and trusting in our good master.  Our old self demands its rights but our
new nature exists only to bring glory to God.

{ I'm sorry this second point is not more carefully formulated.  I know there
  are scriptural references that could be put together to better make the
  point.  The ideas are still solidifying for me so I havn't been able to
  bring such references together.  Hopefully most of you have already come
  to realize this point long ago and can bare with me; but if someone feels
  I am out of line with scripture here, please let me know. }

--wayne (iba@ics.uci.edu)