[soc.religion.christian] Easter

jygabler@ucdavis.edu (Jason Gabler) (09/11/89)

Atleast Christmas has a decent name ;) ....

Isn't the name "Easter" a decendent of the name of the Babylonian
god Ishtar?  I heard that in my church back home.  For that reason we call
Easter: "Ressurection Day".
Does anyone have any information on the "Ishatar" business?

Thanx,

Jason Gabler
DataCommunications,Computing Services UCDavis,  Davis, Ca.
ccjason@castor.ucdavis.edu	jygabler@ucdavis.edu	edu!ucdavis!jygabler

[Webster's Collegiate says Easter, ME ester, from OE eastre; akin to
OHG ostarun (pl) Easter; both from the the prehistoric WGmc name of
a pagan spring festival. akin to OE east east

However I think most Christians use the term Easter to mean the day
when Jesus was raised.  Presumably words mean what they people who use
them mean, not what their Old High German roots meant 1000 year ago.

--clh]

rock@sun.com (Bill Petro) (09/13/89)

jygabler@ucdavis.edu (Jason Gabler) writes:

>Atleast Christmas has a decent name ;) ....

>Isn't the name "Easter" a decendent of the name of the Babylonian
>god Ishtar?  I heard that in my church back home.  For that reason we call
>Easter: "Ressurection Day".
>Does anyone have any information on the "Ishatar" business?

EASTER

The most joyous of Christian festivals, and one of the first celebrated
by the Christians, commemorates the resurrection of Jesus Christ, on
the first Sunday after the full moon following the vernal equinox.  The
English word "Easter" corresponding to the German "Oster", reveals the
association of many Easter customs with those of the Teutonic tribes of
central Europe.  When Christianity reached these people it incorporated
many of their heathen rites into the great Christian feast day.  Easter
month, corresponding to our April, was dedicated to Eostre, or Ostara,
goddess of the spring.  There was in common the time of spring and the
triumph of life over death.

The practice of eating eggs on Easter Sunday and giving them as gifts
to friends and children probably arose because, in the earlier days of
the church, eggs were forbidden food during Lent (the 40 days before
Easter) and were therefore always eaten on Easter Sunday.  But the
custom of coloring eggs goes back to the ancient Egyptians and
Persians, who practiced this custom during their spring festival.

The Easter hare, or bunny, comes from antiquity as well.  The hare is
associated with the moon in the legends of of ancient Egypt.  It
belongs to the night when it comes out to feed.  It is born with its
eyes opened and, like the moon, is "the open-eyed watcher of the
skies".  Through the fact that the Egyptian word for hare, "un", means
also "open" and "period", the hare became associated with the idea of
periodicity, both lunar and human, and so became a symbol of fertility
and of the renewal of life.  As such, the hare became linked with the
Easter, or paschal, eggs.  In the U.S. the Easter rabbit is fabled to
lay the eggs in the nests prepared for it or to hide them for the
children to hide.

Although Easter was celebrated very early in the church, its date was
not established until A.D. 325 when Constantine convened the council at
Nicea, where it was decided that it should be observed on the first
Sunday after the full moon following the vernal equinox, to be fixed
each year at Alexandria, then the center of astronomical science.  This
means that its date may vary as much as 35 days!

		  Bill Petro, your friendly neighborhood historian

     Bill Petro  {decwrl,hplabs,ucbvax}!sun!Eng!rock
"UNIX for the sake of the kingdom of heaven"  Matthew 19:12

conan@oreo.berkeley.edu (09/13/89)

With regards to Easter being descended from a word in German meaning an
ancient pagan festival, it is interesting to note that in French, the
word for Easter is Paques, which also is used for Passover.  However, as
I am sure Humpty-Dumpty would agree, words mean what you want them to.

Pax et Bonum

David Cruz-Uribe, SFO

[Is English unique in the Pagan origins for the word?  In Russian
Easter is Pascha, i.e. Passover.  --clh]

mls@cbnewsm.att.com (09/15/89)

> Is English unique in the Pagan origins for the word?  In Russian
> Easter is Pascha, i.e. Passover.  --clh

The only other exception I know is German, which of course does the
"same" thing English does, Easter is cognate to German Oster.  I would
guess that some other Germanic languages do the same.  But outside of
these, I am unaware of any name for the feast that is not derived from
Hebrew Pesach.

Which itself is an interesting point; maybe only the Germanic tribes
HAD any such spring feast for which the Christian celebration could be
easily substituted.  Certainly there is no Greek or Roman feast that
can easily be seen as a "pagan model" for paschal celebration.  There
is some relationship much further back between the Jewish Pesach and
the ancient Mesopotamian New Year festival, so that those who have to
have pagan roots for these things can "trace" them there (this may
explain the odd identification between Germanic Eostre and Mesopotamian
Ishtar, which have no other connection besides a punning association of
sound.)

Incidentally, the Nicean Easter dating is not pure invention -- it was
a compromise position in a battle of when (and what) to celebrate that
goes back to at least the middle of the 2nd century (Irenaeus has some
remarks on the controversy between Rome and the Asian "quartodecimans.")
There were some theological issues in this dispute, but as far as I can
see, the main problem was that Rome was unable to understand a lunar
calendar and had developed its own dating with only the most tenuous
relation to the facts.  Rome eventually gave in to demands for a tie-
in with the moon, but won its case for celebrating on a Sunday.  And
as long as I'm rambling on -- most Christian cultures name the first
day of the week "The Lord's Day" (Dominica) or something analogous,
not with the name of an astral deity.
--
Michael L. Siemon		I say "You are gods, sons of the
cucard!dasys1!mls		Most High, all of you; nevertheless

[The Russian word for Sunday is literally "resurrection", which is of
course liturgically correct: every Sunday is a celebration of the
Resurrection.  --clh]

malton@csri.toronto.edu (Andrew Malton) (09/18/89)

This discussion about words for Easter suffers from a lack of data.

Polish is a counter-example: they call Easter `great night'. The
Byzantine Catholics do so too, at least it was called that in a
English-language Byzantine missal I saw once.

We should ask about early Christian communities not missionized by
the Romans. Coptic? Ethiopic? Whatever language the Nestorian church
used in India?

[Any idea what the derivation of "great night" is?  Sounds like
it might be a reference to the Easter vigil.  --clh]