[soc.religion.christian] SOM

sjreeves@eedsp.gatech.edu (Stan Reeves) (09/20/89)

Should the "cut off one's hand, pluck out one's eye" in the Sermon on the
Mount be taken literally?  Well, sorta.  I think Jesus was saying that if
sin could be traced to a particular locality in the body, that it would be
better to remove that part of the body than to sin.  I believe Jesus was
that serious about people dealing with the sin in their lives.  The problem
with actually carrying this out is, as Darren Provine pointed out, that sin
can never really be traced to a particular part of the body.  A blind man
would still lust, and a thief would still covet.  Getting rid of sin just
isn't that simple.  If it were, though, I believe Jesus would have wanted
us to take even these radical measures to get rid of it.

The general principle is this -- we should be committed to doing whatever
it takes to remove the sin from our lives.  Sometimes even a legitimate
thing can become a source of stumbling in our lives.  Jesus said that we
need to be ready to get rid of things that cause us to stumble -- even
those things that may be good or neutral in and of themselves.

Stan Reeves

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (09/23/89)

In article <Sep.20.04.23.51.1989.19732@athos.rutgers.edu> sjreeves@eedsp.gatech.edu (Stan Reeves) writes:

>The general principle is this -- we should be committed to doing whatever
>it takes to remove the sin from our lives.  Sometimes even a legitimate
>thing can become a source of stumbling in our lives.  Jesus said that we
>need to be ready to get rid of things that cause us to stumble -- even
>those things that may be good or neutral in and of themselves.

And we should also avoid what causes others to stumble -- even if those
things may be good or neutral in and of themselves.  Note Paul's
comments:

	All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything
	that causes someone else to stumble.  It is better not to eat
	meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your
	brother to fall. (Romans 14:20b-21)

	Be careful, hovever, that the exercise of your freedom does not
	become a stumbling block for the weak. ... Therefore, if what I
	eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat
	again, so that I will not cause him to fall. (I Cor. 8:9,13)

--
Geoff Allen                  \  Since we live by the Spirit,
{uunet,bigtex}!pmafire!geoff  \  let us keep in step with the Spirit.

fullmer@dover.sps.mot.com (Glen Fullmer) (09/25/89)

Stan Reeves says:

>  Should the "cut off one's hand, pluck out one's eye" in the Sermon on the
>  Mount be taken literally?  Well, sorta. I believe Jesus was
>  that serious about people dealing with the sin in their lives.  The problem
>  with actually carrying this out is, as Darren Provine pointed out, that sin
>  can never really be traced to a particular part of the body.

Can't sin be traced to the brain?
i.e.  "If your brain offends thee cut it out!"

You go first!

--
 ___    _  "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence"
{__/   //  "over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled."