[soc.religion.christian] A Tribute to the German Resistance on the Aniversery of WWII

COSC2U2@uhvax1.uh.edu (09/01/89)

A Tribute to The German Resistance on the Aniversery of World War II.

   I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the many brave
Christainity-Inspired German Patriots who resisted Hitler, saved many
lives, lessened the attrocities, attempted Tyrannicide, and generally
sacrificed their lives for Germany, for the World, and for God.

   I acknowledge these men individually. The list is by no means complete:

THE ABWEHR/GERMAN MILITARY INTELLIGENCE

    Admiral Wilhelm Canaris - Chief of Military Intelligence. Recruited
      many Jews from Concentration Camps to deliver messages to the
      Free World. His 1938 attempt to arrest Hitler was foiled
      at the last minute by Chamberlain's Appeasement. Hung in Flossenburg.

    General Hans Oster - Second in Command in the Abwehr. Architect of most
      of the Tyrannicide attempts. Tipped off Swiss, Belgians, and Norwegians
      of Nazi intent. Hung in Flossenburg.

    Hans Gisivius - Former Gestapo Agent who left to serve in the Foriegn
      Office at Switzerland because of his abhorrance to attrocities, and
      because of a Death Threat from Heydrich-Suss. Ranking Surviving member
      of the Abwehr. A July 20th Conspiritor.

    Dietrich von Bonhoeffer - Pastor, Writer, and Agent. Critic of the Churches
      in Germany who compromised Doctrines to suit the needs of the Government.
      Used Foreign Contacts to enlist the aid of the British. Hung at
      Flossenburg.

    Hans Mueller - Agent who kept lines of communication open to the British
      through the Vatican.

    Hans von Dohnanyi - Half-Jewish Brother-in-Law to Bonhoeffer. Oster's right
      hand man. Hung at Flossenburg.

    Paul Thummel - Agent A-54 of Czech underground. Holder of Gold Nazi Party
      Badge. Abwehr Agent. Because of a crisis involving him and Canaris, the
      Czech underground ambushed Heydrich-Suss. Died in Concentration Camp.

GESTAPO

    Arthur Nebe- Concentration Camp Commander. Attempted to mitigate Nazi
      Policies at great personal risk, according to Gisivius and Schlabrendorf.
      July 20th Conspiritor. Apparently missing after the war.

    Count von Helldorf- Police Chief of Berlin and former boss of Gisivius.
      July 20th Conspiritor. Executed.

OBERCOMMANDO WEHRMACT/OKW

    General Ludwig von Beck - A Chief of General Staff who resigned in protest
      to Nazi Policy. July 20th Conspiritor. Died in Coup attempt.

    Col. Hennig von Treskow - Planter of March 4th bomb. Suicide in July 20th
      Conspiricy to avoid informing on friends.

    Col. Fabian von Schlabrendorf - Senior OKW survivor of July 20th
      Conspiricy. Retrieved March 4th bomb. Miraculously acquited of
      Tyrannicide in People's Court after allied bombing raid killed
      the judge. Sent to Flossenburg, but missed his hanging through
      administrative oversight. Liberated.

    Col. Klaus von Stauffenberg - July 20th assassin. Scion of Catholic
      nobility who declared that he could not know happiness unless he
      tried the tyrannicide. Executed in Coup attempt.

    General von Stuelpenagel - Military Governor of France who led the
      revolt of the French Occupation Forces in July 20th Putsch. Executed.

CIVILIANS

    Julius Leber - Labor leader whose arrest precipitated July 20th attempt,
      and Stauffenberg's choice for next German Premier. Executed Jan. 1945.

    Helmuth von Moltke - Abwehr Legal Council who advised adherance to lawful
      behavior of occupation forces to curtail partisan activity. July 20th
      Conspiritor. Executed.

    Hjalmar Horace Greely Schact - Former President of Reichs Bank. Responsible
      for stopping 1923 Inflation. Contact with Gisivius to pass secrets to
      allies. Sent to Concentration Camp where he was Liberated. Acquitted
      at Nuremburg of War Crimes.

   Carl Goerdeler - Lord Mayor of Leipzig, the would-be Thomas Jefferson of
      Germany. The War cost him his 2 sons. He was concerned
      with writing the new Constitution, recruiting Military
      Leaders, and the Postwar Punishment of Hitler Regime
      Criminals. Executed.

AMERICANS

    William J. Donovan - Contact and rescuer of Gisivius. Lent moral support to
      July 20th attempt. Gisivius testified against Goering and for Schact at
      Nuremburg as a result of his intervention

Sources:

  Hohne - Canaris
  Gallant - Operation Valkurie
  Schlabrendorf - Germans against Hitler
  Gisivius - To the Bitter End

kriz@spica.usc.edu (Dennis Kriz) (09/04/89)

To that I'd like to add:

Martin Niemuller, one of the leaders of the Confessing Church (the independent
Lutheran Church) who proclaimed that "No Human Fuhrer Could Stand Himself Up
Above The Word of God."

There weren't enough Niemullers, and Niemuller himself was the one who the
famous epitaph to the Nazi-era is attributed:

"When they went after the Communists,
 I did not stand up, I was not a Communist."
"When they went after the Jews,
 I did not stand up, I was not Jewish"
"When they went after the Catholics,
 I did not stand up, I was Protestant"
"When they went after me,
 there was no one left to stand up."

But in fairness, Niemuller did a *lot*  He and Bonhoeffer were the Sakharovs
of their time.  And the Lutherans who formed the Confessing Church, were
already assembling in 1934, when in January of that year, the Protestants of
Germany issued the Barmen Declaration, that layed down the clear understanding
that Ceasar is not God.

dennis

mike@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) (09/07/89)

In article <Sep.4.05.55.14.1989.25645@athos.rutgers.edu> kriz@spica.usc.edu (Dennis Kriz) writes:

>To that I'd like to add:
>
>Martin Niemuller, one of the leaders of the Confessing Church (the independent
>Lutheran Church) who proclaimed that "No Human Fuhrer Could Stand Himself Up
>Above The Word of God."
>
>There weren't enough Niemullers, and Niemuller himself was the one who the
>famous epitaph to the Nazi-era is attributed:
>
>"When they went after the Communists,
> I did not stand up, I was not a Communist."
>"When they went after the Jews,
> I did not stand up, I was not Jewish"
>"When they went after the Catholics,
> I did not stand up, I was Protestant"
>"When they went after me,
> there was no one left to stand up."

Also, Bonhoeffer (sp?) and Neimuller were jointly involved in an attempt to
assinate Hitler long before the putsch in 1943.  It was for that conspiracy
that Bonhoeffer was hung.

Also, my text of Neimuller's poem is as follows:

In Germany, they first came for the communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a communist.
Then they came for the jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the homosexuals, and I didn't speak up
because I wasn't a homosexual.
Then they came for the catholics, and I didn't speak up
because I was a protestant.
Then they came for me ---
but by that time there was no one left to speak up.

                                    -- Pastor Martin Neimoller

Allowing for differences in translation there is still a line
missing in your version.  Interesting.

--
    Michael I. Bushnell      \     This above all; to thine own self be true
LIBERTE, EGALITE, FRATERNITE  \    And it must follow, as the night the day,

AS.CEC@stanford.bitnet (Charlie Channel, Jr.) (09/13/89)

Why is it that the persecution of Jehovah's Witnesses in Nazi
Germany is NEVER considered or mentioned.  They were among the first
Christians to be sent to the camps and collectively persecuted for
adhereing to Bible principles and the example set by Christ.

While you consider why they do not believe in the Trinity, a subject
that has not been without dispute from the early history of
Christianity when the WTBTS did not even exist, you may want to
speculate on why they did not join Hitler and his thugs and their
fellow citizens of professed "Christian" faiths, both Catholic and
Protestant, in dastardly acts against humanity.

Charlie

horton@b11.ingr.com (Mac Horton) (09/23/89)

In article <Sep.1.04.11.42.1989.19946@athos.rutgers.edu> COSC2U2@uhvax1.uh.edu writes:
>A Tribute to The German Resistance on the Aniversery of World War II.
>
>   I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the many brave
>Christainity-Inspired German Patriots who resisted Hitler, saved many
>lives, lessened the attrocities, attempted Tyrannicide, and generally
>sacrificed their lives for Germany, for the World, and for God.

	I'm sorry I can't give the details, but a friend of mine told me
this story while we were driving somewhere and I can't conveniently
research it.  There was apparently a small clandestine resistance group
called the White Rose which was formed by two Catholic students (who I
believe were brother and sister).  The group was discovered, arrested,
and executed eventually.  Can anyone else supply the whole story?

--
Mac Horton @ Intergraph	| horton@ingr.COM  |  ..uunet!ingr!horton
--

conan@jell-o.berkeley.edu (09/25/89)

In article <Sep.23.03.33.30.1989.15400@athos.rutgers.edu> horton@b11.ingr.com (Mac Horton) writes:

>	I'm sorry I can't give the details, but a friend of mine told me
>this story while we were driving somewhere and I can't conveniently
>research it.  There was apparently a small clandestine resistance group
>called the White Rose which was formed by two Catholic students (who I
>believe were brother and sister).  The group was discovered, arrested,
>and executed eventually.  Can anyone else supply the whole story?

I don't remember any details either; however, if I recall correctly the
story of this and other resistence groups is documented in W. Shirer's
book: _The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich_.

Yours in Christ,

David Cruz-Uribe, SFO

ecl@mtgzy.att.com (Evelyn C Leeper) (09/27/89)

[In article <Sep.23.03.33.30.1989.15400@athos.rutgers.edu>
horton@b11.ingr.com (Mac Horton) asked about a Catholic resistance group
called the White Rose.  --clh]

There was a West German film (1962) entitled THE WHITE ROSE that portrayed this
group.  Having not seen the film, I can't comment on it, but Mark Leeper
thought it very well done.

Evelyn C. Leeper  |  +1 201-957-2070  |  att!mtgzy!ecl or  ecl@mtgzy.att.com
--
If I am not for myself, who is for me?  If I am only for myself what am I?
And if not now, when?  --Hillel