[soc.religion.christian] humor and the Bible

fullmer@dover.sps.mot.com (Glen Fullmer) (09/18/89)

Some have mentioned "His humorous utterances" that appear in the
Bible.  I would like to hear from those who have read the Bible looking
for humorous passages.  One of the attributes that I treasure most in
people is their ability to laugh at themselves, why shouldn't God have
this attribute?  Maybe one has to sin before he can be humorous?
--
 ___    _  "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence"
{__/   //  "over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled."

hall@vice.ico.tek.com (Hal Lillywhite) (09/23/89)

In article <Sep.17.13.22.15.1989.11556@athos.rutgers.edu> alfalfa!fullmer@dover.sps.mot.com (Glen Fullmer) writes:

>Some have mentioned "His humorous utterances" that appear in the
>Bible.  I would like to hear from those who have read the Bible looking
>for humorous passages.  One of the attributes that I treasure most in
>people is their ability to laugh at themselves, why shouldn't God have

I haven't read the Bible specifically looking for funny stories.
However I do like the account in Acts 12:

	Peter is in the slammer.  An angel helps him escape.

	Peter goes to Mary's house where many disciples are meeting.
	He knocks on the door.

	A young woman named Rhoda answers but when she recognizes
	Peter's voice she is so excited she runs and tells the
	congregation, forgetting to let Peter in.

	Upon hearing the news do the rest of the disciples open the
	door?  or do they at least check to see if Rhoda is right?
	No, they leave Peter to cool his heels outside while they
	argue about whether it is really Peter.

Hal Lillywhite		"When a man demands proof, you can be sure
hall@vice.ICO.TEK.COM	 that proof is the last thing he really
			 wants."
				Hugh Nibley

palosaari@oxy.edu (Jedidiah Jon Palosaari) (09/27/89)

The Living Bible translation has an interesting venacular throughout, but
I recall one really great passage (somewhere in Acts, I believe) where Peter
and another apostle are brought before the Sanhedrian for one of the first
times after Christ's death/resurrection.  While the Sanhedrian are discussin
g what to do with these heretics, one of them speaks up and says that the
disciples will have to stop, or else "we'll really have to throw the book at
them."