[soc.religion.christian] Counter Dominion

john_r@uunet.uu.net (John Rushing) (09/27/89)

Barry O Olson writes in regards to postmillenial/reconstruction theology:

>I've been reading somewhat on dominion theology. To me, it comes
>out that the author, David Chilton is pressing for the christians
>to prepare the way for Jesus upon His return. The idea is that
>Jesus will not or cannot come back until the christians prepare
>the earth for His arrival by arresting the governments of the
>world away from the secular powers into the hands of Christians.

If you carefully read any of David Chilton's books, nowhere does he advocate
christians "arresting the governments of the world away from the secular
powers". The case is put forth for the victorious effects of the Gospel in
world history. As individuals are converted and brought under the rule and
authority of God in all areas of their lives, we can be assured that cultures
and societies will be transformed. Indeed, this was the impetus for world
missions before the decline of christianity into what Chilton aptly describes
as pessimillenialism.

>Also, the author finds no place in God's plans for the Jews,
>that the new covenant somehow excludes them. David also seems to
>ignore altogether the promises of God in restoring the Jews.
>Any comments?

Hal Lindsey, in his book, "The Road to Holocaust", charges reconstructionists
with anti-semitism because:
	1. its eschatology denies Israel a distinct future pre-eminence as a
	   political entity over the world in the millenial era.

	2. the non-dispensational hermeneutic opens the door to a non-literal
	   interpretation of various prophecies.

I believe that these are not valid reasons to tar-brush a system of thought
with the label of anti-semitism. eschatology has never been a test of
orthodoxy. The writers of the various historic creeds of faith were careful to
avoid making one position the "official position". I believe it is unfair to
make adherence to an eschatological position a test of orthodoxy or a
test of racism.

A recent book that critiques David Chilton is Hal Lindsey's
_the Road to Holocaust_. This book is a fine developement
on the origin of anti-semitism, and bible scripture to counter
David's claims. Well worth reading.

Barry

--
john e. rushing						1980 springer dr.
perle systems inc.                                      lombard, illinois