[soc.religion.christian] The Resistance of the White Rose

COSC2U2@uhvax1.uh.edu (09/27/89)

In article <Sep.24.16.41.48.1989.4509@athos.rutgers.edu>, conan@jell-o.berkeley.edu writes:
> In article <Sep.23.03.33.30.1989.15400@athos.rutgers.edu> horton@b11.ingr.com (Mac Horton) writes:
>
>>	I'm sorry I can't give the details, but a friend of mine told me
>>this story while we were driving somewhere and I can't conveniently
>>research it.  There was apparently a small clandestine resistance group
>>called the White Rose which was formed by two Catholic students (who I
>>believe were brother and sister).  The group was discovered, arrested,
>>and executed eventually.  Can anyone else supply the whole story?

      You might try the book "The Resistance of the White Rose", edited
by Inge Scholl fron American Education Publications, 1970. The core of the
group consisted of Christoph Probst, Hans Scholl, Sophie Scholl, Willi
Graf, and Alexander Schmorel. Professor Kurt Huber, one of their mentors,
also went to the gallows with them.

     The book consists of an introduction, the leaflets for which the group
were convicted of clandestinely distributing, news items, and documents
relating to their story.

     The leaflets were political in nature. Religion was touched upon in that
it was mentioned that Hitler (actually Bormann) had planned to revise the
articles of faith to conform with Nazi ideology. (i.e. the Old Testament would
be discarded and Christ would be the forerunner of the Fuhrer).

    Of further interest is that Canaris tried to get the SS to lighten up on
these students. Canaris, with his steely blue eyes that frightened even Himmler,
was unable to make any impression on the crass Kaltenbrunner on this matter.
(One of the reasons of my original posting. What did ANYBODY do to relieve the
suffering of his fellow man? Does not the JUST suffer simply to observe Unjust
Suffering? The Nazis were incredibly wasteful with their manpower as a result
of their cruelty. Did not the sons of the Jews in the Concentration Camps, when
put into tanks, win battles for Israel? How can you win a war if you kill off
some of your own best men?)

    I enjoyed reading them.

--ceb