[soc.religion.christian] Archer's Encyclopedia Bible Difficulties on Lord's Day - Answers

zach@drutx.att.com (Zach Lewis) (09/29/89)

In article <Sep.25.21.49.41.1989.27374@athos.rutgers.edu>, hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:

> I think we all agree that Paul and others in the early church
> celebrated the Jewish Sabbath.  After all, they were Jews.
> Furthermore, they preached in the synagogues.  They would have a hard
> time doing so on Sunday...  Similarly, passages such as Mat 24:20 were
> addressed by Jesus to Jews.  The issue is not whether there were
> Christians that continued to follow the Law.  Obviously there were.
> The question is whether the Sabbath is mandatory for Gentile
> Christians.  Again, presumably we all agree that at some of the Law
> was decided to be non-binding on Gentiles.

The problem that always exist is which Law ?

The TEN Commandments Written in stone are not binding ?

Then maybe I can kill people now since there is no clear text that say
that the Law is binding RIGHT ?

Can I steal ?  What about take the Lord's name in vain ?

There are many laws which God told Moses to write down but there is only
one LAW that GOD wrote in STONE with HIS finger.

IF the sabbath is a part of that LAW and you say the LAW is not
required then aren't the other parts of the law done away with ?

Is there a LAW and what is it ?

O'h What about Matthew 22:37-40 where Jesus talks about Love for God
and Love for Man was that NEW ?

Read Deuteronomy 6:5-6. And Leviticus 19:18.

Jesus repeating something from the OLD LAW ?  Maybe God does not Change ?
Maybe God has a LAW that changes not ?

How readest thou ?  Let him that hath an ear hear !

Zac

>This is described in most
> detail in Acts (ch 14 or 15 -- I'm not in an area where there's a
> Bible, so citations are going to be a bit vague).  So now the question
> reduces to whether the Sabbath is in the part that was ruled

you should say  is the 10 Commandments ruled out !

The SABBATH is a part of the TEN COMMANDMENTS LAW !  Are you
tring to take it out of Gods LAW written in stone.

You might need a bigger Hammer !

> non-binding.  There are several pieces of evidence that it was not.
>
> One is passages such as those you mention (Col 2:14-17.  There are
> several of these.  I think they occur in Rom, Gal, and

I guess I can break the other nine since they are not binding and
there is no LAW in the NEW Testament according to YOU !

Jesus quoted the OLD LAW as was shown above .

Maybe we don't need a LAW now because hey nobody is a sinner.

You need a LAW to sin.  OR do you ?

IT is YOUR choice !

Zac

[See Rom 13:8-10.  I'm not going to kill people or steal from them
because I am filled with God's love.  Once we have that, we don't need
a Law.  --clh]