[soc.religion.christian] Summa Theologica

wcsa@iwtdr.att.com (Willard C Smith) (10/25/89)

In article <Oct.22.13.32.46.1989.25269@athos.rutgers.edu>, jhpb@lancia.att.com writes:
>The Summa is highly regarded; the council of Trent placed it on the
>altar with the Bible.  It's not official, though, in the sense that a
>Papal encyclical is.  But if one wants to study the Catholic religion in
>depth, the Summa is an excellent place to go.  There's an English
>translation in print (Christian Classics).

It is nice to know that other English translations of Summa Theologica are
available (meaning In Print).  Up to now, the only available complete English
translation that I knew of was included in Britannica's _Great Books_.
The _Great Books_ set, however, cost enough to warrant placing a second
morgage on your home.

As I recall, Summa takes up two volumes of the _Great Books_ set whereas
_War and Peace_ is only a single volume.

--
                   1100 E. Warrenville Rd., Naperville, IL
Willard C. Smith   (312) 979-0024

dyer@spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) (10/27/89)

In article <Oct.22.13.32.46.1989.25269@athos.rutgers.edu>, jhpb@lancia.att.com writes:
>The Summa is highly regarded; the council of Trent placed it on the
>altar with the Bible.  It's not official, though, in the sense that a
>Papal encyclical is.  But if one wants to study the Catholic religion in
>depth, the Summa is an excellent place to go.  There's an English
>translation in print (Christian Classics).

I picked up a copy of a study edition of the _Summa_ a few months ago,
and frankly, I found that I was *very* rusty with the terminology and
argument of scholastic philosophy: it might as well have been untranslated
for all the impact it made on me.  In places where I thought I had a glimmer of
understanding, I couldn't help but feel that it all seemed so _irrelevant_
(boy, my high school years, revisited.)  After my last attempt to read it
without sinking into a stupor, I set it aside with the mental note to
take a course in Aquinas before making any rash judgements...

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer