[soc.religion.christian] The Sabbath and Luther

harry@atmos.washington.edu (Harry Edmon) (10/08/89)

From Luther's Small Catechism (note that Luther numbers the
commandments differently):

   The Third Commandment:

   "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy"
   (You shall sanctify the holy day.)

   What does this mean?  We should fear and love God that we may not
   despise preaching and His Word, but hold it sacred and gladly hear
   and learn it.

This commandment is part of the first table of the commandments, which
Jesus summarizes as "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and
with all your soul and with all your mind." (Matt 23:37 NIV).  As
Luther points out, the meaning of the 3rd (4th) commandment is that we
should set aside a regular time for worship, listening to preaching
and study of His Word.  The day of the week chosen is not important to
the Christian since Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath (Matt 12:8) and
specified holy days have been abolished: "Therefore do not let anyone
judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious
festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day." (Col 22:16 NIV,
see also Rom 14:5-6).  Whether Saturday or Sunday or Wednesday is
chosen is not important, that regular time for worship is set aside is
important.  Those who choose Saturday have good reasons to use that
day for worship and I thank God for them.  Other Christians such as
myself have chosen Sunday in commeration of Easter and Pentecost,
which are also good reasons for selecting a day.

In the end, the day of the week we choose is, as the Lutheran
Confessions term it, "adiaphora" (Greek for indifferent things, i.e.,
church rites which are neither commanded nor forbidden in the Word of
God).  As Jesus stated in His summary of the first table of the
commandments, what is important is our love for God.
--
Harry Edmon		INTERNET: harry@atmos.washington.edu
(206) 543-0547		UUCP:	  uw-beaver!atmos.washington.edu!harry

zach@drutx.att.com (Zach Lewis) (10/11/89)

In article <Oct.7.18.55.25.1989.27140@athos.rutgers.edu>, harry@atmos.washington.edu (Harry Edmon) writes:

God had one day Gensis 2:2,3 that he wants his people to remember and
so many want to forget it and say the Day does not matter but God says
Remember the 7th Day WHY ??

So we want forget the creator, so we will remember who is in charge ?

If it is so simple why is it so hard ?

Man wants to follow man rather than God !

Sad !

> This commandment is part of the first table of the commandments, which
> Jesus summarizes as "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and
> with all your soul and with all your mind." (Matt 23:37 NIV).

How do we show love for God  1 John 5:2,3.

> Harry Edmon		INTERNET: harry@atmos.washington.edu

And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge
and in all judgement; that ye may approve things that are excellent; that
ye may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ; Being filled
with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory
and praise of God.

Philippians 1:9-11 (KJV).

moynihan_r@apollo.com (Robert Moynihan) (10/27/89)

Finally decided to put my two cents in on the Sabbath string.

There've been a number of posts on the sanctity of the Sabbath,
and this seems to have created quite a bit hot dispute.  I don't
think I'll say anything to put out the flames, but I hope this
won't add to them...

I'm a Seventh-day Adventist.  As such, I worship on the biblical
Sabbath of Saturday.  I came to the conclusion to be baptized into
the church after about two years of attending an Adventist church,
and finding myself agreeing with what was preached.  What I believe
may not square with what you believe.  I have no problem with that
if you don't.  After all, judging you isn't my job, nor is judging
me yours.  Someone infinitely more capable than us has that task,
and I for one will leave it to Him.

That said, I'd like to get into "what works for me"...

Harry Edmon writes:

> The day of the week chosen is not important to
> the Christian since Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath (Matt 12:8) and
> specified holy days have been abolished: "Therefore do not let anyone
> judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious
> festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day." (Col 22:16 NIV,
> see also Rom 14:5-6).

I've heard this passage used often to support the view that it is no
longer important to celebrate Sabbath on Saturday.  I have a question:
What if Paul was speaking to Christians who observed Sabbath on Saturday,
instead of on the pagan holy day of Sunday?  He may have been telling
them to ignore pagans telling them to worship on Sunday, observe their
festivals, and join their celebrations to the moon.  This is the way I
interpret the passage.  To me it seems more logical. (Anyone that just
got upset: re-read paragraph 2 - especially the last two sentences.)

Another passage used refers to Paul meeting with the disciples by the
river to break bread on the first day of the week, where Paul got up
and spoke to the disciples. (Forgive me for forgetting the exact passage,
I'm writing this at work.)  The general opinion is that they met for mass
on Sunday, therefore this is a perfect example of how it does not matter
on which day we worship.

I'd like to bring up two points here: First, "breaking bread" was
synonymous with having a meal, not with having a Sabbath service.
Second, Paul preached on every day of the week - not just on the Sabbath.
Since he was leaving the disciples on the next day, it would only make
sense that he would want to teach them everything he could in the time
he would be with them.  He certainly wouldn't avoid teaching them just
because it was not the Sabbath.  I think it would be more telling if in
the Bible there were a Sabbath day mentioned where the Apostles specifically
did something other than preach the Word.  If there is, I haven't found it.
Then again, I'm still learning...

Anyway, that's what works for me.  But I agree with Harry - it's the love
of God that's important.

Yours in Christ,

Bob

moynihan_r@apollo.hp.com   /// "I can't wash the dishes dear, it's Sabbath."
Hewlett-Packard Co     \\\///  "What, you think God wants to look at dirty
Apollo Systems Division \XX/    dishes all day?"