[soc.religion.christian] ONE TRUTH--ONE PATH

cle@cbnewse.ATT.COM (carole esposito) (10/23/89)

In Resonse to Hans W. Zegerius' article "PUNGENT AND PERTINENT"
I can't agree with Kamram Hakim's reaction to it, ie., that

>It saddens me to see
>that a respected religious leader should write such an article. I hope that

I am in full agreement with Mr. Zeregius that multi-religious prayers should
not be a part of the school day.  I base this believe first on scripture,
"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not
depart from it." (Prov. 22:6)  It is my God-given responsibility to train
my child., and secondly, I would not want my child confused by the introduction
of many types of religions, and certainly would not want my child to be
required to participate (note I say "child.")

On the topic of Baha'ism, I know little of it.  If it is at all similar to
New Age religion (of which I do know) I would run as fast as possible from
it.  That is neither a statement of attack on Baha'ism or one on New Age.
It is simply obeying scripture.  John 3:18 states:  "He who believes in Him
is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he
has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."  You see,
for Christians, Jesus is mutually exclusive of all other beliefs, ie.,
one truth, one path, NOT one truth, many paths.

About Mr. Hakim's other statement:

>I hope that
>such articles does not widen the gap of mutual understanding and friendship
>between the followers of various religions in the fast shrinking world of
>today.

For me to say Baha'ism is Pagan does not make a practitioner of Baha'ism
my enemy.  I can still be (and am) friends with persons of many different
beliefs; I simply cannot accept their beliefs because those beliefs do not
provide for salvation.  It isn't a judgement on the person, merely on the
belief, and I didn't make the judgement, God did (again John 3:18).  Of course,
I don't go around telling my non-Christian friends they're not saved (unless
they ask!)

I didn't get the impression Mr. Zegerius was attacking Baha'ism or any
other religion, simply warning his readers of the danger to the Christian
family.  That is the job of prophets, to warn us and keep us on the
straight and narrow (like Jonah, Isaiah, Jeremiah, et al.).  Jesus was never
afraid of widening the gap between Himself and the Pharisees--He merely
spoke the truth (in love).

hwt@bnr-fos.uucp (Henry Troup) (10/25/89)

[This is a followup to the thread about the Toronto Bd. of Education's
experiment in multi-religious prayer.  Kamran Hakim considered an
article (quoted from a hardcopy publication) by Hans Zegerius' to be
anti-Baha'i, as it condemned the multi-religious prayer by saying it
was creating a Baha'i mindset.  Carole Esposito responded
>I didn't get the impression Mr. Zegerius was attacking Baha'ism or any
>other religion, simply warning his readers of the danger to the Christian
>family.
--clh]

I have two immediate responses:
1)Mr. Zegerius seem to me to be attacking Baha'i under the pretext of
   discussing public school prayer

2) The issue of public school prayer is worh discussing, and Mr. Zegerius
   has muddied the waters most skillfully.

Really, the second is the most relevant to this forum.

Firstly, let us think on what we mean by 'prayer' and 'public school prayer'.
There seems to be little that is of real religious value to lining up every
student and coercing them into repeating any set of words together.  In fact,
many children acquire a justifiable dislike for this kind of religion.

I live (as does Mr. Zegerius) in Canada, which does not have constitutional
separation of church and state.  However, the notion that the state funded
schools should force one religion down everyone's throat seems to me quite
repugnant.  In fact, although less violent, it reminds me of medieval times
when Jews were pushed into rivers at sword point, the words of baptism said
over them, and then told they were Christians.

I do not accept that the truth of Christianity makes all other religions
false.  I'm aware of the New Testament verses relevant here; but my belief
in the infinite mercy of God is unbounded.

However, neither am I in favor of the religious mish-mash taught and or
used as opening exercises.  I remember my grade eight teacher telling her
class that Moslems worshipped Muhammed Ali.  Let's get 'religion' out of
the state schools altogether.

The use of one form of opening exercise (e.g. the Lord's Prayer) with the
standard provision that 'anyone may leave the room' is an invitation to
casual religious prejudice in the school yard.  I won't exaggerate that -
but it may sometimes be the root of something worse.

utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hwt%bmerh490   | BNR is not       | All that evil requires
hwt@bnr.ca (BITNET/NETNORTH)         | responsible for  | is that good men do
(613) 765-2337 (Voice)               | my opinions      | nothing.

davem@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dave Mielke) (10/27/89)

In article <Oct.25.05.25.28.1989.24964@athos.rutgers.edu> !hwt@bnr-fos.uucp (Henry Troup) writes:
>I do not accept that the truth of Christianity makes all other religions
>false.  I'm aware of the New Testament verses relevant here; but my belief
>in the infinite mercy of God is unbounded.
Matthew 4:7 says "Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt
not tempt the Lord thy God.".

Matthew 12:30 says "He that is not with me is against me; and he that
gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.".

Romans 6:16 says "Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves
servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin
unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?".

    Dave Mielke, 613-726-0014
    856 Grenon Avenue
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    K2B 6G3