[soc.religion.christian] Sabbath, Sunday, Saturday, Lord's Day?

crowe@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Daniel Crowe) (10/22/89)

>[A number of our readers may find the suggestion that they are
>worshipping Baal to be slightly lacking in Christian charity.  If they
>worship the Sun because they worship on Sunday, do you worship Saturn
>because you worship on Saturday?  The proper terms are, of course, the
>Lord's Day and the Sabbath, respectively.  In common speech we often
>use the normal English words because we are speaking English.  --clh]

Two points:

1) The Lord's Day appears in the Bible only once, and most probably
   does not refer to Sunday, or the first day of the week in the Jewish
   calendar.  In fact, it most probably refers to the seventh day, the
   Sabbath.  The usage of the Lord's Day to refer to the first day of
   the week began much later.

2) Christians began worshipping on Sunday primarily because most of them
   had been pagans and were accustomed to worshipping the sun on that
   day.

For these two reasons, it is appropriate to refer to the days of worship
as the Sabbath and Sunday.

--
Daniel (God is my judge) | "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to
physics graduate student |  speak and slow to become angry, for man's

hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu (10/23/89)

crowe@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Daniel Crowe) points out that usage of "Lord's
Day" for the first day of the week is not Biblical (or not umambiguously
so -- the only example is Rev 1:10, and it's impossible to prove which
day that referred to).  He also asserts

> 2) Christians began worshipping on Sunday primarily because most of them
> had been pagans and were accustomed to worshipping the sun on that day.
> For these two reasons, it is appropriate to refer to the days of worship
> as the Sabbath and Sunday.

I find these comments very strange.  First, there are no real
historical records describing establishment of worship on the first
day.  The Church generally claims that it is celebrating the
Resurrection.  You have chosen to accept an uncharitable conjecture
instead.  Furthermore, you have chosen to extend this uncharitable
intepretation to modern Christians.  Surely you don't believe that
most of us were Sun-worshippers before we joined the Church.

Of your final comment, I have to ask: In what sense is it appropriate
to refer to the normal Christian day of worship as Sunday?  You are
obviously using Sunday with pagan connotations.  In what sense is it
appropriate for a Christian to refer to any day of the week in that
way?  Do you believe that days of the week can become permanently
unholy because of pagan practices that took place on them?  I normally
use the words Saturday and Sunday without any consideration for their
pagan overtones.  At some point the history behind a word becomes
irrelevant: It means what it means.  But if the words had a pagan
connotation for me, I would surely do as the Friends do, and use the
terms First-Day, etc.

Surely the belief that we should keep the Sabbath does not imply that
worship on any other day of the week is a pagan act.  I could
understand it if you accused me simply of failing to keep the Sabbath.
I cannot understand your insistence that I am worshipping on a pagan
day.  How can there be such a thing?  Even if you think we are wrong
and perhaps even sinful in failing to keep the Sabbath, do you not
recognize our worship as Christian worship?  Does the fact that we are
in a state of sin because we reject the Sabbath make all attempts to
worship pagan?  This seems equivalent to asserting that God will only
accept worship from sinless people.  Or do you really believe that it
is impossible to worship on the first day of the week?

bill@uunet.uu.net (Bill Aumack) (10/27/89)

I can not speak for the person who wrote the article, but here are my humble
opinions.  (And they are opinions because I can not speak for God.)

God obviously accepts worship from people who are sinful.  If He did not
then no one could worship Him.  The real question seems to be, will God
accept worship from people who are intentionally not obeying His
commands.  If you believe the Bible says to worship on the 7th day, yet
you worship on the 1st - you would be intentionally ignoring God's
commands.  I believe that God accepts all people know matter how much
they have sinned.  But I also believe that it is up to us to follow His
commands as best as we are able (with His help of course).  That includes
His day of worship.

Bill Aumack

horton@b11.ingr.com (Mac Horton) (10/30/89)

	I know I said I wasn't going to post anymore, but...one
little drink won't hurt; I can quit anytime I want to.

	I think this continuing business about a Sunday vs. Saturday
Sabbath is elucidated by knowledge of what Seventh Day Adventists
believe.  Charles Hedrick says, in reply to something from Daniel Crowe:

>Surely the belief that we should keep the Sabbath does not imply that
>worship on any other day of the week is a pagan act.  I could
>understand it if you accused me simply of failing to keep the Sabbath.
>I cannot understand your insistence that I am worshipping on a pagan
>day.  How can there be such a thing?  Even if you think we are wrong
>and perhaps even sinful in failing to keep the Sabbath, do you not
>recognize our worship as Christian worship?....

	I don't remember whether Daniel has stated that he is a Seventh
Day Adventist or not, but certainly some of the proponents of a Saturday
Sabbath are.  And to see this from the Adventist point of view sheds
some light on why they attach such importance to a question which other
Protestants consider peripheral.

	Adventists believe that the change from Saturday to Sunday was
the work of the Roman Catholic Church, and that the RCC (or, more
specifically, the papacy) is the anti-Christ (more specifically, the
"little horn" of the beast in Revelations).  The change is considered to
be a fulfillment of a prophecy in the book of Daniel.  If you start from
those assumptions, then acceptance of the change on the part of other
Protestants constitutes collusion with the enemy--not deliberate, of
course, but at least a very serious failure to comply with God's law--
and a serious, if not fatal, defect in the purification of the Church by
the various forces of the Protestant Reformation, a sort of poisoning of
the whole effort by the leftover taint of Catholicism.

--
Mac Horton @ Intergraph	| horton@ingr.COM  |  ..uunet!ingr!horton
--

[Note that my reply was directed, not at those who simply say that we
should worship on Saturday, but to someone who said that worshipping

crowe@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Daniel Crowe) (10/30/89)

In article <Oct.22.13.01.08.1989.25159@athos.rutgers.edu> clh writes:
>I find these comments very strange.  First, there are no real
>historical records describing establishment of worship on the first
>day.  The Church generally claims that it is celebrating the
>Resurrection.  You have chosen to accept an uncharitable conjecture
>instead.  Furthermore, you have chosen to extend this uncharitable
>intepretation to modern Christians.  Surely you don't believe that
>most of us were Sun-worshippers before we joined the Church.

The historical records that do exist are discussed by Samuele Bacchiocchi
in his book *FROM SABBATH TO SUNDAY: A Historical Investigation of the
Rise of Sunday Observance in Early Christianity* (Rome: The Pontifical
Gregorian University Press, 1977, distributed in the USA by the author,
230 Lisa Lane, Berrien Springs, Michigan 49103)  The book is an
abridgement of Bacchiocchi's doctoral thesis which was prepared at The
Pontifical Gregorian University.  The book has received an imprimatur.

My statement was not an uncharitable conjecture: it was based upon
Mr. Bacchiocchi's research.  Also, I did not mean to imply that I
believe that most Sunday-keeping Christians were sun worshippers before
they joined the church.  Our moderator has read more into my statements
than they contain.  I also did not mean to imply that the only
appropriate terms are the Sabbath and Sunday, but merely that these
terms are appropriate.  Our moderator stated that the *only* correct
terms are the Sabbath and the Lord's Day.