[soc.religion.christian] reply to amy grant posting

ASPRINGMAN@eagle.wesleyan.edu (DAYSPRING) (10/27/89)

Quotations from posting by GLENLEE@BRILLIG.UMD.EDU

> I'm not sure if this belongs to this newsgroup because I never see
> any discussions/interests in contemporary christian music (ccm). If
> it belongs somewhere else, please tell me what newsgroup.

     I think this is a great newsgroup for this with one caution.  Individual
artists should be respected and discussions surrounding a person should be
quite limited.  There is plenty else to dwell on and I think you have raised
some worthy topics here.

> I found out that Amy Grant, Christian superstar sings the opening
> theme song to NBC's _Sister_Kate_

     My reaction to this is...TV?!, yuk.  I really despise commercial TV.  I
would not mind at all if sound (in doctrine) Christian music found its way onto
secular TV and radio.  I also wouldn't mind if Chrisian artists held more free
public performances (understatemnent).

> Besides, kids today are so materialistic, that voicing out their emotions
> for Christ is kinda "mushy"...Amy teaches you don't have to be an angel to
> do it...just human.

     I don't think that fitting into the "materialistic" music industry is
going to help christian kids much at all.  We should try to keep our kids away
from secular music and Christian music that imitates secular music.  (I feel
kinda funny with that last line because I am only 19 myself).

     Now for some explanation.  I became a Christian as a Sophamore in high
school.  At the time of my conversion I was lead singer, keyboardist, and
writer for a rock band.  (No drugs, Praise the Lord!)  I accepted the Lord at
my piano.  In fact, in order to show my earnesty in seeking Him, I said to
Jesus that I would not so much as hum another note (breaking by idol) until I
met Him and heard from him that I should start again and then I would only play
and sing as He commands.  He liked it.  He took me.  Now, He has me writing
songs about my testimony, praise songs, teaching songs, and scripture songs;
leading worship in churches and in other gatherings; and listening to a select
few Christian musicians (Keith Green, John Michael Talbot, Don Fransico,
Michael Card, Michael Kelly Blanchard, Glad, 2nd Chapter of Acts, Integrity
Hosanna, Praise (Maranatha music), and Bach).  He has taught me a lot about the
responsabilities of the musician. These are some foundational points...

     1) All music should be by and for God.  That is, it should be from God and
given to the musician by spiritual revelation.  Yes, music should be from the
heart, but that heart should be fixed on Jesus.
        That also means that all music should be praise or instruction or
outreach (and that's the tricky one).

     2) God is not pleased by secular music.

     3) Music _does_ have inherent spiritual meaning.  Even wordless music.
Therefore, musicians (and Christians in general) can and should discern by the
Spirit whether or not each song they play is 1) of the Lord and 2) appropriate
at the time.

I would appreciate all sorts of discussion (agreement/debate) on or off the
newsgroup.  Praise Jesus!

                         Andrew William Springman ASPRINGMAN@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU
                                                  ASPRINGMAN@WESLEYAN.BITNET

peter@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Peter Mielke) (11/10/89)

ASPRINGMAN@eagle.wesleyan.edu (DAYSPRING) writes:

> few Christian musicians (Keith Green, John Michael Talbot, Don Fransico,
> Michael Card, Michael Kelly Blanchard, Glad, 2nd Chapter of Acts, Integrity
> Hosanna, Praise (Maranatha music), and Bach). He has taught me a lot about the
> responsabilities of the musician. These are some foundational points...

> 1) All music should be by and for God.  That is, it should be from God and
> given to the musician by spiritual revelation.  Yes, music should be from the
> heart, but that heart should be fixed on Jesus.
> That also means that all music should be praise or instruction or
> outreach (and that's the tricky one).

Does this mean no more songs/compositions just for the fun of it? Take
for example the secular cantatas of J.S.Bach (one of them having to do
with some mythical gods and someones birthday) or Randy Stonehill
singing about junk food. Even singing "Happy birthday" to take it to
an extreem.

Or what about the composters that wrote church music but lead an
different lifestyle (like Mozart).

> 2) God is not pleased by secular music.

How do you define secular music?

> 3) Music _does_ have inherent spiritual meaning.  Even wordless music.
> Therefore, musicians (and Christians in general) can and should discern by the
> Spirit whether or not each song they play is 1) of the Lord and 2) appropriate
> at the time.

How would you tell in wordless music (e.g. music by Jean Micheal
Jarre, transcriptions of works by Bach by Wendy/Walter Carlos)?
--
Peter Mielke                               {utgpu,mnetor}!geac!aeshq!peter
Environment Canada                         Atmospheric Environment Service