[soc.religion.christian] Translation/Interpretation

smith_c@ncsatl.uucp (Spawn of a Jewish Carpenter) (10/30/89)

Regarding the discussion on translation of Scripture and how it's often
difficult to call something the Word of God that simply doesn't translate well
if at all, I have some questions.  In terms of interpretation, first of all,
there are different kinds of Scriptural meanings:  Literal (the meaning of the
human author), deeper meanings intended by God but clearly not intended by the
human author, and deeper meanings that some "things" possess (like persons,
places, objects, events) that God intended to foreshadow certain things (like
manna in the desert foreshadowing the Eucharist).  I'm just curious if future
"revelations" on the intrinsic meaning of certain passages (which currently
elude us) will be prophetic in nature in some profound way.  *sigh*  Perhaps
I'm being overly mystical here.  It just doesn't make sense to me that God
would want certain passages of the Word of God to be completely unintelligible.
Does there have to be a reason for everything?  Perhaps its very
unintelligibleness is a "typical sense" problem foreshadowing or echoing or
mirror-reflecting the mystery of God.  What do you think?
--
gatech!ncsatl!smith_c

GO AGAINST THE FLOW!

barry1@ihlpa.att.com (Barry O Olson) (11/10/89)

In article <Oct.29.22.56.20.1989.3940@athos.rutgers.edu>, smith_c@ncsatl.uucp (Spawn of a Jewish Carpenter) writes:
> Does there have to be a reason for everything?  Perhaps its very
> unintelligibleness is a "typical sense" problem foreshadowing or echoing or
> mirror-reflecting the mystery of God.  What do you think?
> --

Take into account the fundamental need for "man" to be in control
of his world. We need to understand. When we understand we tend to
pigeon hole that understanding, then move on to other things.
This is ok and easy on the simpler things in life. The problem
comes in when we run into heavier things, e.g., universe, loss of
a loved one, etc. These things we cannot control or pigeon hole.
This is very frustrating for man, that there are some things that
are beyond our ability to comprehend, understand, or pigeon hole,
so we as believers would default to "it's a mystery of God". To
someone who doesn't believe in a God, this explanation is a copout
at best, but most assuredly is labeled "simplistic", yet that one
who doesn't believe in a God cannot answer or understand either.
That person will come up with some long winded theories that appeal
to his sense of control, but in reality does nothing.

Could it be that God in His wisdom made a wall, gulf, that cannot
be understood or pigeon holed by finite man. This would be frustrating
to the mind of someone who rejects the concept of God. Anyway, if
we could fathom all of God's (speaking as a believer) mysteries, we
would, or could nullify God in our minds. Sure science explained
everyhing, therefore science is greater because it has revealed the
secrets, where faith alone could not, e.g, we have conquered God.

I believe that God holds a little something for Himself away from
man's understanding, and will continue to so science/knowledge will
s a God that we cannot hope
to fathom in our flesh.

Some odd speculations.

barry olson