[soc.religion.christian] transubstantiation again - some real concerns

barry1@ihlpa.att.com (Barry O Olson) (11/10/89)

I have some observations on doctrine of transubstantiation(catholic
eucharist). This is not being posted in the spirit of judgement on
those who believe otherwise.

I understand a sacrament as some action our Lord commands us to do,
or basically implied by His words in obedience to Him.

As a charasmatic protestant with no church ties(i have one fish tie:-)
just kidding, i read the nt communion of our Lord to be a memmorial
and not a continous sacrifice, but i can find backing for this in
Hebrews and Romans, if read as a child.

The priest is empowered(catholic doctrine) to call down Jesus into the
wafer, toenails and all at his consecration(if his intent is correct),
right? Now the church(catholic) would say that he can do this everytime
and God guarantees it, because He ordained it.
God(Jesus) also ordained us to heal the sick (another sacrament) and
such.

Now, how can the priest presume that Jesus is in the wafer everytime
with a guarantee, yet he cannot heal the sick everytime with a
guarantee. Remember now, this is the same priest who says he has the
power to make the wafer into Jesus. I believe that in the wafer we
cannot see Jesus there, but "must take it on faith", but with another
sacrament, heal the sick, this cannot be pulled off with the same
"take it on faith" assurance precisely because we can see a healing.

Could God in His wisdom be showing us (priests, and laity) that no
human can guarantee "anything" in the name of God(Jesus), and proves
it by "not" healing people at every prayer of a priest or congregation
no matter "how" sincere. This to me should humble alot of priests,
bishops, cardinals, popes, believers, or what have you, and send up
red flags everywhere when someone claims they can control God, or they
have some secret power that others do not have, it's a mystery thing.

Barry olson

raf@prc.unisys.com (Ralph A. Foy) (11/14/89)

As a quasi-Catholic, I thought I would share some of my understandings
on this topic. BIG DISCLAIMER: I do not profess to hava any expertise,
and am typing from the top of my head as what I think generally
accepted Catholic doctrine states, unless I say otherwise. If anything
seems particularly bizzare, don't blame Catholicism immediately--it
may just be my ignorace, which can only be blamed on me.. Oh, I can't
spell too good eithre.

> I understand a sacrament as some action our Lord commands us to do,
> or basically implied by His words in obedience to Him.

We understand a sacrament to be an act which we recognize Christ's
presence in a real, but special way.  In a sense every moment should
be sacramental, insofar as Christ is always with us; however we
recognize seven sacramental rituals which are "formal" celebrations in
which the community celebrates as a Church Sacrament. They are:

  1. Baptism		2. Confirmation		3. Matrimony
  4. Holy Orders	5. Reconciliation	6. Annointing of the Sick
  7. Christian Burial

> As a charasmatic protestant with no church ties(i have one fish tie:-)
> just kidding, i read the nt communion of our Lord to be a memmorial
> and not a continous sacrifice, but i can find backing for this in
> Hebrews and Romans, if read as a child.

Don't have a Bible at my desk (mea culpa), but I think one key
scripture in Catholic understanding is the Road to Emmaus story; since
the two men were not at the Last Supper, the breaking of the bread
just a memorial wouldn't make sense since they weren't there  to
remember. But there in the breaking of the bread the reality of
Christ's presence was found.

> The priest is empowered(catholic doctrine) to call down Jesus into the
> wafer, toenails and all at his consecration(if his intent is correct),
> right?

Well, putting a little sarcasm aside for the moment... just to
clarify, the issue of intent is there not as a necessary and
sufficient clause ("well, Father was thinking about the ballgame while
he mumbled the words of institiution, so it doesnt count"--no), but
rather a kind of escape clause if something goes wrong... cases when
the sacristan accidentally uses a cruet of vinegar instead of wine,
even one I heard of where grape juice was used (no-no in Catholic
church). Since the intent was there, God isn't limited by the legal
technicalities (officially it is "valid, but illicit"--violates the
rules, but still valid).

> Now the church(catholic) would say that he can do this everytime
> and God guarantees it, because He ordained it.
> God(Jesus) also ordained us to heal the sick (another sacrament) and
> such.

> Now, how can the priest presume that Jesus is in the wafer everytime
> with a guarantee, yet he cannot heal the sick everytime with a
> guarantee.

 The Sacrament of the Annointing of the Sick is not faith healing.
Think of it this way--when we reach out to comfort the sick, we reach
out to Christ (whatever you do to the least of these, you do to me).
When a person comforts me, he or she helps bring to comfort of Christ
(where two or three are gathered in my name, I am in your midst). The
Sacrament of Annoint seeks primarily spiritual healing, comfort and
peace; yes it prays for physical healing, but asks mostly that we find
comfort in the midst of our suffering in Christ.

>  Remember now, this is the same priest who says he has the
> power to make the wafer into Jesus. I believe that in the wafer we
> cannot see Jesus there, but "must take it on faith", but with another
> sacrament, heal the sick, this cannot be pulled off with the same
> "take it on faith" assurance precisely because we can see a healing.

see above

> Could God in His wisdom be showing us (priests, and laity) that no
> human can guarantee "anything" in the name of God(Jesus), and proves
> it by "not" healing people at every prayer of a priest or congregation
> no matter "how" sincere. This to me should humble alot of priests,
> bishops, cardinals, popes, believers, or what have you, and send up
> red flags everywhere when someone claims they can control God, or they
> have some secret power that others do not have, it's a mystery thing.

No one guarantees anything.  Christ is made present. The love of God
is celebrated. The Spirit is invited to fill our hearts and minds.
These rituals are not magic shows, just special celebrations where the
community prays. As I said before, we should see every moment as a
sacrament, but on those special occasions, birth (and re-birth),
maturity, matrimony, illness, death, reconciliation, and consecration
to pesbyteral ministry, the Catholic Community gathers together to
celebrate God's presence.

> Barry olson

ralph Foy
----------

dyer@spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) (11/14/89)

In article <Nov.10.02.57.33.1989.12444@athos.rutgers.edu> barry1@ihlpa.att.com (Barry O Olson) writes:
>I understand a sacrament as some action our Lord commands us to do,
>or basically implied by His words in obedience to Him.

So far, so good.

>The priest is empowered(catholic doctrine) to call down Jesus into the
>wafer, toenails and all at his consecration(if his intent is correct),
>right? Now the church(catholic) would say that he can do this everytime
>and God guarantees it, because He ordained it.

Well, the priest doesn't "call down Jesus".  The bread and wine are
transsubstantiated into Christ's body and blood through the power of
the Holy Spirit.  Incidentally, Barry's questions could also be asked of
Anglicans and Lutherans (OK, no toenails for them--I guess that's where
consubstantiation comes in :-).)  By the way, Chuck, this gives me an
opportunity to clarify my earlier comment:

	I'm also uneasy with the implication that the "priest" is
	somehow sacrificing Christ.  That's not really correct.

Just as Christ, both victim and priest, sacrificed himself on Calvary,
the Catholic Church believes that Christ is both victim and priest in
the unbloody reenactment of the same sacrifice of Calvary, which is the
Mass.  The priest offers this unbloody sacrifice in the Eucharist,
but only by virtue of his acting through a sacramental identification
with Christ, the High Priest.  The sacrifice is effected by Christ
himself.  I hope that gives you a feel for why I didn't like that statement.

Anyway, Barry's emphasis is all wrong.  This is not a magic act guaranteed
by God.  To this, Chuck said in a private comment:

> I posted this because I thought it raised a real issue, the answer to
> which I don't know, namely that of the "automatic" nature of the
> sacraments.  As I understand it, the Catholic concept of the communion
> implies that when the correct liturgical action is performed, Christ
> is present, independent of the faith of the priest or people.  Of
> course that fact won't do anybody any good without faith...  (Indeed a
> passage in one of Paul's letters implies that it might even do harm.)
> This really does look like "magic" to many of us.  It seems to me that
> this impression of "magic" is common enough that it's worth responding to.

OK.  I think that your question reflects an unnecessarily mechanistic
view of the Eucharist (actually any of the sacraments) which leads one
inevitably to ask about absurdly unrealistic situations like this one.
Most of the formulations which would lead you into this corner come
from the refutation of heresies which would have you believe the opposite.
Trent proclaimed that the conferring of grace in a sacrament depends on
neither the merit of the minister nor that of the recipient, except in
a negative way (through some obstacle.)  This was an attempt to make
clear that the grace of the sacraments comes from God acting through
Christ in his Church, and not through some human force.  This, and
other proclamations seem to have been effective at dispelling the
heresies, but at the expense of some confusion and excessive legalism
on the part of all Christians.

Let me refer back to the discussions of the sacraments which have
appeared before here and in talk.religion.misc.  The "faith" of the
minister, writ small, is not necessary for a valid Eucharist.  For
example, he may be subject to the same doubts and crises of faith that
we all have.  He may be in a state of serious sin.  (Please refer to
our moderator's illuminating precis on the differences between
Protestant and Catholic concepts of sin.  In the Catholic view, a
priest may be in a _state of sin_ because after sinning he might not
yet have received absolution in the sacrament of penance.  I've since
learned that this Catholic concept of zig-zagging between being
justified and not doesn't make too much sense to many Protestants.)
These failings in themselves are not impediments to the valid
celebration of the Eucharist.  However, the minister must voluntarily
intend in his actions what the Church intends--namely, he must intend
to exercise his function in the celebration of the sacrifice of the
Mass as the Church understand it, and all that entails.  I would
interpret your hypothetical example as excluding this common
intention.  A true apostate would not share the same intention as the
Church's, and hence the sacrament would not be valid--in the case of a
Eucharist celebrated by such a fallen minister, we can safely say that
the transformation of the bread and wine into Christ's body and blood
would not occur.

All sacraments have a sign (the ritual), a reality (the immediate effect
of grace), and a lasting effect.  If a recipient does not have the proper
disposition (i.e., the Tridentine impediment), then the fruitful reception
of the sacrament (grace) does not occur.  Note that the Church uses the word
"disposition", not "faith"--this seems to be a _roomier_ word, encompassing
a larger sense and a smaller sense than the word "faith".  (Other Church
documents point out that the act of celebrating a sacrament (the sign)
may in itself prepare one to have the proper disposition.)  Thus, a sacrament
is not a magic act.  A person without faith in the sacrament does
not benefit from the graces imparted by the sacrament, since they are
implicitly rejected.

Now, all sacraments have a lasting effect.  The lasting effect of the
Eucharist is the ultimate conversion of the elements into the body
and blood of Christ.  As you see now, in Catholic doctrine, this requires
the proper intention of the priest--the "sign" alone is not enough.
However, Christ's presence is not dependent on the proper disposition of the
congregation.  (Remember, too, that the Eucharist can be reserved for
later distribution to the sick or infirm.)  Does this, in itself,
constitute magic?  In my view, no more than any act of the Divine.

>God(Jesus) also ordained us to heal the sick (another sacrament) and
>such. Now, how can the priest presume that Jesus is in the wafer everytime
>with a guarantee, yet he cannot heal the sick everytime with a
>guarantee. Remember now, this is the same priest who says he has the
>power to make the wafer into Jesus.

The sacrament called "Anointing of the Sick" (formerly known as Extreme
Unction) doesn't necessarily address physical healing, but spiritual
healing: the grace of the Holy Spirit imparted by the sacrament endows
the recipients with fortitude to avoid temptation, to bear their
illness more easily, and to assuage their anxiety about death.  Along
with that, the sacrament remits sin.  According to the Church, if it is
in the interest of a recipient's salvation, then even physical healing
may follow, but you can see that this is not the main focus of the sacrament.
The sacrament is as efficacious as Barry implies, just not in the way he
envisions.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

firth@sei.cmu.edu (11/15/89)

In article <Nov.13.11.58.19.1989.5012@athos.rutgers.edu> raf@prc.unisys.com (Ralph A. Foy) writes:

> we
>recognize seven sacramental rituals which are "formal" celebrations in
>which the community celebrates as a Church Sacrament. They are:
>
>  1. Baptism		2. Confirmation		3. Matrimony
>  4. Holy Orders	5. Reconciliation	6. Annointing of the Sick
>  7. Christian Burial

My prayer book lists these as the Seven Sacraments:

	Baptism
	The Supper of the Lord (ie the Mass or Eucharist)
	Confirmation
	Penance
	Orders (ie the Ordering of Priests and Deacons)
	Matrimony
	Extreme Unction

The Anglican church recognises only the first two as sacraments, as
being ordained of Christ himself.

[Thanks also to likes@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Kevin T. Likes), who
also pointed out the obvious slip in the original list.  Some of the
differences between the two lists above are due to changes in
terminology in the Catholic Church: extreme unction is now referred to
as annointing of the sick, and penance is now referred to as
reconciliation.  However they certainly have not replaced the Mass
with Christian burial...  --clh]