[soc.religion.christian] Capital Sins and Capital Virtues

smith_c@ncsatl.uucp (Spawn of a Jewish Carpenter) (10/30/89)

Incidentally,

Seven Capital Sins            Seven Capital Virtues
__________________            _____________________

1.  Pride                     1.  Humility
2.  Avarice                   2.  Liberality
3.  Lust                      3.  Chastity
4.  Anger                     4.  Meekness
5.  Gluttony                  5.  Temperance
6.  Envy                      6.  Brotherly love
7.  Sloth                     7.  Diligence

I think these are called capital because they are the leading tendencies
towards sin; I don't think it has anything to do with how grave they are, you
know, all that mortal and venial stuff.

I don't know what the Catholic Church has to say about Jesus God losing His
Holy Temper when He drove out the money-changers.  Righteous anger, I guess.  I
suppose that means if you're "righteously" angry with your brother, that's
okay, as long as you forgive him, either after he repents, or before he
repents, if you're really charitable.  As for gluttony, hmmm, remember the one
about Jesus saying, "John the Baptist came neither eating nor drinking and they
called him possessed.  The Son of Man came eating and drinking and they called
him a drunkard and a glutton.  Yet wisdom is justified by all of her children."
Did I get it right?  Heh.  I think the Baptists take Temperance a bit too far.
I remember telling someone recently about the first time I received Communion
in the Baptist Church with my mother-in-law.  They passed out the Blood of
Christ in these little plastic cups and the Body of Christ were these little
crackers on a tray they passed around the pews.  When the priest gave the
go-ahead (er, Reverend, I guess), everybody ate the Body of Christ at the same
time.  Then, he gave the go-ahead to drink from our little plastic cups.  I
can't tell you how *shocked* I was when I discovered it was grape juice....I
felt like I knew how the wine stewards at Cana felt when they tasted the water
and, behold, it had turned into wine.  I don't mean to offend anyone, I was
just really *shocked*, I kid you not....However, I understand and appreciate
the Baptist attitude towards using the "unfermented fruit of the vine."  I
mean, I don't want to get into a temperance debate, it was just a very
interesting experience.  When the priest was consecrating the Bread, I kept
waiting for the ritual words, but he didn't use any in the prayer that I
recognized, but then I'm not a Baptist, so I'm not familiar with whether or not
they use a standard ritual.  Perhaps some Protestants out there can help me
out.  Someone told me recently that Protestants do not believe that Jesus is
really present in the Bread and Wine.  Now, I thought the Protestants simply
didn't agree with transubstantiation, believing that Jesus is really present in
the Bread and Wine, as well as being really present in the Word of God, too,
among other things.  Perhaps some Protestants on this forum can help me out
here.

--
 Standard Disclaimer:  These are my soul opinions, heartfelt and
passionately expressed.  They do not reflect the opinions of

Yours in Christ,

SPAWN OF A JEWISH CARPENTER

[I understand your concern about grape juice.  It doesn't necessarily
imply that we think there is anything intrinsically wrong with wine.
Many denominations use grape juice even when they permit members to
drink alcohol.  Here's the argument: Unfortunately there is a
substantial portion of our population that can't use alcoholic
beverages safely.  My guess is that the quantity involved in communion
is not enough to cause objective problems for anyone.  However there
are those who are able to function only because of a strong commitment
not to drink anything alcoholic.  We should not take a chance of
weakening that commitment.  It's worth the esthetic loss in order to
avoid causing a brother or sister to stumble.  Even those groups that
normally use wine may make grape juice available for those who prefer
it.

As for the Real Presence, there several different views.  Generally
the Reformed, Lutheran, and Anglican families believe in some form of
Real Presence.  As a Presbyterian, I fall into the Reformed camp, and
believe in what is sometimes called "spiritual presence", i.e. that we
actually encounter Christ's body and blood in communion, but that this
happens through the mediation of the Holy Spirit, and that the contact
is not localized in the bread and wine.  Lutherans and Anglicans
generally do localize the presence in the elements in one way or
another, but without believing in transubstantiation.  The "low
church" folks, which would include Baptists, generally see it as a
memorial.  Presumably they also expect to encounter Christ, but only
as they would in any act of worship.

As for the liturgy, every denomination has its own.  There is no
specific prayer of consecration that is considered essential by all
Protestants.  The only things I would consider to be essential to a
Communion are the use of bread and wine (uh... fruit of the vine), and
the use of the "words of institution".  These may be taken either from
the account of the last supper in the Synoptics (e.g. Mk 14:22 before
the bread and Mk 14:23-25 before the cup) or from I Cor (I Cor
11:23-24 before the bread and I Cor 11:25 before the cup).  All
versions include the words "this is my body".  Of course any actual
liturgy will contain more than this.  I generally prefer a liturgy
that has more of the traditional elements.  But I'd say that the only
invariable parts of the liturgy are those two.  This is exactly
parallel to Baptism, where the two requirements are the use of water
and the words "I baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son
and of the Holy Spirit" (and "the intent to do what the Church does",
i.e. that it is intended to be a Christian sacrament, and not part of
a play, etc.).

Plastic cups are not of course a Protestant requirement.  I've used a
common loaf and common cup.  If people drink directly from the cup,
wine with a certain percent alcohol must be used, for sanitary
reasons.  More commonly, a common cup is administered by "intinction",
i.e.  dipping a hunk of bread into the cup.  There are also several
ways of having the congregation participate.  Some sit in their seats
and have the elements passed around.  Others come forward in groups
and kneel at the front.  The old Presbyterian method (almost never
used anymore) was to have tables at the front, and have people come in
groups to sit at the table.

There are also differences in age requirements.  The Presbyterian
Church (USA) allows baptized children to participate, with no specific
age limit.  The implication is that they request it, and must have at
least some understanding of the significance of the sacrament.  This
can make for some awkward moments for the server: do you offer to
serve a little tyke?  (This is one reason for using ordained deacons
and elders to serve, I guess: on-the-spot policy decisions.)  I would
not be surprised to see stricter requirements in other churches.

These days most Protestant churches have "open communion".  This means
that any (baptized?) Christian is invited to participate.  This is
normally made explicit in an invitation, given somewhere near the
beginning.  There are however some churches that still practice closed
communion, sometimes for reasons of Church discipline (that is, they
want to make sure that people are properly prepared) and sometimes
because they want to restrict participation to those who have the same
understanding of communion.  I believe closed communion is now fairly
rare, but I could be wrong.  I've certainly never run into it (not
even in Catholic churches, interestingly enough).

By the way, it's fairly important not to use the term priest in this
context for a Protestant minister.  Priest implies that a sacrifice is
being done, and Protestants generally (except maybe high church
Anglicans?) do not believe they are sacrificing Christ again.

--clh]

dyer@spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) (11/10/89)

> I believe closed communion is now fairly rare, but I could be wrong.
> I've certainly never run into it (not even in Catholic churches,
> interestingly enough).

Well, it's rather difficult to determine who is a Catholic and who is
not when distributing communion, unless that person is known to the
minister, announces their particular confession somehow, or is obviously
unfamiliar with what to do (difficult to imagine for most Christians
who celebrate a communion service.)  Until this topic had been discussed
on the net this past year, the "problem" had never occurred to me.
In Catholic Churches, the presumption is, if you're standing in line
to receive the Eucharist, you're Catholic.  Whether you are or not
is a different matter.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

In article <Oct.29.22.21.50.1989.3567@athos.rutgers.edu> our moderator writes:
>By the way, it's fairly important not to use the term priest in this
>context for a Protestant minister.  Priest implies that a sacrifice is
>being done, and Protestants generally (except maybe high church
>Anglicans?) do not believe they are sacrificing Christ again.

This may be a problem of misinterpreting your wording, but Catholics don't
believe that they are sacrificing Christ again.  Rather, the Mass is a
reenactment of the SAME sacrifice as Calvary.  I'm also uneasy with the
implication above that the "priest" is somehow sacrificing Christ.  That's
not really correct, although I am too jetlagged from the change to standard
time to attempt a clarification of that right now.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
dyer@arktouros.mit.edu, dyer@hstbme.mit.edu

[I'd be interested in the distinction.  I understand that the sacrifice
is the same one as Calvary.  But I had always understood that the mass
is a sacrifice.  --clh]

harry@atmos.washington.edu (Harry Edmon) (11/10/89)

Our beloved moderator in this comments in this article refers to
"closed" communion.  The proper name for this, at least in the
Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod (LCMS), is "close" communion.  The
two reasons given, that a person be properly prepared and that those
participating have the same understanding of communion, are the
reasons for it.  The LCMS does have a synodical policy of close
communion, with each congregation to use proper pastoral care in its
administration.  Our congregation handles this by printing in the
bulletin our belief that the bread and wine are the true body and
blood of Christ, and invite those who believe likewise to join us.  If
the person is going to attend communion in our church regularly, we
ask them to talk to the Pastor.  After all, only the person involved
and God know if the person is properly instructed on communion and if
they believe the same as we do.

I might add that the LCMS also allows exception to the close communion
rule in certain other circumstances such as for military chaplins.
--
Harry Edmon		INTERNET: harry@atmos.washington.edu
(206) 543-0547		UUCP:	  uw-beaver!atmos.washington.edu!harry

conan@wish-bone.berkeley.edu (David Cruz-Uribe) (11/14/89)

[This is in response to a dialog between Steve Dyer and me.  I had thought
that Catholics doctrine implied that a priest was performing a sacrifice
during communion.  Steve commented that although there are sacrificial
aspects, it isn't sacrificing Christ again.  The Mass is the same
sacrifice as Calvary.  I asked for clarification.  --clh]

Perhaps I can clarify the situation (or at least throw gas on the
flames :-)).

Just to be definitive, the following is an excerpt from the Decrees of
the Council of Trent, (as quoted in the New Catholic Encyclopedia, "Mass,
Roman"):

	Should anyone say that in the Mass there is not offered a true
	and genuine sacrifice or that to be offered means nothing more
	than that Christ is given us to eat, _anathema sit_...

	Should anyone say that the sacrifice of the Mass is only one
	of praise or thanksgiving, or but a bare commemoration of the
	sacrifice on the cross, and not propitiatory..._anathema sit_...

Now, having stated definitively what Catholics don't believe, let me
try and explain what we do believe.  There is one unique sacrifice
made for our sins--the sacrifice on the Cross.  It cannot in any way
be repeated.  The mystery of the mass is that in it we are united with
this event, across time and space.  But we are not present as passive
observers: the sacrifice of the mass comes when we unite ourselves to
the sacrifice of Christ, offering _ourselves_ through Him to the
Father.  This is possible only through God's grace, received in Baptism.

One way of looking at this is our sacrifice is a renewal of our
baptismal vows; however, I'm not confident this completely captures
the depth of what is happening, since the sacrament is a sign of God's
action, not ours.

Well, I hope this clarifies the question--if anyone wants, I can look
into this further.  (Also the NCE article above is quite good.)

Yours in Christ,

David Cruz-Uribe, SFO

mangoe@cs.umd.edu (Charley Wingate) (11/15/89)

Our Fearless Moderator writes:

>By the way, it's fairly important not to use the term priest in this
>context for a Protestant minister.  Priest implies that a sacrifice is
>being done, and Protestants generally (except maybe high church
>Anglicans?) do not believe they are sacrificing Christ again.

Sorry, but this isn't correct.  The Episcopal minister whose part is to read
the eucharistic prayer and the words of institution, and who breaks the
bread, is a priest-- whether high or low.

Trying to get a firm grip on which presiding minister is a priest and which
is not is a slippery proposition.  The key point seems to be this notion of
"sacrament".  Regardless of the speicific details, this is one point where
the anglicans are close akin to the Roman Catholics (and the eastern
churches) and quite apart from most other protestants.  It seems that the
reason priests are called such is that they are the chief representatives/
actors in the sacramental acts of the church.  They are both sign and
reality of the priesthood of believers.
--
C. Wingate         + "Our God, to whom we turn When weary with illusion,
                   +  Whose stars serenely burn Above this earth's confusion,