[soc.religion.christian] Charlie Brown and Religion

svalcour@dartvax.uucp (Scott Valcourt ) (11/10/89)

Last night, some friends and I were watching "It's the Great Pumpkin,
Charlie Brown" on CBS.  Our minds started to turn to theology...
Are the characters written by Charles M. Schultz liken to that of the
New Testament, in particular to those relating to the events surrounding
the life of Christ?

It seems like a far-fetched idea to contend with, but some items point
to this.  Any comments from anyone?  We seem to think that someone wrote
a paper about this.  If anyone knows Mr. Schultz, could you ask him?

-Scott Valcourt             UUCP: ..!dartvax!anselm!svalcour
 Saint Anselm College       <<--- At a school like that, the only thing
 Manchester, NH 03102             you can do is think everything is
                                  related to philosophy!
                                  and Theology!

[Schultz intended his cartoon to make Christian points.  There were
some books written on the subject, but because I'm in the wrong place
I don't have any of the titles handy.  --clh]

@sun.acs.udel.edu:spike@sun.acs.udel.edu (spike) (11/14/89)

One book written on the subject of Peanuts and Christianity is called
_The_Gospel_According_to_Peanuts_.  However I do not remember the name of
the author.  I can find out in a couple of days though if any one is
interested.

Todd M Nelson

bill@emx.utexas.edu (Bill Jefferys) (11/14/89)

the theology in Charles Schultz' cartoons.  --clh]

The books you refer to were probably Robert L. Short's _Gospel
According to Peanuts_ and _Parables of Peanuts_. The first was
published by John Knox Press (1964), and the second by Harper
& Row (1968). I don't know if they are still in print.

Bill Jefferys

dhawk@lll-crg.llnl.gov (David Hawkins) (11/14/89)

anselm!svalcour@dartvax.uucp (Scott    Valcourt                 ) writes:
>Are the characters written by Charles M. Schultz liken to that of the
>New Testament, in particular to those relating to the events surrounding
>the life of Christ?

_The Gospel according to Peanuts_ by Robert Short (who also wrote
_Something to Believe In_ which greatly influenced my life.)

Also, Shultz has several books of cartoons about teenagers where a lot
of the stories were about Sunday School and other church interests.
These were printed back in the 1960's, I think.

At Golden Gate Baptist Seminary, in Mill Valley, CA, (where I
graduated), they have a lot of framed Peanuts cartoons in the halls
where the professors' offices are.

I don't think the characters are patterned after Biblical people or
events, but that Shultz uses various characters to make different
points.

later, david
--
David Hawkins - dhawk@well.sf.ca.us - {apple,pacbell,hplabs,ucbvax}!well!dhawk
+ Distraction is the only thing that consoles us for our miseries and  +

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (11/15/89)

If I recall correctly, Charles Schulz' testimony is printed in the back
of _Evidence_That_Demands_A_Verdict_, along with several others'.

--
Geoff Allen                  \  Since we live by the Spirit,
{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff  \  let us keep in step with the Spirit.

tbvanbelle@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Terry Van Belle) (11/15/89)

In article <Nov.13.11.58.45.1989.5034@athos.rutgers.edu> @sun.acs.udel.edu:spike@sun.acs.udel.edu (spike) writes:
>One book written on the subject of Peanuts and Christianity is called
>_The_Gospel_According_to_Peanuts_.

I have never read this book, but I do remember vividly the book that started
this discussion, _It's_the_Great_Pumpkin,_Charlie_Brown_.  In it, Linus is the
only kid on the block who believes in the Great Pumpkin.  In fact, he is scorned
by his sister for making her look bad & ridiculed by Snoopy.  He finally gains
Sally as a convert and they both give up trick-or-treating one Halloween to wait
in the pumpkin patch for the Great Pumpkin.  The only person who shows up all
night is Snoopy, who causes quite a false alarm, but in the end, Linus is
humiliated by the non-appearance of the Great Pumpkin.  I found the whole story
extremely depressing.

So what was Schulz trying to say?  Was it an attack on Christianity, or an
illustration of a Christian's worst fears?  Linus is undoubtedly the theologian
of the Peanuts gang.  His name comes from a letter of Paul, and he is often
found expounding on some Biblical passage.  He's the smartest of the gang, and
yet he carries a security blanket with him wherever he goes.

Another interesting book to compare would be _A_Charlie_Brown_Christmas_.
Just as Charlie Brown has almost given up on finding the meaning of life amidst
all the commericalism of Christmas, Linus recounts the Christmas story as told
in Matthew.

Terry Van Belle
tbvanbelle@watcgl.Waterloo.edu

[Perhaps Shultz is simply being realistic.  How often do Christians
confidently expect God to appear in a particular place in a
particularly way, and go sit out in the pumpkin patch waiting for him,
when he's really busy at work elsewhere in our lives?  --clh]

thweattj@ncar.ucar.edu (John Thweatt) (11/17/89)

You might have asked the question what must we do to be saved?

First you must understand that you are a sinner or as we usally think
of that we have done things wrong.

Rom. 3:23  For all have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God.

We all have sinned and this sin keeps us from the Glory of God. Another
way of saying this is that our sin keeps us from God.  So we will never
have a relationship with God if we have sin in our life.

But there is Good News:

Rom 6:23  For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is
eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Our sin is worthy of death (seperation from God) but Jesus Christ has
paid our payment for this sin because of his death on the Cross.  His
death now provides us a way to enter in to a releationship with God
thereby we may have eternal life.

Rom 5:8  But God demonstrates His own love toward us that while we were
yet sinners Christ died for us.

God loves you and he sent His Son Jesus Christ to die for you that you
may now be united with God forever.

Now what must you do to have this eternal life with God.

Romans 10:13  For whoever will call upon the name of the Lord will be
saved.

Romans 10:9-10  For if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and
believe with your heart that God has raised Him from the dead; you
shall be saved; for with the heart man believes resulting in
rightousness, and with the mouth he confesses resulting in salvation.

So now admitt to God you are a sinner and that you want to accept God's
love for you.  That you will make Jesus Christ the Lord of your life
and believe that Jesus is the Son of God.  Your next step to growth
should be to find a Church that You can grow in.  But make sure that
teach that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and there is no other way
to the Father (God) then through Jesus.

It is a very exciting life when you are living for the Lord, one that
you will never regret.

God Bless and if you would like to know more about Jesus contact.
(602) 581-4801 or 395-0228

John T.

ncramer@bbn.com (Nichael Cramer) (11/17/89)

In article <Nov.13.12.29.54.1989.6893@athos.rutgers.edu> well!dhawk@lll-crg.llnl.gov (David Hawkins) writes:
>_The Gospel according to Peanuts_ by Robert Short (who also wrote
>_Something to Believe In_ which greatly influenced my life.)

It is probably worth noting that --other than granting permission for the
strips to be used-- Schulz had nothing to do with the writing of the book
or its sequel _The Parables of Peanuts_.

>Also, Shultz has several books of cartoons about teenagers where a lot
>of the stories were about Sunday School and other church interests.
>These were printed back in the 1960's, I think.

They were called _What Was Bugging Ol' Pharaoh?_, _"Teenager" Is Not a
Disease_, _Young Pillars_ and _Two-by-Fours_.

Cheers
NICHAEL

P.S. Personally, I'm anxiously awaiting the publication of Snoopy's book on
theology: _Has It Ever Occurred To You That You Might Be Wrong_.  ;)