[soc.religion.christian] To Fulfill the Law

davidbu@tekigm2.men.tek.com (David Buxton) (11/15/89)

The Prophecy:

     "The Lord . . . . will magnify the law, and make it honorable."  (Isa.
     42:21)

Prophecy fulfilled:

     "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the  Prophets;  I
     have  not  come  to  abolish them but to fulfill them.  I tell you the
     truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter,  not
     the  least  stroke  of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law
     until everything is accomplished.  Anyone who breaks one of the  least
     of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called
     least in the kingdom of heaven,  but  whoever  practices  and  teaches
     these  commands  will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.  For I
     tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of  the  Phari-
     sees  and  the  teachers  of the law, you will certainly not enter the
     kingdom of heaven."  (Matt. 5:17-20)

Jesus did indeed sweep away the man made laws and codifications such as the
Mishna  and  magnified  and  made honorable the Law of God which has always
been God's law of Love in both the OT and the NT.

ejalbert@phoenix.princeton.edu (Edmund Jason Albert) (11/17/89)

In article <Nov.15.03.57.58.1989.12620@athos.rutgers.edu> davidbu@tekigm2.men.tek.com (David Buxton) writes:
>"The Lord . . . . will magnify the law, and make it honorable."  (Isa. 42:21)
>Prophecy fulfilled:
>     "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the  Prophets;  I
>     have  not  come  to  abolish them but to fulfill them.... (Matt. 5:17-20)
>Jesus did indeed sweep away the man made laws and codifications such as the
>Mishna  and  magnified  and  made honorable the Law of God which has always
>been God's law of Love in both the OT and the NT.

If one believes Matt. 5:17-20, then how can Paul say that he is free
from the Law, that circumcision is no longer necessary, that dietary
rules need not be followed, etc?

Jason Albert
Princeton University

[There are a couple of possible answers.  One is that Jesus didn't
abolish the Law, but the Law was part of a covenant with the Jews, and
applied only to them.  That is almost certainly the interpretation
used by much of the Church.  Possibly it was also Paul's.  He
certainly contrasts the covenant with Moses -- which involves the Law
-- with the covenant with Abraham -- which is based on faith.  Note
also the comment in Mat 5:18 that nothing will pass from the law
"until all is accomplished".  There is some evidence for a Jewish
exegetical tradition saying that in the end times, the Law will no
longer be valid.  Paul may have thought that in Christ's death "all in
accomplished", and the Law no longer applies.  --clh]

firth@sei.cmu.edu (11/20/89)

[The Christian and the Law]

Please permit me to offer a personal perspective on the
relationship between a Christian and the Law as we find
it in the Old Testament.  Previous discussion has wondered
whether Jesus repealed, fulfilled, or somehow changed the
Law, and others have asked why Christians don't feel bound
by all the detailed regulations in Leviticus and elsewhere.

Let me offer an analogy.  If you look at the statute laws
of some States in this Union, as they were in, say, 1850,
you will find a lot of legislation about slaves.  About
importing them, buying and selling them, proper and improper
treatment, disputes over ownership, status of fugitives,
and much more.

Now, on 1865 December 18, something very strange happened
to these laws.  They were not repealed or amended individually;
the 'letter of the law' remained on the statute book.  But
they all suddenly ceased to be operative.  The reason was not
a change in the law; it was a change in US, in the human
condition.  At that moment, the Thirteenth Amendment abolished
slavery, and hence made obsolete all laws relating thereto.

Similarly, on Good Friday 781AUC, something very strange
happened to the old Law, and for the same reason.  By His
Atonement, Christ changed for ever the human condition, so
that the Law and the Covenant no longer applied.  Before
His sacrifice, we were separated from God, related to him
by commandments, and laws, and contracts.  Thereafter, we
are reconciled to God, and our relation with him is forever
different.  In the terms of the Prophecy of Elias, the Age of
the Law ended, and the Age of Grace began.

But the change is not in the Law, but in us: we that were
slaves to sin are now free men in Christ.

davidbu@tekigm2.men.tek.com (David Buxton) (11/20/89)

idea that the Law was ended, I suggested a couple of answers.  One is
that Jesus didn't abolish the Law, but the Law was part of a covenant
with the Jews, and applied only to them. --clh]

How can this be when we see so many places where Paul, as a Christian
after Jesus has returned to His Father, speaking with such high regard
for the 'law'.  Paul spoke as a Christian to an audiance of Christians
plus those that he wished to convert to Christianity.

> He certainly contrasts the covenant with Moses -- which involves the Law
> -- with the covenant with Abraham -- which is based on faith.  Note
> also the comment in Mat 5:18 that nothing will pass from the law
> "until all is accomplished".

My Bible clearly says - not until heaven and earth pass away.  Sounds to
me like the 2nd Coming of Jesus.  And there are texts that for example
say clearly that the Sabbath will be kept in heaven.

>                                There is some evidence for a Jewish
> exegetical tradition saying that in the end times, the Law will no
> longer be valid.  Paul may have thought that in Christ's death "all is
> accomplished", and the Law no longer applies.  --clh]

Which nuiance of the 'law' will not be valid?  Certainly not God's law
written by His own hand.  And again - Paul in enough places speaks so
highly of the 'law'.

Dave (David E. Buxton)

davidbu@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM

davidbu@tekigm2.men.tek.com (David Buxton) (11/24/89)

In article <Nov.19.14.31.14.1989.13660@athos.rutgers.edu>, firth@sei.cmu.edu writes:
> [The Christian and the Law]

> {The Analogy of slave laws and these slave laws becoming obsolete
   when slavery was abolished.}

I saw this as a very good analogy but wish to modify the application.
Those laws, ordinances and ceremonies that were 'shadows' of the
cross to come became obsolete at the cross.  This is why we no longer
sacrifice lambs.

Another set of laws became obsolete for a different reason.  Moses
wrote the laws - cited as laws that are against us - with which to
administer the camp of Israel.  These were local ordinances.  Israel
was also in the context of a theocracy.  God was their God and their
King.  Under a theocracy rule they were ruled by the word of prophets
of God under the direction of God.  Later they came to insist upon
having kings.  Later they rejected and killed the Son of God.  The
theocracy relationship was utterly broken.  These Mosaic laws of
administration became obsolete as the theocracy relationship dissolved.
Certainly - if you were to break a Mosaic law that called for the death
penalty - your church would not convene to administer this penalty.
These laws of death, these laws that were against us, were done away
with.  They became obsolete.  The laws of each particular country
convene to condemn you if you break them.  You are obligated to these
laws of the land as long as they do not rule against the law of God.
You should obey God rather than man.  How can you judge when man's
law comes in conflict with God's law unless you know what is God's law.

At the core center stands the decalogue written by the hand of God and
clearly not made obsolete.  Outside of this core center it is not quite
so clear what laws are obsolete, what are worth learning from, and
what can directly be applied today.  At the core center - the decalogue -
there should be no argument - this is eternal law written by the hand
of God.  Outside of that core center there may well be some uncertainty
from person to person as to which particular law still stands.  I
believe a study of the whole is worth each persons time so as to
personally, guided by the Holy Spirit, each can make his own choices.
Reading the NT I believe it is clear that when Jesus said the law would
not change He was clearly including all of the Decalogue.  Do as
Paul advised - he sited the Bereans as an example - study the scriptures
to see if these things are true.  Study the writings of Paul in the
context of the whole Bible.

> But the change is not in the Law, but in us: we that were
> slaves to sin are now free men in Christ.

I agree with this statement as long as you date the cross correctly.
If I come to the cross today then today is the day on which I am
freed of having to keep the law.  Now I can ask my Lord Jesus Christ
to keep the law in me.  I am not saved by the works that I do.  I am
saved by the works that Jesus performs in me.  I am not saved by a
keeping of the law.  I am saved by the law that Jesus keeps in me.
The NT makes it abundantly clear that I am held accountable to the
law.  I cannot keep it and so I am doomed.  Christ can keep it in me
and that is the vital difference between legalism and a Christ filled,
spirit filled, love filled - keeping of the law.  This is the only
type of law keeping that can save.

Dave (David E. Buxton)

davidbu@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM

levy@ttbcad.att.com (Daniel R Levy) (11/24/89)

In article <Nov.19.14.31.14.1989.13660@athos.rutgers.edu>, firth@sei.cmu.edu writes:
> [The Christian and the Law]
>
> Please permit me to offer a personal perspective on the
> relationship between a Christian and the Law as we find
> it in the Old Testament.  Previous discussion has wondered
> whether Jesus repealed, fulfilled, or somehow changed the
> Law, and others have asked why Christians don't feel bound
> by all the detailed regulations in Leviticus and elsewhere.

(see below)

> Let me offer an analogy.

[U.S. abolition of slavery::antebellum slave statutes == \
	Jesus' atonement through crucifixion/death::Old Testament laws]

> In the terms of the Prophecy of Elias, the Age of
> the Law ended, and the Age of Grace began.

Could you please give a biblical reference?  Despite some digging, I can't
find this prophecy in my bible.  I have no reason to disbelieve what you said;
I just want to read and understand the verses and their context for myself.

There's a simpler explanation for why [modern] Christians aren't bound by the
Levitical regulations.  Almost all modern Christians aren't Jewish (according
to the traditional Jewish definition of matrilineal descent).  As related in
chapter 15 of Acts, the early church declared that gentiles need only follow
a severely abridged version of the Jewish Law in order to be accepted into the
church.  Acts 15:10-11 (Peter speaking): "Now therefore why do you put God to
the test by placing upon the neck of the disciples a yoke which neither our
fathers nor we have been able to bear?  But we believe that we are saved
through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they also are."
Acts 15:28-29 (a letter from the church elders and apostles to the gentile
Christians in Antioch, Syria, and Cicilia): "For it seemed good to the Holy
Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater burden than these essentials:
that you abstain from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from
things strangled and from fornication:  if you keep yourselves free from
such things, you will do well.  Farewell."

Since Peter had Jesus' authorization to declare what is bound and loosed in
heaven (Matthew 17:19), and he assented to this abridgment, that seems to be
the last word on the matter.

--
Daniel R. Levy             UNIX(R) mail:  att!ttbcad!levy, att!cbnewsc!levy
AT&T Bell Laboratories